Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm really not too surprised by most of the results, as I can remember thinking the same when I was a new stamper. The one that surprised me was the A2 cards being too small!?! what size did they like?

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Hee, hee! I just posted a rebel card. My style is super clean and simple, linear, AR/OC. But I loosened up and used a lot of the techniques Joan's survey subjects didn't like to make a card...'cause I'm a rebel that way.;)

Dirty, Lumpy, Mistake-Filled Card, On Purpose

Go give it a try. It's lots of fun!
I am always swimming upstream, your card made me happy. Very happy. I guess I'm a rebel too!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

I made my first distressed card using crackle paints etc and had it out drying. My sister who normally flips over my cards was HORRIFIED over it..She said it looked "old" and I was laughing as I was going to send it to her! So, I sent it to my mom and she loved it as she said it looked like her favorite antique furniture.. So, i keep the person I am making in mind, and HOPE they like it..But I figure it is the thought behind it...That was the only bad comment I ever received, and it was done with love (and she thought I was loosing my mind by using that paint!) Thanks for this thread, it is fun to read what people like etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Well, there is no saying that my "not random survey group" is the norm for every community, especially since it isn't representative of the world! And, personally, I love blank cards. But, I'm just telling you what I heard over and over! I agreed with some of their observations, but not all, so I hope I was neutral in presenting.

About cards with people -- a lot of folks liked the skinny/stick figure types, but some didn't. Most did not like the kids/large head type kids at all. Almost everyone liked the elzybell/amuse type people. But, one person (a guy) thought all the people were weird! Whatever!
I myself have a hard time with Children without mouths and women without heads. Call me crazy :rolleyes:

Late Blossom said.
Thanks for sharing this, Joan! It's interesting to me that size matters so much to people.

Come on! We all know size matters! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 115 Likes on 101 Posts

Those of us who are involved in the intricacies of making special cards understand the thought and time involved much more than the customer. If they were to sit down with you while you made it, and see how much choice and care goes into the final product, they would have a different opinion, methinks.

That's also a casualty of our instant gratification society - I don't want to have to put effort into a card for you. Just sign my name and drop it in the mail. I sometimes regret our email/text message mentality. The personal letter has gone the way of the passenger pigeon.
I Blog at The BunnyNest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #46  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
I myself have a hard time with Children without mouths and women without heads. Call me crazy :rolleyes:

Late Blossom said.
Thanks for sharing this, Joan! It's interesting to me that size matters so much to people.

Hee, hee! I'm so naughty. At least someone caught that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

Default card survey

I am curious about how you package the cards for sale so that the sentiment is visible. Do you put the card in a clear envelope and put the sentiment on a slip of paper so that they know what the sentiment is, but don't have to open the card to see? I have only sold a verrrrrry few and I had a mailing label on the clear envelope that had my contact information and a line that said that the card was blank inside.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
I am curious about how you package the cards for sale so that the sentiment is visible. Do you put the card in a clear envelope and put the sentiment on a slip of paper so that they know what the sentiment is, but don't have to open the card to see? I have only sold a verrrrrry few and I had a mailing label on the clear envelope that had my contact information and a line that said that the card was blank inside.

Jutta
There are envelopes out there that fold over the card so you can open the card and look inside.

As for the Original Topic -

MOST of my cards are large cards - I have replied to many a thread that A2 is a note/notelet and not a card... see people I know what I am talking about!:mrgreen:

My family is offended if they get a card smaller than 5.5in x 8.5in so I am getting rather expert a filling that space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
There are envelopes out there that fold over the card so you can open the card and look inside.

As for the Original Topic -

MOST of my cards are large cards - I have replied to many a thread that A2 is a note/notelet and not a card... see people I know what I am talking about!:mrgreen:

My family is offended if they get a card smaller than 5.5in x 8.5in so I am getting rather expert a filling that space.
What size envelope is that? A7? TIA

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #50  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I found this chart that I hope is (1) accurate and (2) helpful - 'coz it wouldn't be much help if it wasn't accurate :rolleyes:

http://www.littlebit.com/ideas/envelope-size.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You know I have no idea - the last lot I just picked up in Wally's World when I was there.

This site says its an A9

ETA - LOL I didn't read down to see that it had already been answered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree with a lot of those things. When I first started stamping, I hated the smaller size. I'm used to it now, and I think bigger cards leave too much room that I don't want to have to think of something to write in. I only like white or cream inside the card, so I have to make that work with 4 1/4 by 5 1/2 individual pieces of cardstock, or I have to add white cardstock inside. I still don't like a lot of bulky things on cards unless I'm giving it to someone directly and not mailing. Everyone always looks inside mine, and sometimes there IS a surprise in there! I usually wait until I'm ready to send. I never like things too busy. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I found this totally fascinating! As an Aussie it is slightly different here as we don't do your A2 size cards - we don't have the envelopes for them (and it drives me crazy that the CB folders are small!!). All my cards are 6 x 4 inches and fit perfectly in our C6 sized envelopes. The embellishments are not so much an issue here because as long as it fits through the post slot (a popped image is not a problem) is doesn't matter how heavy it is....it's all the same price. I also sell 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch cards which are dearer, but people generally buy them for special occasions or a hand delivered because that size costs more to post.

I always leave mine blank - the packaging can't be opened and it's easier to say they are all blank because people get fussy over sentiments even though they like the outside! My stuff tends to have lots of layers but generally clean lines and a lot of people who place orders with me like a card to be personalised.
My Blog - Inspired to Stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Regarding DH card-inspectors and sentiments inside cards, my DH looks inside every card I show him. If he sees a sentiment, he knows he needs to sign the card. If there is no sentiment, he knows the card was done for a challenge, and that he can just grunt 'cute', and hand it back to me. The poor man looks so stressed if I tell him he needs to write something like "Happy Mother's Day" as well as sign his name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #55  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I have to say, Joan, that I have long suspected the results of most of your market research. At Hallmark, the inside sentiment is the most important thing. However, I hadn't thought about the size so much. One of my upline announced a year or so ago that she was never going to make an A2 sized card again. All of her projects are different now. Let's face it. The reason we use the A2 is that we can get 2 cards from a piece of cardstock.
I, too, love the Inside/Outside verses, and am always looking for good words.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Let's face it. The reason we use the A2 is that we can get 2 cards from a piece of cardstock.
I'm able to get three base layers (4.25x5.75) from a single sheet of 8.5x11 card stock, and use either white or vanilla for the base depending on the card colors. When making cards for sale, I purchase bulk quantities of 12x18 which gives me four 4.5x6 folded bases per sheet.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually make A2 sized cards now just because I can get 2 bases out of one sheet of letter size cardstock. However, I started off as a scrapbooker and started with making all my cards 4x6 because I could get 3 bases out of one 12x12 sheet and made my own envelopes. I read somewhere on here that Walmart somewhere in the states is not carrying the 4.25x5.5 envelopes anymore (invitation size) but are now carrying 4x6 for mailing photos. I usually will leave the card inside blank and handwrite my sentiment myself. However, people I have sold cards to have requested a sentiment inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #58  

WOW! Thank you! I just linked you up on my blog! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #59  
Gallery Gazer

Hello everyone - Kathy (Wattle) sent me this link as I sell my cards - and have found it all interesting!! I have found the same thing basically as Kathy, the only difference being that I tend to be more vintage, which does have a little bit or torn and distressing. I have been selling cards for a year now (having only stamped for 18 months) and as of Thursday have sold 753 cards, walked in the door after taking the last 33 and got an order for 20, possibly more, from another of the 3 shops I sell to. I do tend to try and make a lot of different styles, but I can't seem to escape my vintage feel - it just comes so naturally...but for me, it seems to be what is selling....mind you, I do look for the kind of shop that my cards would appeal to. I have a photo of one of them on my Blog - taken maybe a few weeks ago.....One shop sells a lot of humerous - Emersons are a HUGE hit!!

Kathy I am glad you clarified about the size as I was just asking DH what the sizes where...we had no idea...I make the same size as you. I guess, it is all subject to where we are, who we sell to and what we like to do. If the day comes that I am expected to make cards that do not appeal to me - I am out of here! I am still making cards because I love it and feel blessed that people want to buy my cards , can't believe it at times, but am thrilled.....same for us all really...it is all about the finished product!

I am interested to keep following as I am learning along the way - thank you for taking the time to investigate - it is such an unknown market out there and we are all finding our way!! happy seliing those who sell and may we all continue to be passionate about the making - I know this, I certainly have a lot more galleries to cruise now that I have seen all of you who have commented - I will be cruising your galleries over the next weeks - have a great day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WattleView Post
I found this totally fascinating! As an Aussie it is slightly different here as we don't do your A2 size cards - we don't have the envelopes for them (and it drives me crazy that the CB folders are small!!). All my cards are 6 x 4 inches and fit perfectly in our C6 sized envelopes. The embellishments are not so much an issue here because as long as it fits through the post slot (a popped image is not a problem) is doesn't matter how heavy it is....it's all the same price. I also sell 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch cards which are dearer, but people generally buy them for special occasions or a hand delivered because that size costs more to post.

I always leave mine blank - the packaging can't be opened and it's easier to say they are all blank because people get fussy over sentiments even though they like the outside! My stuff tends to have lots of layers but generally clean lines and a lot of people who place orders with me like a card to be personalised.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #60  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
GUFFAW! Or maybe you didn't mean it that way :oops:

Interestingly, I was just at Wally's cursing those new "too big" invitation size envelopes they were carrying now -- I guess I should have picked some up!

Thanks for the interesting info, Joan!

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #61  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

So, you did mean it that way! ;)

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #62  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
So, you did mean it that way! ;)
Why, yes, I did!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #63  
Watercolor Wizard

I've found the same to be true for almost everything you listed. The only one that's different for my customers is wanting something on the inside of cards. Most of my customers love that the inside is blank to write whatever they want. They'd want a simple sentiment at most on the inside. TFS! Very interesting!

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 03:37 AM   #64  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Interesting reading, Joan - thanks for sharing it.
I always used to put a piece of copy paper in the back of my poly-bags showing what was on the inside of a card, or saying *The inside is left blank for you to write your own message* because, yes, people always want to know. My sister said cards that had a sentiment on the outside always sold better - I find them harder to make. Except when I am following a sketch which has a space where you have to put a sentiment, LOL.
I'm not surprised that the *trendier* cards appeal less to the general paying public. It has to be a pretty amazing vintage or shabby-chic card to appeal to me.
I like making A2, and sell quite a few of them to people who are buying cards that I've already made - but if someone comissions a card I feel I have to move up to at least a 7x5.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #65  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I have seen them labeled as "invitation" envelopes on the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #66  
Mad Swapper

From an above post, I'd say it was 6x4.5. I'd like to make larger cards, but it just kills me not to get two card bases per piece of cardstock!! Maybe someone will start manufacturing quality cardstock in 9x12...
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #67  
Kookie Creator

Wow--great thread. I sell cards from my desk at work and while no one has commented on the size, everyone ALWAYS opens the card to see what's inside even thought they know I ALWAYS leave the inside blank. I guess I need to start putting something on the inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulottaView Post
From an above post, I'd say it was 6x4.5. I'd like to make larger cards, but it just kills me not to get two card bases per piece of cardstock!! Maybe someone will start manufacturing quality cardstock in 9x12...
If you have any paper distributors in your town, it's easy to get quality card stock in the bigger sizes! My friends and I purchase bulk packages of Mohawk Color Copy for our bases, and since the Ivory only came in very large sheets we split the cost of getting a sizeable quantity, paid the surcharge to have them cut it down to 9x12 (which could be cut into 4.5x6 bases in either direction with no waste) to minimize the possibility of trimming errors later, and in the end it worked out to about 5 cents per card base. When selling cards, making them with only white or vanilla bases is more cost-effective -- gotta keep your material costs as low as possible, after all! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post

Jutta
I stamp my sentiment on a post-it and adhere that to the back of the envelope, then put the entire thing (card & envie) into a clear envelope. Easy and quick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #70  
Rubber Obsessor

This thread couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'm starting to make cards to sell and have been trying to find packaging ideas for them. Knowing what appeals to most people is very helpful. Keep the ideas and information coming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

Back when I started selling paper items (I do graphic design as well and that constitutes a majority of my business) I sent out an anonymous survey to about 100 family members, business acquaintances, and friends asking a variety of style questions. I covered everything from "For which occasions do you purchase greeting cards, announcements, or invitations?" to "What size would you prefer for a greeting card (circle one - 4.25 x 5.5, 4.5 x 6.25, or 5 x 7)?" to "What do you feel is a fair price for a handmade greeting card or invitation?".

Along with the survey I included a SASE and a sheet of links or periodicals they could use as a reference (this was a few years ago and there weren't as many references online as there are today). I received about 75% of those surveys back and it really helped me develop my products. I certainly didn't follow every tip my replies suggested, but I was able to gain some valuable insight on what my customers would be looking for in their paper purchases.

Interestingly, I heard many of the same comments that Joan noted from her survey. The only significant differences I noticed were that my responders didn't mind the smaller greeting card (some of them said the unique size made the card feel more special) and most of them preferred the blank card (we are from an area thick with independent stationery shops and the blank card seems to be standard for most small stationery companies, so that may have had an impact).

I really appreciate Joan sharing her findings though. It's been awhile since I did my own survey and I was starting to wonder if I was still appealing to a broad audience. Thanks, Joan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #72  
Insane Embellisher

This is really a great survey...I really love the idea of asking people who don't stamp what they would buy...makes sense...since these are the people we are selling to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #73  
Insane Embellisher

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in the middle of making a box of cards for a friend when I read this thread. The sentiment issue made me think. So I printed the sentiment sheets, put covered tape tabs on the back and put them loose in the box so my friend can decide which sentiment to use, or to write on a plain sheet. I had already made 2 of the cards in the 4.25 X 4.25" size or I probably would have made those bigger cards!
Here's a link to the set:
Abundant Joy Cards by mycatbillybob at Splitcoaststampers
Abundant Joy Cards by mycatbillybob at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All of your thoughts are so interesting! Thanks for sharing your reactions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love the card inserts! I used to do this a long time ago, but my inserts were much smaller, actually like the size of those little gift tags for Christmas where you peel off the paper backing? Like address label sized. I love the hugeness of yours! I favorited them as a reminder...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

This thread has been so interesting. I found, when I sold lots of cards, that not many of my customers liked much in the way of stamping except for Christmas cards and all wanted decoupage (papertole) - so boring after a while!
I only do stamped cards now and use various shaped cards such as DL (long and thin), occasionally A6 but mainly square - 12 x 12 cm (4.5 x 4.5) or 13 x 13 cm.
I always put in an insert but usually leave it blank sentiment wise but stamp either small images in the corners or a faint image using the main stamp that I used on the front of the card.
Over here in the UK the trend amongst crafters seems to be for huge cards now using either an A4 folded in half to give A5 size but mostly even bigger - don't like cards that size at all and not sure how well they would sell.

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #77  
Mad Swapper

This is a very interesting thread, thank you OP! And all of you who are sharing your experiences with different card sizes. It's making me think a bit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHSView Post
What size are the A6 cards?
The envi is 6 1/2" x 4 3/4"...so the card is 6 1/4 x 4 1/2...approx.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #79  
Matboard Maniac

You have inspired me to make some odd sizes and add words to the insides.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampnsk8rView Post
The envi is 6 1/2" x 4 3/4"...so the card is 6 1/4 x 4 1/2...approx.
I use A6 envies, but make my cards 6 inches long to work better with available paper sizes and minimize waste. That little quarter-inch difference doesn't cause any problems with the card sliding around inside the envelope.

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes