Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plaid background?

I have an older background stamp from SU called flannel plaid , I am trying to figure out how to make it a true plaid. I went to the gallery for insipration but I only could find cards using one color? Any ideas oh creative women of splitcoast?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

In a true plaid the stripes alternate different colors, so the only thing I can come up with is to use markers or the edge of a stamp pad to color in separate lines in the stamp (vertically and horizontally), then stamp it...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I believe there are plaid-maker stamps which would probably give the effect you're looking for.
If you have alcohol inks I'm a big fan of Tim Holtz's plaid technique:
Examples here and here. There's a link to his tutorial in the first example.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a very old set of SU! stamps that have 3-4 long, narrow stamps on them. You can stamp off in different colors, using the different long stamps. Each long stamp also has a different line effect on it, so the lines are not all the same. It's pretty cool. Thank you for reminding me of these, as I haven't pulled them out and used them in quite awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Both Papertrey Ink and Waltzingmouse Stamps have striped stamps with which you can make a plaid background using different colors. I think it would be very difficult to make a true multicolored plaid with an allover plaid stamp. But, if it can be done, I'm sure someone here will come up with a viable solution!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
I have a very old set of SU! stamps that have 3-4 long, narrow stamps on them. You can stamp off in different colors, using the different long stamps. Each long stamp also has a different line effect on it, so the lines are not all the same. It's pretty cool. Thank you for reminding me of these, as I haven't pulled them out and used them in quite awhile.
I also have that set. It's an old one called "Perfect Plaids" and it usually goes for pretty cheap on ebay. I think it's time to dig out my set as well. I'm thinking something that resembled a Christmas blanket, in deep green and red.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here are a few projects using the Perfect Plaids stamp set. I really like the last one!

IC258, Just Saying Hello by jljones413 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
SC306 - ...smilin' bear luv... by Mutnik - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
IC245 Decade Gifts Cupcake by krischir - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
DISTRESSED DAD'S SHIRT [pic] by marilynprestonn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 773 Likes on 556 Posts
Default DRS Designs' Woven Plaid Stamp

DRS Designs has two different plaid stamps (Woven Plaid and Open Plaid). www.drsdesigns.com

Recently I bought the Woven Plaid stamp and I just L-O-V-E it! I'm able to create beautiful plaid paper in any color combination I want just by varying the ink colors. I usually stamp across my cardstock with the lightest of 2 ink colors, then turn the cardstock 90� and stamp with the darker ink color. Sometimes I use 3 different ink colors ... a light color and two darker colors. I've been stamping for over 15 years and I don't know when I've enjoyed a stamp as much as the Woven Plaid.

Here are links to some gallery samples by JustWriteDesigns, Chrissyd723, Jray and Karin Lynn:

2 Birds, 1 Ball F4A85 by justwritedesigns - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

CC345 FALL FLOWERS by Chrissyd723 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

DRS designs May you be richly blessed by jray - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Peace on Earth by Karin Lynn - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

~ Rita

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

You could also use sponge daubers to make larger sections of each color. That would be a lot faster than markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #10  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

You could also use another technique from Tim Holtz and make your own custom stamp pad using cut and dry foam if you want to be able to stamp the image repeatedly (I'm paraphrasing t!m in these instructions and I have not done this myself, but I've seen his videos): stamp the plaid image onto the foam with permanent ink and, before removing the stamp, draw around the stamp using a pen or marker against the perimeter of the stamp so that you have a line that is the size of the stamp - you'll cut along this line and this foam becomes your stamp pad. Be sure to clean the permanent ink off of your stamp so that the rubber is clean. Next use dye ink reinkers and add ink along the lines wherever you want specific colors. The colors will appear to bleed on the foam but they'll stay crisp when you stamp the image. Then press the stamp into the inked foam 'ink pad' and stamp the image onto paper. t!m suggests to stamp the image in color and tape it to the outside of a plastic baggie and to store the foam 'stamp pad' inside the baggie. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Default wow

wow I always know that my questions will be answered !! And how!! Thank you ladies ....now anyone want to come over to my studio and show me how halfof these things i have bought work? lol....no really?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I also have that set. It's an old one called "Perfect Plaids" and it usually goes for pretty cheap on ebay. I think it's time to dig out my set as well. I'm thinking something that resembled a Christmas blanket, in deep green and red.
Melissa, thank you for giving me the idea of using this as a Christmas card background. Also for posting the cards with the use of this stamp set. Much appreciated. And here I thought I was the only one left in the world with this set! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes