Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #121  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbinsView Post
Well, maybe SU will figure it out when they notice their sales/profits dropping. I know I won't be buying anything from the new catty. Maybe we are all bashing on SU because they need it. I do wish they would offer unmounted rubber stamp at a lower cost for those who would rather buy it that way..... In my opinion, the comany should listen to it's customers desires without customers there is no company! JMO.
From what I read about convention, their sales are not dropping. Mine aren't. I won't be buying anything from the TAC catty either but I don't expect them to figure out that I like wood. (Ok, maybe I'm going to get that cute little penguin tag cause he's worth buying a wood block for :-D )

Why do they need bashing? Because they won't change the way they do business for part of their customer base. I have *never* had a customer ask me about clear or um rubber.

I would like TAC to offer wood blocks and double sided sticky foam for those of us that prefer that. They don't. So if I get a tac set that I will be using a lot I have to go through the trouble and additional expense of ordering blocks and that foam.

I would like CTMH to offer some rubber stamps because I don't get as clear of an image with them as I do rubber.

They won't, because it's not their *thing* and that's ok. I make it work. If I sent it a suggestion that I would like them to carry, more ribbon or something, then they would probably consider it because I am not asking them to change a basic part of their business.

You can always ask. I know Amuse started carrying some clear stamps. I have zero problem with people suggesting, etc. My problem is that it sometimes seems like it's expected that SU do it. And that they are a bunch of uncaring idiots if they won't. What makes SU any different from the other companies and why does nobody expect them to offer all these options? I'm still not getting it?

As for the copyright. Do you think you should be able to buy a book from the bookstore, copy it and then sell it in a coffee shop? Because it's the same thing.

Hero Arts does not allow you to sell ANYTHING made with it's stamps anywhere. I don't think Inkadinkadoo does either. I have it written down in my craft room because I took the time to email all those companies and ask. In addition to SU I do invites and announcements so I wanted to know. Bella and Amuse and many others limit how many items you can make and sell with a certain stamp. So there are some companies that are far more restrictive than SU. Why no mention of that? Doesn't that bother anyone?

These companies own the image. If they tell me I can't use it to make someting to sell or I can only sell a certain number of them. Well, it's their image. It's like with the ipod thing. Does it bother me that my husband bought the song from iTunes and now he can't burn it to a CD for me to listen to in my car? A little but, you know, it is what it is.

yes, I am the one person left without an iPod LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #122  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Maybe we are all bashing on SU because they need it. I do wish they would offer unmounted rubber stamp at a lower cost for those who would rather buy it that way.....
Does a company really need bashing whenever they do not offer the products we wish they carried?

If so, I have been doing a real disservice to CTMH, TAC, and a bunch of other stamping companies all this time by not bashing them even though they do not offer the products I want, like coordinating inks, card stock, brads, ribbons, markers, designer papers, etc. and wood mounted rubber stamps. I would hate to think these companies have suffered merely due to the fact that I haven't taken the time to bash them here.

I apologize if this sounds snarky, but I hardly think any company out there needs bashing unless they're engaging in shady business policies or selling products that cause injuries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #123  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappincatView Post
myhappyplace = really smart lady
Ditto!

The one constant through all the years...has been baseball.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #124  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Well, maybe SU will figure it out when they notice their sales/profits dropping. I know I won't be buying anything from the new catty. Maybe we are all bashing on SU because they need it. I do wish they would offer unmounted rubber stamp at a lower cost for those who would rather buy it that way..... In my opinion, the comany should listen to it's customers desires without customers there is no company! JMO.
my sales are doing great....even more so with the new catty...there are many customers out there that prefer wood mounted stamps...I would dare say the thousands upon thousands of SU demos prefer wood mounted stamps or else they wouldn't be demos for a wood mounted stamp company.

Just a simple question - why do people assume that the price for Unmounted stamps would be that much cheaper then a set that includes wood mounts...wood is an inexpensive, renewable source - I would be willing to bet that the cost of wood blocks is a very small % of the cost of the overall Stampin Up stamp set...so the cost difference between a set with wood blocks vs one without...might only be $2-3. Stamping is an expensive hobby if $2-3 is going to break you then you might want to look into a new hobby.

Plenty of smaller businesses can offer both because the overhead is low - and when you see a difference of almost half the cost between thier UM and Mounted versions it probably is because they have to pay more for thier wood mounts because they don't buy them in a huge volume...the old adage of the more you buy the cheaper it is...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #125  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I think most companies, including SU!, are interested in having happy customers, because happy customers = strong profits.

As a general rule, I think most are receptive to helpful, constructive communications, as opposed to "bashing"? ;) The most effective way to get a company to incorporate changes you would like to see, is to contact them directly regarding your concerns, and list possible solutions for resolving those concerns.

Of some fascination to me, discussions with marketing professionals within the industry have been very interesting and enlightening--some have concluded that because this industry is such a niche market, the companies that will not only survive, but thrive, will be the ones that find their particular niche, and stick closely to it, rather than trying to be all things to all consumers.

Whatever direction SU! takes, I'm just thrilled that I, as a consumer, have the freedom to purchase what I like, in the format I like, from whatever company produces it! There are so many great images made by so many fabulous companies--I'm so glad they are all out there for me to pick and choose from! :mrgreen:

"Rubbah slut", I think someone described themselves earlier on in this thread? *snort* Yeah. That's me, too. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #126  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

"Rubbah slut", I think someone described themselves earlier on in this thread? *snort* Yeah. That's me, too.
Julie - that was me, but the term is "stamping slut." Because it encompasses rubbah, acrylic, paper, embellishments, coloring media, tools - and who-knows-what-all-else that I haven't even seen yet but will NEED the minute I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #127  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Julie - that was me, but the term is "stamping slut." Because it encompasses rubbah, acrylic, paper, embellishments, coloring media, tools - and who-knows-what-all-else that I haven't even seen yet but will NEED the minute I do.
Aaaaaah. I stand corrected. My apologies.

I hope my error did not dis-qualify me for the "stamping slut" club! My documents and papers are all in order--I swear! I am bonafide and genuine! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #128  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Aaaaaah. I stand corrected. My apologies.

I hope my error did not dis-qualify me for the "stamping slut" club! My documents and papers are all in order--I swear! I am bonafide and genuine! ;)

Somehow, I don't think there's ANYTHING that would dis-qualify YOU from the stamping slut club!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #129  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

But there are many of us customers who want the wood blocks to permantly mount our stamps. They are listening to us. We are with SU because we like the product they offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #130  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappincatView Post
Somehow, I don't think there's ANYTHING that would dis-qualify YOU from the stamping slut club!!
Yikes, did I just say that word???

Someone please cover my poor mothers eyes. She browses this site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #131  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

LOL yep, stamp slut is it. Can't rule out clear stamps. And I've seen a cute foam stamp a few times.

Of course, craft slut might be even better. I do own modge podge and glass etching cream plus tons of stuff to alter...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #132  
Chat Box Chick

You ladies are killin' me! LOL! too funny!

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #133  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post
LOL yep, stamp slut is it. Can't rule out clear stamps. And I've seen a cute foam stamp a few times.

Of course, craft slut might be even better. I do own modge podge and glass etching cream plus tons of stuff to alter...
Funny...the term I've heard used is "Rubbah Ho". But it could be a regional variant of the "Stamp Slut" used in other parts of the country....:mrgreen:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #134  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post
yes, I am the one person left without an iPod LOL
No you aren't - I still take my bulky CD player to the gym with me to workout (and that is only b/c my collection of mix tapes containing good "treadmill music" are buried in the garage).

And yes, I do still have a working 8-track player as well.

Just in case that was keeping you all up at night... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #135  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Math ChickView Post
No you aren't - I still take my bulky CD player to the gym with me to workout (and that is only b/c my collection of mix tapes containing good "treadmill music" are buried in the garage).

And yes, I do still have a working 8-track player as well.

Just in case that was keeping you all up at night... ;)
I WISH I had a a working 8 track player! I remember playing barbies in our rec room, listening to my dads 8 track tapes.............I knew EVERY word to The Red Baron, and Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.

;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #136  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I think most companies, including SU!, are interested in having happy customers, because happy customers = strong profits.

As a general rule, I think most are receptive to helpful, constructive communications, as opposed to "bashing"? ;) The most effective way to get a company to incorporate changes you would like to see, is to contact them directly regarding your concerns, and list possible solutions for resolving those concerns.

Of some fascination to me, discussions with marketing professionals within the industry have been very interesting and enlightening--some have concluded that because this industry is such a niche market, the companies that will not only survive, but thrive, will be the ones that find their particular niche, and stick closely to it, rather than trying to be all things to all consumers.

Whatever direction SU! takes, I'm just thrilled that I, as a consumer, have the freedom to purchase what I like, in the format I like, from whatever company produces it! There are so many great images made by so many fabulous companies--I'm so glad they are all out there for me to pick and choose from! :mrgreen:

"Rubbah slut", I think someone described themselves earlier on in this thread? *snort* Yeah. That's me, too. ;)
I agree! - If I like wood mounted I go with SU. If I like acrylix I go with ____ If I like stickers I got with _____. If I like to go skydiving I go with____. Seriously I'm not going to go to Longhorne Steakhouse and ask why their selection of Seafood sucks... It's a steakhouse! SU sells wood-mounted stamps. And if I wasn't happy with the company I'd go with another. Or dabble in the different companies to suit all of my needs. Variety is the spice of life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #137  
Matboard Maniac

Default bashing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
Does a company really need bashing whenever they do not offer the products we wish they carried?

If so, I have been doing a real disservice to CTMH, TAC, and a bunch of other stamping companies all this time by not bashing them even though they do not offer the products I want, like coordinating inks, card stock, brads, ribbons, markers, designer papers, etc. and wood mounted rubber stamps. I would hate to think these companies have suffered merely due to the fact that I haven't taken the time to bash them here.

I apologize if this sounds snarky, but I hardly think any company out there needs bashing unless they're engaging in shady business policies or selling products that cause injuries.

I am sorry that some of you thought I was bashing SU. I didn't mean it to sound that way, however, I was just expressing my individual thoughts as to why I, and most of the people I have been talking with are unhappy with SU's new catty. As a consumer I am entitled to my thoughts. Doesn't mean that I won't continue to buy from Stampin Up if there is something I am interested in. I buy from several companies. thank goodness there are options. Owning my own business, I understand that if a consumer doesn't like what we offer they can go elsewhere. I didn't mean this to be a fighting match.... geez I won't be contributing to any more post if people are so touchy .... anyway have a good day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #138  
Watercolor Wizard

Debbie, I for one, (along with many others I'm sure), do not think you're bashing SU! I think Joans letter is very well said, and echo's what may of us have been feeling lately. It's just the result of the thread, that has brought on some 'bashing' ................of sorts.

I guess the way I look at is it this:

People like different things.

I'm glad that there are enough stamping companies around that everyone can have an ample opportunity to purchase what they like.

SU! may not be what one person likes, but for every person that doesn't like wood mounted stamps, there is at least one more that won't use anything BUT wood mounted stamps. (just one example of what makes SU! different)

It's not that SU! isn't listening to their customers. It's that there are enough people that still LOVE wood mounted stamps, and enough people that still love THEIR product, (whether it be the stamps, or the color coordination, or what-have-you), that they don't need to change. They have a customer base that wants enough of the things they have to offer that keeps them going.

Please know even us die-hard SU! fans, can see some area's for improvement. And not all of us think you, (or Joan), were out to bash SU!. There's room for improvement in each and every one of us. I'm no exception.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 12:29 PM   #139  
Matboard Maniac

This is true, but to further your tile example, if I hired someone to tile my bathroom, and s/he just didn't do kitchen tiling, I would probably suggest that s/he also consider doing kitchen work. If I was a good customer, and the tile layer didn't want to do both kids of floors, I would seriously consider finding another tile layer the next time, so that all my tiling needs could be met.

I think earlier in this thread someone suggested that expecting demos to be able to know how to use wood-mounted stamps and how to use stamps temporarily mounted on acrylic blocks was too much. Perhaps that poster has not used rubber stamps cling mounted to acrylic blocks, I would be surprised if she had tried it and still found thought that was too much to expect of an SU demo. This seems especially true given all the other discussion earlier in this thread about the great skill of the vast majority of SU demos.

I don't know your position on this argument, but if one thinks that SU should continue to offer the kinds of supplies that are easily found elsewhere for most people, then it seems to me like offering stamps as mounted or rubber only is a reasonable expectation. I�m not going to write to SU, because I just don�t care that much, but I am very comfortable writing to other businesses where I spend my hard earned money when I think that they could to a better job of meeting my needs. And I don�t have a problem changing my buying habits if that business chooses not to change.

Quote:

This isn't meant to be a mounted vs. un- post, it's just my pondering on why we might think something should be a no-brainer for a company but isn't really. Any company has to decide what market they're going to serve and then work out how best to serve that market. If you are in business as a tile layer, and you're a darn good one, you don't start doing plumbing just because some of the people you've worked for would like it if they only had to call one company when they want to remodel their bathroom. As a tile layer, you don't have the knowledge, skills (or license!) to do plumbing - and if you had wanted to be a plumber, you'd have gone into that line of work to begin with! But as a tile layer, you also understand that people who need or desire plumbing will be going somewhere else to have that done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #140  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SU letter

I am pretty much happy with SU.

I wish there were an option for acrylic or wood mounts.

I also wish that you could buy a set at a certain price let's say for $30 and that would pay for 6 stamps you could choose what stamps you want in it. How often do you buy a set and only use 1 or 2 stamps in it. This would certainly be a selling feature. No one in the stamping world does that. This is an idea that would need an expert business person to explore but I think it is doable.

I probably would buy more ribbon if you had all the colors available.

Why not stampin spots in the in colors? I notice in a couple of the new card kits the stampin spots are included and they are in colors. Come on make them available in a set. Also a set of watercolor crayons in the in colors would be good as well.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 12:46 PM   #141  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I am sorry that some of you thought I was bashing SU. I didn't mean it to sound that way, however, I was just expressing my individual thoughts as to why I, and most of the people I have been talking with are unhappy with SU's new catty. As a consumer I am entitled to my thoughts. Doesn't mean that I won't continue to buy from Stampin Up if there is something I am interested in. I buy from several companies. thank goodness there are options. Owning my own business, I understand that if a consumer doesn't like what we offer they can go elsewhere. I didn't mean this to be a fighting match.... geez I won't be contributing to any more post if people are so touchy .... anyway have a good day.
Debbie,

I was specifically responding to your post in which you said "Maybe we are all bashing on SU because they need it." I guess when someone actually says that they are bashing SU, I take them at their word. I apologize if I misunderstood your intent, but I was merely responding to your choice of words. And I certainly did not intend for my post to be part of a fighting match -- I was merely pointing out that IMO there are very limited circumstances under whch one should bash any company publicly. Again, I apologize if my meaning did not come across the way it was intended.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #142  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

[quote=Marshaspeck50;6938521]I am pretty much happy with SU.

I wish there were an option for acrylic or wood mounts.

I also wish that you could buy a set at a certain price let's say for $30 and that would pay for 6 stamps you could choose what stamps you want in it. How often do you buy a set and only use 1 or 2 stamps in it. This would certainly be a selling feature. No one in the stamping world does that. This is an idea that would need an expert business person to explore but I think it is doable.

I probably would buy more ribbon if you had all the colors available.

Why not stampin spots in the in colors? I notice in a couple of the new card kits the stampin spots are included and they are in colors. Come on make them available in a set. Also a set of watercolor crayons in the in colors would be good as well.[
/quote]Make sure you email them your wishes/wants/questions/requests.....They need to hear this. :-D

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #143  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy453View Post
You are probably right but demos represent SU and it is from the type of service we get from them that many of us base our thoughts about the company (as in any product).
I've lived in two different areas of my state and in both cases delivery was horrible...in one case, it was well over 6 weeks...I would call and she always had an excuse. Very frustrating for me as a customer.
daisy
Daisy, it's interesting b/c I have many current customers who left their demonstrator in search of a "good" one who would order quickly, tell them things, etc... just like I sense from your frustration. I am somewhat speechless when a customer tells me that because treating a customer that way seems so polar-opposite of the way anyone should treat their only buyers. Trust me, what you've experienced is not unique but it's not the ony sort of demo out there. I've been around as a demo for 5 years and my customers constantly compliment me on my ridiculously fast response to an order or a question or when I share SU news, a promotion, a new technique. Same-day 99% of the time. I invite you to shop around if your demo is not doing right by you. I sincerely hope my customers are loyal to me but if I'm not doing my job then they also have every right to find a demonstrator who does. So do you!

Good luck!

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #144  
Pearl-ExPert

Unlike other internet stamping supply companies, SU price structure includes the cost of paying for demo commissions, incentives, rewards, etc. That is the premium of buying SU products - they come with a personal assistant. After a few years, when a stamper is experienced and no longer needs that attention from a demo, then the added cost for that included in the products is less appealing. I see that as why more long time stampers start to branch out and look for other alternatives. So, SU niche market is geared for new and beginning stampers it would seem. I guess my concern is that after so much saturation of the market, then the influx of new people slows down. At that point, SU might consider appealing to maintain long term customers. That's not in their interests right now, so I don't see them changing the market focus. But, it does help to explain the growing pains that some of us long time stampers feel. We see other alternatives and are not afraid to branch out, but then that causes awareness of paying extra for something we have outgrown (the demo). We still like the colors, the images, but we don't want the extra cost of how to use them, because we already know how.

I didn't see any bashing of SU when this or many of the other threads along these lines over the last year or so first started. I see these threads becoming heated and argumentative when many of the same demos come in and start whining and complaining about the whining and complaining. I wish those demos would just understand that some people like to vent or kvetch or just say, "gee, I wish it was this way". I don't see that as bashing SU.

I don't understand why some demos get so hot under the collar about these discussions. After all, I think most people on SCS generally like SU stamp images or other products. Frankly, I think some demo comments here are very off putting, akin to the playground bully coming over and saying, "I don't like what you guys are doing here, so scram." SCS is big enough for everyone to have various conversations. I don't care for Bellas, but I don't go into their thread and say, "all this Bella talk is taking the focus away from how great SU is, so stop talking about it."

If you disagree, state your opinion, but please don't come here and tell those of us dreaming of different ideas that it is "bashing". Those that do come off looking like the bashers.

Okay, so in my perfect little world, SU would charge actual shipping costs the way other companies do. Sure the 10% is a quick estimate for the demo and customer, but when I see party orders for say $700 being charged $70 in shipping (plus tax in my area), I feel that is a ripoff, especially since so many companies would gladly offer free shipping with that kind of order. Do I expect SU to do this? NO! But it's nice to come here and kvetch and see that some people agree with me and then I feel better and go ahead and buy my SU stuff anyway.

Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #145  
Pearl-ExPert

Oooh, I wish they would offer the In Colors in a spot set as well. Just dreaming.....

I don't think they will even if I write to them though.

Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #146  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikimomView Post
Oooh, I wish they would offer the In Colors in a spot set as well. Just dreaming...

Kathy
I think we'd all LOVE that option. Maybe if enough of us write???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #147  
Crimping Master

SU is what it is. It's a great company with great products. Maybe not all of the products appeal to you, that's why it's great that there are many other companies to choose from. It's also a company that was designed to be be sold through demonstrators. When posts are made about how SU should just do away with demos for reasons like they crafting community has "outgrown" them, you can naturally expect some demos to feel a little hot under the collar. What do you expect? Many demos work extremely hard at their businesses, trying to promote the art of stamping and convince people that stamping isn't something little old ladies do (a common misconception). Not everyone is interested in stamping, and if it weren't for a workshop I attended, I'd probably be sitting here today without a single stamp in my scrapbook supplies! So give the demos who are defending the company they love and work hard for a break.

A company can't be all things to all people. With that being said, I do agree with many of the things Joan said.

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #148  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph315View Post
SU is what it is. It's a great company with great products. Maybe not all of the products appeal to you, that's why it's great that there are many other companies to choose from. It's also a company that was designed to be be sold through demonstrators. When posts are made about how SU should just do away with demos for reasons like they crafting community has "outgrown" them, you can naturally expect some demos to feel a little hot under the collar. What do you expect? Many demos work extremely hard at their businesses, trying to promote the art of stamping and convince people that stamping isn't something little old ladies do (a common misconception). Not everyone is interested in stamping, and if it weren't for a workshop I attended, I'd probably be sitting here today without a single stamp in my scrapbook supplies! So give the demos who are defending the company they love and work hard for a break.

A company can't be all things to all people. With that being said, I do agree with many of the things Joan said.

I've been reading these thread pretty closely -- I don't recall ever hearing anyone saying they don't want demos or to do away with them!! Now that would be just jumping into a tiger cage wouldn't it?? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #149  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggView Post
I've been reading these thread pretty closely -- I don't recall ever hearing anyone saying they don't want demos or to do away with them!! Now that would be just jumping into a tiger cage wouldn't it?? ;)
Read post #144. Maybe I read that differently, but that was the impression I got.

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #150  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikimomView Post
Unlike other internet stamping supply companies, SU price structure includes the cost of paying for demo commissions, incentives, rewards, etc. That is the premium of buying SU products - they come with a personal assistant. After a few years, when a stamper is experienced and no longer needs that attention from a demo, then the added cost for that included in the products is less appealing. I see that as why more long time stampers start to branch out and look for other alternatives. So, SU niche market is geared for new and beginning stampers it would seem. I guess my concern is that after so much saturation of the market, then the influx of new people slows down. At that point, SU might consider appealing to maintain long term customers. That's not in their interests right now, so I don't see them changing the market focus. But, it does help to explain the growing pains that some of us long time stampers feel. We see other alternatives and are not afraid to branch out, but then that causes awareness of paying extra for something we have outgrown (the demo). We still like the colors, the images, but we don't want the extra cost of how to use them, because we already know how.

I didn't see any bashing of SU when this or many of the other threads along these lines over the last year or so first started. I see these threads becoming heated and argumentative when many of the same demos come in and start whining and complaining about the whining and complaining. I wish those demos would just understand that some people like to vent or kvetch or just say, "gee, I wish it was this way". I don't see that as bashing SU.

I don't understand why some demos get so hot under the collar about these discussions. After all, I think most people on SCS generally like SU stamp images or other products. Frankly, I think some demo comments here are very off putting, akin to the playground bully coming over and saying, "I don't like what you guys are doing here, so scram." SCS is big enough for everyone to have various conversations. I don't care for Bellas, but I don't go into their thread and say, "all this Bella talk is taking the focus away from how great SU is, so stop talking about it."

If you disagree, state your opinion, but please don't come here and tell those of us dreaming of different ideas that it is "bashing". Those that do come off looking like the bashers.

Okay, so in my perfect little world, SU would charge actual shipping costs the way other companies do. Sure the 10% is a quick estimate for the demo and customer, but when I see party orders for say $700 being charged $70 in shipping (plus tax in my area), I feel that is a ripoff, especially since so many companies would gladly offer free shipping with that kind of order. Do I expect SU to do this? NO! But it's nice to come here and kvetch and see that some people agree with me and then I feel better and go ahead and buy my SU stuff anyway.

Kathy
*standing ovation for K2* :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #151  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Read post #144. Maybe I read that differently, but that was the impression I got.
Steph-Yes I figured that's what you were referring to. I read that completely differently. I *think* what ikimom is saying is that she, because she is a long time stamper, feels like she has outgrown a need for a demo. I can see how sometimes a student could surpass the teacher......... maybe due to innate skill or practice, etc.

I don't think she is saying or implying that there is no need for demos and SU should do away with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #152  
Cardstock Collector

From the point of view of a person who has worked in the top levels of a retail company, I do know that a good company does not want to have a single unhappy customer. Do you believe that SU cares about the unhappy customers or prefers to ignore when droves are unhappy with a product like the stamp pad design? Do you believe they are listening and want to make sure that they can truly meet all your stamping needs? Do you think they are anticipating what their customers want and try to stay ahead of that?

From reading here and other stamp boards and blogs today, it appears there are hundreds and thousands of unhappy customers. Does this matter? Is one unhappy customer one too many? We can only watch what we see happening to answer that question. I think there is a good reason that other companies rarely get a negative word. For every vocal customer who is unhappy, they represent a thousand more. Look how many are vocal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #153  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

No, I didn't suggest SU get rid of demos, that's how I got hooked! LOL I'm grateful that I was exposed to this craft through the SU process because I don't think I would have started on my own or through a local store's classes. It's a fun craft when you share with friends and that's why the party/workshops are a great marketing tool. Please read my comment again, I was trying to explain why some long time stampers feel differently about paying the premium of SU products because the cost includes the demo costs. They no longer need that added service, and they have discovered other companies, so they then make comparisons. It is similar to the cost for taking a stamp class at a local store, it is an investment in knowing what to buy and how to use the things you buy. After awhile though, you no longer need the classes and then can just spend your money on the goodies. Alas, many of us still love the SU goodies, and so we decide to either accept the added cost that is included with the product or go elsewhere to buy products that don't include that. I pointed it out to explain to other people who may not understand the reasoning why some people are growing away from SU or would like to see changes.

I could say the same for TAC products other than their stamps (which are rubber with cushions, but no wood blocks). Looking in their catalog, the inks are widely available name brands that can be bought for less in stamp stores or online. But, again, TAC offers a demo to show how to use them and so that cost is built into their product line as well.

SU, or perhaps another demo said that their niche base is beginning stampers. Everything is fine with that as long as they have a continuously renewing customer base. I've read that in some areas, demos are frustrated because their area has too many demos and not enough customers. Obviously, there must be other areas that still have lots of growth opportunities.

Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #154  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy453View Post
And, like others have mentioned, I don't like the 10+ day wait for an order to come in and then longer for it to get to me from SU demo when other sources will ship same day or within 24 hours.
daisy
With the exception of the end of SAB and the first week of a new catalog, I have never (in 2 years) had anything I ordered from SU not ship promptly. Most of the time it ships the next day, sometimes it even ships the same day. Do I wish that UPS was faster? You bet, but Fed X ground isn't any faster to me from UT, so I'm guessing that shipping time is what it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #155  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

So give the demos who are defending the company they love and work hard for a break.

Hey, in my opinion, SU does not need defending. They are a high quality company and as I said above the demos deserve the money and rewards they work for. Since the gallery is chockful of SU products, there are lots of people who love the stuff, me included.
Quote:

Originally Posted by schoolmusical
From reading here and other stamp boards and blogs today, it appears there are hundreds and thousands of unhappy customers.
Hmm, I didn't know about other discussions going on. What are the other stamp boards?

Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #156  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:

Are these shopping cart functions fully automated with these other companies? Or, does the demonstrator still have to process the order manually with the company?
I know CTMH's is. Having a CTMH Website is an option, just like it is with SU and having one with shopping capabilities is an add on. And if you do, you also have to use the vendor they selected to process credit cards and that is the only payment option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #157  
Die Cut Diva

[
Why do they need bashing? Because they won't change the way they do business for part of their customer base. I have *never* had a customer ask me about clear or um rubber.
[/quote]

Good point. I have been an active SU demo for 6 years and I have never had anyone ask for clear or unmounted stamps either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #158  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: I don't stamp, I just talk about stamping on the internet!

Just a thought for those who really wish you could do online ordering of SU! products directly -
*I* already do! All of the time! And I can place orders 24/7 and pay with my credit card or debit card.
How???
I am an SU! demo! I find it really convenient.

BUT, even if all of my customers don't want to become demos, I surely hope they wouldn't find sending me an email to place an order TOO taxing and frustrating. I would hope that having a full-color catalog in front of them to reference would make it lots easier than I find it to order from Joann.com, for example, where I keep having to look through pages and pages of online products to find things I am interested in. Maybe it's not the same thrill as having a little shopping cart and clicking to add things into it, but it's a similar process, IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #159  
Cardstock Collector

Misermom, you are one in a million. I don't know of any other demo who does this and I have been buying SU for 14 years now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #160  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do!!

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes