Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #81  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation points ending every sentence. Use a period.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #82  
Matboard Maniac

I really get annoyed when I am going on some website and for security reasons you have to type in the letters you see, what I see is always wrong. Are you supposed to guess if that is a q or an a? do you have to put capital letters? I try and than go on to somewhere else after a few incorrect guesses; your security worked-kept me out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #83  
Matboard Maniac

Good thread!

I agree with blogs that automatically have music that start playing!

I usually have MY TIME after midnight when my tiny house is finally quiet and I put my noise cancelling "Princess Leah" headphones on...

OH MY WORD! It SCARES THE STEW out of me! I am not expecting it and even if I love the music selection it is just a shock that I can't handle at 2am!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #84  
Matboard Maniac

Oh yes, thought of another one that I agree with...

I really LOVE it when a company offers a "Free Shipping" threshold. It REALLY encourages me to keep shopping with them and to meet that threshold.

I RARELY EVER shop where this is not offered...it is kinda like my prerequisite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #85  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: in sunny Florida on the wonderful west coast. Venice FL

Here are two more that no one has mentioned: Prepackaged cardstock that gives no clue as to the weight of the card. Invariably, it's too light-weight for my liking so I've learned not to buy it. The second one are blogs that have designed background especially if it scrolls. It's a nuisance to try to read the blog entry on top of the background. Expanding on prior comments "wal-lah" is bad enough "viola!" is worse imho.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #86  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillyb5View Post
I really get annoyed when I am going on some website and for security reasons you have to type in the letters you see, what I see is always wrong. Are you supposed to guess if that is a q or an a? do you have to put capital letters? I try and than go on to somewhere else after a few incorrect guesses; your security worked-kept me out!
There should be a refresh button (usually a little circle with an arrow). I usually refresh until I get an image I can read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #87  
Cardstock Collector

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by melolearyView Post
I don't have a lot of crafting pet peeves, either. but I want to express my hearty agreement with Joanne on the subject of incorrect product names. I have reached the point where I cannot take seriously anyone who refers to "Modge-Podge" or "pattern paper," and I come close to throwing things at the screen when someone exclaims, "Wallah!"
The one that gets me is "viola" instead of "voil�" (ok, you don't have to put in the accent) but a viola is a string instrument and does not mean "there you are".
There is a nice British lady who has a lovely site but I had to stop looking at her videos, she has the 20 second music repeat and repeat and repeat and...you get the picture, after a while I start blubbering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #88  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
... then I realized it was because the images and the text were in BLACK ink!! Wow what a great concept -- I love grey but not for reading.
Even major magazines like TIME are using grey and pastel ink for reading. In fact I don't subscribe anymore because of that. I'm wondering if there is some financial reason behind this change......black ink is more expensive than any other? Surely there must be employees who notice print that isn't black is more difficult to read.

(Of course we won't mention that the phone book is no longer readable without a magnifying glass, no matter the color of ink!) :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #89  
Hardware Hotshot

Interesting thread. I think my only Pet Peeve is when people use "Help" or a nondescript subject line . Not only do I need to open the message to see if I can help , but I use the search feature here quite often and those threads are difficult to find. Several people may have the same problem in the future and are interested in the replies, but they are difficult to find using the search feature here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #90  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crrimalView Post
I really hate when I go to a site, decide to leave so I hit the back button on my browser and can't get out of the site without closing out of my browser tab. If a company is going to prevent me from leaving the conventional way, they won't be getting my card number. Seems unscrupulous to me!

Christi
I do find this annoying but I've found out how to go around it. Rather than directly clicking the back button or pressing alt & the left arrow, right click on the back button. you will then get a list of the most recent pages you've been to & you'll be able to choose the one you want to go back to. the in- between links are usually google ad links, which I guess is a way to keep you stuck on their page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #91  
Polyshrink Goddess

One of my pet peeves is being called a "peep". Drives me nuts!

Another pet peeve is having an email stating "free shipping" only to open it up and you have to order $100 worth of stuff to get free shipping.

I love venting though....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #92  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBinPaView Post
I am so sorry, being someone who posts to subscribe. I didn't know there was another way to do it. I just noticed that's what people did so I did it too. Whoops.
I'm with you on this one. I still don't know how to do it any other way. Besides, I'm not sure it is so awful anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #93  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I'm with you on this one. I still don't know how to do it any other way. Besides, I'm not sure it is so awful anyway.
At the top of the thread, on the right, there's a box that says "Thread Tools" - You can click it and choose "Subscribe to this thread" and it will automatically send updates as if you typed "subbing" without needing to let everyone else know you're interested in it too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
The reason people don't like it is that they get an email saying there is an update on the thread they are following and go to the thread and all they see is someone saying "subbing". So it kind of wastes people's time.

The way to do it without posting "subbing" to subscribe is to go to the top of the page you're reading and to the right just above the top post you'll see a button that says "Thread Tools". Click on it and you'll see the third option is "Subscribe to this Thread" - click on that and then you'll get a screen that says "Add subscription" - click on that and you're done.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #95  
Pearl-ExPert

My pet peeve is that not everyone is as helpful and understanding (if occasionally a bit testy) as everyone on SCS. I always learn so much and now will know how to subscribe to a thread without the "subbing" thing. Thanks for all the patience and care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #96  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
That stuff doesn't bother me too much (well, other than wallah-doesn't everyone hate that??) but when people misuse their, they're and there or your and you're it kinda makes my eye twitch a little.
How about writing alot instead of a lot? It seems so hard for some people to get that right, but they would never write abunch instead of a bunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #97  
Kookie Creator

'alot' ??? Why on earth would anyone write that instead of 'a lot' makes no sense. You might as well joinallyourwordstogetherandletthereaderworkoutwhat you'resaying!

Having said that, a lot of people seem to think that 'thankyou' is all one word.
(The grammar policewoman shudders.....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #98  
Kookie Creator

On the question of 'subbing', I always thought that was someone just posting to bring it to the forefront again...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #99  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapmomoftwinsView Post
A dear friend of mine, who is a little hard of hearing, referred to bling on cards and scrapbook pages as "blink" until we gently corrected her

Misuse of apostrophes makes my head hurt, but I'm a librarian, so I guess that makes me more sensitive to it!
I chuckled about your head hurting with the misuse of apostrophes! I have the same issue.

Our neighbors have a sign that says "The Dodson's" (last name is Dodson, of course). HE is a middle school teacher and SHE is an elementary school principal!

The whole grammar issue drives me to distraction!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I just wanted to interject a thought here... Grammar (and some spelling) mistakes can make me twitchy, too, but maybe we need to be more aware that - just like some excel at CAS and some excel at layers and embellishments and all the rest of it - there are all different levels of ability in various academic areas. Case in point: my husband is one of the most intelligent people I know and can work out formulas and layouts and all of that for his work as a carpenter and mason, has yet to face a problem he can't solve (double-dog dare you to tell him "that's impossible"), is a history buff and retains all kinds of information that COMPLETELY escapes me, etc., - but he can't spell to save his life, and puts apostrophes any time an "s" is at the end of the word! My thought is that if we're overly critical of how someone says something, rather than what they're saying, maybe they'll be afraid to join the conversation. That would be a loss for all of us, I'm thinking...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #101  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
. . . My thought is that if we're overly critical of how someone says something, rather than what they're saying, maybe they'll be afraid to join the conversation. That would be a loss for all of us, I'm thinking...
So true! I do think, though, that there is a difference between a blog for a company vs a personal blog -in the case of an "official" business blog, the purpose of which is to get me to buy their product, I expect that the owner of the company should be aware that they have spelling and grammar issues and should hire someone else to do some intense proofreading of their posts. Personal blogs, eh - I'm just glad y'all are willing to share your genius with me.

And not a pet peeve, but something that appeals to the snarky side of my nature is on message boards: when a poster on a message board gets all high-and-mighty about someone else's spelling or grammar error, and makes a different spelling or grammar error in their post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #102  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BathBelleView Post
On the question of 'subbing', I always thought that was someone just posting to bring it to the forefront again...
That will bring the thread back to the top, like any other post will, but the common posts for putting something back to the top of the forum are usually either "BTT" or "bump."

Like gale, though, I don't get email notifications for threads any longer. I turned that off a long time ago and just rely on my subscriptions list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #103  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
My thought is that if we're overly critical of how someone says something, rather than what they're saying, maybe they'll be afraid to join the conversation. That would be a loss for all of us, I'm thinking...
You make a very good point--if people judged me on my math abilities, for example, I'd be in big trouble! My apostrophe "issues" are directed toward companies who want my business and printed materials such as newspapers. As far as posting here goes, that's a whole different story. We're just posting things when we have a spare second or two, and so typos, etc. will happen. Thank you for pointing this out--I would feel terrible if I made someone feel uncomfortable posting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #104  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree about the sound on the videos being too soft to understand. I do like it when they speed it up for things like fussy cutting or heat embossing. As for LSS, if they have a sample displayed they should have the products to make it. Otherwise why show a sample. I was in one store and there were 3 cards that they didn't have the stamps for so that was money they lost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #105  
Insane Embellisher

i guess there is not too much that chaps me. part of it is because i am menopausal and i cant remember what it was i was supposed to be upset about. i rarely use capitals---just too lazy to press the shift key and frankly i don't like the way they look. i know that freaks some people out. i sent an email to someone at church and she became permanently offended that i did not capitalize her name, i don't capitalize mine either, but i am guessing i didn't have to say "get over yourself" not nice! (sorry, exclamation point)

now those 40% coupons that michaels has every freakin day, but under no circumstances can you not present your coupon. a few weeks back i was in my local michaels buying yet more wedding stuff and their internet connection is terrible, so i couldn't get a coupon to pull up on the michaels app. oh no way could they let this go. they called a manager who suggested i go out to the parking lot in the pouring (i mean pouring) rain and get it to pull up and then come back in with it. the most expensive thing i had was $5 so i was going to save a whopping $2. i declined the offer to go get soaking wet and just bought my stuff and left. still i find it more funny than anything else. i am an office manager and i would never let this fly in my shop, but.....

also i only use apostrophes sporadically. not because i don't know where they go, but because i don't really care and its and extra key stroke! (sorry, again)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #106  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
i rarely use capitals---just too lazy to press the shift key and frankly i don't like the way they look. i know that freaks some people out. i sent an email to someone at church and she became permanently offended that i did not capitalize her name, i don't capitalize mine either, but i am guessing i didn't have to say "get over yourself" not nice! (sorry, exclamation point)
Bah. I'd rather you skipped capital letters than wrote in all caps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #107  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
One website irritation is when there's a small product photo with a magnifying glass to zoom it. Click on the icon, wait for the pop-up window to load . . . and it's the same small photo again.
Or in some cases, even smaller!!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #108  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelladcrockettView Post
...... One of my peeves is how so many large companies and popular challenge blogs do not use direct links to their designers in their posts......if I have to search an individual's blog for a particular post, I usually just forget it. It doesn't take long to edit a post after it goes live.....or there is always the option of using permalinks.........

One of my biggest pet peeves is with myself......when I am crafting, if I didn't drop everything on the floor, I might be able to get something done!!! :rolleyes:
Oh yes, I agree Angella about not getting a direct link to the project esp. when it's a sneak peaks of new releases. And often the DT members are on several DTs so to actually find their card using the new product is so tedious that I give up in frustration. I think it's counter-productive to the company's business. I thought it was just me who got annoyed about it.

I concur re the biggest pet peeve is with myself dropping things on the floor especially when it is something that has a sticky back and when it falls on the carpet, it always lands sticky side down - and gets all gummed up with carpet fibres etc. :rolleyes: And of course, sometimes when I drop something, it disappears entirely!

I am guilty of mixing up where to put an apostrophe when you pluralise something or it is the possessive kind. It's like I have seen it done incorrectly so often that I can't figure out how to do it anymore!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #109  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Oh yes, I agree Angella about not getting a direct link to the project esp. when it's a sneak peaks of new releases. And often the DT members are on several DTs so to actually find their card using the new product is so tedious that I give up in frustration. I think it's counter-productive to the company's business. I thought it was just me who got annoyed about it.

I concur re the biggest pet peeve is with myself dropping things on the floor especially when it is something that has a sticky back and when it falls on the carpet, it always lands sticky side down - and gets all gummed up with carpet fibres etc. :rolleyes: And of course, sometimes when I drop something, it disappears entirely!

I am guilty of mixing up where to put an apostrophe when you pluralise something or it is the possessive kind. It's like I have seen it done incorrectly so often that I can't figure out how to do it anymore!
This may help you: An apostrophe is never used to pluralize.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #110  
Hardware Hotshot

Something that hasn't been mentioned and maybe it only irritates me is people who receive BRAKs or "newbie" cards and don't take the 30 seconds required to post a very quick thank you. It doesn't bother me if you aren't crazy about my card, I just want to know that the postman/woman got it to you. Am I too sensitive?

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #111  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned and maybe it only irritates me is people who receive BRAKs or "newbie" cards and don't take the 30 seconds required to post a very quick thank you. It doesn't bother me if you aren't crazy about my card, I just want to know that the postman/woman got it to you. Am I too sensitive?

Wanda
NO, you are not! I don't send/receive such cards, but I think it is only common courtesy to at least acknowledge receiving a card or gift. And it is o easy in this day of email (or a quick phone call if one is not on line). Seems this has been left off the list of manners these days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #112  
Kookie Creator

Default Embossing folder pet peeve

One of my pet peeves is an A2 embossing folder where the embossed area is too small to cover the entire front of an A2 card with the embossing going all the way to the edge. If I want the embossed layer matted, I can always trim the edges. But at least give me the option of matting or not matting.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #113  
Kookie Creator

I totally agree Dea. I make a lot of 15 x 15cm cards and would love more embossing folders that were, say, 14 x 14cm. But most suppliers don't make them. Why not? They fit through the Big Shot. I have found a very few but would love more, I would even re-buy designs I already have in a bigger size. It is so limiting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #114  
Hardware Hotshot

I just found this link and I agree with a lot of the things on here as well. I was informed by the owners of this group that if I post my "blog" I have to post a direct link to that card and some other rules which is fine, one of you nice persons helped me by sending me the URL thing to use for my blog each time, thank you!! I try on my blog to post direct links to stamps etc except sometimes I don't on the Spellbinders dies because so many places sell them but I try and post which ones I used. I keep the URL for my blog in my word program and each time I post a link I go in and change it to the appropriate link and then you can use the little link thing on SCS posting. If anyone would like to have this link email me at [email protected] and I will share it with you also. I appreciate all the help I've been given by so many members on this group, I had never used anything like this forum before and it was overwhelming to start with, LOL I will also say I have stopped ordering from many companies that charge $6 and up for one clear set of stamps and they don't even send them 2 day priority, it takes 7 days to get them in the US, way too expensive. Thanks, Karen W
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #115  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
One of my pet peeves is an A2 embossing folder where the embossed area is too small to cover the entire front of an A2 card with the embossing going all the way to the edge. If I want the embossed layer matted, I can always trim the edges. But at least give me the option of matting or not matting.
Dea
I'm with you!! I try to scoop up the larger folders when I see them now because of this. I've been trying to do more CAS one layer cards, but I have to cut them smaller than A2 if I want to emboss the front of the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #116  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Maybe we're twins separated at birth? Of course, I usually find dropped things after I step on them or roll the wheel of my chair over them. Sigh. :rolleyes:
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #117  
Crimping Master

This thread has been quite amusing. Lots of things here that do annoy me but I can forgive most of them as people doing their best to master technology that keeps changing.

Probably my biggest peeve is the postage that keeps on giving. I know there are boxes in the US that you can put heaps in for a set price. Just because I am overseas, don't think I am naive enough to buy your cheap goods so you can make a profit on postage.

Soundtracks that play when I open a page :shock: I often surf when everyone else is asleep. Sometimes I forget to turn off the sound from a previous visit to YT or something and you can guess the rest.

Expensive products that don't work well/as described: Crooked trimmers (everyone's fave), dies that are called 'rose' (and no picture on the pack) that don't look anything like a rose, that kind of thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post

1)Crafters who toot their own horn: "Just got happy mail!!!" "Just featured on SCS Facebook page!!!" "Just got pinned by (company name here)" "Just got married!!" lol... Maybe not the last one - that one's okay. But the rest just irks me. I mean, I do those things too, but I guess I don't need to shout it from the rooftop every time it happens..
Sorry, can't completely agree with this one. Depends on where it is I guess and how often the person does it.

I've won three prizes in a decade of papercrafting - I'm just not that good. If I win something, or was featured somewhere, I'm over the moon and I have to share with my friends (and that is what I consider the SCSers to be). But I probably wouldn't do it in the tools section, IYKWIM. In the chat with my fellow Aussies that I interact with all the time or something like that would be more appropriate.

People who post novels...like me.

No, have to say I enjoy reading the novels as much as everything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #118  
Crimping Master

Wallah or wal-lah is driving me nuts. viol�

I have always been a spelling nut. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #119  
Insane Embellisher

oh I want to hear when people win, get published, whatever. heck when I got favorite of the week on this site, I was thrilled. I felt like sally field "they like me, they really really like me,"

but I like Christmas newsletters. I want to rejoice when your kids do awesome or at your promotion or grieve a little for you because your old dog passed. everyone is so busy, sometimes its the only catching up we do. I don't care if you brag a bit, good lord sometimes we have to pat ourselves on the back, we cant depend on others for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #120  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant stand when products are organized exclusively by manufacturer or some other cockeyed system- if a product is attractive to me I don't really care who made it! or when a site has so many submenus that you feel like you're spending have your time clicking and/or running around in circles
Reply With Quote Likes