Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,164 Likes on 498 Posts
Default Question about watermarks

Hello Everyone,
I have questions about watermarks
How many different types watermarks is there?
How do you make a watermark?

I have digital stamp friend who get me her freebies tho email I put my pinrested Board But, she has asked me to make them watermark. So no one still them off my pinrested Board. I asked her how would I be able to used them to give to my friends. My friend don't wanted card I made them for birthday with watermark on them. But, I also to her I would do the watermark. But, I need to how to do? And she never get back with me. So, if I save digital images on my pinrested Board. How do I make water marks on them? Can I removed marked? If I used the images to use and print out and used for my friends? I hope someone can help answers. What kind of software I do need to add and removed watermarked? Thanks Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2022, 10:11 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

It seems to me that one easy solution would be not to put those images on Pinterest, just store them on your computer. Then you wouldn't need to worry about people stealing them in the first place. Or can you have a private Pinterest board? I'm sure I've heard people mention that.
creating a watermark is easy enough, but if you add it to an image, then you will need to be able to save it in such a way that you can remove it again for your own use. I personally do this in GIMP. If I save a file in GIMPs own format (xcf), then the layers stay separate. But if I save it as a jpg or PNG - well, then it's like sticking the watermark to your image permanently. That's why I think just not using Pinterest would be an easy way round this. I don't really use Photoshop for watermarking but I'm sure it would have the same facility. But if you save your file as a JPEG or PNG, then that is a permanent action, the watermark cannot be removed.

In terms of digital images, there is really only one type. It consists of your chosen text/image, but instead of being on a white background, the background is transparent so that when you layer it on top of your photo/image, it doesn't cover anything up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 03:43 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I wouldn't share them on Pinterest, especially if someone else designed them and gave them to me for free. You can also make your board private, but why not just save them on your computer instead of Pinterest? It's a lot easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 05:29 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I would not put any digital images on a Pinterest board, public or private (if there is ever a problem with Pinterest and you can't get to your digital images, all is lost-back up with a thumb drive for safe keeping). Store in your computer (this is what I do), then you don't have to worry about putting a water mark on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 01:39 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks ladies you all think me. I have them save my computer at first But then I got to thinking that is taken hard space and memory. And them I thought I make different Pinterest boards. That way it's not taken all the hard space and memory up. and it will be back up on Pinterest boards. And that way I want lost anything. I have family picture on Pinterest boards. And have two thumb drive full stuffed too. I always looked at Pinterest as storage place. Am I looked Pinterest wrong in everyone opntion? Your not going to hurt my feelings on this! But, I do want your feed back on the last question please! Thanks Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,856 Posts

I do not use Pinterest like you do for a backup. I make my own backups on my computer, well my husband does. He bought a flash drive or a specific drive for backing up the computer, which is then stored is a safe place. As far as using anything online for your backup purposes, you are not in control of that backup or what is going to happen to those images. If all is on your computer, you are in control of what happens and the backing up that happens.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Scrapjanny (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 03:06 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a Google email account? If you do, then you can save your images in Google Drive, or in Google Images (fairly easy, but search YouTube if you need help). That puts them safely in the cloud, should anything happen to your computer. You can also access them from anywhere, as long as you can remember your Google login information. If you don't have an account, it's free and easy to sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I would not use an online source for backup for any personal pictures, documents, files, digital or crafting stuff. What if Pinterest closes with no notification, what if your internet goes down for an undetermined amount of time.
If you back up with thumb drive or flash/removable hard drive, you are safe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 04:05 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank for you in put! I know more computer than my dad. But, when try back window it fells And don't know it until ready to used it go figure than I am out luck. But backup digital images no problem. Thanks Linda

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
I do not use Pinterest like you do for a backup. I make my own backups on my computer, well my husband does. He bought a flash drive or a specific drive for backing up the computer, which is then stored is a safe place. As far as using anything online for your backup purposes, you are not in control of that backup or what is going to happen to those images. If all is on your computer, you are in control of what happens and the backing up that happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 04:31 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

yes I have free email Google But, I don't anything google diver or google image. I thought they only allowed some much free space and then they charge you? Witch one do you used? Do you like one over? Can you use both at the same at the time meaning has both accounts google diver or google image. how dose the cloud work? I don't have a cell phone. Do you need a cell phone for cloud or the programs you talking about? Thanks Linda

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casa1View Post
Do you have a Google email account? If you do, then you can save your images in Google Drive, or in Google Images (fairly easy, but search YouTube if you need help). That puts them safely in the cloud, should anything happen to your computer. You can also access them from anywhere, as long as you can remember your Google login information. If you don't have an account, it's free and easy to sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 04:36 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I would not use an online source for backup for any personal pictures, documents, files, digital or crafting stuff. What if Pinterest closes with no notification, what if your internet goes down for an undetermined amount of time.
If you back up with thumb drive or flash/removable hard drive, you are safe.
I have things in the the place you say I am good. Just trying learn options too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 07:14 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Google gives you 15 GB of free storage per account/email. Whether you use Drive or Photo (sorry, it's not called Image) is up to you. I think it's really just how you want to organize things. Photos is only for photos and videos, but Drive can be for almost anything (files, PDFs, pictures, etc). If you have more than 15 GB of data, it is only $20 per year to move up to 100 GB. However, you can also just open a new Google account by signing up for another email, and you will have another 15 GB of free storage.
You don't need a cell phone. I mostly only use Drive and Photo on my computer, because I prefer the big screen and keyboard. In order to use either Drive or Photos, type Google.com into your search bar and hit enter. The main Google page should pop up. You might have to sign into your account at this point, if you're not always logged in like most people. In the far right corner, you should see 9 tiny dots. Click on that, and you will find Drive, Photos, Maps, Chrome, and many other cool things. Click on Drive, and a new window will appear. To load things into Drive, click the "+ New" in the Upper Left. To upload pictures into Photos, click on Photos (in the 9 dots) and look for an 'upload' button in the Upper Right.
If I were new to this, I would upload something to both Drive and Photos, and see which I like better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I forgot to mention, when you're in Drive or Photos, there will be a tiny cloud image on the left hand side, about mid-page, with the word "Storage" and a bar showing how much of your free 15 GB you're currently using. If you're already using a lot of storage, that probably means you have many, many old emails that you might want to consider trimming.

(PS: I only use Google cloud as a backup, and for things I might want to access from multiple places, like when traveling. I also keep anything important on my main computer and on an external backup drive.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 09:34 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

hotwheels- Everything I am going to write is very kind.

I am begging you do not watermark another artist's images. Don't do it! As a professional artist I would be furious if I saw a Pinterest board with my images and they were watermarked not by me. I would think you were trying to steal and claim my images as your own. I know most artists would feel the same way.

I think your intentions are very sweet. You are trying to be protective of another artists creations. Professional artist's go through theft practically daily in a tech world. Good intentions or not it hurts us. I know you are a sweetheart & are trying to do what is right. Artist's that don't know you will there first instinct would be "she is a thief."

I also want to bring up that even if your friend was ok with this and you did it. Another Pinterest user could report you that you are stealing images from your friend, even though she gave you permission. Then Pinterest will be on you with those letters.

I have a friend who was starting a digital store. This was years ago this happened. She asked me if I would share her work on my Pinterest board. She was offering free images if I would link the free images to her site. It was all very legitimate. I got reported for theft by a Pinterest user. It was unbelievable. Even my Pinterest board said these were free images to help support my friends new store, please don't do this, blah, blah, blah. I had no watermarks, lol. Everything was linked to her site, approved by my friend, who was a follower on my boards.

Then this woman went over and reported to my friend what a bad person I was. My friend told her she asked me to do that to help promote her. You know what the lady said "Well, I don't approve of your methods and I am letting everyone know." This is a beloved digital rubber stamp store. Then the lady went around on social media trying to get my friend "cancelled" for trying to promote her digital store legitimately. It was bonker's crazy. Even Pinterest told us they were sorry. The cancel thing actually worked in my friends favor and she got lots of sales because people thought this was bonkers too. This is why my friend now has a beloved digital stamp store, lol.

Clearly, bless her, the woman had some mental health issues or had something going on in her life to rage like that. Even though I try to put myself in this woman's shoes it was still very hurtful, made me angry & leery. Even though it worked out for my friend she is really soured on the digital stamping community now and has lost some trust. You are taught how to promote and then you do it and get hurt anyway. I don't want you to go through that or your friend to go through that. Please, pretty please, leave her images off your Pinterest site.

If you are worried about hard drive space you can store images in a cloud server. There are good legitimate ones you can pay for monthly like Google if you go over their free limit. Amazon Prime even lets you store things on their cloud servers. I actually do use Amazon Prime to store some things. You can get external hard drives affordably now. USB sticks are practically cheaper than a box of cereal. External hard drives won't use your memory. Neither will thumb drives. I do IT work too. Trust me on this. ;)

Now, on to watermarks. If you want to watermark a birthday card you made. That is fine. Your friend should not ask you to watermark cards with images you used from her. I think that is drawing a kind of ethical angel policy line there. She needs to put that in her TOU/TOS file she sends along with the image. I am going to make an assumption that your friend is just starting out and learning ins and outs too. I understand she is trying to be protective of her work. She does need to clearly state that in her TOU/TOS. Most stampers will be good about following her guidelines. The ones who might be uncomfortable with that, understandably, will know this in advance. It will save a lot of hurt/angry/cancel culture feelings all around. I don't want your friend having to deal with keyboard warriors because she is trying to protect her own work.

The card you made is your creation and you are legally allowed to put a watermark on it so you can protect your own creation. Many cardmaker's do watermark their cards. You know Ebay sellers go over looking for cards made with a certain stamp they are trying to sell. They upload an image of the card as an example to help sell their stamp. That card was not their creation but it sure looks like it was since they are using it in their store. That is one example. Now a cardmaker got her creation "stolen". Yes, watermark your cards is fine. Don't watermark original digital images in their pure form.

It's very easy to make a watermark. Type in the digital program you are using and use this search term Name of digital program watermark tutorial. For example- Gimp watermark tutorial. You will get lots of good hits. There are billion's of watermarks including some that are embedded in the images. Some of my artwork has these because they are through a gaming company I freelance for.

I know this was long again, sorry. I am trying to cover a lot here. Any questions, anyone, please don't be afraid to ask.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2022, 10:33 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Unless you have an enormous amount of digital images, I doubt you need to worry about exceeding Google's free storage. I have all the photos from my blog, photo albums from trips and outings - and still it's old emails that are taking up most of my space allowance! And that's going back over 12 years and I still haven't reached the free limit yet. You don't need a cell phone, the same storage is available to you from your PC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I understand what read but, you miss understand. my friend wanted to watermark. So people don't just take the digital stamp off Pinterest board, Her point was you can sign up for her freebies. I wanted to obey her wishes. Do watermark But she never got back with me. When Ask her how watermarks? But she did say that If I make a can used one of her images. But, made card watermark. And I ask her I said who would wanted card you make with a watermark on it? I think that argufy. So another words if I used my friend digital stamped image. And wanted to get you for what every reason I think she tell watermark on the card I made I don't think right! That way I have put the watermark on them plus I don't know how to do that! Thanks Linda

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
hotwheels- Everything I am going to write is very kind.

I am begging you do not watermark another artist's images. Don't do it! As a professional artist I would be furious if I saw a Pinterest board with my images and they were watermarked not by me. I would think you were trying to steal and claim my images as your own. I know most artists would feel the same way.

I think your intentions are very sweet. You are trying to be protective of another artists creations. Professional artist's go through theft practically daily in a tech world. Good intentions or not it hurts us. I know you are a sweetheart & are trying to do what is right. Artist's that don't know you will there first instinct would be "she is a thief."

I also want to bring up that even if your friend was ok with this and you did it. Another Pinterest user could report you that you are stealing images from your friend, even though she gave you permission. Then Pinterest will be on you with those letters.

I have a friend who was starting a digital store. This was years ago this happened. She asked me if I would share her work on my Pinterest board. She was offering free images if I would link the free images to her site. It was all very legitimate. I got reported for theft by a Pinterest user. It was unbelievable. Even my Pinterest board said these were free images to help support my friends new store, please don't do this, blah, blah, blah. I had no watermarks, lol. Everything was linked to her site, approved by my friend, who was a follower on my boards.

Then this woman went over and reported to my friend what a bad person I was. My friend told her she asked me to do that to help promote her. You know what the lady said "Well, I don't approve of your methods and I am letting everyone know." This is a beloved digital rubber stamp store. Then the lady went around on social media trying to get my friend "cancelled" for trying to promote her digital store legitimately. It was bonker's crazy. Even Pinterest told us they were sorry. The cancel thing actually worked in my friends favor and she got lots of sales because people thought this was bonkers too. This is why my friend now has a beloved digital stamp store, lol.

Clearly, bless her, the woman had some mental health issues or had something going on in her life to rage like that. Even though I try to put myself in this woman's shoes it was still very hurtful, made me angry & leery. Even though it worked out for my friend she is really soured on the digital stamping community now and has lost some trust. You are taught how to promote and then you do it and get hurt anyway. I don't want you to go through that or your friend to go through that. Please, pretty please, leave her images off your Pinterest site.

If you are worried about hard drive space you can store images in a cloud server. There are good legitimate ones you can pay for monthly like Google if you go over their free limit. Amazon Prime even lets you store things on their cloud servers. I actually do use Amazon Prime to store some things. You can get external hard drives affordably now. USB sticks are practically cheaper than a box of cereal. External hard drives won't use your memory. Neither will thumb drives. I do IT work too. Trust me on this. ;)

Now, on to watermarks. If you want to watermark a birthday card you made. That is fine. Your friend should not ask you to watermark cards with images you used from her. I think that is drawing a kind of ethical angel policy line there. She needs to put that in her TOU/TOS file she sends along with the image. I am going to make an assumption that your friend is just starting out and learning ins and outs too. I understand she is trying to be protective of her work. She does need to clearly state that in her TOU/TOS. Most stampers will be good about following her guidelines. The ones who might be uncomfortable with that, understandably, will know this in advance. It will save a lot of hurt/angry/cancel culture feelings all around. I don't want your friend having to deal with keyboard warriors because she is trying to protect her own work.

The card you made is your creation and you are legally allowed to put a watermark on it so you can protect your own creation. Many cardmaker's do watermark their cards. You know Ebay sellers go over looking for cards made with a certain stamp they are trying to sell. They upload an image of the card as an example to help sell their stamp. That card was not their creation but it sure looks like it was since they are using it in their store. That is one example. Now a cardmaker got her creation "stolen". Yes, watermark your cards is fine. Don't watermark original digital images in their pure form.

It's very easy to make a watermark. Type in the digital program you are using and use this search term Name of digital program watermark tutorial. For example- Gimp watermark tutorial. You will get lots of good hits. There are billion's of watermarks including some that are embedded in the images. Some of my artwork has these because they are through a gaming company I freelance for.

I know this was long again, sorry. I am trying to cover a lot here. Any questions, anyone, please don't be afraid to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2022, 09:05 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

HotWheels I think I understand what she wants you to do for a watermark. You are saying your friend wants you to add a watermark to the physical card you made. You would have to glue it on there?

Don’t do that. Just don’t. That is just wrong on so many levels. I think many of the store owners here would agree with me. I don’t even think that is legal, not even if you are on a Design Team.

Can you imagine if we all had to start watermarking every little image, stamp image or die cuts on our cards? We have no room on our cards, lol. It would be full of watermarks.

Now, if she is asking you to add a watermark to card you made that you are taking a photo of and uploading to Pinterest. That is a little different.

If it is your own card design you uploaded using one of her images as part of the card design you don’t have to watermark it unless it is in her TOU/TOS that was sent along with the image, The TOU/TOS will be a PDF, Text, or Image file outlining what you can do or not do with her image.

If there was no TOU/TOS included or the TOU/TOS has no mention of watermarks then you don’t have to add a watermark. I know it sounds harsh but this is on your friend and not you. She is the business owner and you are a customer. She should not expect you to run her business or follow rules that were not set clearly, even if it’s free images.

Your friend needs to face it but you alone will not stop from getting her images “stolen” from Pinterest. Somebody else will just upload her file, then another, and another. For every person who does the right thing three others won’t do the right thing. Two of those offenders made an honest mistake but her image is a free for all for everyone on the Internet. It is not up to the customer to prevent theft. It is up to her to limit it.

Do you have a graphic program you already use? We can all help you find tutorials to create a watermark. Just let us know which program you use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2022, 06:43 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

Linda, one thing you could do would be to get an external storage device. they sell these at stores like staples and you can find them online at say Amazon or Best buy. ( pretty much anywhere anymore) it will be a box with a cord that has a usb plug most likely and you can "back up" everything to that box so that if your computer fails you have that back up box with all your precious things in it. and you could train yourself to have the habit to auto save things to folders in that box so that your computer is not being filled with all the info.

I really don't think you need to go to the hassle of watermarking everything just for storage purposes if things are not being stored in a cloud or on pinterest. Pinterest is owned by Facebook and they have made so many changes to that site over the years I think that would scare me silly to use it as a back up.

I am going to put in a link to what an external hard drive looks like so you can see one. this link will go to Amazon. I own this particular brand in various sizes of storage at work and at home and that is a peace of mind for me. I have not had any of my external drives fail.
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Porta...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2022, 10:02 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you., I did know Pinteres was owned by Facebook!
Linda

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
Linda, one thing you could do would be to get an external storage device. they sell these at stores like staples and you can find them online at say Amazon or Best buy. ( pretty much anywhere anymore) it will be a box with a cord that has a usb plug most likely and you can "back up" everything to that box so that if your computer fails you have that back up box with all your precious things in it. and you could train yourself to have the habit to auto save things to folders in that box so that your computer is not being filled with all the info.

I really don't think you need to go to the hassle of watermarking everything just for storage purposes if things are not being stored in a cloud or on pinterest. Pinterest is owned by Facebook and they have made so many changes to that site over the years I think that would scare me silly to use it as a back up.

I am going to put in a link to what an external hard drive looks like so you can see one. this link will go to Amazon. I own this particular brand in various sizes of storage at work and at home and that is a peace of mind for me. I have not had any of my external drives fail.
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Porta...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
JBgreendawn (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 05:48 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

they own instagram too.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2022, 10:23 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Saving images

I back up my digis to a flash drive. I make a folder in it, and when it gets to the size of a cd 's storage amount, then I burn it to a cd. Then i open and name another folder (#2 etc.)and start saving to that folder. I print out an index, so i know what is on each cd and flash drive. Hope that makes sense. Im sure there are easier ways, but that works for me. I often burn them twice, as i have gotten bad discs before too.

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 05-07-2022 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes