Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for demos

Okay I have waffled back and forth on becoming a demo for several months now. Of course the catalog craze makes me want to jump in even more! My question is basically what are the best times to sign up - iyho? Right now I am committed to a stamp club with my demo until December and can't see doing anything until January. I just can't see spending the $30 for the stamp club min. when I could just get it myself (if I was a demo). So what's January like?

Karen -----> who will eventually have an avatar
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

SU almost always has a special going on in some way. Jan. will bring Sell -a-Bration and then Spring into action. Both are a great way to earn extra stamps thru sales. I joined in August I think. Don't really remember. :oops:

As an extra little tip...as Jan comes closer, you might want to look at setting up some workshops just to give you that nice little boost. Get organized as much as possible, and set some goals. Any of us would be more than happy to help you. Talk with your demo and see what she has to offer in advice and such. She may have some ideas too.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I too was part of a club when I signed up to be a demo. I had 5 months to go and stuck with it for ideas and to pick up little tidbits on how to better my business. My min. was only $15 and my demo (who I signed up under) was generous enough to give me the 20% discount. Not all do that but I think if you were to talk with your demo. that you may be able to work something out. after all, she will still make money off you one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 10:57 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kookie
My min. was only $15 and my demo (who I signed up under) was generous enough to give me the 20% discount. Not all do that but I think if you were to talk with your demo. that you may be able to work something out. after all, she will still make money off you one way or the other.
Hmmm....Maybe she'd be willing to do that for me - didn't think about that....If SU ends up with a great incentive in August I will have to ask her about that. I was kind of bummed when she told me I'd still be obligated :(

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

"Still be obligated" sounds kind of harsh to me. I would be happy that someone is wanting to sign up under me and help them in anyway to make it a smooth transision(sp?) Regardless of weither it is for the discount or to start a business.
I know what it is like to lose someone from a club but there should be exceptions especially when it is when someone is looking to become a demonstrator.
I would be re-thinking about signing up under her unless she is a good friend... JMO
Every demo does it different I guess. I was fortunate to have a very understanding and flexible demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 01:30 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

From what I understand, July and January are the best months to sign up because you do not have to meet your quarterly requirement for 6 months whereas normally you have to have your minimum requirement of $300 in 3 months so that is a definite benefit of signing up now. When I signed up it was in Feb. of last year so missed out on that but I didn't know this information until just recently when I was going to sign on my 1st recruit (which will be next week ). I was also in a club and signed up under that demo. She never made me do any minimums after I signed under her and let me still come to the club meetings as part of her downline. Getting a discount from your demo before signing on is great but to actually sign on and get the discount, the end of the month bonus check and the bonus rewards are even better! Just my 2cents! HTH!

Good Luck!
Kara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I had someone sign up with Stampin' Up! during our stamp club period. There was only one party left, so I actually bought the $25 minimum for my new recruit that month. Talk to your demonstrator I'm sure you can work something out that is good for both of you.

Good luck! Stampin' Up! is a great company to do business with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2004, 09:16 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default anytime is a good time to sign up but..

certain months have different promotions, they aren't guaranteed of course but in the past there have been a few.
Last August there was a promotion of a percentage off, but they won't be doing that this August because 1) They already discounted the kit 10% and added a few things like rubber scissors & stampin scrub! AWESOME! and because they are doing a hostess promotion this August. During Sell-a-bration they generally offer another sellabration set for free when you sign up during that time. And in May there is usually some kind of stamp set offered as incentive, like one of the level 3 hostess sets. That's what I received when I signed up 2 Mays ago, and they did the same thing this may.

Anytime you sign up you are not responsible for any sales in the current quarter. So if you were to sign up in Jan, Feb or Mar it wouldn't matter, you are not responsible for sales until the following quarter, April, May & June. I hope that makes sense. Being a demonstrator is FABULOUS, and now with new & improved kit, and the add on packs & the newsletter, anytime is a great time!

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2004, 06:02 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I signed up the end of December and had my first workshops in January. By signing up before the end of year, I had plenty of time to prepare for my workshops. I jumped into January full-force. My first weekend as a Demonstrator I had 3 workshops and had over $3000 in sales for the month. During Sell-A-Bration high sales are easy because everyone wants to spend $50 to earn thier free set, or $100 to earn two, or $150 to earn 3 or $200 to earn all! I had lots lots of customers who earned them all!!! Not to mention how many I earned myself. Good Luck!!!

But also, I do remember that last year they did have the kit on sale in August or September...I can't remember. It was before I became a Demo, so I don't know if they do that every year.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2004, 06:46 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a thought - if you sign under your current demo then you may be able to "sell your spot"... You may find someone who would be willing to join in and take your stamp club spot. I know the same thing happened recently to my demo and she just sent out an email to her customers and was able to find a new person to take advantage of the stamp camp within days! Just a thought if you want to get started now!!
Good luck to you
Shelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2004, 05:51 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Hi all!

Just wanted to thank you all for the advice! My demo did tell me I would have to find someone to take my place if I got out of the club to be a demo. Honestly, I really don't know anyone and I guess she's had a hard enough time just to get 5 people for my group (I think she's filling the last spot). I guess I'll wait until January but let me tell ya I was ready to sign on the dotted line! Now I'm just crabby cuz of all the new stuff I want and will have to purchase through her - I know I could meet my minimums easily this time around anyway I guess I was expecting her to say hey if you want to do it we'll work something out. Makes me a little leary in some ways

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2004, 06:10 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

"Still be obligated" sounds kind of harsh to me. I would be re-thinking about signing up under her unless she is a good friend... JMO

I agree. She should at least give you the 20%. Think hard about signing on with her, you want to be sure that your up-line is supportive to you.

~Elaine~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2004, 09:36 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default need new demo!!!

I would highly recommend that you think this one through. Not that your upline is everything, but it can certainly make your stampin' experience that much better. Mine is a relative that I'm not getting along with, and it makes things really difficult. Fortunately, my sideline and upper level uplines (2nd & 3rd) make things awesome. I would even consider dropping out and resigning, but like I said...we're related.

Do some research. See if there's someone else near you that you like better. It might be more worth it to give her the rest of the money you owe for the club and sign up next month and just forget about it. Depends on what you're getting out of the club!
Reply With Quote Likes