Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to chrise16
Question Question about placing my first order

I'm a new demonstrator (just sent in my form today! ) and I'm already thinking about what to get when I place my first order. I have a budget of $250. Other than the set of Many Marvelous Markers, what do you suggest I invest in? More stamps? More cardstock? Embellishments? :confused: I want to keep my workshops simple and fun, so with that said... any ideas??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I also sent my paperwork in today to be a demo. I've got my first order all lined up. Someone told me to get the things that you have to replenish, like paper for instance. But I couldn't resist getting the more expensive sets I want like "wild rose".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 06:56 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

It was recommended to me by my upline that when you are placing orders, start at the back of the catalogue and work your way to the front. Accessories and embellishments are things that people don't really think about buying unless someone demos them. If customers don't like the stamp set you are showing, they won't buy it, but they will buy things like ribbon, brads and accessories! So now everytime I place an order I start with those things as well as paper and inks, and then with any money I have left to spend I order one or two stamp sets.
I know when I placed my first order, I had been trying to narrow it down for about 3 weeks before I actually went ahead and ordered!
Good luck!
Carmen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I recommend getting a second black inkpad, as well as another color or two that you plan on using for your first workshop. My first two workshops had 8-10 people; it was time consuming to have them wait as the pads were passed around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

My first suggestion would be to go here to read about joining the Demo Only forums. You will find oodles of good info and advice about every aspect of demo-hood. Yeah, we talk about stampin', of course, lol, but also about the business stuff...nuts and bolts of running workshops, etc.

As for what to start investing in, the basic consumables are so nice to have! All the colors in at least one medium (chalks, ink pads, markers, whatever). All the cardstock colors, at least the basic 48 and a few of the neutrals (black, sahara sand, vanilla, white), etc. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing a project you would like to demo and not have the right materials! For paper, anyway, you can start out with assortment packs so you can at least make card samples, even if you don't have enough to do in a workshop.

Tools are so important, too! I am not a high seller by ANY yardstick, lol, but even I generally sell at least one of whatever tool I demo. Everybody has different tastes in stamps, but tools are universal. Yes, even the Fiskars paper trimmer...I had a stamp camp built around teaching how to use the cutter (to beginners) and sold 3 out of 4! Tools are the kind of thing that need to be shown for people to buy, much more so than stamps.

Duplicates are a good idea, as has been mentioned. Chances are you may already be getting duplicates in your kit...stamp cleaner, black pad, etc. Stop and think about workshops you have attended and visualize what it would have been nice to have more than one of available. Scissors, adhesives, that kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I am too a demonstrator and the way that I look at it is we are all different, get things that you like because you will see that image in a different way then other people might. So how you might use it they may have never thought about using it that way which would then make them think twice before not buying it. The other thing is with my first class I used one product in three different ways so that they can see that you just don't have to use the stamp set or accessory in only one way and it is then worth the investment that they will have to HAVE in their Hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

My upline gave me this advice almost 10 years ago when I started....
Invest in cardstock, accessories, tools, pads, and markers.
As far as stamp sets goes.....buy what you like. You should like the stamp sets you purchase because you have to live with them....and demo them.

I know not everyone that see what you demo are going to like it, but it at least shows them how to use a set they might not have thought about buying. Like others have said too, show different ways to use stamp sets too.
When I first started it was really big to do set samplers. They are made up with 5 or 6 card samples from one stamp set and displayed as desired.
I also don't buy sets from the mini catalogs unless I know I'm going to enjoy them for a long time.
Hope this helps.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

My biggie is cardstock. I learned quickly how frustrating it can be when you don't have the cardstock to create the beautiful sample that you want. Accessories and tools are also great investments. As far as stamps go more is less. That was the hardest thing for me to learn and I'm still trying to be good and learn it. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I know being a demo you have the opportunity to win free stamp sets, but do you get opportunities to win ink pads? I too am gonna send in paper work to become a demo and am making a wish list for my first order items and wasn't sure if the opportunity to get free ink pads was there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 06:36 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I meant to say, a full set of ink pads (12) such as bold brights, earth elements, etc.. not individual ink pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I too sent in my paperwork today and I'm already thinking about what to get when I place my first order.
I can survive any crisis....I have kids
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 08:39 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's easier if you have all of the ink colors and cs. I didn't have them all when I started, but a few here and there really make a difference. Have fun figuring out what to order!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 08:41 PM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by danamy
I know being a demo you have the opportunity to win free stamp sets, but do you get opportunities to win ink pads? I too am gonna send in paper work to become a demo and am making a wish list for my first order items and wasn't sure if the opportunity to get free ink pads was there.
Once you promote to a certain level with sales and 3 recruits, you get a one-time free product order, which can be whatever you want, including ink pads.
Otherwise, you can get ink pads as part of your hostess benefits when you order for classes, etc.

Once you get signed up and have your demo id number, be sure to sign up here on SCS to have access to the demo forums. There is a thread there similar to this, but with tons more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2006, 02:57 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you have a lot of questions. There are ways to earn things -- great rewards, for example. A good upline should be your first source of info (although SCS late at night is pretty good too!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 01:39 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrise16
I'm a new demonstrator (just sent in my form today! ) and I'm already thinking about what to get when I place my first order. I have a budget of $250. Other than the set of Many Marvelous Markers, what do you suggest I invest in? More stamps? More cardstock? Embellishments? :confused: I want to keep my workshops simple and fun, so with that said... any ideas??
Iwould suggest a set of simple to use stamp set such as greeting for all reason it is versitle and easy to use I have been a demonstraitor for over a year now and I use that set often
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 06:47 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
A good upline should be your first source of info (although SCS late at night is pretty good too!).
Hi Christine! This is your "good upline" waving across cyberspace! If it's late at night, ask SCS. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

how nice that you have a nice chunk of change to order with! I didn't have anything but my SK to start me off--that was as big a purchase as DH was going to stomch. : )
I'd get paper, envelopes and a cutter right off the bat. You go through a lot of paper for workshops, and it's very nice to give an envelope with the make n Take so the card is ready to go. Often people will never buy envelopes unless they see how nice ours are.
I agree with not going overboard buying stamps right off the bat--you can actually do an awful lot with just a few good sets and some great accessories. Invest in ink and paper and some fun punches and ribbon.

The cutter is the must-have, though... you'll kick yourself if you end up preparing for a make n Take and cutting out their pieces by hand!!!
Reply With Quote Likes