Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Prismacolor Vs. Copic Vs. Clean Color

Hi everyone!!

I'm just getting started with stamping, but would like to invest in some good markers to use to color. I know everyone loves the copics, but as we all know they can be rather pricey. I was wondering if anyone prefers a different type of marker?

I have used prismacolor before, but not for coloring or stamping. I heard the Zig Clean Color are great too, but haven't used them.

Just trying to get an idea, so I can decide what to purchase.

Thanks for the help!!:cool:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Myself, I started out with a set of 36 Bic Mark Its, and filled in with some lighter colors in Copics that I bought one at a time with coupons at Hobby Lobby and Michaels. The Bics are good markers, but the colors can be pretty intense and bright, so I got some pale colors in Copics to use with them.

https://www.amazon.com/BIC-Marking-P...manent+markers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I followed Bugga's advice and have the Bic's, both regular and fine tipped. I am slowly filling in with some lighter Copics. I have a few Prismacolors and Spectrum Noirs. I actually prefer the Bics over either of them.

Here's a trick to get lighter tones from the Bics. Scribble your markers on a ceramic tile, acrylic block or plastic palette, then use an alcohol filled water brush to pick up the color and paint your image. It works quite well.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
leibetty (04-14-2023)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I have the copics and the zigs. The Zigs are really a watercolor medium, so if you like that look...go for the Zigs. For me, they are much easier and faster to color with, but you definitely need to use either watercolor paper or bristol paper. If you're trying to cost save, in the long run I don't know how effective that would be.

I LOVE my copics. They are definitely an investment, but I do believe that if you really want a coloring medium, go with the best and copic is the best. I have about 100 or so now, but took a long time to build that up due to the price. Just pick up a few here and there. For me, I had to get out of the "have to have the whole set" mindset just to start buying them! lol

I use both my copics and my Zigs pretty equally...depends on my mood.

ETA: I think you meant the Zig Markers. I was talking about the Zig Clean Color *Real Brush* Watercolor Markers.

Last edited by Qtpy; 09-29-2016 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
I followed Bugga's advice and have the Bic's, both regular and fine tipped. I am slowly filling in with some lighter Copics. I have a few Prismacolors and Spectrum Noirs. I actually prefer the Bics over either of them.

Here's a trick to get lighter tones from the Bics. Scribble your markers on a ceramic tile, acrylic block or plastic palette, then use an alcohol filled water brush to pick up the color and paint your image. It works quite well.
What a good idea! It would never occur to me to put alcohol in a water brush! I can't wait to try this. Thank you.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by QtpyView Post
I have the copics and the zigs. The Zigs are really a watercolor medium, so if you like that look...go for the Zigs. For me, they are much easier and faster to color with, but you definitely need to use either watercolor paper or bristol paper. If you're trying to cost save, in the long run I don't know how effective that would be.

I LOVE my copics. They are definitely an investment, but I do believe that if you really want a coloring medium, go with the best and copic is the best. I have about 100 or so now, but took a long time to build that up due to the price. Just pick up a few here and there. For me, I had to get out of the "have to have the whole set" mindset just to start buying them! lol

I use both my copics and my Zigs pretty equally...depends on my mood.

ETA: I think you meant the Zig Markers. I was talking about the Zig Clean Color *Real Brush* Watercolor Markers.
I was talking about the Zig Clean Color Real Brush! So you are good! I didn't know of any others! Thank you for your advice. I love the copics, but I'm kinda in the mindset that I want so many colors! lol

Do they blend easily? Can I get away with getting the standard colors, and blending them? :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

You have two different kinds of markers there.

As said, the Zig clean colors are water based and the Copics are alcohol based. So you might want to start with deciding which format you want. I am not saying you wont eventually have both because they do different things, but just to start....

Alternatives for alcohol could be spectrum noirs. I get them at Consumer Crafts when they have $5 sales on 6 packs. There are like 12-13 of those and then they have big packs (different colors from the small packs-I wish all the colors came in small packs for slow building) that they usually have a discounted price on. If you go this way, I would suggest you get 1-2 packs of colors you use a lot and play with them before diving in. While much cheaper than Copics (but still re-fillable) a total set still runs into a couple hundred dollars. Normally a 6 pack seems to go for 10-12-or about 2 bucks a pen.

An alternative for water based could be Tombows. They have been around a long time and you can get them both in packs or individually. Blicks runs sales on those or you could use a coupon.

I am hearing a lot of good talk though about the zigs and while I have some tombows, I am seriously thinking about going for zigs when the black friday sales come end Nov.

Both water and alcohol will require special paper for best results.

Are you a good blender or want to learn? If not, then you could go with any marker-I have a big set of sharpies for plain coloring in both regular and fine tip.

If you have the "complete set" gene-as in you HAVE to get all the colors. you may want to think about it. Copic really has a LOT of them and many teachers do say you do NOT need to have them all...but we have to be real about what we will do in a situation. lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
lynnewithane (04-23-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 10:31 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I use Prismacolor markers with a few Copics. I prefer the Prismacolor because you can get it with a brush and a nub tip (instead of a chisel). It just works better for me. I love the wide variety of colors with Copics, but hate the price and chisel tip.

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2023, 03:39 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunnyView Post
I use Prismacolor markers with a few Copics. I prefer the Prismacolor because you can get it with a brush and a nub tip (instead of a chisel). It just works better for me. I love the wide variety of colors with Copics, but hate the price and chisel tip.
You can switch out the tips on most Copics. They sell packs of tips in most places where Copics are sold. Carpediem.com has the best prices I've found, and scrapbookpal.com has good prices as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2023, 05:25 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
You can switch out the tips on most Copics. They sell packs of tips in most places where Copics are sold. Carpediem.com has the best prices I've found, and scrapbookpal.com has good prices as well.
Oh no. This is terrible news. Now I have even more colors to buy. What have you done?

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2023, 11:06 AM   #11  
mof
Glitter Queen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

How about the Stampin'Up alcohol markers? I like the idea that you can get them in light and dark shades of the same color. I don't do lots of coloring but wonder how they stack up against other alcohol markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2023, 11:33 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mofView Post
How about the Stampin'Up alcohol markers? I like the idea that you can get them in light and dark shades of the same color. I don't do lots of coloring but wonder how they stack up against other alcohol markers.
I have a few sets. They blend easily together, and with other alcohol markers. I mix all of my alcohol markers together while coloring. I have Spectrum Noir, Copic, and a few Blends. I do have Bic but mostly use those for drawing fine lines. I have been purchasing Blends that are in colors that I do not have in other brands.

My daughters both use Prismacolor and Ohuhu. One took art classes they used Prismacolor products so she thinks in those colors and prefers that brand. The other got Ohuhu for a gift and she loves how they feel and color. I think it comes down to what colors are you familiar with and how the markers work for you.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
ComradeBunny (04-26-2023)