Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinterest

Can someone help me understand the purpose(s) of Pinterest? I looked at the site and read what they had on it but I just don't get it. Is it similar to SCS? Not very savy with the world of electronic data. TFYH
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I just think of it as a visual electronic bulletin board. I use it to bookmark things I like. I rarely use the bookmark feature on my browser anymore. Pinterest is especially great for pinning and organizing anything related to what interests me. And when you start following the boards of others, the things they pin are fed to you so you can find even more things you will love and will want to pin. It's an addiction!Susan Stasel on Pinterest

Last edited by Susan_Stasel; 08-16-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've looked at some of the pages, and I agree, it's very fun to look.

I have problems when I try to follow a picture back to the source and get some sort of directions or instruction for the project in the picture. It just seems to bounce me all around, and I never find the beginning place.

I feel like I don't really know how it works. When I bookmark a site, it takes me right to the blog, or directions of what I bookmarked. Pinterest seems to be a never ending rabbit hole.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe, but it is wonderful rabbit trail! I stepped into Pinterest last summer after my girls kept showing me things they had pinned. It really is an addiction. I have found soooo many StampinUp boards that I never check the gallery here anymore. I have my own board of what I have made, a board of what I 'favourite' and will likely create a version of at some point, and the main SU Only board comprising of thousands of creators. Plus 25 or more boards of other topics that interest me.

Some pinners have specific categories or each stamp set; they are very easy to follow if you only want those.

After you sign up, you choose a few themes you are interested in, then your home feed consists of pins of that nature. When you set up your own boards and also follow a few people, your home feed consists of things you or those you follow have pinned. My home feed is 90 % cards, then recipes, then odds and ends of things of those I follow.

Make sense? You can check out absolutely anythings from funny quotes to recipes to DIY crafts to home decor to history.... it is endless. One thing I have about online stuff is not using my real name... a privacy thing. So I use my initials.

Let me link my StampinUp board for you to see.

My StampinUp Only
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Pinterest is awesome. I have boards of my own work, and boards of the various cards/tags etc that I find inspiring. A good way to find stuff you like is to search by Name, ie Tim Holtz, or by technique, Rubber Stamping for instance. Its a great way of saving things you like the look of without having to print & physically store them. When you click on an image, not the pin button, just click on the image, a larger version comes up. Usually then either at the top you will have a button for 'website', or at the bottom a link to the persons blog. Hth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I do almost all my meal planning from it now too. I rarely pull out cookbooks anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't go there - you may never come out again!!!!!

Seriously, Pinterest is awesome, but it can become extremely addicting. I have been on it for a year and love it for all the inspiration I find - whether for cards, paper crafts, other crafts, recipes, fashion, funny stuff, cute animals, etc. You can find it all there.

As an example, I chair a Craft Guild at my church and have found a lot of ideas through Pinterest. One of the members brought forth the idea of making fairy doors - what the heck???? Well, I got on Pinterest and searched fairy doors in the search engine and lo and behold there were thousands of different ideas.

I also use it when someone gives me something and tells me "here, I saved this for you, you can probably make something with it" (this happens frequently, and it is usually something random that I have no idea what to do with it). Search it up on Pinterest and there will be at least a few ideas to use as jumping off points.

The neat thing is you can create "boards" where you can pin items of a similar nature in one place - you can also invite other pinners to share a board. With our craft guild that is what we do - we have several shared boards that everyone can pin to and see what others have pinned. We then use them as discussion points to decide what crafts we want to do and who will be the lead person for each (whoever is the lead person has to come up with the working prototype and amass all the supplies and instructions for the group to follow). You can also make secret boards that only you and selected individuals can pin to. I really like that feature - that way not everyone can see what you are doing/working on.

Have fun with it - but do remember to step away from the computer from time to time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716View Post
I do almost all my meal planning from it now too. I rarely pull out cookbooks anymore.
I haven't gotten to that point, but anything i have made has been a huge hit. My DH is loving all of the different things I have been cooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I have problems when I try to follow a picture back to the source and get some sort of directions or instruction for the project in the picture. It just seems to bounce me all around, and I never find the beginning place.

I feel like I don't really know how it works. When I bookmark a site, it takes me right to the blog, or directions of what I bookmarked. Pinterest seems to be a never ending rabbit hole.
I believe what you are experiencing is a result of either "bad pinning etiquette" or “broken links”. This often happens when you repin something from someone else and that original pin doesn't refer back to the original post the picture came from. There are a couple of things you can do at this point to try and find the original post using either google or tineye.

1. How to find the original source of a Pin on Pinterest - YouTube
2. Try using TinEye to do a reverse image search
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_StaselView Post
I believe what you are experiencing is a result of either "bad pinning etiquette" or �broken links�. This often happens when you repin something from someone else and that original pin doesn't refer back to the original post the picture came from. There are a couple of things you can do at this point to try and find the original post.

Thank you. That makes sense to me. I really would like Pinterest if I could find blog posts or tutorials on how to do what is in the pictures.

I will give it another try. Maybe I've just been clicking on broken links all this time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Thank you. That makes sense to me. I really would like Pinterest if I could find blog posts or tutorials on how to do what is in the pictures.

I will give it another try. Maybe I've just been clicking on broken links all this time.
If you post a link to your pinterest page I can help you. If I find the original page I will post the link in the comments section of your pin. You can then either edit your pin (by changing the link) or just delete your pin and create a new pin from the link I referred to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

If you post a link to your pinterest page I can help you. If I find the original page I will post the link in the comments section of your pin. You can then either edit your pin (by changing the link) or just delete your pin and create a new pin from the link I referred to.
Thank you so much, Susan. That is kind of you. When I jump back into Pinterest I will do that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Don't go there - you may never come out again!!!!!
How true that can be! :lol:

I have a gazillion and a half pins...very well organized...and yes, I do use them. But my pins are focused on certain areas. I usually pin from the people I follow, but the secret to not being overwhelmed (for me anyway) is this:
1. Don't follow everybody
2. Don't follow all of the boards of the people you follow
3. Pick and choose the people you choose to follow. Decide on a criteria you will use to evaluate if you follow a board (note, I said a board, not a person). Mine is if I could pin a very large number of what they have on their board, then we are on the same page and could be friends in that area. Then, and only then, do I follow their board.

Pretty much the only people I follow everything on are my kids. Otherwise I select boards only.

I find that I can get on Pinterest twice a day...for five or ten minutes each time...and see everything posted since the last time. That's not because I only follow a few people...I follow boards from almost 200 people, and I have almost 1900 people following me, or some of my boards.

So, your Pinterest experience is what you make it. I find it a lot of fun!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

I am also on the Pinterest bandwagon. I also follow boards that I am interested in, rather than following all boards from people I know. I also like to pin favorite cards from the internet to my board so I can find them later when I want to case their ideas. It is a great way to organize internet links - much easier than page upon page of bookmarks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Love pinterest. fun great inspiring site. I rarely go into any other galleries. everything is right there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 04:34 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via Skype™ to ccorrente

I am pretty addicted to Pinterest! I too get almost all my recipes from there! Lot's of great cardmaking ideas, house cleaning tips, fashion ideas and so much more! Plus I use is as my own dream board. I keep that board locked just for my viewing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Susan, thank you so much for sharing that video on how to find the original source of a pin. Perfect!

I only dabble in Pinterest but even that takes a lot of (enjoyable) time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Great advice, Diane.

I have a couple more:

1) Don't repin something until you've checked out the original source and know it's not a bad link.
2) If there's a personal description about a pin that you're repinning, please remove it and type a comment of your own. I pinned a couple of hairstyles I was considering and directed my description towards a friend: "Cheryl, what about this hair style for me?" A number of people repinned it with that description. It's easy enough to change. Made me laugh.
3) If you are pinning from an original source, describe the pin. Searches work off of the written description, so simply writing "love" or "must do this" doesn't help anyone.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Pinterest is amazing.

You can find almost anything there.

Before, I pin something I try to check if the link goes directly to what I'm looking at. Sometimes it's just a picture, other times a blog, occasionally it goes to a SU Demo group that I can't view. If it goes to a spam sight theirs an icon on Pinterest that allows you to report it and then that pin gets removed from Pinterest.

Also you can make boards with your family and friends. My SIL and I share a Hunger Games board and C.Y.D.I. has their own board too.

It's a lot of fun. And can be addictive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I'm trying not to get into Pintrest...but when I do a search for a specific type of project, I get pages and pages of the same picture over and over again. I don't find it very helpful when I'm looking for variety.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I have just started with Pinterest. What I have found is that a lot of people pin another persons pin and the links may not be valid. Either the blog doesn't exist or it takes you to their home page of the blog not where the card actually is. The good part about Pinterest versus just using bookmarks is that you can see the picture of the card exactly and know that is what you want to use. I can sort them out by whatever category I choose such as SU, male cards, wedding, My Favorite Things, specific holidays etc. I try to follow the pin to the beginning and Pin from the original site. If it is from a closed link such as demonstrators forum on SU then I can just repin it and I note that in the comment section.

I'm still a newbie at it, but do find it helpful. For instance I just received a bunch of new MFT stamps. Some of them I was unsure what I was going to create with them so off I went to a google image search and then pinned them creating a MFT board. This way I will have ideas available when I use them and don't have to sift through hundreds of pins In a huge group labelled card-making. Originally I had one board called "cardmaking". I soon found that was way too vague and now am sorting them into various categories. I'm liking that a bunch.

Last edited by bound4london; 08-17-2013 at 11:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
Originally I had one board called "cardmaking". I soon found that was way too vague and now am sorting them into various categories. I'm liking that a bunch.
Yep, I did that a while back, too. I had so many cards that there was no way to find anything. It took a while to get through all of them and put them into categories...and I had to break down the floral category into multiple floral types, but I do like it a lot. I also found LOTS of duplicates that way!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

The problem with sorting by a particular board or stamp set, is unless a follower follows all of your boards, they won't see any new boards you create.

For example, if I follow my best friend, I automatically see every board she creates (and can then go in and unsubscribe for boards I don't want to see when those items start popping up in my feed).

If I'm following a stranger, I only pick certain boards (such as papercrafting or vegetarian recipes), not everything. If that stranger creates a new board for something, I won't see it because I only follow the 2 boards, and I'm not going to go check out that person's page to see what new boards they create.

So I've set mine up as just a general papercrafting board, and then it's sortable by hash tags. For example, I label all Stampin' Up products with#SU and then items featuring a specific set as #SU #FlowerShop as an example. I also use hash tags for 3D items, tutorials, or by season/occasion (#Christmas, #Sympathy, #wedding, etc.).

Makalah (makalah) on Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #24  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

I go but I will follow........please tell me how to pin? thank you and love seeing your work there as well as here........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

You need to create a Pinterest account. Then you can set up boards to organize your pins. Follow some people or look for friends to show up in your feed (like Facebook), and then you can hover over images to pin them to the board you want to save it in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

I don't have a blog so I don't have something concrete to pin from.. When I think of it, as I describe my card prior to posting a photo, I note that it is 'photo only' so people know what they see is what they get.

For my own pinning of others cards, I rarely need to find the source. I just want the picture for ideas.

For recipes, and other things that I want more info on, I check to see the source before I pin. I have often came across what looked like a good idea, only to be told that either it has been considered an usafe link, or just someone's facebook page or something. Then I don't bother pinning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Here is a site I found helpful to get me started.
How to Use Pinterest for Beginners

As for dividing my boards. I use Pinterest to help me out and for my ease in finding things. I truthfully don't do it for others. If they want to follow my boards I welcome them but that's not my purpose in using the site. I'm not using it as a social network but as a personal filing cabinet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

The thing that does irritate me with Pinterest, is that I follow certain boards, because thats what I'm interested in. Then I get every single thing that person pins on my home feed, even if its on other boards of theirs. Which leads to me unfollowing a lot of boards, because my home fed is full of stuff I have no interest in. Why don't we just get pins from the boards we follow, or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
The thing that does irritate me with Pinterest, is that I follow certain boards, because thats what I'm interested in. Then I get every single thing that person pins on my home feed, even if its on other boards of theirs. Which leads to me unfollowing a lot of boards, because my home fed is full of stuff I have no interest in. Why don't we just get pins from the boards we follow, or am I missing something?
Go to that person's page, and unfollow the boards you don't want. You're probably following all boards, so as they create new, you're seeing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Makalah, I've just been following links & unfollowing, I found a number of boards I was apparently 'following', that I would never have followed, as they don't interest me- one was surfing, for instance. Never done it, not interested in it. So, I must admit to being curious about how I came to be following these peoples boards? Another was religious icons(!) definitely not my thing, another street art & photography. And they were random boards on peoples pages, not the whole page being followed. Hopefully I have tidied up my home feed now, I am really glad to see the back of one pinner, I swear, she must pin every image she sees on the net, 24/7!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

I believe what you are experiencing is a result of either "bad pinning etiquette" or �broken links�. This often happens when you repin something from someone else and that original pin doesn't refer back to the original post the picture came from. There are a couple of things you can do at this point to try and find the original post using either google or tineye.

Thank you so much! You my Friend are most helpful :p

The number 1 problem with Pintrest is BAD Link!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I LOVE Pinterest for my cardmaking. I really like to use card sketches as a jumping off point to create cards. So I've got a board dedicated to card sketches. When I'm ready to make cards, I take my tablet to my work area and use the Pinterest app to look at sketches or cards I want to CASE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

I recently wrote a detailed post on how to use Pinterest for absolute beginners. I think it might help you:
How to Use Pinterest for Beginners

I explained what it is and why it may or may not be right for you. I also explain how to use it if you decide you want to get started with it.

I personally love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Is there a limit to how much you can pin to your three private boards? Is there a down side to doing this other than not being able to create a lot of categories? I guess if I join Pinterest, I'd like it to be my personal online bulletin board. I'm not particularly interested in having others see it.

I feel like Cardmaker2 about not wanting my real name online. Do I put in a screen name at the beginning of the sign-up, or does that part come later?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #35  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I don't have a blog so I don't have something concrete to pin from.. When I think of it, as I describe my card prior to posting a photo, I note that it is 'photo only' so people know what they see is what they get.

For my own pinning of others cards, I rarely need to find the source. I just want the picture for ideas.

For recipes, and other things that I want more info on, I check to see the source before I pin. I have often came across what looked like a good idea, only to be told that either it has been considered an usafe link, or just someone's facebook page or something. Then I don't bother pinning.
If you are pinning your own creations, you can pin from your gallery here at SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperManipulatorView Post
Is there a limit to how much you can pin to your three private boards? Is there a down side to doing this other than not being able to create a lot of categories? I guess if I join Pinterest, I'd like it to be my personal online bulletin board. I'm not particularly interested in having others see it.

I feel like Cardmaker2 about not wanting my real name online. Do I put in a screen name at the beginning of the sign-up, or does that part come later?
When I created my account I used a totally fake name and also created an gmail to go with it. I like anonymity. I know very little about Pinterest so I don't converse with people there, I just pin things I like. I am going to take a look at the tutorial for beginners that was posted here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I also use a fake name. I have boards to keep track of cards I'd like to make. It's so easy to get lost in all the stuff on pinterest. I can easily spend 2 hours on it. I set a time limit now and then get crafting.

Tara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperManipulatorView Post

Oddly, when it asks for your username that never shows up. So I went back in and editted my account and if I remember right, it was the first part of the signup. I just changed my full name to my initials.

I like others ideas of using a fake name as well. It does mean that people who know you can't find you as easily. Which may be good, or inconvenient!

Depends on your purpose for using Pinterest I guess. Mine is both for my own sake, but I don't mind if someone who know me finds me. Initials have worked well for me. Not many people know who I am but my close family and those I have told.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
Oddly, when it asks for your username that never shows up. So I went back in and editted my account and if I remember right, it was the first part of the signup. I just changed my full name to my initials.

I like others ideas of using a fake name as well. It does mean that people who know you can't find you as easily. Which may be good, or inconvenient!

Depends on your purpose for using Pinterest I guess. Mine is both for my own sake, but I don't mind if someone who know me finds me. Initials have worked well for me. Not many people know who I am but my close family and those I have told.
If I want friends to find me, I tell them my username. But honestly, I don't even know why they'd want to find me. It's not like we can chat or anything. I just go on and pin cards I love. Or follow people's boards that I love. I have found some awesome boards on there to follow. They do my work for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really should tidy up my boards.... I need to get rid of things with bad links.

I like pinterest but I like pinning more than sorting. That said I have made some recipes and I love that I can search something random and normally I will get useful hits.
Reply With Quote Likes