Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #41  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
How many of you have stopped buying a specific brand of stamps or dies simply because the company raised their prices too high ?

A company , I bought stamps from for about 5 years, had been regularly raising their prices. Over a year ago I said enough and stopped buying from them .

I still like their stamps but I feel $25 to $35 for one sheet of stamps is too much. It is a rare sheet of stamps where I will use most of them.
Plus now most of their stamps are in clear Polymer which cost less than rubber .
I used to think the same thing. But actually, Clear Polymer stamps are more expensive than rubber. We are in the process of changing some of our sets over to clear because of the manufacturing time it takes for rubber. But we have hesitated because of the cost of clear stamps vs. rubber.

Manufacturing dies, rubber stamps and clear photopolymer stamps are expensive. Add to that your rent, utilites, payroll, health, dental, and retirements benefits for employees, workman's comp, packaging expenses, free incentive items and more, many small companies are operating on fairly thin profit margins. We don't have the buying power of large companies to receive those bulk discounts.

Plus, in our case, we buy our clear stamps, ink pads, buttons, rubber, cushion and dies from companies in the USA. This adds quite a bit compared to companies that buy from China.

But the most important thing to remember is what is the value of a product to you. If you love something and will use it all the time, it's worth the investment.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysuziestamperView Post
I had the SU Gift Card Envelope & Trims Thinlits Die on my next order list. The other day I got to thinking, why do I want to pay $32.95 for this die set when I could make it with my envelope punch board..Hmmm... The finished size of the envie is listed in the mini, put the measurements into an envie calculator, made one and came out looking like the one in the mini. $32.95 was not worth the couple little dies that came with it. Have a punch and other small dies that will accomplish the same thing. I suspect this die set will be on the clearance rack some time down the road just like the Expressions Thinlits. Needless to say I took it off my order. I did notice with this current mini that SU dies seemed to be very pricey compared to the past.
I did the exact same thing with that gift card die. I got the punch board instead and can make the same envelope plus tons more for way less money!!!

Last edited by CraftyMel2; 09-24-2014 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #43  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
I did the exact same thing with that gift card die. I got the punch board instead and can make the same envelope plus tons more for way less money!!!
You know, I do the same thing now. I don't buy bag, box, or envelope dies anymore because I can make almost exactly the same things with my punch boards and electronic cutters. "Almost exactly" is good enough for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
I used to think the same thing. But actually, Clear Polymer stamps are more expensive than rubber. We are in the process of changing some of our sets over to clear because of the manufacturing time it takes for rubber. But we have hesitated because of the cost of clear stamps vs. rubber.

Manufacturing dies, rubber stamps and clear photopolymer stamps are expensive. Add to that your rent, utilites, payroll, health, dental, and retirements benefits for employees, workman's comp, packaging expenses, free incentive items and more, many small companies are operating on fairly thin profit margins. We don't have the buying power of large companies to receive those bulk discounts.

Plus, in our case, we buy our clear stamps, ink pads, buttons, rubber, cushion and dies from companies in the USA. This adds quite a bit compared to companies that buy from China.

But the most important thing to remember is what is the value of a product to you. If you love something and will use it all the time, it's worth the investment.
Gina,

Even with all you stated, you sell your stamps and other products at a good price.

I like SU! sets and the matching paper, ink, & ribbons, but I think they are high priced. (And then add shipping on top of the order.)

My craft dollars only go so far, so I tend to buy from companies who offer a better value such as free shipping or other incentives. I usually have no problems spending enough to get free shipping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #45  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
You know, I do the same thing now. I don't buy bag, box, or envelope dies anymore because I can make almost exactly the same things with my punch boards and electronic cutters. "Almost exactly" is good enough for me.
I personally think that Almost exactly is way better because we can customize much easier. I love the boards and there are so many tutorials for just the envelope board making bags, boxes, and other things that you really don't need the other boards.

You got to love creating your own supplies!! I know I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #46  
Insane Embellisher

Do what I did to save money. I became a stampin up demo a few years ago. As a demo friend frequently says, "we no longer spend our families money on our craft hobby!" It takes time and effort but I earn all of my stamping goodies. There would be a ton of demos who would welcome helping you to get started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2014, 03:44 AM   #47  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by postmarkView Post
Do what I did to save money. I became a stampin up demo a few years ago. As a demo friend frequently says, "we no longer spend our families money on our craft hobby!" It takes time and effort but I earn all of my stamping goodies. There would be a ton of demos who would welcome helping you to get started.
Seriously? I spent SO much more money on crafting when I was a demo, and did not even come close to making that back in sales. The constant need to buy one more thing in case a customer needed to see it, the "I'll just add a few things on this order to bump up the total" scenario, the never dwindling supply list for make and takes....it was an endless cycle of spending. And for what? The twenty percent discount? My husband did a happy dance the day I gave up my demonstrator status.

Now I only purchase what I want when I need it. I get 25% off twice a month at my local stamp shop. I purchase online with FREE shipping. I rely on sales at my favorite online retailers. I buy used and barely used items from the forums.

Perhaps there are a few demos out there who are way more disciplined about their spending and income, but sadly, I was not one of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2014, 04:17 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Seriously? I spent SO much more money on crafting when I was a demo, and did not even come close to making that back in sales. The constant need to buy one more thing in case a customer needed to see it, the "I'll just add a few things on this order to bump up the total" scenario, the never dwindling supply list for make and takes....it was an endless cycle of spending. And for what? The twenty percent discount? My husband did a happy dance the day I gave up my demonstrator status.

Now I only purchase what I want when I need it. I get 25% off twice a month at my local stamp shop. I purchase online with FREE shipping. I rely on sales at my favorite online retailers. I buy used and barely used items from the forums.

Perhaps there are a few demos out there who are way more disciplined about their spending and income, but sadly, I was not one of them.
I think that what you wrote is true of nearly every demo that is just starting out, or who remains a "hobby" demo. My former demo is now her only customer (I switched because I was never informed of promotions or anything else, and every time I called to ask her when her next order was going to be, the answer was "I just put one in yesterday", or something similar...), and so she meets those quotas entirely on her own.

I was a demo for a brief period a couple of times, but I knew it was not sustainable - I have a very small circle of acquaintances and NO motivation to "shop" for customers. I mainly joined because the current "new demo promotion" was too good to pass up

Having read back through this thread, the thought that occurs to me is that being a well-informed consumer is the best way to approach this issue. Doing a bit of research (as has been suggested by several) and knowing the companies that you're dealing with (like Gina K and Chic and Savvy Crafters) are helpful in making smart buying choices. Thinking "outside the box" with things that you already have and/or alternatives that are available help stretch the budget as well.

HOWEVER - I still agree that the smartest choice we can make is to say to that little voice in your head, "NO, I do NOT need that particular stamp/die/embossing folder/ink pad/embellishment/whatever", unless and until you've thought it through really well and still can't live without it. THEN - it really doesn't matter what the cost is, does it?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post

I suspect this is what I would do if I was a demo. I don't think I'd save any money as a demo.

One way that I spend less in the long run is that I buy stuff in bulk, specifically envelopes and tape. 1000 envelopes at a time, and I email framingsupplies.com and say that if they will ship in a small flat-rate priority box for $6 (or whatever) through the USPS instead of using ground UPS, I'd buy all the rolls of tape they could fit in that box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #50  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Come on! where would be the fun in sending a $1 card when we can send a $1000 card :p
LMAO!

The thing is...if we only bought what we really use....would the prices drop-or the selection? Would we be left with only some "practical" designs that many use?

Many companies make their way by having "different" type images. Would they take that chance if we all only bought polka dot bkgrnds or EFs?

It is expensive to run a company in the states, esp if you source supplies from the states as well. I am happy to buy US both b/c I want to support our economy and also b/c I am not afraid there will be a call back b/c the thing has radioactive stuff in it or something. (remember the cloisenne from china debacle?) It might be naive to assume American companies wont do that stuff but you have to have some faith somewhere...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's funny how things work out. Since I first saw this post, I have done some searching on the web to see what else is out there. I have followed Google Images over to various blogs and websites and have found that there is far more out there than I thought!! Another Google search sent me over toSimon Says Stamp. While I have ordered from them a few times before, I never really spent a lot of time on their site. I am glad I finally did!! I just put in a small order and from looking around, I am pretty sure one stamp company has lost me forever. Prices have gone too high in comparison to what is out there. Living in a small town, I am limited to on-line shopping as it is so it is not a problem for me to switch. So...thank you to Simon Says Stamp for carrying such a variety of stamp companies products!! and thanks to all who posted in this thread. I do love this community!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used to buy tons of stamps, but rarely buy them anymore due to the high prices. And I only buy dies when they are on sale. I use my Silhouette Cameo and design most of the die cuts I need these days. Also switched to buying digi images as they are more affordable than rubber or acrylic stamps and there's no shipping costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I was seriously considering buying the Festival of Trees bundle, but did not like the price point plus shipping. Well lo and behold if while shopping at Mikes I spotted the almost identical stamp bundle by another company. It has 3 trees a die and two sentiments for 1/3 the price of SU. So guess which one I purchased...too bad I had to use my coupon for something else that day.
On another note, Dies Direct in Phoenix which I had the chance to tour this past winter, makes most of the steel made dies for stamp companies in the u.s. After seeing how labor intensive it is to make one, and how much manual labor by individuals it takes from start to finish I have a better appreciation. Having said that,I think some of the stamp companies just put a higher price because they can get away with it and people are willing to let them.I agree about the shipping which is just out of line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
I used to buy tons of stamps, but rarely buy them anymore due to the high prices. And I only buy dies when they are on sale. I use my Silhouette Cameo and design most of the die cuts I need these days. Also switched to buying digi images as they are more affordable than rubber or acrylic stamps and there's no shipping costs.
Plus you can resize them! I like to color with Copics . I have an HP Office Jet printer that was OK to use with Copics, but last year on a Black Friday sale I bought a Brother HL-2240 Laser printer for $50 and free shipping . It has a front to back slot so it easily takes heavy card stock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #55  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I like using Amazon Prime when I can. I know, I know, it costs to be a member, but that money was spent in the past so my brain says "free shipping!"
Amazon Prime is great until you find your order was not fulfilled by Amazon but was fulfilled by one of their "partners". THEN your order can take MANY days to arrive, because the partners have no time-obligation like Amazon Prime does.

I ordered a simple cheap Timer. Somehow Sears got the order, and they didn't stock the Timer so they sent it on to another vendor who also didn't stock the item so sent it on to a vendor who sent it but with the advice that it contained cancerous materials that were illegal in California without the notice being stamped on the item, which it wasn't. My LAST Amazon order, but not the only one totally messed up because of their "partners".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

Only the items marked Amazon Prime are guaranteed 2-day delivery. The other vendors usually give you an estimated arrival date.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #57  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I also like Amazon Prime but I rarely order from them if it's one of their partners. I'll do some more research to see if I can find it elsewhere, better pricing, faster shipping, etc. Prime is like all things - you really have to be cognizant of what you are buying and where it comes from. Sometimes I pay a little more just to make sure I'm not going to have some problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
I was thinking about my stamp buying habits this weekend. When I got back into stamping I was buying a certain $ amount a week. I got a lot for my money. It was great quality stamps. I still have all those stamps. I hardly buy stamps any more because the prices are so high and the quality seems to be worse. I realized I probably still be buying the certain $ amount each week. I would have less stamps, of course. It's the quality issue for me. It seems like the stamp companies that have beautiful high quality stamps are diminishing.

Steel rule dies- I was organizing my molds this week. I am getting ready for Christmas crafting. I was making room for my new molds I bought. I was moving my dies. I was looking through my dies and packed a bunch away. I don't use them any more. I use my Cameo too and my Cricut. I don't want to sink that kind of money into dies. One die set I can buy a collector doll. I can admit reading about die troubles over here has scared me off of buying certain dies.

When I bought my home a year and half ago I didn't have a computer in my art studio. I was dragging my laptop back and fourth to my room. That got old fast. I thought about buying more steel rule dies. I knew that would be too limiting for me and too much space used in my room. I bought another computer and put it in my room.

Reply With Quote Likes