Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Question Printing digital images

I purchased some digital images on Etsy and now I want to see them printed so I can use them as my own "DSP." What is the best way to do this -- at Staples or a similar place, on what kind of paper, at home (which I'd think would consume a lot of ink), how to adjust the colors if necessary, does an angel policy get involved in this, etc.?
I have so many questions and hope you all have the answers!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
paulaflies (01-12-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts

Here is one video. I don't know if it helps or not. A lot of it depends on what software you are using and your type of printer, etc.. I know with my printer (Canon), I use the "Fast" printing option to keep it from smearing when I use my alcohol markers. If I am printing colored digis, I choose the "Best" option. I use Libre Office to make a page with my digis. I choose the option to make a document and insert images/pics onto the document,and then print when I am finished. I'm sure some people use Microsoft Word, or other software. Youtube has lots of awesome videos. Wasn't sure how to answer, but hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by hoptownracer1:
Alice in Md (01-11-2022), DancesWithHooves (04-05-2023), lylacfey (01-18-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 07:38 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Most digital stamps will come with the artist's Terms of Use - if there's anything that's not covered in that document, you can always ask! I would think color adjustments would generally be acceptable. What photo editor do you use? You can do resizing, some tiling and color adjustments in Word if that is what you have to work with too. I typically print from Word. I have 3 different printers to work with but you're right about the ink usage.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Alice in Md (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Thank you both for your guidance so far! The designs I purchased are mostly-pink all-over floral designs in a PDF that contains 16 JPEG files of 12"x12" images that appear to be "background" papers primarily for scrapbooking. I can crop them using whatever Microsoft included in Windows 10 and plan to use them mainly on cards. ... If I want to print them somewhere like Staples or another local printer, what weight paper should I request to mimic Stampin' Up DSP and similar scrapbooking papers -- or do you suggest something else, and are there any specific instructons I would need?
Reply With Quote Likes
paulaflies (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I love working with digital images so that I have the flexibility to size them as needed. I open a Microsoft Powerpoint slide and open the jpg or png image in it then go from there. I don't purchase colored-in images so I don't usually get a pdf. I have printed off a colored background paper image (I open it into Powerpoint, and size it) - I will usually change the setting to saturate the color even more since when I print it (just a regular Canon printer, on cardstock) it comes out duller than the image
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2022, 04:13 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

You can also print out your images at your library. If you go to your local library web site you can even upload the images from your home computer and they will be ready for you to print when you go to the library. This is mainly found at larger library systems. Some libraries let you use your own paper, cardstock, etc. Most libraries are laser printer's so plan that accordingly.

I love digi's and I am always printing. I have three printer's.

When I print out DSP I use a variety of papers from 65lb cardstock, printer paper, vellum, acetate, etc.... It depends on what I am going to use the DSP for.

The Angel Policy should be in the file you bought. In a PDF it usually is in the PDF itself. If it is a separate images then it's usually a text document or a separate JPEG explaining how you can use those files.

Reply With Quote Likes
Alice in Md (01-18-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Heart thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Here is one video. I don't know if it helps or not. A lot of it depends on what software you are using and your type of printer, etc.. I know with my printer (Canon), I use the "Fast" printing option to keep it from smearing when I use my alcohol markers. If I am printing colored digis, I choose the "Best" option. I use Libre Office to make a page with my digis. I choose the option to make a document and insert images/pics onto the document,and then print when I am finished. I'm sure some people use Microsoft Word, or other software. Youtube has lots of awesome videos. Wasn't sure how to answer, but hope that helps.
Two comments have me totally grateful... one- I've not yet tried libre office, just downloaded it and thank you! AND I didn't realize I could use my Canon inkjet of draft print to limit the smearing with my Copics pens... THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by DocForHelp:
hoptownracer1 (07-24-2022), Scrapjanny (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 06:20 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Here's another video that I found extremely helpful. She shows how to use the correct settings for printing if you want to use watercolors and alcohol inks. There's also a link to download a free printing guide. (It's for Canon Pixma printers, but the basics are probably similar for other printers.)

ETA: The guide also includes information for Silhouette Studio and finding digital images online.

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 07-24-2022 at 06:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
hoptownracer1 (07-24-2022), TexasGrammy (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 09:29 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts

Thank you ScrapJanny! I will have to check this out!!! I didn't even think about being able to watercolor with printed images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Scrapjanny (07-25-2022)