Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Politcally Correct Stamping

I am a birthday fairy for one of the groups here on SCS. I had been sending whatever types of bday cards I happened to make each month to the people on my list and hadn't given much thought to the fact that I may have inadvertently offended anyone with what I sent. Let me explain...

One day, right before I was about to mail off one of these cards, I happened across the intended recipient's avatar on one of the forums and saw that she was African American. I had made a card with a Bella image and had colored her in as a caucasian (as I tend to do since I am caucasian). I suddenly had a thought then that the recipient, being non-caucasian, might be offended by this card. So I exchanged it for another card from my stash that had a cupcake and mailed that.

Since then, I have not made any cards with people images that I have sent for the birthday club for fear that I might send one to someone of color who might be offended. But then maybe I'm worrying about this too much.

So my question is, particularly to those of you who are non-caucasian: If you received a card with a person image that was colored in as a caucasian (or as a person of color if you are caucasian) would you be offended or would this not bother you at all?

Please no flames here... I'm not trying to start a race issue or a discussion about equality, etc. I just want to get a idea of how others feel about this issue of politcally correct stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

no answer, just an acknowledgment that you are raising a thoughtful question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Very interesting question. I don't think I would be offended unless the image itself is obscene or offensive. The coloring on a card wouldn't bother me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this is a GREAT question. I, as a caucasian, would not feel odd receiving a card colored as a different race. But it will be interesting to see what others have to say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't be in the least offended, or even question it!

Given the friendly atmosphere here, I would be very suprised if anyone would take offense to a card sent them by an unknown fellow SCSer, unless as mentioned, it is just distasteful due to the image or sentiment iteslf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

There are oodles of things that could be on a card that would be offensive to people, especially if you are sending it to someone you don't know. I think this issue could get carried away to extreme.

For that matter, the person on the card the original poster mentions could be offensive if the person receiving it was very heavy and not like the super skinny person on the card. Some would consider that offensive.

There are just so many things that people could take offense to that it's impossible to be conscience of all of them.

Just my opinion, but certainly not shared by all.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I wouldn't be offended either...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Awesome question!

I am caucasian and would not feel the least bit offended either. Even if the image was obscene or offensive, I likely wouldn't be bothered by that either. I have pretty thick skin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I am Jewish, and am not offended if someone sends me a Christmas card. That's kind of the same thing.

In fact, at school once, someone sent a C card to everyone in the dept., and nothing to me. Now that hurt my feelings. I could see if it was a very religious card, that they might not want to give me one, but this was just pictures of ornaments, and an innoculous "Merry Christmas" or something on the inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a birthday fairy too. I send out what ever pretty cards I have on hand. I am hopeful that the reciepients are just so happy to get a card and be remembered that it is not an issue. I cant believe someone would be upset about that.
Hugs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

That is a very good question. I wouldn't be offended if I received a card with a person of a different race.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't know why anyone would flame you for being a thoughtful person!

Personally, I wouldn't be offended at all. I would gratefully accept it and know that it was given in the spirit of kindness and friendship. I would be surprised if anyone would be offended.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I too, as a caucasian, would not feel odd receiving a card colored as a different race. I think just recieving a card is a special thing, and it would make me feel thankful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am black, and got a lovely BRAK card in May with a Tilda (I think) image on the front, colored to look Caucasian. Didn't bother me one bit -- in fact, I thought about CASEing the card with stamps that I do have because I really liked the layout and use of dry embossing! :mrgreen:

It might be a nice gesture to send someone a card that "looks like me" if you happen to know the person's ethnicity, but IMO there's no need to fret about offending the recipient by sending a card with the "wrong" race depicted on it. If that person does get all huffy, well, all I can say is he/she needs more RAKs because I think such a reaction is truly the mark of an unhappy person! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Seems so often that we think there is going to be offence when it would even have been thought of. I bet the original card would have been well received!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm Caucasian and wouldn't care one bit what the Bella or any other person stamp looked like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
Seems so often that we think there is going to be offence when it would even have been thought of. I bet the original card would have been well received!
You are so right! I understand Susan's concern, though. I have very thick skin and am shockingly hard to offend, so it always surprises me when people DO take offense to things or feel hurt when no hurt at all was intended. I have relatives whom I treat with kid gloves because of this. People can be very, very sensitive, often with very good reason based on their experience. I appreciate Susan's opening up this for discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Don't flame me but I have a friend with Crohn's disease and a relative with Coeliac and I would try not to send them a card with a cupcake on it!

But if I didn't know, or if I forgot I don't think either of them would be offended.

And the Jewish Christmas reply made me think of a picture of a banner a friend sent me up in front of an English Church it read "Happy Easter to the Christians, Happy Passover to the Jews and to the Atheists Good Luck" still makes me chuckle! And for the record I would be happy with getting a Hanukkah card, but I would probably worry that I had offended the person and sent them a Christmas card in the past LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I am Jewish, and am not offended if someone sends me a Christmas card. That's kind of the same thing.

In fact, at school once, someone sent a C card to everyone in the dept., and nothing to me. Now that hurt my feelings. I could see if it was a very religious card, that they might not want to give me one, but this was just pictures of ornaments, and an innoculous "Merry Christmas" or something on the inside.
This is one of the reasons I have always sent "Happy Holidays" cards in the past rather than Christmas cards. I figured a general sentiment would cover all religions - or non-religions as the case may be. But then there were actually people who didn't like the fact that I was ignoring my Christian heritage and thought I should only send Christmas cards and felt I had snubbed thier religious beliefs. I just feel like I can't win whichever direction I go which is why I posted the original question on this thread. We live in such an overly sensitive society and it seems that so many people have issues with how they feel they are treated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Something along the lines of this topic: I'm sometimes curious about the Asian-inspired stamps being "stereotypical." I think the "china dolls" and geisha images are beautiful, but I skipped putting them on a recent swap thinking it was too literal and possibly offensive. I don't give a second thought to my Bellas being ridiculously thin, though. Hmm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
This is one of the reasons I have always sent "Happy Holidays" cards in the past rather than Christmas cards. I figured a general sentiment would cover all religions - or non-religions as the case may be. But then there were actually people who didn't like the fact that I was ignoring my Christian heritage and thought I should only send Christmas cards and felt I had snubbed thier religious beliefs. I just feel like I can't win whichever direction I go which is why I posted the original question on this thread. We live in such an overly sensitive society and it seems that so many people have issues with how they feel they are treated.
Maybe try "Happy Whatever" next time... completely universal :mrgreen: Sorry I don't mean to make light - I think sometimes we have to ask ourselves why it is such a big deal to someone if you got it wrong when it really should be the thought that counts. I love people thinking about me in a nice way and nice enough to send me a card.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 07-24-2009 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissainkView Post
Something along the lines of this topic: I'm sometimes curious about the Asian-inspired stamps being "stereotypical." I think the "china dolls" and geisha images are beautiful, but I skipped putting them on a recent swap thinking it was too literal and possibly offensive. I don't give a second thought to my Bellas being ridiculously thin, though. Hmm.
I never thought of that. I LOVE the Asian - themed cards - especially the Geishas. Now you got me thinking. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

i'm black. actually half white half black and i wouldn't be offended at all.
there are much more important things to worry about in life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #24  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

That is something I have struggled with!! Where I live - over 60 % of folks are of Asian descent. My son has been dating an Asian girl for over a year and she is a lovely girl. But - I have some of those Hero Arts Asian Girls - very sterotypical and cutesy. My sons gf is 19 - like him - and she likes to stamp and scrapbook - but I always never would use those stamps when giving a card to her - or any asian person. I' m afraid it would come across as very sterotyped -and like I thought - oh you are different race from me, so I give a card that is sterotypically and rather stupidly asian.

Oh - it's an area to tip toe in.

Thanks for bringing it up!! It's good to know what others think.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

In my opinion, I would be thankful for any card that anyone would create especially for me with their creativity...as long as it is not distasteful. I think that the person who is creating the card has their own style, and the recipient has theirs. The recipeint may not have created the same thing, but isn't that the good and beautiful part of being oneself? I think if something is received, one should appreciate and embrace the thought behind it as well as the time and effort that went into the making of it.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Susan (Peebsmama),

I think worrying a lot about what might offend someone will take the fun and enjoyment out of crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

IMHO and as someone living in Japan, the Geisha images are not intended to be "stereotypical", rather a glimpse into Asian history. I use those types of stamps all the time and have given them to my Japanese friends only to receive "oh's and ah's" in return.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Good question. Not only does it make me think about whether or not the recipient might possibly be offended, it also makes me wonder about how much "political correctness" has permeated our lives.
I was raised not to see color, nationality, religion,or sexual orientation but rather to see the "heart and mind" of each person individually. (And I just realized as I finished typing that sentence that I might have already offended somebody because I used the s_ _ _ _ _ orientation phrase!)
I never used to worry about these things before the whole "political correctness idea" started. Now, when I find myself wondering if "so and so" will be offended because I was thinking of sending a Christmas card and maybe the person is not a Christian, I almost feel that the "stopping and wondering" part is a kind of "predjudice" itself. It has pointed out a "difference" in a person that I never would have thought of or seen before and THAT, in itself, makes me sad.
I don't know if I have explained this clearly. For me, it's hard to explain in writing. I guess I feel that BEFORE, I saw a person and now because of the whole "political correctness" issue, I am, in a way, being "told" to notice "elements" about a person. And I believe that THAT is where predjudice begins. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

>>>I just feel like I can't win whichever direction I go
I think any handmade card would be well-recieved... i mean, if I were allergic to cats and you made me a very nice card using a cat image I wouldn't complain. I don't really care for pink, but would never turn up my nose at a girly card.
I think it's about INTENT. You made a pretty card, you took time to ink and color and embellish- I think most recipients would see the INTENT was love and hard work. Now if you think about it, unless you really make the INTENT to offend (ie not sending a holiday card to the one Jewish kid in your class is just WRONG!), most people see it for what it is- a pretty card from a friend.
Now, I would never give out Kwanzaa cards with images of just a bunch of White people, KWIM? Because Kwanzaa is a Black holiday. Just like if I make a Leprechaun card he's usually White. But a group of angels would be colored in diverse shades. And I suppose that's just my opinion. I'd rather give a card than worry if its the Wrong Card.
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

PS if I mail a card to Florida, do I avoid stamping snowmen.... since its always hot there?
LOL
i am being a jerk here, but I mean, where does the Political Correctness end? LOL
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I forgot to add that I would be happy to receive ANY hand amde card! LOL! Nobody I know stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
. For me, it's hard to explain in writing. I guess I feel that BEFORE, I saw a person and now because of the whole "political correctness" issue, I am, in a way, being "told" to notice "elements" about a person. And I believe that THAT is where predjudice begins. Just my opinion.
I definitely agree! I grew up without any notion of thinking another person was any different than the next. Everyone was just.....people. There is too much emphasis these days on singling people out. The way to make people feel different from the rest is to treat them differently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

[QUOTE=kaenasmommy;14714842]i'm black. actually half white half black and i wouldn't be offended at all.
there are much more important things to worry about in life.[/QUOTE]

Agree completely! Thanks for posting this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by laura6View Post
PS if I mail a card to Florida, do I avoid stamping snowmen.... since its always hot there?
LOL
i am being a jerk here, but I mean, where does the Political Correctness end? LOL
-laura s

Your snowmen comment had me laughing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

I guess I am too laid back...I wouldn't want to blatantly offend someone, but I don't know that it is my responsibility to research or assume certain things about someone's background before sending a card. A card, in most circumstances, is a sign of giving and sharing, which in turn is a peaceful and friendly gesture. Awareness is important, but I tend to believe that our society is going a bit overboard. I guess it is developing our intra-personal intelligence if nothing else. (Thanks, Gardner!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

this was really interesting to read... I don't know if I can clearly communicate my own feelings on the topic, so I won't...

I do want to say - I don't think that thinking about such a thing is a bad thing. It's discussions on these topics that make the world a better place - so I thank you for posting this!

~Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

I think the problem is that you never know what is going to offend someone. People are so different and so many experiences have molded them.

A couple years ago, my SIL and I had a big fight around Christmas. She was very offended by some books that I had on my Amazon wish list. The books were regarding atheism. (And yes, I am aware of the irony of asking for atheist books for Christmas.) She was very upset and she told me that she would NEVER put anything on her wish list that would offend me. I had to laugh, because she can't possibly know what will offend me. I would guess that she probably assumes that if she put Christian items on her wish list it would offend me, but it wouldn't. In fact, I can't think of a single thing that she would ask for that I would find offensive.

The moral of my story is that I think people are too different to worry about it. I think most people are adult enough to realize that if they get a card with a person of a different race on it, or a Christmas card when they don't celebrate, or cat image but they are a dog person, that the sentiment was that someone was thinking of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

And here I've been thinking that our society is prejudiced about everything! THANK YOU for showing me that there are still open-minded people out there and that a lot of them are on SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I'm pacific islander and wouldn't take ANY offense!!! It's the thought that counts in my book But what a thoughtful question!
Reply With Quote Likes