Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #81  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just imagine if you were in Brazil...my in-laws are there and if I were to purchase something online and have it shipped directly to them, I'd have to pay 100% customs. My husband and I thought about purchasing an MP3 player for them and having it shipped directly to them. So, let's say the MP3 player cost $80...we'd have to pay an additional $80 in customs. I do feel for those of you who have to pay international shipping costs, though. I know my crafting $$ are carefully spent (most of the time) and that would be hard to not be able to order due to high shipping costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #82  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to admit I like the packaging. Not necessarily the CD's because I can buy those anywhere but the green band that is wrapped around the plastic case. I cut that to perfectly fit the front of CD and it looks so pretty. Now that there are the sticker labels I am not sure how that will work for me but I am sure I will think of something.

So what it comes down to for me is....I can't live w/o PTI! I am going to need to order no matter what. I am going to see if I can get my cousin in the US forward my order for me but if that end's up being too inconvenient for her I know I will just order directly anyway. I booked the cruise and the main reason was Papertrey. I am a fan through and through. While I can always hope that something will take place to change the new shipping policy I won't be giving up PTI if it doesn't. Maybe Nichole can bring my October order to the cruise ship for me! LOL!

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #83  
Crimping Master

Default It's not duty...

Ladies,
You aren't paying duty but rather tax plus a 5.95 fee. The goods are made in the USA so their is no duty but you do have pay GST and any provincial tax in your province on your orders.

In AB = 5% GST
In SK = 5% GST + 5% PST
We all get the processing fee by Canada Post.

My SCS Gallery
My Blog: Live Love Laugh and STAMP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 AM   #84  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
do yall not like the CD cases or the plastic box it's all in? I like cd cases. I mean I have tons anyhow, but I think it is real added value that they come in them, not everyone has a bunch of extra ones sitting around.

I'm sorry for international people dealing with this. I hope something works out for you all. :(
You can buy those CD cases for next to nothing at Walmart. I don't need to pay crazy shipping/customs for something that cheap. Yes, least packaging verses less money- I'll take it any day.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 06:16 AM   #85  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon13View Post
Ladies,
You aren't paying duty but rather tax plus a 5.95 fee. The goods are made in the USA so their is no duty but you do have pay GST and any provincial tax in your province on your orders.

In AB = 5% GST
In SK = 5% GST + 5% PST
We all get the processing fee by Canada Post.
I reallize that, but it's still extra money over and above the shipping. I actually don't have a problem with them needed to charge tax on the package, their $5.95 handling fee is rediculous!

My creative therapy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #86  
Pearl-ExPert

So ladies I just realized it's only 9 days till the next release!!! My excitement for that is outweighing my disappointment in the new shipping policy and I know I am ordering regardless (if I love the new stuff of course but I can't imagine I won't!). I am still considering the option of detouring it through a relative in the US. But what it comes down to for me is there is a special place in my heart and home for Papertrey---and there always will be!

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers

Last edited by Willow01; 03-06-2008 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #87  
Hardware Hotshot

I felt the same way and thought I'd go ahead and order this month, but I don't think I will now. It's just too much money that I could spend on product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #88  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow01View Post
So ladies I just realized it's only 9 days till the next release!!! My excitement for that is outweighing my disappointment in the new shipping policy and I know I am ordering regardless (if I love the new stuff of course but I can't imagine I won't!). I am still considering the option of detouring it through a relative in the US. But what it comes down to for me is there is a special place in my heart and home for Papertrey---and there always will be!
I'm glad someone's still excited. No me though, it's totally clouded my usual excitement for the new release.

My creative therapy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #89  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willow01View Post
Love it as you might, if you can't afford it, or justify the cost, than it doesn't matter how awesome it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #90  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy_haffnerView Post
Love it as you might, if you can't afford it, or justify the cost, than it doesn't matter how awesome it is.
But that's true even for those of us in the US who don't have to pay the international shipping. You always have to decide if a product is worth the total cost- and shipping is part of the total cost.

(And it works both ways- I had to order a knitting pattern from Canada, because I couldn't find anyone in the US who carries it and it cost over twelve dollars to ship a lightweight 20 page magazine type booklet) International shipping is expensive, any company who doesn't charge high shipping is eating the cost- and it's up to the company if it's worth the expense to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321View Post
But that's true even for those of us in the US who don't have to pay the international shipping. You always have to decide if a product is worth the total cost- and shipping is part of the total cost.

(And it works both ways- I had to order a knitting pattern from Canada, because I couldn't find anyone in the US who carries it and it cost over twelve dollars to ship a lightweight 20 page magazine type booklet) International shipping is expensive, any company who doesn't charge high shipping is eating the cost- and it's up to the company if it's worth the expense to do that.
Yes shipping can be very expensive, some of us Canadians just wish we could chose the cheaper shippping which is less than half the cost. I'm not worried about tracking, I've ordered tons of stuff over the years and nothing has ever been lost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #92  
Hardware Hotshot

Cindy is right. There is a cheaper option available and it worked fine for a year for most of us. We're upset about the sudden change. If it had never been an option from the start then it wouldn't be a big deal, although I don't know if I ever would have ordered.

$12 to ship around Canada is pretty much the norm. I'd be willing to pay that. It's when it gets up over $20 that I decide not to order from that company at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #93  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsrussView Post
Cindy is right. There is a cheaper option available and it worked fine for a year for most of us. We're upset about the sudden change. If it had never been an option from the start then it wouldn't be a big deal, although I don't know if I ever would have ordered.
But clearly it didn't work fine for Papertrey. If their packages didn't arrive for some people, or were damaged and no insurance was available then the replacements were costing the company money.

As nice as the people running PTI are- all businesses exist to make a profit. The cheaper option wasn't viable for their business model.

If enough people stop buying due to the newer shipping costs, then it's possible they'd reconsider. But if they are doing the same amount of business, or less business but having to replace fewer damaged/uninsured packages so that their profit stays the same, then it's clearly a good policy for their company.

I personally think their stamps are beautiful but too expensive to begin with. Clearly plenty of people are buying them at that price- so there is no reason to expect them to change because I don't like their price points. To me, it's the same thing. Vote with your wallet. If you don't like the policy, don't shop there. There are other places to get stamps. If you "have" to have PTI, then it's clearly "worth it" to pay the price they ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

But clearly it didn't work fine for Papertrey. If their packages didn't arrive for some people, or were damaged and no insurance was available then the replacements were costing the company money.

As nice as the people running PTI are- all businesses exist to make a profit. The cheaper option wasn't viable for their business model.

If enough people stop buying due to the newer shipping costs, then it's possible they'd reconsider. But if they are doing the same amount of business, or less business but having to replace fewer damaged/uninsured packages so that their profit stays the same, then it's clearly a good policy for their company.

I personally think their stamps are beautiful but too expensive to begin with. Clearly plenty of people are buying them at that price- so there is no reason to expect them to change because I don't like their price points. To me, it's the same thing. Vote with your wallet. If you don't like the policy, don't shop there. There are other places to get stamps. If you "have" to have PTI, then it's clearly "worth it" to pay the price they ask.
Yes there are two sides to every story, and business is business. I don't think there is a right or wrong here, they will have to see how it goes.

The postal service makes me so mad with their high shipping. Then when you get the parcel it takes forever, even insured I've waited over a month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
A couple of years ago I sent about $125 worth of cardstock to a girl in Canada. She chose not to insure it. It never got there and we still don't know where it ended up. I had marked the box to return it to me if it was undeliverable but it was never returned. I filed a claim but nothing ever came of it.
That is a big loss, what a shame. I find a small parcel and one valued under $50.00 seems to arrive sooner and most times you don't have to pay duty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #96  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

That's a whole lot of clearlys. ;)

You're right that they are a business and they are in it to make a profit. I think it's fair to say that shipping costs are not part of that profit, they end up at the shipping company. It is important to factor that shipping cost into the price of the product you want to order and decide then if it's worth it.

I think any change a company makes is going to upset some people that were used to the way things were. We are, as they say, creatures of habit and I think most people don't readily accept change to the way they're used to doing things.

In the scheme of things this is a small, small deal. I will indeed vote with my wallet (and have already started actually ) and hope that eventually things will go back to the way they were, or to a solution that works for more of us. However, if we were all to remain quiet and not say anything, then nothing would change at all. We need a few squeaky wheels. The squeaky wheels are why this changed to begin with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #97  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsrussView Post
That's a whole lot of clearlys. ;)
Clearly, it's my favorite word today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #98  
Hardware Hotshot

It's a good one. I like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #99  
Gabfest Goddess

To be fair to PTI - they want to establish themselves as the best of the best.....and the quality of the stamps is EXCELLENT. Their service *is* excellent. I don't doubt that. Nichole is OBVIOUSLY doing everything right - look at how successful she's been in the past year! That doesn't just "happen" - she's done everything right and MADE it happen. KUDOS to you Nichole!!

However......PTI, in my humble opinion, need to give Canadians options. I seriously do NOT mind waiting!!

All I know is that the last set I ordered showed (actual postage paid) shipping at $3.75. There is not even the slimmest chance in you-know-where that I'm paying an extra FIFTEEN DOLLARS for shipping. That was only one set......if there were 2 like I would normally order, I would have been nailed for a minimum of another $8-10 on duties.

It's extremely disappointing to me.

And I'm another Canadian who's very tired of seeing "free shipping" but ONLY in the USA......and it sure would be nice if PTI took the initiative to make some sort of incentive for their Canadian friends.....

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #100  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I have to ask this - Do Americans pay customs/duty when they buy out of country (Canada)?
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 06:01 PM   #101  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that I'm aware of...if there is, then it must be built into the shipping because I've never seen any sort of invoice for "customs/duty".

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. BenkoView Post
I have to ask this - Do Americans pay customs/duty when they buy out of country (Canada)?
Kathy

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #102  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. BenkoView Post
Kathy
No we don't pay any duty. Its a huge issue in the USA right now.

But then on the flip side my husband and I being self employed are paying aprox. $700 a month in prescriptions and another $500 for medical insurance and the first $5000 of medical expenses besides prescriptions.

I guess if you save it in one area you're going to pay it in another ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 04:33 AM   #103  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debra CherneyView Post
No we don't pay any duty. Its a huge issue in the USA right now.
It is?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 04:36 AM   #104  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debra CherneyView Post
No we don't pay any duty. Its a huge issue in the USA right now. But then on the flip side my husband and I being self employed are paying aprox. $700 a month in prescriptions and another $500 for medical insurance and the first $5000 of medical expenses besides prescriptions. I guess if you save it in one area you're going to pay it in another ?
Guess I don't get your point...I am in Canada and do pay duty, Hubby & I are also self employed and we have to pay cash outright for all prescriptions, as well as have to buy my own medical insurance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 AM   #105  
Die Cut Diva

So are you saying that buying 1 set at a time will save us from getting hit with duties and high shipping costs..?

I'm a little confused

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcbettyView Post
To be fair to PTI - they want to establish themselves as the best of the best.....and the quality of the stamps is EXCELLENT. Their service *is* excellent. I don't doubt that. Nichole is OBVIOUSLY doing everything right - look at how successful she's been in the past year! That doesn't just "happen" - she's done everything right and MADE it happen. KUDOS to you Nichole!!

However......PTI, in my humble opinion, need to give Canadians options. I seriously do NOT mind waiting!!

All I know is that the last set I ordered showed (actual postage paid) shipping at $3.75. There is not even the slimmest chance in you-know-where that I'm paying an extra FIFTEEN DOLLARS for shipping. That was only one set......if there were 2 like I would normally order, I would have been nailed for a minimum of another $8-10 on duties.

It's extremely disappointing to me.

And I'm another Canadian who's very tired of seeing "free shipping" but ONLY in the USA......and it sure would be nice if PTI took the initiative to make some sort of incentive for their Canadian friends.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #106  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2busyscrappinView Post
So are you saying that buying 1 set at a time will save us from getting hit with duties and high shipping costs..?

I'm a little confused
It's to do with the value of the package. They don't really seem to stop anything under $30. I know there's a set amount that they won't tax, but I can't remember offhand now what it is. Maybe it's $50.. Anyway, if you order one set it comes in under that dollar amount and won't get taxed. You will however still have to pay the high shipping costs. Before it would cost them about $3 to ship one set, now it's around $20.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #107  
Kookie Creator

Actually the value that sneaks by without having to pay taxes is $20. Nichole sent me a replacement stamp set value $24 and I had to pay $8 at the post office to get it ($3 in pst gst and $5 handling fee) Buying one set at a time can actually be more costly b/c you pay that $5 handling fee each time. At least if you buy several sets that cost is divided over more product.
Just my experience anyway.
Kristy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #108  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just placed another other with The Stampin' Place located in Big Lake, Minnesota. While I was on the website, I checked out their international shipping policy. Now, I don't pretend to understand all the ins and outs of shipping, but the charges didn't look too bad to me.

From now until 3/13 they are having a 25% off storewide sale. I have always been very pleased with my orders from this retailer, so you might want to look at their website - www.stampin.com. The best thing is that you can order stamps mounted or unmounted - YEAH!!!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #109  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry11View Post
Actually the value that sneaks by without having to pay taxes is $20. Nichole sent me a replacement stamp set value $24 and I had to pay $8 at the post office to get it ($3 in pst gst and $5 handling fee) Buying one set at a time can actually be more costly b/c you pay that $5 handling fee each time. At least if you buy several sets that cost is divided over more product.
Just my experience anyway.
Kristy
Wow! I guess I've gotten off lucky. I didn't realize it was so little. Who can buy just $20 of anything?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #110  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3000View Post
I just placed another other with The Stampin' Place located in Big Lake, Minnesota. While I was on the website, I checked out their international shipping policy. Now, I don't pretend to understand all the ins and outs of shipping, but the charges didn't look too bad to me.

From now until 3/13 they are having a 25% off storewide sale. I have always been very pleased with my orders from this retailer, so you might want to look at their website - www.stampin.com. The best thing is that you can order stamps mounted or unmounted - YEAH!!!

Karen
They do have very reasonable shipping rates! I also noticed this:

ATTENTION: Canadian Orders:

Shipping rates shown are estimates only for first class mail without insurance.

• You will be sent shipping options via e-mail.
• Options will include USPS First Class Mail (no insurance)
OR USPS Priority Mail (with insurance) to choose from.
• If you choose an option without insurance, and your package
does not arrive, we will not be responsible for replacement.

You must respond with your choice of shipping option, or your order will not be shipped.

I like that they offer the choice and it's good that they have the disclaimer. They also offer shipping discounts if you order over $100 worth of product. I think I'll spend some more time looking around here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #111  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I've heard a lot of people talk about PTI - but as an Australian the shipping is just WAY to expensive! For less than 1lb it's $24.20!!! I have bought other things in the USA (not 12 x 12 size) that fit into an International Flat Rate Envelope (up to 4lbs) which is only $11!! If you did want to go crazy (once again not 12 x 12 stuff), 20lbs with PTI is $89.70 - International Flat Rate Box is on $37!!! There is just no way I could justify their shipping costs to Australia. :(

ps. International Flat Rate is Priority Mail and comes with tracking.
My Blog - Inspired to Stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #112  
Rubber Obsessor

I write from Finland and I have never had a problem with PTI orders. They arrive in 10 to 15 days. I order till the limit that is allowed to import tax free. Now, the shipping charges have doubled and I cannot afford it. Also, if I order with the new shipping charges I will have to pay 22% Custom charge (this is the tax % we pay in Finland and 3.5% custom handling fee). I will have to send my order to California and my friends will have to re-pack it and send it in a flat rate envelope. This is the cheapest option at the moment, however I don't like this solution, I want to be more indipendent. I order almost everything I need for my cardmaking needs from the US, never had a problem, and the shipping charges are not so bad (if you don't buy paper, cardstock or bulky items of course). Now, I can understand that PTI had problems with some orders, but how come that other companies don't charge so much to ship internationally???????????? PTI has lovely and GOOD QUALITY products, great customer service, but the decision about the shipping charges upset me a lot. I am sure that many of you will understand... I really hope that they will reconsider their shipping rates, I ordered their products almost every month, now I feel I can only look and the fun and excitement for the montly release is not the same... I feel bad because I LOVE to use their products.

Last edited by Emilia; 03-07-2008 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 03:54 AM   #113  
Polyshrink Goddess

It actually works the other way, too. I ordered some Maya Road tins from a store in Canada early in the winter, and was thrilled to find them. I don't remember what they were called, but evidently I started looking for them after they were no longer being made, so most places were out of them. A couple of days placing an order for 10 tins, and paying for them via debit card, I got an e-mail that my money was being refunded as they don't ship across the border because the of the cost and the customs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 AM   #114  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaceandJoyView Post
It actually works the other way, too. I ordered some Maya Road tins from a store in Canada early in the winter, and was thrilled to find them. I don't remember what they were called, but evidently I started looking for them after they were no longer being made, so most places were out of them. A couple of days placing an order for 10 tins, and paying for them via debit card, I got an e-mail that my money was being refunded as they don't ship across the border because the of the cost and the customs.
I thought the US gals said you didn't pay customs?? That is too bad about your tins hopefully you have found something similar.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #115  
Crimping Master

I just put a Flourishes order in and the shipping flat rate was $8.00, and it is their flat rate. Gina K's flat rate is $5.95 with a $35.00 order - no matter what the weight is....Come on Papertrey there has to be some change in your postage rate - everyone else can have a decent rate.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes