Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default punches

I am on the "building my arsenal" mission. What punches do you use the most? where do you buy them? what brands do you think are the best and where can you get the best deal?

Thanks again ladies for helping a fellow stamper out!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

The Martha Stewart punches are super easy to use, so are Creative Memories - though I like MS better. The EK success punches (scallops) are great too.

I really use my corner punch, flower, circles, square, heart, and scallop the most. I don't have a ton of punches as I find I can do a lot with those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I like different sizes of the same shape (circles, squares, ovals) because I like to layer. But I also love anything with a scallop!

(I buy mine from myself because I'm a demo...SU's are EK Success)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

most all of mine are from SU!

LOVE THEM!

i love the circles... all sizes for layering

the ovals are great for small sentiments

i LOVE the scallop circle and the border one as well

i also really like the photo corner

the corner punches are handy too... ticket, tag and rounder

there are a few that i don't have. you can't go wrong with ANY really!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I really like the SU ones too. Some are so unique. I especially like EK Success and Paper Shapers (I think they're the same) and SU uses this company. Basically, I like a punch you can use your fingers with. I don't like the ones, like McGill, that you have to use your palm to punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I love my SU punches and I have them all...I have found the new EK Success punches at Mike's they are awesome and punch right though heavy cardstock!

Then, they lock closed and there is a niffty case for the hand punches...really great punches...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

Circles in all sizes from tiny up. Some time I'll get the Nestabilities, because my punches stop at 1 3/4 ", but I have a good dozens starting with 1/16". Ovals. Tags.
Not a big fan of border punches because some of them don't work so well with any decent weight of cardstock. Leaves and a few different shapes of flowers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Default Love Punches!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsETaylorView Post
I am on the "building my arsenal" mission. What punches do you use the most? where do you buy them? what brands do you think are the best and where can you get the best deal?

Many of the ladies have answered your questions wonderfully but I thought I would add my 2 cents.

I use the corner rounder punches the most. I have lots of sizes of circles and squares for layering. I can't resist anything heart shape! So I have many sizes of hearts.

I agree that the thumb punch style is great. EK Success is a nice punch and they have been very consistent is quality. Also Marvy Uchida is a nice brand, the Giga and Mega punches are nice for layering. There is also a new x-tra large Giga, waiting to get a few of those shapes on sale!

As for where I buy them, from any place that is having a sale! The only Local craft store near me is a Michael's, so if I have a coupon I might pick up a punch. It seems that whenever I place a SU! order there is a punch included. But I have also gotten some pretty good deals at Joann's.com, picked up some of the Marvy punches for 40% off and free shipping once! Now that is a good deal!

Hope I helped, if anything I have brought your post back to the top and others will see it and add their opinions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have most sizes of circles. I'm working on oval and square shapes now. Some I get from SU! because I can't find that size or shape elsewhere otherwise I buy mine from Hobby Lobby. It's great because they often have a 40% off coupon which you can use to purchase them and they go on sale for like 1/2 off every now and then...just watch the flyer (you can sign up for email alerts!). So basically you can buy twice as many for the price, haha. I love my nesties but I really love punches too because I think they are easier and faster to use sometimes. SU! punches are cool too because they all match stamp sets so you can punch things out easily. I'm so excited about the scallop oval that is coming out in the new mini catalog! And if you search for punch art in the gallery there are so many cute critters you can make with them! Yay for punches!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love all my punches
circles (1 1/4 and 1 1/2 Paper shapers - got at Hobby lobby on sale)
scallop circle and scallop edge (SU)
lace border (martha stewart-michaels with coupon)
small and large oval (SU)
flower trio and boho blossom (SU)

I have a few more, but these are what I use the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

If you don't have a lot of punches already I would really consider purchasing a Big Shot or the Big Kick (sold at Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Joann's). The die cut machines may seem to be expensive but if you add up the cost of 12 or so punches and compare it to the cost of purchasing a die cut machine with 12 or so dies you will see that it is a much better deal.

If you have the Big Kick or Big Shot you can buy the Nestibilities which come in sets of about 5 sizes per $24.99-40% off coupon=$14.99. If you buy say 5 or 6 of the circle punches of the same sizes as the Nestibilities using the same 40% off coupons, you will easily spend more than twice the amount or more.

If you buy the Big Kick with a coupon they are really not expensive and the dies you can also get with coupons. Then you will be able to emboss also.

You will still need a good corner rounder punch, and a few basic small hole punches.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsETaylorView Post

I absolutely LOVE my SU punches! I couldn't even decide which ones I use most - I am always pulling different ones out. It seems like whenever they come out with a new one, I have to have it! (P.S. Loving the Scallop Oval that will come out in the Occasions mini in April!)

For edge punches, I LOVE Martha Stewart punches.

The only thing is, the SU punches (the big ones) are about $20 each (in Canada), and the Martha Stewart Punches are about $25 each (except when I buy one using my Michael's discount coupon). They are kind of expensive if you are planning to purchase several of them. I say it ends up being a very good investment, especially if you are preparing for workshops!

Good luck

I'm a Bella Babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my punches, I wait for Hobby Lobby or Mikes to have 50 off sales and stock up! I really love unique shapes. I am looking for a really big cupcake punch. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I have all the SU punches - LOVE THEM! I have a few MS borders and smaller ones (like the fern) but I have trouble with those sometimes if I'm punching card stock. If you have a die cutting machine (CB, Big Shot) you can get the layering effect with Nestabilities - but sometimes it so much easier to grab my two or 3! circle punches to get the same effect.

I reach for just two of my favorite corner punches too - the corner rounder and the ticket (is that the name?); although I do have a few others!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
As much as I love my SU punches and I have them all...I have found the new EK Success punches at Mike's they are awesome and punch right though heavy cardstock!

Then, they lock closed and there is a niffty case for the hand punches...really great punches...
Ditto
I just purchased my first one yesterday (scallop with diamond edge) and I'm ready to purchase a few more.
I was not sure at first, for as much as I love my MS ones, sometimes they stick and extra pressure has to be applied to get thru the paper.
But the EK success just went thru without any effort. Sweet, and the fact that they fold up and save space is a big plus.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep! That's the big plus with the new EK Success punches, the border punches go right through thick cardstock! Love them!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes