Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
I agree with all of you and would add one of mine - Birthday Wishes. What kind of wishes? What is it you wish for someone on their birthday? I prefer the old standby of Happy Birthday. Short, sweet, to the point.
Don't you make a Birthday Wish when you blow out the candles on your cake? That is what I would interpret this as meaning.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #42  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...here is my latest fave (NOT!)..."Embrace Life" OK now who would you send that too? Someone contemplating suicide? I can't think of a person, situation or occasion that would warrant the use of "Embrace Life" on a greeting card. The font is too small for a scrapbook page. I love the set, but the sentiment seems a waste of rubber. I also hate it when a customer asks when you would use it...last year it was "Delight in Life". I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

I don't like people's names on quotes. I don't like that look on my cards. I DO like when it is a Bible verse and the actual verse is printed at the bottom. I cut off people's names from quote stamps. Just not my thing. And I'm pretty sure that's everyone's individual right whether or not they attribute a quote to the proper person. (Note....I said pretty sure, not positive! So don't sue me when you get a card from me that has a quote with no name attached to it!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't like a lot of the quotes either. I just don't use them. If there is a quote in the set it does make me think twice about buying the set.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

I can understand some responders saying they like the sentiments we're bashing in this thread. I think it all depends on personal taste, and I know that coming from me, most of my friends and family would think something like "cherish" or "embrace life" (that one bugs me too!) would sound pretty odd. I just don't say or write things like that. But if you do, you're the lucky one, because you'll end up with a lot of stamps you like and will get use out of! Just didn't want anyone to think I thought their choice to use these stamps was a bad one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #46  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
I can understand some responders saying they like the sentiments we're bashing in this thread. I think it all depends on personal taste, and I know that coming from me, most of my friends and family would think something like "cherish" or "embrace life" (that one bugs me too!) would sound pretty odd. I just don't say or write things like that. But if you do, you're the lucky one, because you'll end up with a lot of stamps you like and will get use out of! Just didn't want anyone to think I thought their choice to use these stamps was a bad one!

Very good point! Some of the sentiments that have been discussed in this thread are personal fave's of mine, yet my own post sounded quite angry after I read it. I really meant it to be humourous, so I hope no one took offence. We all have our personal preferences, and no sentiment is wrong or bad. Thanks for pointing this out...it made me re-read my own post. It's all good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM   #47  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapnextrasView Post
OK...here is my latest fave (NOT!)..."Embrace Life" OK now who would you send that too? Someone contemplating suicide? I can't think of a person, situation or occasion that would warrant the use of "Embrace Life" on a greeting card. The font is too small for a scrapbook page. I love the set, but the sentiment seems a waste of rubber. I also hate it when a customer asks when you would use it...last year it was "Delight in Life". I don't get it.
We used this stamp in my class last Friday, I hesitated using those words, but told them if they wanted something else to let me know. I heard the question, "Just when would I give a card that says 'embrace life'?"

We got to giggling--for a funeral? nope, too late. During an illness--naw, not then, either.

One gal, who is always really quiet, said she has just the right person in mind for this one. On the front is 'Embrace Life'. On the inside she said she'd write, "Oh, just suck it up and deal with it! Whoever said life was gonna be all fun and games anyhow?" :lol:

www.emilybradley.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilysuesueView Post
One gal, who is always really quiet, said she has just the right person in mind for this one. On the front is 'Embrace Life'. On the inside she said she'd write, "Oh, just suck it up and deal with it! Whoever said life was gonna be all fun and games anyhow?" :lol:
This is hilarious!!!

You know, it's usually the really quiet ones in the corner who come up with the wittiest, funniest statements!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

The one that makes me wonder is the set that says "I chose life..." Well, me too. I always wondered who would I send that to? Someone contemplating suicide? Or would I send it out so everyone knows I am not contemplating it myself? Just odd to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
Somewhere online I saw a really cute friend stamp. Terrible grammar. I wouldn't want to send this to anyone but I had a good laugh when I read it.

"You and me is friends.
You cry...
I cry with you.
You laugh...
I laugh with you.
You jump off a bridge...
I gonna miss you.

As to the original post, you can check online for the validity of quotes. One way to check is to google a part of the phrase, making sure that you put quotation marks at the beginning and end. Another way is to hunt it up at www.quotationspage.com or www.brainyquote.com
That is funny. I'd buy it, bad grammar and all. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Consuelo, I wish I could remember where I saw that set. It had two little girls that looked like a 1st grader's stick figures. Almost the same as you current avatar.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #52  
Crimping Master

The quote that always cracked me up was "Big Stinkin' Deal" from the Stinkin' Cute set. I can't imagine ever giving anyone a card with that quote. The little skunks in the set were cute. In fact they were stinkin' cute. Ha ha.

C

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelineeBeenieView Post
The quote that always cracked me up was "Big Stinkin' Deal" from the Stinkin' Cute set. I can't imagine ever giving anyone a card with that quote. The little skunks in the set were cute. In fact they were stinkin' cute. Ha ha.

C
I'm using that set with that sentiment for my oldest daughter's birthday cards. Because it is a big deal, and the stinkin' part is too cute with that skunk!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 02:35 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have a few pet peeves..... XMAS....umm no it's is Christmas, Your instead of You're or You are, Thanks a Bunch (to me that's sarcastic:rolleyes: )

and then over here in the UK we have to be careful when buying american craft products because of the spellings....favor vs favour, color vs colour etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have a few pet peeves..... XMAS....umm no it's is Christmas, Your instead of You're or You are, Thanks a Bunch (to me that's sarcastic:rolleyes: )

and then over here in the UK we have to be careful when buying american craft products because of the spellings....favor vs favour, color vs colour etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 AM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
I agree with all of the above...
and sometimes there's nothing wrong with the phrase, it's just too "heavy"...

Like "I'm here for you always..please know that I care." I cut out the always! I mean a co-worker can know that I'm there for them if they have a relative pass away or something, but ALWAYS is a really long time~~

Same thing on stem sayings.... Always on my mind... forever in my heart...

Whew... too deep for most folks I know and would send a card to.

I need some sayings like, "hope you feel better soon" (doesn't always have to be 'get well' or 'thinking of you')

or "Sorry to hear of your loss." which could work for someone you don't know super well or the loss of a pet.

I would love, "You're in my thoughts and prayers." nice but not over the top, and it has an apostrophe as it should.
I agree with all of your very reasonable outrage! Good Grief! Would it be so hard to check the grammar and spelling and source? stepping down from the soapbox.

That said here is a link to a stamp that says "our hearts and prayers are with you" http://www.sparklensprinkle.com/o/pr...roducts_id=991 from www.sparklensprinkle.com I am not affiliated with the company in any way other than a really satisfied customer. They have lots of wonderful funny sayings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Consuelo, I wish I could remember where I saw that set. It had two little girls that looked like a 1st grader's stick figures. Almost the same as you current avatar.
My current avatar is the SU set, All in the Family. Click on my profile to see the rest of the image. I think it's so funny that it actually looks like my family.

Anywho...back to the program...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 AM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=jukie;8389879]I have a few pet peeves..... XMAS....umm no it's is Christmas, "

Actually Xmas is perferctly okay, as "x' in Greek denotes Christ. By using the spelling Xmas Christ is not being taken out of Christmas as many people think, it's just a Biblically correct way to spell Christmas. For example, Xtian = Christian.

But this can still be your pet peeve, we all have them!
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #59  
Mad Swapper

OMG! That is adorable!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConsueloView Post
My current avatar is the SU set, All in the Family. Click on my profile to see the rest of the image. I think it's so funny that it actually looks like my family.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #60  
Kookie Creator

I think I have too quirky a personality for many of the sayings that come with SU sets. I buy the sets anyway b/c I love the designs but I find that the phrases that get ink are the simple straight forward ones like Happy Birthday or Congratulations. The only exception to this rule is if i'm making a card for my grandmother. She appreciates cards that have mushy sentiments in them and so I like using them for her.
When I make cards for my friends I try to find funny sayings like the Tickle your funny bone sets from Gina K or Hambo designs.

The current sentiment that just turns me off right now is the one in the SU True friend set. I like the boho theme of the set but hate the saying " A true friend is you friend" ICK. I don't know why but that one gets me. I think part of it has to do with the grammar of it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConsueloView Post

That is cool Consuelo! Beautiful family!!! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

This has been a very entertaining thread. I just wanted to add my own most despised sentiment, which was: "Really, I like you". It was an SU stamp from last year or the year before. I cannot envision any scenario where I would use this on a card. It sounds like you're trying to convince someone you like them. If I had to work that hard at friendship, I just wouldn't bother! Call me a curmudgeon, I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #63  
dal
Kookie Creator

This thread is pointing out that when it comes to words and phrases we are just as diverse in taste as we are when it comes to images.
In Hebrew there is a saying “In matters of taste and smell there is no wrong” Having said that – unintentional grammar errors, spelling errors and mangled or misattributed quotes are never good (I don’t like cutting the name off of a quote – it’s like CASEing a card and not giving credit). I don’t have a problem if the grammar error is intentionally part of a joke
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in '97 or so, I bought a stamp set that came with some sentiments. They irritated me so much that I gave the sentiments away to Goodwill just so I wouldn't have to look at them every time I used the set. I think one of the sentiments was "Little by little, Day by day, Friends and flowers Grow that way" or something nauseating like that (can't remember now because I gave it away years ago). But it makes me feel a little sick just typing it out. The rest of the images in the set were absolutely gorgeous though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

You guys are so funny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #66  
Insane Embellisher

Ok, there is one saying that drives me crazy. I'm not sure what SU set it's in but I do see it used fairly often. It's "Thank You for Being You". I find that to be so trite, it makes me gag.

Just my two cents.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Just giggling along! I agree with some, disagree with others. We all do have our own tastes, don't we?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You all made my day!!!

Little by little
hour by hour
you wonderful stampers
made my day flower!!!!
You all typed upon my thread
Made me feel like your (intentionally not you're)
my Friend...
Like the Lily loves the rose
this silly thread grows and grows.
You Splitcoasters are the best
Better than all the rest....
Eleanore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #69  
Hardware Hotshot

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
Little by little
hour by hour
you wonderful stampers
made my day flower!!!!
my Friend...
Eleanore Roosevelt
I am so glad I was not taking a sip of something when I read this, or I would be cleaning my computer screen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #70  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalView Post
In Hebrew there is a saying �In matters of taste and smell there is no wrong�
Whoever said this never smelled dog poop.

(Now put those two "scentiments" together and ya got a funny card! LOL!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I also do not like pun sentiments. I do not own Unfrogetable or Crab & Co. because of this. I love the pictures stamps in those sets but I just don't want all those goofy sayings. However, I do really like the "Thought you could use a little pickup" in Loads of Love. Go figure.

I strongly agree with the poster who mentioned the sentiment in True Friend. It just doesn't make much sense to me. Don't care for Stem Sayings much either.

There's also a stamp that says My dear kind & wonderful friend. Most of my friends would fall over if I gave them a card that said that much.

To end on a positive note, I really like the sets like Wonderful Words, Happy Everything, and Sincere Salutations. I rather use as few words as possible. (on my cards anyway, I'm obviously not like that on SCS!)
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #72  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Somewhere online I saw a really cute friend stamp. Terrible grammar. I wouldn't want to send this to anyone but I had a good laugh when I read it.

"You and me is friends.
You cry...
I cry with you.
You laugh...
I laugh with you.
You jump off a bridge...
I gonna miss you.

As to the original post, you can check online for the validity of quotes. One way to check is to google a part of the phrase, making sure that you put quotation marks at the beginning and end. Another way is to hunt it up at www.quotationspage.com or www.brainyquote.com
That reminds me of another cool saying:

"A good friend will help you move.
A great friend will help you move a dead body."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #73  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Too funny! Mind if I include that on my next card, minus the attribution to Mrs. Rosevelt? Bwahhhaahhaaahhaaa

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
Little by little
hour by hour
you wonderful stampers
made my day flower!!!!
my Friend...
Eleanore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #74  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

Be Eleanores (no apostrophe) Guest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #75  
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=nancystamps;8380484]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
I don't like most of the sentiments that come with the SU sets. I really hate the ones in Garden Whimsy, but especially the one that says "the time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here." quote]

Sounds like something they'd tell you while they're handing you your meds and fastening your restraints! LOL

Seriously, that's why I make my own cards, to avoid those goofy sentiments like they have in the card stores.
OMG!!!! I am laughing my butt off right now! Being a nurse, I know that all too well........ha!

Thanks for the laughs ladies!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 PM   #76  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by quirky62View Post
Ok, there is one saying that drives me crazy. I'm not sure what SU set it's in but I do see it used fairly often. It's "Thank You for Being You". I find that to be so trite, it makes me gag.

Just my two cents.
A few years ago there was this really goofy saying that said, "Thanks for being you so I can be me". So without that person, you're unable to be "you"? Wow - sounds like dependency issues...

And I have ALWAYS had a huge pet peeve about people calling Dr. Frankenstein's monster "Frankenstein". When the new SU set came out, my demo said, wait until you see this smarty pants quote set...you're not going to like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

What a funny thread!! I knew some of the sentiments were quirky but I thought it was just me!!

However, I do make alot of anniversary cards and anyone who'd like to send me their CHERISH stamp from Barque Motifs, I'd LOVE to have it!! Can't really afford the set but that senitment is reallly nice for anniversary cards. (wink wink) aahahahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 03:39 AM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

Jukie, I also would never buy a "Thanks a Bunch" stamp - we do say that here in the UK in a very sarcastic way don't we LOL!?

I was in a craft shop with my good friend Kevin. He is such a kind friend, he sometimes drives me to craft shops and waits very patiently for me to browse and shop. I saw a stamp on the shelf with the sentiment "if friends were flowers I'd pick you" and I pointed it out to him and I said "aaah, isn't that nice?". Without missing a beat he fixed me with a mock stern look and said "well, if friends were flowers I'd buy weedkiller!"

He loves me really LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 04:47 AM   #79  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfaddenView Post
quote=jukie;8389879
I have a few pet peeves..... XMAS....umm no it's is Christmas, "

Actually Xmas is perferctly okay, as "x' in Greek denotes Christ. By using the spelling Xmas Christ is not being taken out of Christmas as many people think, it's just a Biblically correct way to spell Christmas. For example, Xtian = Christian.

But this can still be your pet peeve, we all have them!
Interesting! I never knew that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #80  
Crimping Master

Or how about the sentiment in Fabulous Flowers - "Dare to be FABULOUS" Who in God's green earth would you send that to? I mean, I have the set because I love the flowers but have never once used the sentiment.

Maybe someone who was going into a beauty pageant? Oh, who knows....
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes