Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Enough/too much/other?
PLEASE! Enough already! 26 47.27%
Please: Fill this gap (see comments below) 9 16.36%
Please? I need more, more, MORE!!! 19 34.55%
Oh, please! Why you buggin' me? 1 1.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Poll: Market Saturation - yes or no or ???

I know that there are literally THOUSANDS of stamp companies out there, from direct-marketing to mom-and-pop operations to "big names" and whatever. So, I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on this subject: Are there enough/too many stamp companies out there already, or is there always room for more, or is it something in between? Thoughts? Poems? Anecdotes? Have you noticed a particular niche/style/genre that is somewhat neglected? (I think that there should be more Daniel Torrente-style stamps, myself...)

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Sue, I say the more the merrier. It doesn't mean that I will purchase from all of them, but as the saying goes, there's a pot for every lid!

There's one style that I just don't see enough of, and that's a primitive country style. I used to design for The Saltbox Studio, which was my good friend Beth's brainchild. She had a background in needle art, and that style translated so well to her line of stamps. Sadly, she's no longer creating stamp art. I try to find the primitive country style from other companies, and just translate the look with colors and patterned papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think variety is good, but what I don't like is how similar many of the stamp lines are (if you've seen one bunny you've seen them all ) There is a definite lack of clean modern designs, and designs influenced by distinctive print-design eras like the 60s or 70s.

It seems that there are many artists trained in graphic design working in the industry, but they don't seem to create many stamps in that style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

Good question!

I am ok with how many there are. There are whole groups I never look at.

I do need more Jewish stamps. No more Stars of David or Menorahs. There are other things to do. Nice modern designs. I am not a fan of most primitive...I started stamping b/c of the lack of cards commerically that are not primitive...only to discover there are few Jewish stamps- and a lot of them are primitive. oy.

People are so different it takes a LOT of variety to satisfy us.

Given the very wide diversity of styles I see in the gallery-it's good that we have a lot of choice. Sometimes we all go bonkers for one thing like crazy birds but after that...it is a very wide field of materials and visions right?

The other day DH finally came over to see what it is I am often looking at when online (the gallery) and "oohing" over, and was so impressed with how pretty the cards were- "those are really works of art!" and how different one was from the next. Now he gets it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm definitely in the "there's always room for more" group!

Mom & Pop companies, online availability of brands sold internationally, stamp companies started up by hopeful artists and their financial partner or just by themselves, direct sales companies, stamp companies found largely at vendor shows with small online sales or even highly favored online sales ... it's all good! In essence, competition is an essential dynamic to keeping more good things on the horizon ... including wonderful new & tempting stamp designs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #6  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Well Sue, I say the more the merrier. It doesn't mean that I will purchase from all of them, but as the saying goes, there's a pot for every lid!

There's one style that I just don't see enough of, and that's a primitive country style. I used to design for The Saltbox Studio, which was my good friend Beth's brainchild. She had a background in needle art, and that style translated so well to her line of stamps. Sadly, she's no longer creating stamp art. I try to find the primitive country style from other companies, and just translate the look with colors and patterned papers.
Mary Rose ~

MFP Stamp Shop has a primitive country set you might like. Primitive Farm.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I want stamps like DOTS (now CTMH) used to sell in the '90's. Uh.. "cutesy" I guess? I'm not sure how they're labelled. I buy an old-styled image whenever I find them, but it's always at conventions where there are also stampers trying to get rid of their VERY old stamps. Almost never NEW stamps. The last "new" stamps I bought like that were a "nostalgic"-type of issue by CTMH - two sets brought back by Lynette (who also drew the old-style DOTS stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post

I've bought a lot of stuff from Wood Cellar Graphics, which also sells primitive stamp images:
Product Listing - primitives
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I want stamps like DOTS (now CTMH) used to sell in the '90's. Uh.. "cutesy" I guess? I'm not sure how they're labelled. I buy an old-styled image whenever I find them, but it's always at conventions where there are also stampers trying to get rid of their VERY old stamps. Almost never NEW stamps. The last "new" stamps I bought like that were a "nostalgic"-type of issue by CTMH - two sets brought back by Lynette (who also drew the old-style DOTS stamps.
Sophie-I think you can get DOTs on ebay-take a look:

DOTS rubber stamps | eBay

Is that what you were looking for? You know I think of you when I see church stamps now.

**I forgot to say something...I love finding a company I have never seen before-even if it turns out they are not my style-I get a kick out of looking anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is always nice to see new companies pop up, however I would love to see some of the older companies that are no longer around reemerge.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Sophie-I think you can get DOTs on ebay-take a look:

DOTS rubber stamps | eBay

Is that what you were looking for? You know I think of you when I see church stamps now.

**I forgot to say something...I love finding a company I have never seen before-even if it turns out they are not my style-I get a kick out of looking anyway!

Lol yes, that is what I'm looking for. I DO look and buy from Ebay!! Lol and I do have a couple of great church stamps now! But I was thinking of a new company's "niche" - I've been looking and looking for a company that will sell stamps in that cutesy style, so I'm not always at the mercy of stampers who don't want their very old stamps anymore (who sell through Ebay and conventions).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm lucky. One of the reasons I don't buy a lot of stamps is that I don't see enough stamps that I love ... and these days I can't afford to buy stamps that I am not in love with and/or will not get a ton of use from.

These days, I'm looking for more realistic style stamps that I can color with my Copics markers. I hope to soon add SU's Open Sea and Traveler sets to my little collection. Next, I'll be buying some Stampscapes scenic stamps to see if I am capable of building a scene and coloring it as some others have done so well.

The only fun, whimsical style stamps I'm shopping for these days are a couple of cheery Get Well type sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I'm lucky. One of the reasons I don't buy a lot of stamps is that I don't see enough stamps that I love ... and these days I can't afford to buy stamps that I am not in love with and/or will not get a ton of use from.

These days, I'm looking for more realistic style stamps that I can color with my Copics markers. I hope to soon add SU's Open Sea and Traveler sets to my little collection. Next, I'll be buying some Stampscapes scenic stamps to see if I am capable of building a scene and coloring it as some others have done so well.

The only fun, whimsical style stamps I'm shopping for these days are a couple of cheery Get Well type sets.
Sweet and Sassy Stamps have Get Well Critters, which is fun and cute, not sure if it's the sort of thing you're looking for. I wouldn't use all the sentiments but I love the images.
Be back in a tick with a link:http://www.sweetnsassystamps.com/get...ear-stamp-set/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Awesome responses, all! It's fun to see who thinks what, and what gaps there might be, and all the rest of it! Thanks for your input!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm always interested in seeing new companies but I think there are over-saturation of certain image styles. Even though I do like an occasional "cutesy" animal, IMHO too many companies offer what seems too similar.

Recently I been more attracted to non-US based companies. It seems the image styles are fresh and fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
... I think there are over-saturation of certain image styles. Even though I do like an occasional "cutesy" animal, IMHO too many companies offer what seems too similar.
I completely agree! Forgive me for sounding crazy-on-the-fringe, but I think the problem is Greed coupled with a Lack of Artistic Inspiration.

Instead of stamp companies finding their own niche, their own style we see companies jump on the latest trend bandwagon. Not only is the subject matter similar, but so are the styles in which they are drawn. YAWN!

In the 1990s, stitched dolls/angels were popular at both Stampin Up and D.O.T.S. Later, it was the cutsie stamps where every line was doodle-like or ended in a curlie-cue. Magnolia (I think) started the cute kids craze (which sort of reminds of me of the Holly Hobby & Strawberry Shortcake girls of the 1970s)

Sadly, the big name stamp companies rule the business--even though they carry some of the more mundane stamps. If the little guy store is going to stay in business, it needs create its own style and run with it instead of stumbling to keep up with the trends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I'm always looking for stamp companies that design modern sleek-looking stamps that have a more graphic look. Don't see a lot of those out there. I will give a shout out to Altenew Stamp Company for their innovative designs. Their stuff (IMHO) is fresh and fun!

Lisa

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I like Kitchen Sink stamps for the same reason. I also like the Stampotique. I would almost guess that the designers get together and decide that certain stamp styles will prevail for the year. It sure looks like it when you hit all of the different websites.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothchicView Post
It is always nice to see new companies pop up, however I would love to see some of the older companies that are no longer around reemerge.

Barb
Like PSX!!!!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I loved the old Cornish Heritage Farm stamps!!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I like the fact that there are so many stamps out there. My all time favorite is the Art Impression stamps. I get so excited when new ones come out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I, too, get tired of the repetition in the industry. One company makes a fox stamp, 27 companies then make a fox stamp. One company offers a unique die cut of, say, a hill with Christmas trees, and then 27 other companies offer the same thing (and Stampin' Up gets it out in a catalog a full year later). It's a "follow the leader" mentality. It's the same way in the home and fashion industry, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

My sister always wanted to be different from everyone else in high school, so she'd do something to her clothes or shoes to make them unique. She always got frustrated, though, because in the following weeks everyone else would copy whatever she'd done and she'd have to find something else to do to set her apart. I should enlist her to design some stamps, maybe...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

As an illustrator I have always had my own style and even though some people have told me it's recognizable, I can't really define it myself. It doesn't seem to fit any of the styles out there now and I'm proud of that.

As a stamper, I became bored with the designs I'd been seeing. Everything seemed to look the same or have the same "feel." I'll say the first exception that comes to mind is Waltzingmouse Stamps. Claire has her own unique voice and I appreciate that. Also, Gary Robertson stamps at Impression Obsession. His designs are very artistic and I appreciate his view of scenes from unusual angles - something I like to do in my own artwork.

I think there is a lot of the "same" out there, but if you really want something different, you'll find it. Don't give up - there are many artists "off the beaten path" waiting for you to discover them .

Aside to Mary Rose, I feel your pain with the loss of Saltbox Studio!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

So funny: because of this thread and searching for a card kit that was a little off the beaten path, I found an old post by Joan B mentioning that Studio Calico was more her style.

Went to their website (always thought of them as an embellishment company) and found some really terrific stamps! Totally my style — and they're having a free shipping+ 20% off sale this weekend. I'm actually excited to get this one particular stamp, which hasn't happened in a long time.

So I'm going to save my pennies and keep searching for companies and moments like this -- it's so much more fun. (Related: I'm a little bit underwhelmed with the holiday SU catalog :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

As someone who is a stamp maker/seller, yes, there's too many out there. ROFL Mine are mostly words/phrases/sentiments. I'm decent at drawing but I'm working with an old adobe program, on occasion inkscape (quite a learning curve), and I do it all using a mouse! I don't have any graphic arts background at all. I kind of fell into doing it in the first place back on 2 peas. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

I totally like when I find someone making stamps in something "new" I don't already have... but, it does not stop me from adding stamps in themes I collect because they suit people I make cards for.

for instance you know how hard it is to find a decent Corvette in a good size to color?
(its hard, I have some they are pretty small and to my eyes every year they look smaller)
there is another thread out looking for companies that have some "gun" stamps... I think the biggest "lack" in the market is actually outdoor activities that are slightly masculine. ( I am surrounded by guys so, trust me when I say this is the type of stamps I pick up when I find them)

as for bunny stamps, funny true story this one followed me home on tuesday... ( and it is very different then all my "other bunny" stamps.)
Michelle Masters Cling Mount Stamp - Special Delivery AGC1-2627

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
as for bunny stamps, funny true story this one followed me home on tuesday... ( and it is very different then all my "other bunny" stamps.)
Michelle Masters Cling Mount Stamp - Special Delivery AGC1-2627
Well, shut my mouth! That is very cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Personally, I think there's too much because a lot of it is so repetitive. However, if small stamp stores are enjoying them selves and making money, why shouldn't they be out there? Maybe it's because I've been stamping a long time. There are so many colors and images that I've seen or own that it's just that the old is new again. :-)

I think there needs to be more creative guy stamps. How many times can you use a wild animal on a card? lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I am always saddened when I hear of another stamp company closing even if I don't particularly like their stamps. And I really appreciate companies such as Stamp Francisco who have bought old stamp designs and continue to make them available.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

If there was even ONE hockey stamp for every thousand flower stamps, I'd be a happy stamper.

And I'd be happy to draw the ponytail on by hand to make it a female hockey player.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I would love to see more realistic stamps for auto racing and hot rods. There are many types of vehicles that race, from top fuel dragsters all the way down to go karts. And then there are the hot rods and sports cars such as you see at Barrett Jackson auctions.

Most of the men in my family race. My father owns most of the cars and the others work on them & drive. My Dad is 80 and he occasionally still gets behind the wheel of one of his cars during practice. I have a couple of sets that work, but nothing that is really appropriate for the kinds of cars they drive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to find more inside sentiments. I've utilized the great sentiment spreadsheet here from SCS, but would rather have some nice inside sentiments to stamp. If there are companies out there, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I love most styles of stamps and am happy to have lots of companies to choose from. Some of my favorites off the top of my head would be Sheena Douglass, viva las vegas stamps, the stamps of life, Fun Stamper's Journey, the list goes on and on...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimbee1556View Post
I would like to find more inside sentiments. I've utilized the great sentiment spreadsheet here from SCS, but would rather have some nice inside sentiments to stamp. If there are companies out there, please let me know!
Riley and Company Stamps has a bunch of great sentiments. Funny, snarky and loving. Start here.

Funny Bones!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It must be really hard to own a stamp company. The competition is enormous. Trendy sells well and you have to make money to stay in business. But if all you do is copy what everyone else is doing, it is hard to get noticed.

It's a jungle out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimbee1556View Post
If you are looking for funny sentiments, Hambo Stamps still has a bunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Words to the Rescue has some great sets of sentiments, both funny and caring. This is the birthday set http://www.amazon.com/Stampers-Anony...0_SR160%2C160_
Ranger Dylusions, Rubbernecker and Art Impressions have some very funny sentiment stamps.

I'm always late to the party on stamp companies, so they're all new to me ; )
Reply With Quote Likes