Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question for Stamp Company Owners

Let's say you own a company that makes and sells stamps directly to the consumer. And, you sell these stamps through other retailers.

Do you prefer if the customer buys them directly from you or through the other retailer(s)?

I like to support the owners, but figure there must be a reason for selling them through other markets as well.

So, how do you want my money???:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question, Joan!
I have wondered this myself!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Good question!

Although I would guess that it is better to order from them if possible. And the other retail outlets are there for those who are newer and may not know of the company well enough to order directly.

It would seem like other online retailers add to a business, but direct orders are the most beneficial. That is until you get so big that no one orders from you anymore because your products are everywhere, like Inkadinkado for example.

I'll be curious to read the "real" responses!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I would think for you, as a customer, it would be better to order directly from the company owner because you know right away whether or not they have it in stock... no need for a "middle man" -- also not the possibility of higher mark-up from another retailer-- not sure what the owner's preference would be, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting question, Joan! I'll be standing by, waiting to hear how they want my $$!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:23 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Hmmm...Interesting...VERY interesting...I never thought of this! Great question, standing by
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Thats a great question! Personally, Im just thrilled when folks like our stuff and want to have it in their collection!
I love my retailers, as they help to promote our images. We are a small company, fairly new (about 3 years in business), and we try to carefully screen our retailers so that they have the same commitment to quality and customer service as we do.
We put our website addy on each stamp so that our customers can easily reach us if there is a problem, as we have a 100% happiness guarantee. I adopted this policy from Little Tikes, who years ago put their toll free number on each part of their toys...having 7 children, I loved that!
Back to the main question however. If I sell a stamp to a customer, I get full retail (wholesale plus the mark up). If I sell that same stamp to a retailer, I only get the wholesale price.
One would think that because of this I would much rather sell the stamp myself. This is not necessarily so. Selling a stamp is just part of our job as retailers, and the other part is customer service, and education a lot of the time. Your local stamp store offers so much more hands on service with the sale of a stamp than I do when it is mail ordered. This may help my sales greatly in the long run.
I spend many hours each day explaining the difference between Sticky foam, no foam, and Cling foam, and how you would use each type of "unmounted"... and many customers think that because Stampin' Up! sends their stamps un-assembled, that that is the standard for how "unmounted" stamps are sold. This is where a retailer is my best friend, as they can physically show a customer how to put on cling, or use acrylic blocks, or what Tack it over and over glue is... I look at their time they spend with their customers as a priceless trade off for not getting full retail for that stamp sold...as when they do their job and have a happy customer, hopefully that customer will come back and buy more stamps!
Also, even though we are small, having retailers in other countries has helped us greatly to become better known, and that helps our growth, which is good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Very interesting question.

I can't answer as a stamp company owner but i'm sure there are pro's and con's like everything, eg:

Having retailers selling there stamps means they have a constant flow of large orders as with most companies have a minimum purchase and order value so it makes it worth the stamp companies time.

Most companies offer retailers a 50% discount but some only offer 30/40% plus we pay shipping at cost so they don't loose out there.

Very rarely will a retailer carry the whole range of stamps that the manufacturer offer so by having their stamps in other shops it's an advertisement for the stamp company as i'm sure most people once they find a company they love will check them out.

Some people worry about buying internationally so when shops local to these people stock stamps from across the water it's giving the stamp company more customers.

So i think those are the pro's of selling through other shops.

The stamp company will make more money if you buy direct but genarally speaking customer orders aren't as high in value as wholesale orders.

So (and this is my personal opinion) i think the stamp companies need you to do both as it helps increase their profit ordering direct but also by ordering through a third party it keeps the big wholesale orders coming.

Sorry for waffling........lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I have wondered this before too! Great question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

For me the answer is simple - I don't care how you get em, as long as you get em!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:30 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by The MFT LadyView Post
For me the answer is simple - I don't care how you get em, as long as you get em!
Now that I understand!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pickled-TinkView Post
Thats a great question! Personally, Im just thrilled when folks like our stuff and want to have it in their collection!
I love my retailers, as they help to promote our images. We are a small company, fairly new (about 3 years in business), and we try to carefully screen our retailers so that they have the same commitment to quality and customer service as we do.
We put our website addy on each stamp so that our customers can easily reach us if there is a problem, as we have a 100% happiness guarantee. I adopted this policy from Little Tikes, who years ago put their toll free number on each part of their toys...having 7 children, I loved that!
Back to the main question however. If I sell a stamp to a customer, I get full retail (wholesale plus the mark up). If I sell that same stamp to a retailer, I only get the wholesale price.
One would think that because of this I would much rather sell the stamp myself. This is not necessarily so. Selling a stamp is just part of our job as retailers, and the other part is customer service, and education a lot of the time. Your local stamp store offers so much more hands on service with the sale of a stamp than I do when it is mail ordered. This may help my sales greatly in the long run.
I spend many hours each day explaining the difference between Sticky foam, no foam, and Cling foam, and how you would use each type of "unmounted"... and many customers think that because Stampin' Up! sends their stamps un-assembled, that that is the standard for how "unmounted" stamps are sold. This is where a retailer is my best friend, as they can physically show a customer how to put on cling, or use acrylic blocks, or what Tack it over and over glue is... I look at their time they spend with their customers as a priceless trade off for not getting full retail for that stamp sold...as when they do their job and have a happy customer, hopefully that customer will come back and buy more stamps!
Also, even though we are small, having retailers in other countries has helped us greatly to become better known, and that helps our growth, which is good.

I'm sorry, I'm sure everyone else knows this already , but what is your company name?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

High Hopes Stamps is her awesome company.
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
I'm sorry, I'm sure everyone else knows this already , but what is your company name?
High Hopes Rubber Stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Hope no-one minds me answering on their behalf, the company is High Hope Stamps, really beautiful stamps.

I have had quite a few customers asking me to stock these but then explain i can't as i'm not a 'bricks & motor' and send them a direct link to high hope. Fingers crossed it may have brought a sale or two your way. x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Oops sorry we must have posted at the same time......lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

LOL, I wonder if Tina (Pickled-Tink) feels "stalked"?
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by The MFT LadyView Post
Hahaha, I liike that answer! I was thrilled yesterday when I was at my LSS (The Papertree) in Manchester, NH and she announced that she had MFT stamps! She also has LAD, TCP and several other lines! I was there for an A-muse-a-palooza class by the way! I'm really happy to be able to buy stamps at a local store so I can get a better feel for them, the size, etc.; I also would rather not pay shipping if I only want 1 set, (like that ever happens)! Thanks so much for supplying our local stores!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

The smallest of the small art rubber stamp companies always prefer direct sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I didn't know Pickled Tink was the owner of High Hopes. I **LOVE** High Hopes stamps and love it even more that they are Canadian!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A Muse Artstamps wholeheartedly encourages you to support your local retailer, but, recognizes that not everybody has an A Muse retailer within reasonable distance and/or may not carry the full line and will happily fulfill direct orders!
Reply With Quote Likes