Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
This is an interesting topic, and being relatively new around here I would never have thought that it would bother anyone if I didn't put in the details.
However, I do for the most part, because it is easy to type just a few words, giving credit to the maker of the beautiful product. I will say though being over 40 my memory isn't what it used to be, and I cannot always recall which line of a certain companies paper I used. (I have way too much DCWV and Basic Grey..:-D) But I think if someone asked I would dig through my paper and find out for them.
Also worth mentioning I had no idea when I first came here and uploaded cards what all those blocks were about, the big blog seemed redundant to all the details. I wasn't sure if I was suppose to type it all the products in paragraph form or fill the blocks or both. I get it now,(I think) but just pointing out it might be confusing to some people so they are afraid to type anything.

:confused:One question, how do you favorite a card? Well, two questions actually... and how do you leave a link to your blog (are you just talking about the signature link or are they linking their cards in the gallery to their blog?)
You don't have to list every detail but a general product list- mainly the stamps and any neat embellishments you use would be great.
In my Gallery there are a few images I made cards that I do not know the maker of the stamp as I received them in Wish Rak. I then just put 'Maker unknown" and usually someone will post in the comments who the maker is or PM with that info.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

Along these lines I'll go on another rant. It really bugs me when people post a really neat project with no intentions whatsoever of sharing how they made it! It's like eating some tasty treat in front of someone and saying "look what I've got, but you can't have any!" If you don't want to share how you made it, DON'T POST IT!! Okay, now I feel better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree!! As much as I like a card, if it doesn't leave the basic details, then I can't be bothered to leave a comment.
JMHO!!
jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

My intention of posting my cards here is not to garner comments, but to simply keep track of my creations. There is no way my cards are in the league of most of the stampers here, but I really have learned a lot from any information given about someone's creation. I generally try to fill in as much information as posssible and appreciate it when others do the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gotten to where I seldom click on a link to a blog to get information for a couple of reasons. One is that one of my laptops is in need of upgrading my browser and many times when I go to the blog, my browser locks up and shuts down. Another reason and one of the biggest peeves I have is when the photo here on SCS doesn't have info but the person says to go to their blog, but when you go to their blog expecting to get information on the project, instead you get an advertisement for their tutorial for purchase or for their online store where you can buy the finished project. Certain posters are incredibly bad about that - only post trying to sell you stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
Along these lines I'll go on another rant. It really bugs me when people post a really neat project with no intentions whatsoever of sharing how they made it! It's like eating some tasty treat in front of someone and saying "look what I've got, but you can't have any!" If you don't want to share how you made it, DON'T POST IT!! Okay, now I feel better.
Please read this thread for prior questions and answers by SCS on this topic:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I am referring to Post #102 by MSBetsyZ our moderator here on SCS on that thread.

I CUT AND PASTED HER COMMENTS BELOW, but please refer back to the full conversation in the above link for more details.

MSBetsy Z said: "You know, there really aren't rules that say it is necessary to fill out the categories. The gallery is made available to us to share our artwork with others. The boxes are available to fill in, but nowhere does it say they MUST be.

Put simply, It Is NOT Required.

Is it nice to do? Well, sure! But not mandatory. I imagine there are many reasons why some folks do not put that information in. It is not for you or me to decide if the reason is valid. There could be a language barrier. An injury making keyboarding difficult and/or painful. Maybe a poster just wants a place to "park" a picture of a card so she can direct long distance friends or family to it. It's NOT REQUIRED for anybody to put in any more info.

Know what I like about SCS? The owners (yes, there are "owners," lol, and WE are not them!) have spent uncountable hours and funds to grow and improve this site. Their purpose? To provide a nice environment for stampers to get together in a non-threatening, entertaining experience. Daven (aka "Splitcoast Guy," "da man," "SPLITCOAST OWNER") has always, always said that he doesn't believe in making a lot of rules, and he has avoided doing that. Censorship is rare here.

On the day that Daven and/or Tracy (the reason this whole place came into being) say that they will now REQUIRE uploaders to fill in all the blanks in their uploads, I will put some effort into nudging people to comply. Until that happens, though, I'm going to accord EVERYONE the same respect I would appreciate being shown to myself. I refuse to make demands on people where there is no authority to do so.

Put simply (here I am, trying that again), it is not up to you to police rules that do not exist. You are certainly free to skip past a picture without commenting. But I don't see where anything more than that is needed."

Think that explains very clearly how the management of SCS feels about this issue.

Last edited by deeth1; 01-24-2010 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think anyone is talking about a requirement nor wishing to upset anyone. However, if someone chooses to share their work in a gallery (there are other places to park you work where no one will see it) then sometimes just a courtesy to fill in the blanks as they are there. Of course there is no mandate however, there is also no mandate to give that card any love nor go to the poster's blog.

I choose to do my gallery by the Golden Rule - I post as much as I can because that is what I would like to see from others. I don't have a vast nor popular gallery but I think that is a reasonable request for people to post the information and not direct us to a blog for the information, for further information yes, for all the information no.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

I got promoted???? Woohoo! No, wait.....no, I think I woulda heard by now from somebody official, lol...I am not a mod. I just talk alot. Often. But thanks for the mention, Deeth1! <G>

I've been meaning to stay out of this discussion this time. Donnarie states my opinion so well, I just figured I'd eat my popcorn and keep my hands busy that way. But, I guess there's just not enough popcorn to keep me quiet for long...

As long as we're quoting from some of the (many) older threads on this topic, here's another:
"I just want to reiterate what's been said here many times. . . We don't require that all information fields be filled out. We'd like to see info in the fields we provide, sure! We're cool with blog links, too, but there's a catch.

We don't want to see pimping.

We'd like to see "For more details, here's my blog". . . . not "I'm having a workshop and these are my projects. Visit my site to reserve your spot today!" (or something like that).

If ever you see a gallery description that's more of a commercial, use the report a photo link underneath the entry. An email will be sent to our gallery mods, and they'll take care of it.

To address the gallery change thing that ked brought up. . . yes. It does sometimes take forever to get the changes to go through. The way our gallery is set up with image servers and databases and whatever Scott does to keep it going means we have a pretty slick gallery that does have a lag when you update. It'll be there, though!

Oh, here's another from an even older thread Forums at Splitcoaststampers
"Emily made a great point, which I wanted to reiterate, and which I am afraid I overlooked in my OP, and subsequent others, due to my lack of viewing things from a perspective other than my own.

I regret not considering her points below. Because she's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterPixie
Hi Ladies!

This thread caught my eye and I just wanted to pop in with a reminder. Not everybody who uploads to SCS has the time or is aware at how much people like the full list of items used to create a project. Many times the link to their blog is because the project requires many steps, and it's easier to read it that way.

SCS does not require full information for gallery uploads.

When considering contacting a person by PM to direct them to this thread, please take into account that they may just be doing what they see done in the gallery. It may be hurtful to a person to be directed here instead of having a friendly contact. However, being a past Gallery Moderator, I don't feel it is necessary to contact people for not including information or for providing blog links.

I know it's frustrating when you really want to know what was used, especially now with so many stamp companies around. So instead of PMing to direct them here, PM them to ask what they used. Many times they are happy to share with you and, as I mentioned before, they are just unaware that people really do appreciate the information being included when uploading.

Let's keep SCS a happy place, and take into consideration the feelings of the person uploading.

Thank you!

And, for that, I humbly apologize.

There Are No Requirements for how much info is to be included. As long as the photo is within allowable guidelines, anything else is just gravy. Sure, everybody appreciates it, but we don't have the right to demand it. I mean, I'd love it if my neighbor would do something about his dandelion farm every summer so they don't keep seeding into my yard. But I don't have the right to go over and scream complaints at him.

I don't know where all of you live, but is it really possible that everyone does, says and acts exactly in the way that you believe they should or that you do? Sounds like Nirvana, lol! Somewhat boring, I think, though...

It's been said over and over, by people farther up the SCS food chain than us, that the fields are there as a convenience only. It is not a rule that they be filled out. You certainly have the right to withold a comment and/or avoid following a link to a blog. Just not to demand that everyone feel and do as you decide they should.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do not comment on cards with no info nor favorite them...no matter how nice. I will NOT go to a blog to get information. Like meluvstampin says it is to risky these days to click on links.
Lazy in my book.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I do not comment on cards with no info nor favorite them...no matter how nice. I will NOT go to a blog to get information. Like meluvstampin says it is to risky these days to click on links.
Lazy in my book.
blessings.
Just as there's no requirement for how little or how much info is provided with an upload, there's also no minimum requirement for how any member chooses to comment or not. We all have the same choices here, lol. There's just no way everybody will think and choose the same, so why not "live and let live." Don't comment if you don't feel like it, for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

I've been watching this thread, and said what I felt about permalinks to a specific post on a blog being preferable to a generic Here is my Blog....
But I'd like to add that if a card in the gallery has caught my eye enough to click on, and I still think it looks good when I see the full-size picture (very occasionally it doesn't carry through on looking as good as the thumb) - well, then in my book it deserves a comment regardless of what information is or isn't there. I do prefer the information, yes, and often benefit from it for buying stuff I like; but I am not going to boycott a card simply for lack of it. I am also aware that there are people using the forum who find typing not so easy, for one reason or another.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I used to fill out the information on each line, being very specific, when I uploaded, but when you don't get many comments, it seems you're doing all that for nothing and no one is accessing it. Now I just give general information under the photo. If any one wants more details, they can check my blog or PM me.
On the other end of the complaint spectrum would be people who favorite a card and don't leave a comment That happens all the time.
These are both complaints heard all the time here. People have their reasons for doing things the way they do, some legitimate, some not. I've learned just to accept that fact and try not to let it bother me.
Oh!! I treasure all the favorites I get, even when there is no accompanying comment!

ETA: Actually, I put stamp manufacturer information on there not for the gallery viewers, but for the stamp companies. I am just so grateful to them for making images that I liked enough to buy, I want to direct more potential customers to their sites. Most of the time I don't have enough money to "reward" these companies by buying more, but I figure, the least I can do is to name them so other people might buy from them.

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 01-25-2010 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #54  
Insane Embellisher

I list most all the "ingredients' to my cards b/c I've found it incredibly helpful when others have done so for their cards. To me, not doing so, or saying "see my blog"....and then finding the link doesn't take you to the card itself is saying that it's not worth the posters time - so, right or wrong, it's not worth my time to leave a comment.

I have pm'd asking for specifics on DP and such if not listed, and each person has graciously shared the name/manufacturer/recipe, etc.

I guess for me, bottom line, is I don't have as much free time as I used to, and so anything to help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

I hate having to type it twice...so I actually just stopped posting my artwork on here all together. Why bother to do it twice when more people look and comment on my blog then they do on here.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong...but I can understand why people don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkplug17View Post
I hate having to type it twice...so I actually just stopped posting my artwork on here all together. Why bother to do it twice when more people look and comment on my blog then they do on here.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong...but I can understand why people don't.
Copy, cut and paste can be your friend. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #57  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnarieView Post
... There are always those who say that they won't comment unless the details are all filled in. I'm just never sure why this kind of animosity is necessary and I wonder how anyone would know it was directed at them.

As for myself, I put in all of the information that I have available when I upload the card. I don't do this because I want comments or because someone told me to. I do it to be helpful. But, if I've used something from my stash that I purchased several years ago, I don't get to fussy about naming it exactly. Chances are pretty slim that someone could go out and buy it anyway. Occasionally, though, someone will PM me for more info on a card. I always answers these PMs and will add the info to the card posting if it is of general interest.

I'll keep posting my cards in the gallery even if I never get another comment, because if even one person is inspired by something I did, that is enough. But these threads always leave me asking the same questions. With all of the ideas and techniques that are shared here freely, why not just quietly pass by the ones that you don't care for? Why do some people feel it is necessary to punish others by withholding comments? What does that really accomplish other than alienating people?

Lastly, and most importantly, none of my comments are directed at the OP. She made a simple request, as she is entitled to, and we are all free to honor that request, or not honor it, as we see fit. My issue is with those who feel the need to penalize people who have been generous enough to share their ideas, but who haven't done the sharing exactly to their rigid specifications. I just don't get it.

I share what I make to be helpful. I am inspired by people here all of the time, and I hope that, from time to time, I can inspire others. I don't put my work here so others can CASE it (although anyone is welcome to do so!) I generally don't CASE, I get ideas from what I see and I make it my own. That is just how I work and I assume many others are similar.

I often don't give stamp info because my storage system doesn't allow for easy identification. I will give as much info as I can with what I have when I upload a card. If it's not enough for the people looking at it, don't look! And if you feel like you need to punish me for not giving you what you want, don't comment. It's ok! I like my work. I am proud of it, and I love comments, but I don't need them.

So, punish me all you want!
Or, you could look at my work, get what you can from it, and enjoy.
The choice is yours!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
This came up a while ago and a number of SCS members replied that they stopped posting to the gallery on SCS because they didn't want to have to keep track of the name and maker of each stamp in their collection or because they may have created the card over several days and simply don't remember every supply they used or where they got the embellishments.

For me, it adds a lot of pressure and really takes all the fun out of the creative process when you require that I write down every step of how I made the card, give manufacturers name and item numbers, ink colors, cardstock and where to buy the items I used. That also requires that I keep inventory records of every stamp, the name, maker etc and where to get them which I do not do. (Most of my collection is unmounted rubber and I have no idea who makes them.)

I used to post cards several times a month in the gallery, but now I only post here once in a great while (usually for a challenge) and only when I know who makes all the products.. At least 90% of all the cards I make never make it to the gallery here because of this issue and I know I am not alone. Many of my friends who are very talented haven't posted anything to the gallery in more than a year because of this issue.
That really sucks! It is sad to lose talent, because of this issue. Please know that there are lots of us who would be thrilled to see WHATEVER you have to share!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to just add that probably some or lots of people who view or upload to the gallery almost never make it here to the forums. (My real-life friend who views and uploads cards regularly mostly stays in the gallery; she hardly ever comes to the forums unless I email her a link to a thread) So it might seem like nothing really changes, 'cause uploaders might not ever look at this thread or any similar one.

But these threads are helpful anyway, I read a similar one a long time ago and because of that one, I did go back to change all my blog links to link to the specific card. I imagine I'm probably not the only one who made changes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
Is it nice to do? Well, sure! But not mandatory. I imagine there are many reasons why some folks do not put that information in. It is not for you or me to decide if the reason is valid. There could be a language barrier. An injury making keyboarding difficult and/or painful. Maybe a poster just wants a place to "park" a picture of a card so she can direct long distance friends or family to it. It's NOT REQUIRED for anybody to put in any more info.

This is just what stops me from describing how I made my cards. You can't imagine what effort it is to describe in a foreign language when you are not even sure of the words to use in your own language as card making implies a huge amount of technical words and products. I can understand when you are describing but I could'nt describe myself.

I did it once because I had imagine how to make a kind of embellishment I put on a card all by myself. I'm sure it's a special technique that has already been described but as I had never encountered it I could'nt name it thus I tried to explain how I had done it. It took me ages to do so.

I took me also a lot of time to try and answer this thread and as it is an old one I'm not even sure anyone will even have a look at it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Bon jour, fabig1! Funny that you posted your comment today...you made the point that your language skills keep you from posting a lot of details. Today I'm really relating to those people who have physical limitations...I broke my wrist the other day, and I'm finding it VERY difficult and time-consuming to type. Thank you for posting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 02:31 AM   #62  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

Sorry about your wrist, Betsy! I've never done it, but my mother and aunt both did. I remember having to address all my mum's Christmas cards that year. And when I was at my doctor's recently, she'd just broken hers and was definitely struggling with using the computer. Take it easy and let it heal well.
fabig1, thank you for taking the time to post. I know how long it takes me to write a letter in French that I feel the grammar is good enough for me to be happy mailing it, (I speak it fairly well, but like to get the grammar and spelling write when I am writing to someone) so I appreciate the time you took.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #63  
Watercolor Wizard

I have a journal next to where I stamp. In it the challenge under that, the stamp and design paper etc. I am on a few design teams so I got into the habit of keeping a journal with the products. I learned this from other ladies who are on several design teams. I will not put down copics I use, but will put down whether I used copis or pencil or water colors. I do not expect every one to do this but I do agree that you could put down the name of the stamp and design paper if you use and also the punch.
Reply With Quote Likes