Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2008, 05:27 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,411 Likes on 533 Posts
Default Question for demos who make their own minimums...

I've been an SU! demo for two years now and I've recently gone hobby. It was a combination of wanting to and having to (3 kids and husband's work hours getting longer). My business was successful and I never bought any of my stuff - I always earned it for free. Now that I'm hobby, I'm wondering what the heck do you spend $300 a quarter on that you actually use?

So, tell me! I'm curious what you hobby demos buy when you are your only customer! Oh, and do you really use what you buy or do you buy it just to meet your minimums?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use what I buy eventually! I do join swaps that helps "make" me stamp and use my stash. I do have a couple friends that order from time to time and that helps with minimums too. I still have plenty on my wish lists and have not run out of things to buy yet!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

As a hobby demo, I offer my friends free shipping and no tax (which is about 20%). I find that they help me make my minimum and I still get the benefits of seeing the catalog early and all the great specials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

Cardstock and accessories!! With the occasional stamp set thrown in. I'm a scrapbooker and card maker, so I use a lot of cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Cardstock, envelopes, ribbon, sticky strip...I've been making my own minimums for almost 5 years now (selling cards/stationery/announcements on the side). In the beginning, LOTS of rubber! Now, an occasional stamp set, mostly consumables.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I purchase a lot of accessories and am working on the craft ink right now...and of course, stamp sets. Sounds like since you've been a business demo that you probably have all the basics. I do find that I use what I buy, even if it does take some time to get around to it. I am busy with my kids (all still at home other than one in Preschool) too and don't have as much time as I'd like to. Do your former customers have a new demo to order from or would they still be interested in ordering from you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumb question...sorry to hijack...but as a hobby demo, do you not have to file income taxes like a business? That was my husband's biggest concern when I was a CM consultant, and I had to take a loss 2 years in a row because at the time, they didn't have anything for hobbyists. Does anyone know?

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Ditto on offering the discount to my friends. I know it's an unpopular thing among business demos. I do not go after anyone's customers. I do however use it as an incentive to get people who don't have a current demo to order from me. I've only had 1 person who had a big enough order to qualify for the hostess benefits, and of course I had no issue with her getting them. Other than that, I've always gotten that perk so that's a plus in addition to the discount!

If you used to be a business demo, wouldn't you be able to offer your discount to some previous friends/customers to keep the orders coming in? I like it because it's an incentive to them and I stay active without too much effort. I obviously buy the items since I signed up, but I'm not having to come up with the minimum on my own...

"The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it." ~Charles Swindoll
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I eventually had to quit SU! because I was spending so much on minimums on stuff I didn't need. Although I will eventually use up all the cardstock and inks and such, I have a TON of sets that will most likely never see ink. I'll probably try and sell them someday (maybe on ebay when they're long discontinued and therefore "rare"), but until then they're just taking up space.

I have to admit though that I'm still buying some things through a demo friend of mine. It's an addiction - lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I was thinking after 4 or 5 quarters it might get difficult to find 300.00 worth of stuff to want from the catalog. I still get pretty good resale on my retired stuff, so I'm just recycling the money back in.
Reply With Quote Likes