Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posting Etiquette-I'm going Vent!

I've been around here for about a year or so...not an SU demo just a diehard stamper.

I have posted many of my own cards over this time and when I have copied something from someone, I have given them credit.

That being said, I recently found a card that I did for a Background Swap in October posted as if it belonged to someone else on this board as their very own. No mention in the posting about it being something received in a Swap from someone else....and then say Copyright on it! Now maybe I'm just dumb but I posted my card in October 2005 just as I sent it away to the Swap. This is a post dated in February 2006 but it's my card.

Now trying to give this person the benefit of the doubt, I am going to assume she was trying to show cards she had received from swaps she had been in but it doesn't say that. I guess I'm being sensitive but it would never occur to me to do that so I am always stunned when you see something like this happen.

Thanks for letting me Vent, but I would be curious to know what you all think on this topic.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think I would post a comment on the card: "Thanks for posting the card I made for you in a swap. I'm glad to see you are enjoying it. If anyone needs information on the papers, inks used, etc, please feel free to pm me."

Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

You have every right to be very upset. It's called plagiarism, and it's a form of stealing. If you do it at university, they kick you out. If it's not intentional, then maybe someone made a mistake, or is ignorant. But they still need to correct their posting.

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinagriff
I think I would post a comment on the card: "Thanks for posting the card I made for you in a swap. I'm glad to see you are enjoying it. If anyone needs information on the papers, inks used, etc, please feel free to pm me."

Dina
love this idea! a nice way to get your point across, but still give the poster the benefit of the doubt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinagriff

Dina

you are a good woman, Dina, I wouldn't be so kind
Old 02-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have every right to be upset. I would hope that she just "forgot" to mention it wasn't her card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I did post something

on her card that it was in fact my card but haven't heard anything back from her.

It's my card because I had trouble with my embossing powder and there are the same little speckles that were on several of the cards I submitted.

The bad part is that it was a large swap so I don't know who got my cards but I know this gal did because it is my card.

Thanks for all your kind words...it makes me feel a little like I am not wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

If I may suggest, send her an email and ask why she posted your card without giving you credit. She should change the description to mention you as the creator or remove it from her gallery.

ETA: You must have emailed her, for your last reply says you haven't heard back from her. You are clearly not in the wrong here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

please give them the benefit of the doubt - if new to stamping she/he may not understand what proper etiquette is. Maybe they don't know - I hate to see someone get their feelings hurt because they are attacked about something they simply have no knowledge of. Instead of posting a vent thread, why didn't you just PM them in private to resolve it? Also, I see that you posted something to her about it being your card and again, maybe this person doesn't get on the site as often as you do... etc. etc. etc. Most people are really nice people and I would tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

As a demo, my uplines taught their downline to CASE (copy and steal (share) everything) cards. I think that is fine as long as credit it given to the original designer, and that was obviously not done in this case. I would send a PM to the poster. That way if it was done accidentally she can correct the post and give you the credit. If she gives you attitude, by all means, give her some attitude back in a gallery comment. Good luck!!!

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Default Card posted in Swap Album

I really think this was just an oversight. If you go to her gallery, she has the card posted in a swap album, stating that she received them from SU only SCS swaps, and has given credit when possible. I think she may not have known who the card came from. She probably figured since she put it in a "swap" album, she was covered. While I understand your being upset at seeing your card with no credit, I really don't think she meant to "steal" your card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I saw a card in the gallery that I received last summer in a swap. I went to check the back of my card and it was uploaded by a different person. No where in the description did it mention it was CASEd or was created by another person. I never thought to check to see if it was in a swap album. I still think it's wrong, though, not to mention it was a swap. When people post RAK cards, it specifically says RAK and the giver's name right in the title.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

But to put "Images copyright Stampin Up 1990-2006" is that right if it's not your creation? KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

I posted a gift from my SS but since I don't know who she is I can't give her credit. I did put that it was a gift from my SS but should I remove it then?

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelinscrapper
But to put "Images copyright Stampin Up 1990-2006" is that right if it's not your creation? KWIM?
Well the images are still copyrighted by SU regardless of who stamped them. It's if they added "created by ________" under the copyright that would be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

But the images are copyright of Stampin' Up- they use SU! stamps. I think it would be different if she put images copyright of HER name.

If they are in a swap gallery, I don't think she is trying to take credit for the card, or the copyright- she is just giving credit to the company because their stamps were used.

If it isn't represented as a card she made, I don't see the problem. If she is trying to pass it off as a card she made- HUGE problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

OK, I was intrigued so I went looking around in your gallery, and bang! I saw it in your gallery and thought "I just saw that card yesterday!" I would have to agree on the point that she put the SU! copyright on it, but that doesn't necessarily imply that she's claiming she made it herself. On the other hand, to look at the page with the card she posted, I don't see where it says it's a swap album. She could have at the very least mentioned it was from a swap. I CASE ideas sometimes and frequently can't remember who the idea came from, but I at least mention that it wasn't my own original idea. If someone ever does feel that I CASE'd them without giving credit, I'd like to know about it, but I certainly would not like to be "attacked" about it. Just approach her in a friendly, positive manner. If she gets nasty about it, then I'd get the claws out!!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, I was curious too, so I went looking. At first glance these look like the same card, but if you look closely, especially at the word stamp, you can see that they aren't the same card. It definitely looks like a CASE, but it is not the identical card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I checked it out, too. The card is in this person's swap gallery and on most cards she put the copyright for Stampin' Up as well as "card created by..."
Is it possible she didn't have your name for some reason? I think a polite pm would do the trick. I really don't think she was trying to take your idea since she put it in her swap gallery and gives credit to the creators of most of the cards in there!! I hope you get things cleared up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with sparksdm, that is not the same card.

The sentiment stamp is off and the pattern along the bottom is lined up differently.

It appears that someone did CASE it and use it in a swap, but how was she to know? She did post it in her Swaps Received album.

IMO, I think you owe this lady an apology.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that this person should have given credit where credit is due.

I would feel honored to have someone case me, But still it would be nice to have the person let others know where the idea came from.

It's a Very nice card!

Spoiler

Last edited by jeanstamping2; 02-13-2006 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 06:55 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink It is my card but

I made 10 of them so each was a little different in getting them lined up. It isn't CASEd, it's mine. My ribbon was non SU so it was a little wider.

I did receive a private message from her and she did say that by putting in her swap album she assumed everyone would now she didn't make it. I told her it wasn't clear and suggested and that in the future she post that she doesn't know who she got it from but it was from an all SU SCS background swap.

This is a good lesson for all of us to be careful about what we post and what we say about what we post.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 03:39 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I was just about to clear that up myself, but you beat me to it! If it's from a swap then it's not necessarily the EXACT same card! She never insinuated that it was the very same card that's posted in her gallery...only that it was the card she created for the purpose of the swap.

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 03:55 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi -

I often post cards that come in from my swaps because not everyone posts a gallery - I generally state on my swaps befroe hand that I am going to post the pictures and then I give credit to the person who did it in the gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

It looks to me that it is in her swap gallery. If I were looking at the gallery, I would assume that she received the cards from a swap. That's what the gallery says. Cards you receive from a swap you don't make yourself.

I think she was clear in her intentions.

Alison

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcopes
It looks to me that it is in her swap gallery. If I were looking at the gallery, I would assume that she received the cards from a swap. That's what the gallery says. Cards you receive from a swap you don't make yourself.

I think she was clear in her intentions.

Alison
I agree 100%.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I want to try very very hard to say this without being offensive, and it's just my .02 here, so here goes nothing. Most of the stamping art presented here is borrowed, CASE'd or tweaked from someone else's ideas. Very few people present completely original artwork. Especially when you consider the "art" emanates from a rubber stamp........ something that is able to be duplicated by it's very nature. It would be cumbersome, if not impossible, to credit sources for every idea or card. Was your card a completely, utterly original idea? Be honest, now.

The card was in a "swap" gallery, what more do you want? Does everyone in a swap know exactly where the cards are from to give them credit? I don't know because I've never participated in a SCS swap.

I just think that if you are participating in this forum (and by that I mean, being an active contributor to SCS) to get all the credit and kudos you can muster, you are probably in it for the wrong reason, and you are probably in the wrong place! If you want to maintain intellectual property rights over your cards, you probably first need to create your own line of stamps. I dunno, I'm not a lawyer.

Handstamped......because I can't draw
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my 2cents, no flames here please. But the very least the poster could of done was to stated that she recieved this card in a background swap here at SCS. Would never of known it was in a "Swap Album" UNLESS you actually go into her gallery. I wouldn't of known this at all until all this came up.
Live and learn something new everyday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Just my 2cents, no flames here please. But the very least the poster could of done was to stated that she recieved this card in a background swap here at SCS. Would never of known it was in a "Swap Album" UNLESS you actually go into her gallery. I wouldn't of known this at all until all this came up.
Live and learn something new everyday.
I was just going to point out this same thing. When you search the galleries for certain stamp sets, keywords, or date of upload, you don't get to see what "album" it is uploaded to unless you click on that user's link. Therefore, a little blurb in the discription stating it was from a swap, as well as being uploaded to the swap album would have been the proper and polite thing to do.
Reply With Quote Likes