Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Prismacolors... Thanks Kerilou and Sharpening issues!

I finally got out my BIG box of Prismacolors and I want to sharpen them and use them now that I've experimented with the Magic Colored Pencil Technique! I used my set of 24 Prismacolors to test it. I posted a question a couple of days ago, asking if anyone had figured out which Prismacolors color matched which SU color and KERILOU so *graciously* and *wonderfully* took the time to find the answers for us! I *so* appreciate that!

So I'm going through my box of Prismacolors and I find out that my Yellowish Orange (maybe not the real name) pencil is broken - missing half the wood on the bottom half of the pencil. And I seem to missing Vermillion, which is the Only Orange match! I have Orange, and lots of other oranges, but no Vermillion. Do you think that the company will send me one if I call them (plus I want them to replace the broken pencil)? Has anyone called them?? My Prismacolors are over a year old and I didn't get them from Viking. But I hadn't really gotten them out yet except to look at them. :oops:

My other question - I've heard you're not supposed to sharpen them with an electric sharpener. Well, I have a handheld Prismacolor sharpener and that seems to eat up pencils - I used it to sharpen an SU watercolor pencil and the point kept breaking off and now my pencil is about half the size of the others! :oops: So I read what everyone said here about putting the pencils in the freezer for an hour, then using an eyeliner pencil sharpener that you can get in the cosmetics section of the store. So when my daughter went to the store last night, she got me one of these. So I tried it out on a Prismacolor pencil (not one of the important 48!) and I'm *still* having trouble with the sharpening! I did get a point, but it was very lopsided and it broke right away.

So I'm a little nervous about tackling my 120 Prismacolors - well, I esp want to do a good job on the 48! <g> Actually, it's 47 because KeriLou came up with the same pencil color for two of the SU colors - so I need to check out the Prismacolor Lavender pencil.

Anyway, sorry this is so long - do you think freezing them will help enough so the sharpener doesn't eat my pencil and so I have a decent point that doesn't break off? The other option is to experiment with all the greys that came in my set - freeze them, do a couple with the electric sharpener and a couple with the handheld eyeliner pencil one.

Ideas, anyone?!

Susan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:39 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Prismacolors... Thanks Kerilou and Sharpening issues!

which Prismacolors color matched which SU color and KERILOU so *graciously* and *wonderfully* took the time to find the answers for us! I *so* appreciate that!

Can you tell me how to get to the post that has those answers? Or could you share that information with us if it isn't posted any where? Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:45 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's KeriLou's post:

Okay, here goes..the color samples I used were from the color chart in the front of the lastest catalog: Please feel free to amend this, as this is just my opinion!! (And it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be!) I scribbled with the pencils on a piece of white CS, and matched it to color samples..I did not go by the color of the outside of the pencil...Kerilou

Bold Brights
Only Orange= Vermillion
Yoyo Yellow=Canary Yellow
Tempting Turquoise=Light Aqua
Real Red=Scarlett Lake
Positively Pink=Hot Pink
Pink Passion=Process Red
Orchid Opulence=Parma Violet
Lovely Lilac=Imperial Violet
Green Galore=Apple Green
Glorious Green=Grass Green
Gable Green=Spring Green
Brilliant Blue=Copenhagen Blue

Earth Elements
Basic Black=Black
Cameo Coral=Pink
Chocolate Chip=Sepia
Close to Cocoa=Light Umber
Creamy Caramel=Beige
Garden Green=Dark Green
Going Gray=Warm Gray 20%
More Mustard=Goldenrod
Old Olive=Lime Peel
Really Rust=Burnt Ochre
Ruby Red=Raspberry
Summer Sun=Sunburst Yellow

Rich Regals
Ballet Blue=Blue Violet Lake
Baroque Burgundy=Tuscan Red
Bordering Blue=Periwinkle
Brocade Blue=Mediterranean Blue
Eggplant Envy=Black Cherry
Forest Foliage=Peacock Green
Marvelous Magenta=Dahlia Purple
Night of Navy=Indigo Blue
Not Quite Navy=Slate Gray
Rose Red=Crimson Red
Rose Romance=Blush Pink
Taken with Teal=Parrot Green

Soft Subtles
Almost Amethyst= Cloud Blue
Barely Banana=Deco Yellow
Bliss Blue=Blue Slate
Blush Blossom=Deco Peach
Lavender Lace=Parma Violet
Mauve Mist=Deco Pink
Mellow Moss=Marine Green
Mint Melody=Light Green
Pale Plum=Grayed Lavender
Perfect Plum=Black Grape
Pretty in Pink= Pink Rose
Sage Shadow= Jade Green

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

And this is what Karen came up with for those that have the set of 48 Prismacolors:

Bold Brights
Only Orange= Vermillion (Orange is a little darker)
Yoyo Yellow=Canary Yellow (Deco yellow is a little lighter)
Tempting Turquoise=Light Aqua (Peacock Blue)
Real Red=Scarlett Lake (Crimson Red)
Positively Pink=Hot Pink (Pink)
Pink Passion=Process Red
Orchid Opulence=Parma Violet (Lilac is close)
Lovely Lilac=Imperial Violet (Violet is a little darker)
Green Galore=Apple Green
Glorious Green=Grass Green
Gable Green=Spring Green
Brilliant Blue=Copenhagen Blue (Ultra marine - close)

Earth Elements
Basic Black=Black
Cameo Coral=Pink (Carmine Red)
Chocolate Chip=Sepia (Dk Umber)
Close to Cocoa=Light Umber (DK Brown)
Creamy Caramel=Beige
Garden Green=Dark Green (Dk Olive Green)
Going Gray=Warm Gray 20%

More Mustard=Goldenrod (yellow Ochre ltr.)
Old Olive=Lime Peel
Really Rust=Burnt Ochre
Ruby Red=Raspberry
Summer Sun=Sunburst Yellow (Spanish Orange)

Rich Regals
Ballet Blue=Blue Violet Lake
Baroque Burgundy=Tuscan Red
Bordering Blue=Periwinkle
Brocade Blue=Mediterranean Blue (Lt. Cerrulean blue)
Eggplant Envy=Black Cherry
Forest Foliage=Peacock Green
Marvelous Magenta=Dahlia Purple (Mulberry)
Night of Navy=Indigo Blue
Not Quite Navy=Slate Gray
Rose Red=Crimson Red (Magenta)
Rose Romance=Blush Pink
Taken with Teal=Parrot Green (Aquamarine - Lt. Aqua is a little lighter)

Soft Subtles
Almost Amethyst= Cloud Blue
Barely Banana=Deco Yellow (Cream)
Bliss Blue=Blue Slate (True blue - lighter)
Blush Blossom=Deco Peach (Lt. peach - Peach a little darker)
Lavender Lace=Parma Violet
Mauve Mist=Deco Pink
Mellow Moss=Marine Green
Mint Melody=Light Green (True green - darker)
Pale Plum=Grayed Lavender
Perfect Plum=Black Grape
Pretty in Pink= Pink Rose (Blush pink)
Sage Shadow= Jade Green

Thought those of you who may have also gotten the 48 set might find this helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Su Prisma colors

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Call Sanford's customer service and tell them about your pencils. They will replace them. I had 4 of my pencils continually break when I tried to sharpen them. I'm sending them back and they are going to send me new ones. Go to www.sanford.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 07:21 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was just looking at the colors on the Dick Blick website and I didn't see a color called "Vermilion" at all! I found "Pale Vermilion", though - and that looks JUST like Only Orange!! Maybe the mystery is solved!!

Stampcrazygirl, thanks for telling me about Sanford's great customer service. I'll email them tomorrow!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4Him
My other question - I've heard you're not supposed to sharpen them with an electric sharpener. Well, I have a handheld Prismacolor sharpener and that seems to eat up pencils - I used it to sharpen an SU watercolor pencil and the point kept breaking off and now my pencil is about half the size of the others! :oops: So I read what everyone said here about putting the pencils in the freezer for an hour, then using an eyeliner pencil sharpener that you can get in the cosmetics section of the store. So when my daughter went to the store last night, she got me one of these. So I tried it out on a Prismacolor pencil (not one of the important 48!) and I'm *still* having trouble with the sharpening! I did get a point, but it was very lopsided and it broke right away.

So I'm a little nervous about tackling my 120 Prismacolors - well, I esp want to do a good job on the 48! <g> Actually, it's 47 because KeriLou came up with the same pencil color for two of the SU colors - so I need to check out the Prismacolor Lavender pencil.

Anyway, sorry this is so long - do you think freezing them will help enough so the sharpener doesn't eat my pencil and so I have a decent point that doesn't break off? The other option is to experiment with all the greys that came in my set - freeze them, do a couple with the electric sharpener and a couple with the handheld eyeliner pencil one.

Ideas, anyone?!

Susan
I would think that freezing would make the leads even MORE brittle, not less. Artist quality pencils like Prismacolors have very soft leads, which is why they can break so easily. I don't agree with never using electric sharpeners, though. I have a battery-powered portable one made by Panasonic that I bought at Staples, and I love it! I get much better points on my pencils than I did with even high-quality manual sharpeners, and it makes rendering go a whole lot faster!

I prefer to purchase my Prismacolor pencils separately, a few at a time as needed. I do this for two reasons. First, I can't afford to buy a huge set at once, and second, it lets me inspect each pencil and make sure that the leads are all centered and straight from tip to tip. Sometimes leads are crooked inside the wood, and are skewed toward the outside of the wood. This results in poor sharpening where a large part of the side of the lead is exposed, and it is prone to breaking off.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 06:32 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4Him

Susan
You are welcome, everyone...when I did it, I had a HUGE headache, and looking back now, I don't know HOW I did it....I didn't realize i had duplicated a color twice..oops....I don't know if I meant to do that or it was an oversight...I am sure someone will figure it out...LOl..Kerilou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 06:44 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I have been using Prismacolor pencils for years now. I have always used a electric sharpener (never heard that you were not suppose to). Anyways, I've never had a problem with them. Since the lead is very soft I suppose using the electric sharpener may cause some of the lead to jam in the unit. However, it hasn't happened to me yet. (By the way I use them for illustrations not just cards so I use them often.)

Asela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 07:04 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Default sharpening the prismas

I got my BIG box of prismas a couple weeks ago, and have sharpened almost all of them. I bought a set of sharpeners (3 came together) for 2.99 at michaels that are meant for soft lead and also charcoals. After trying one pencil with a regular hand one, and then this one- it was a piece of cake to do them with the good one. I highly recommend it.
I did not freeze them ahead of time. I thought of doing it, but didnt know how long was the right time, and was only doing a row at a time... anyway, I did not have any problems except once, one pencil's wood had a little "bump" in it, so it kinda got stuck, but I just went over it slowly, and it sharpened fine. HTH
I too posted a request for matching colors a while back, so THANK YOU! Kerilou for the generous use of your time. I really appreciate it.
I have added the pencil numbers to your chart so if anyone wants a copy, just let me know! this helps me find my pencils much quicker. also,
somewhere, someone posted a cool chart that has empty boxes with the names and numbers in them in which you can scribble the color . i have both sheets inside my box of pencils ready to tackle any coloring project that comes along.!!
sorry so long
~misti~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 07:09 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I bought my first set of 120 Prismacolor pencils more than 20 years ago when a local art store was going out of business. I still have most of them and sharpen them with an electric sharpener, no trouble. I try not to jam the pencil in so the sharpener does not eat more than it should.

I just recently purchased another set of 120. Unless the quality has deteriorated, I plan to use the electric sharpener again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 07:38 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Prisma 120 for $56.98 at Viking!

I just ordered a set of Prismacolor pencils, pack of 120 for $56.98 at Viking. Code #QL2-3602. With the $20.00 off coupon I got a great deal.
I'll need to get that sharpener going.
Veee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 07:50 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

ok, so I've been reading so much about the prismacolor pencils lately so i have a few questions.

first: is the deal everyone's geeting at viking $56.98 plus another $20 off of that so they're $36.98 or is the $56.98 the price with the $20 off? and how do you get the $20 off??

second: why are prismacolor pencils so wonderful?? I really don't know much about color pencils. are there techniques you can do with them that you can't do with other kinds of pencils, or are they just a better overall quality? what do you all use them for? what am I missing here? do I need these?

thanks
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 08:43 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Here's the color chart I made. I posted it before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 08:47 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Here's a picture of the chart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 09:05 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

ohhhhhhhhh I finally got it to work!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 09:31 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Be very careful not to drop your pencils.
If they're dropped on the floor, very often the "lead" can break inside the pencil; that's usually why the tip keeps breaking off in the sharpener. (other than what row4d said about the leads being crooked in the wood)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2005, 07:19 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Is there any way that this can be downloaded as a file - I just printed it out and it's SO small!! Thanks for getting this, but it would be great if it was big enough!

Thanks for your work on this,
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes