Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok - I don't mean to imply that cards are "stupid", but in my opinion they are trivial. Yes, yes..... they are fun to make......they will certainly bring a smile to someone.......and did I mention they are fun to make? But oh my God - do I seriously need 110 sets of stamps, 33 stamp pads, cuttlebugs, die cuts, embossing powder, glitter, copic markers, brayers, heat guns, light boxes, crop-o-diles, vellum, ribbon, packs and packs and packs of card stock, patterned paper, stamp o ma jigs, bone folders, tape guns, brads, eyelets, odorless mineral spirits, colored pencils, watercolors, embossing folders, embossing pens, chalks, stencils, perfect pearls, pearl ex, decorative scissors, paper punches, rotary cutters, personal cutters, chipboard, grunge board, and a never ending assortment of embellishments ( as in flower soft, prima flowers and cute buttons)........ ???? ....... the list goes on. Do I really need all of this to make a Birthday card for someone and say I love you?

For crying out loud - it's a piece of paper that has an image that's been stamped on it. I can't even boast that I was artistic enough to draw the image. I had to stamp it!!! And to my way of thinking, there is utterly NO TALENT involved in stamping. Skill - yes! Talent? No. There is talent in composing music, there is skill in performing the music. There is talent in painting a beautiful picture - there is skill in reproducing it. There is talent in designing a lovely pattern - there is skill in sewing it to perfection. There is talent in writing an unforgettable play - there is skill in acting it out. hmmmmmmm well, now that I think about it ...... I guess there might be talent for me to envision a stunning layout for my card..... and then skill in me being able to apply the stamp to the inkpad, and get it onto the paper. This is strictly how I differentiate between talent and skill. I'm sure literally everyone has their own definitions and standards. And I am certain they are all completely different from mine. So, I have no argument or rebuttal to differing opinions.

Anyway - the point is - why do I have to have all of this stuff to make a card? Because I love to indulge myself by enjoying the toys of my craft. But all the while I realize that I am being excessive. But if I didn't spend my money on this I would be BUYING CIGARETTES! Yes - if I still smoked, every extra dime I had would go for buying SALEM LIGHTS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Anyway - the point is - why do I have to have all of this stuff to make a card? Because I love to indulge myself by enjoying the toys of my craft. But all the while I realize that I am being excessive. But if I didn't spend my money on this I would be BUYING CIGARETTES! Yes - if I still smoked, every extra dime I had would go for buying SALEM LIGHTS.
Congratulations on your quitting! Tobacco has taken more than one life in my family. Craft away!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #43  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't feel the least bit guilty about what I spend or how much I have in regards to this hobby I love. In regards to the point about collecting: I do sell or give away stuff that hasn't been used in a while or isn't my style anymore, so it does go to a home where it will get some use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you for having the courage to say how you feel. I often feel the way you do. In fact, I have already started to make some changes in my spending habits, priorities, & what I choose to create. I want to get back to the basics!

Thank you for your very thought provoking comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Thank you Blank Canvas, for giving me the reminder that I need occasionally, to sit back and take stock of my life as it fits into the bigger picture. I think, as a society, we don't spend a lot of time differentiating between our needs and our wants. I am guilty of this. I don't think we need to feel guilty about our paper crafting, especially when we are making contributions in other areas. I do think it is healthy for me to examine my life as it relates to our world and make sure I am doing what I can. Thanks for the reminder. I hope you can come to some sort of balance, still enjoying your hobby, and doing it with, at least, minimal guilt. I applaud your sensitivity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #46  
Inking Addict

Wow. I'm just amazed at the depth of thought on this thread. First, I whole heartedly disagree with the statement that stamping is not a talent. It most certainly is. When I see some of the crap (excuse the language) that some people make, and then some of the absolutley breath taking things others do, I realize that some people have a genuine TALENT for stamping, while others don't.
I guess I don't agree with the OP at all. If I work, and yes I do work, and earn my money, then I and anyone else should be able to spend it as we wish. Global warming, Carbon footprint. Honestly. It's a hobby that keeps me sane. With all the awful things that happen in the world, that you hear about on the daily news, everyone needs something to get some enjoyment out of. If you have to think this long and hard about it, then perhaps you should sell you stuff and donate it to a worthy cause.
I will probably get flamed for this post, but honestly. lighten up folks. jeesh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #47  
Inking Addict

Default Just my opinion

Wow! I am reletively new at paper crafting and for me....greed could happen really easily in this craft. People will justify the need for this and that however, I believe one never needs all the "stuff" they have. Most people can't tell you of all the stuff they own or when the last time they used it. If we are really honest, most of us could care less where and who manufactured the stuff we use be it craft supplies or anything else...I'm of the opinion that greed is killing America...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #48  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You certainly have hit a nerve. I would say that a lot of your points are valid - but this is the nature of most hobbies.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #49  
Glitter Queen

Wow..what an interesting thread. I think if we look at our spending habits, most, if not all of us would realize that the majority of what we have are wants and not needs. Let's see...cable TV, anything but water to drink, the internet, fancy phones that do everything imaginable, too big of a house (many in the world live in homes smaller than our basic sheds), boats, more clothes than we need, microwaves, TV's , Ipods, and on and on and on the list goes. Really all we need are a one room house, transportation to our jobs, water, basic food and a few clothes items. All the rest is really wants.

Soooooo.....some of us indulge in paper crafting. It gives us and others joy. In my opinion, unless one is willing to give up ALL wants themselves, then they shouldn't criticize others for having a little enjoyment in their hobbies.

As far as global warming, carbon footprint, etc goes, I don't really buy into all the hype. Buying carbon credits is just someone making money. I believe we should be good stewards of the earth God gave us and I very much respect those who practice what they preach. I have absolutely no respect for those like Al Gore who jet around telling us commoners how to be green and all the Hollywood types who want us to give up all our "luxuries" while they enjoy theirs. Reminds me of the book Animal Farm where in the end everyone was equal but some are more equal than others.

I plan to continue this new hobby of papercrafting which has developed from scrapbooking (which my family loves having the nice family albums for memories). I don't go in debt over spending on my papercrafting and don't go overboard. And I have no problem with those who have hundreds of stamps and reems of paper, rolls of ribbon, tons of stickers, etc. It is none of my business. I am happy they have the money to do what they enjoy.

I think anyone who wants to quit or slow down on this hobby...that is great! For those who want to endulge...good for you! For those (like me) who probably spend more than they need, but don't go overboard, well good for us too. I don't think we are breaking any of the 10 commandments unless we are stealing or turning this hobby into some sort of god.

I say make a decision for your own conscience and comfort and then enjoy living with your decision
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #50  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A thought-provoking post. I don't have nesties or a big shot or copics, largely because of the cost. I just can't bring myself to spend hundreds of dollars for markers when I color like a kindergartner and have ten other ways to color in images.

Do I think people who DO spend the money are frivolous or stupid or irresponsible? HECK NO. For me, as Minister of Finance in our family republic, I know what we can afford to spend on luxuries. I assume others do the same and make decisions in their own family's best interest as well.

Lots of people are leading lives of responsibility, hard work, and compassion toward others, without sacrificing their own pleasure and interests. I don't believe that people should feel guilty about having fun, expressing their creativity, and finding pleasure in sharing that creativity with others. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I spend alot less than I would for therepy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #52  

I am with Wenchie and Digby. I have no need to justify my stamping hobby, the amount of money I choose to spend on it, the carbon footprint I leave, or the way I live.

I can stand before my God and my husband with a clean conscience regarding finances, supplies, and time. Therefore to anyone else: none of your business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #53  
Crimping Master

All I can say is Wow! And all this time I thought I was just making cards and scrapbooks, I didn't realize I needed to be concerned about how my cuttlebug was affecting my carbon footprint, I just thought it was a pretty cool die-cutting machine.

I don't look at it as being greedy or indulgent, it is more about having the right tools to do the job. That is something that my Dad always emphasized, the end result of anything you do is dependent on having the right tools for the job. When I cook, I don't consider a good knife a luxury, it is essential and it is worth every dollar I spent on it because it makes my job easier. The same principle holds true in paper crafting.

Sure, some of the things that I buy are just fun (like dew drops), but using the cooking analogy, wouldn't a dish be boring if the only spice you used was parsley? Garlic, Oregano, Basil, Thyme, etc. those are the things that make a dish interesting, right? That is what those fun things are in paper crafting, they are the spices that keep things fun. They aren't that expensive, but things like Prima flowers, dew drops, brads add so much to a project.

I don't spend money I don't have (just like I don't fix Filet Mignon, if all I can afford is hamburger) and like I said, it is all about having the right tool for the job.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I started to read the OP, I thought, "Uh-oh, I'll want to post and give her a little pat on the back because she's going to be taking some heat on this one!!"

Well shame on me for thinking it because I'd say all of you read the post thoughtfully and responded in kind. Brava!!

I think the same concept has been brought up before, only here a with a little more global emphasis. To me, the OP is reaching a bit of a panic in part because of overseas shipping. That would give me pause also. I think it's commendable to have stopped yourself, giving some serious thought to what you were actually doing, and questioning it. We all need to be responsible for our actions and not go off willy-nilly . . . it's like those bank commercials we used to have where they said "Just because you can... doesn't mean you should."

As far as this hobby in particular being targeted as wasteful ~ well, heck no. To listen to my DH on the topic of cardmaking, you'd think any hobby is wasteful as long as it's not yours LOL!! (really, just kidding here!) Actually, he doesn't have a hobby on the level that this is for me, and I wish he did!! It is so intrinsically rewarding to me... it is part of me... it is creating ... it is sharing... it involves a mental process that I crave. I remember back in the days when I was a technical illustrator, manual, pencil/ink and paper/vellum/whatever ~ you get into a zone, you become attached to your work in a way like nothing else. It's almost meditative. You get to the point where you aren't so much thinking about what you are doing but feeling what you are doing. Oh my. Could that be unethical?

But, could going overboard and having every conceivable tool and product available to me?! Well, I couldn't fathom doing that to begin with! I would be overwhelmed. I think just because it's all available "out there," you can't assume that everyone is gobbling it all up just for kicks. It certainly is possible to go overboard but it is truly in the eye of the beholder.

Yes, there are collectors. And in some ways, I probably have collected stamps. I consider it collecting art. Much in the way that I was ENTHRALLED with the idea that I could purchase a MOVIE!! Okay, I'm old. But VHS tapes of actual movies, within months of their theatrical release!?!? HOLY COW!! I'm holding a masterpiece in my hands! Stamps are kinda like that. With the movies... I'm getting over it LOL!! I'll wait for it On Demand because otherwise we run out of space. I'm a bibliophile and love to be around books... I have a shelf of books I haven't read. I love them anyway! I have books I've read years ago and want to reread and I will never give them up and want to be around them... in the same room with them!! But ... I'm thinking of the Kindle now.

My point is ... we all have the things we love and that have meaning for us. That's a personal choice. And we have to choose to be responsible to the planet, the world, those less fortunate. It's certainly okay to question yourself, question others if you wish, and I think it's great that you came here, OP, to bring it up - to think it out - to share your concerns. And I'm proud and pleased that your comments were received with the thoughtfulness they deserved. In the end, it's up to you to decide what your hobby means to you and whether your purchases are reasonable for your situation. You have a conscience and that's a good thing .

Not long before I started stamping/cardmaking/illustrating stamps... I had cut back on books, movies, clothes... those little bonuses, special things that we treat ourselves to. Then along came this hobby and I realized it was good timing because if I wanted to do this I would have had to give up those things anyway!! I still make lists of books to read, movies to watch, save some catalogs here and there... but for now, if I have some spare cash, this is what I want it to go to. (So if you see a sloppily dressed person at the library borrowing books and renting movies, they might be a stamper LOL!!)

I'm also beginning to wonder if in the U.S. at least we are starting to see a downturn in this industry. I still see the people here who will say in a heartbeat that, yes, you DO need all this stuff... but more and more, I read that people are overwhelmed by what they have. And that "getting back to basics" is becoming everyone's new "hobby."

We live in a modest home, with a bunch of pets (another hobby ;) ), and have everything a little family could want. Really. We are so so fortunate. And when I was single years ago and moved from a one bedroom to a two bedroom apartment, and I could lay in bed and imagine every square inch of that place, and know in my head every single item I owned... I remember thinking one night of the phrase "an embarrasment of riches." Americans sometimes are too hard on themselves - they feel guilty for living well. And yet, on the whole, we are generous, caring, compassionate people...

I think every day that I visit SCS what a special place it is - and tonight, the thought that strikes me is how wonderful it is to meet those of you from other parts of the world and learn a little bit of what it's like there. Fascinating.

Sorry for my ramblings -- as someone said above, it'd be amazing to think someone read the whole thing LOL!! But there are so many others putting their stream of consciousness on this hobby out there, that I'm going to forgive myself for joining in ;) .

OP ~ good for you for starting this thread.

Peace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
.... I just thought it was a pretty cool die-cutting machine.

I don't look at it as being greedy or indulgent, it is more about having the right tools to do the job. That is something that my Dad always emphasized, the end result of anything you do is dependent on having the right tools for the job. When I cook, I don't consider a good knife a luxury, it is essential and it is worth every dollar I spent on it because it makes my job easier. The same principle holds true in paper crafting.......
First, that sounds like something my Dad would say!! Second, love the analogy to cooking!! Third, I think my next hobby should BE cooking and my family would enjoy it too !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #56  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 856 Likes on 282 Posts

Do I think some companies run their business based strictly on their level of greed. Yes I do. Do I think some people buy things just so they can say "I've got more than you do!" Yes, I do. I do think that more companies are trying to make a smaller environmental impact than they used to. When I do buy things I try to buy from companies that are doing their part to leave a smaller carbon footprint on our planet.

I do try to think about what my family's carbon footprint on the planet is and over the last several years I have realized that I really don't need as much as I thought I did.
I used to buy new lunch boxes and backpacks and binders for my kids every school year. Now I only purchase them as needed (when they holes are so big schoolwork falls through them ;-). Overall I have reduced my purchasing and we recycle as much as humanly possible. I have had the same dining room table for over 20 years (though we have had to replace the original chairs). My living room furniture is literally falling apart and when we move this summer I will be replacing them but not with brand new furniture, just new to me furniture.
I try to buy items with minimum to no packaging and as our income has increased I'm trying to buy more things that are at least made in america (not as easy as it used to be) because i do think this world is a much dirtier chemical filled place than it was just a couple of decades ago. I want my eventual grandkids to be able to enjoy the green spaces and wildlife that we get to enjoy today.

Stamping and beading are my two main hobbies and I spend a fair amount on those hobbies but I tithe to my church first, send off my monthly pledge to the two children we sponsor in other countries and support the American Cancer Society because my life has been touched by cancer in a devastating way and it's very important to me that more people with cancer survive and live long healthy lives.

I do think it is important to think about the world we live on and the people that populate it and I'm glad to say that I'm doing my best to keep this a clean and compassionate world.
I want to thank the OP for making people think a little more about their habits. It's good for all of us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a lot, I buy a lot, and have a ton of fun doing this hobby! I won't be changing a single thing! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Crafting is not only my hobby but it is something I have to do to keep sane. It's my release from the daily stresses of life and job. Having said that, I do agree with you on the "greed" factor. I find myself "wanting" all the neat and wonderful new papers and tools featured here and on other sites. I have gotten to the place in my life where I now ask myself "Do I really NEED this or that?" and I often think of those less fortunate than myself and wonder what they must think of people like me. Sometimes I falter and do go out and spend but I am really trying to be happy and more creative with what I already have.
I commend you on your opening post because I think it takes a lot of guts to take a good look at how you are spending your money and the effect that may have on you, others, and the environment.
Wishing you well, Blankcanvas, and having a good look at my own craft spending habits,
Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #59  

I think that the use of the word "ethical" here is a bit far-fetched. I do agree with you in seeing the market being saturated and the competition is fierce, unfortunately.

I realize this is a hobby but it is used for good. We can't do anything about the starving children in Africa and contribute when we can, but we can make a huge impact on those around us.

As far as stamping going green, I think there's bigger fish to fry and no freight is carried for usually just one vendor. We have automakers going bankrupt, our social security and Medicare is in dire straits, we're becoming a socialistic nation, so I believe in the scheme of it all, stamping is the least of our worries.

Margaret Thatcher said it best," I wonder what the government will do when they run out of other people's money."

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #60  

And I'd also like to add that since I make the money, I'm going to spend it the way that I want to. The gov't already gets 40% in taxes so the way I see it, is that I don't owe them anything else because they're supposed to be distributing it to the needy and we give a lot of aid to other countries.

I'm turning this political and I don't want to, but I'm just not feeling where stamping is unethical. It's a passion for me and I enjoy it and always will. I think that what each individual buys is their business and their business only, and nobody should have to justify why or how they spend their money.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post
Margaret Thatcher said it best," I wonder what the government will do when they run out of other people's money."
Thatcher, Thatcher the milk Snatcher. Took the government milk program out of schools and left many children without any calcium intake in their daily lives.

The woman who advocated taxing people who registered to vote or do you not remember the poll tax riots.

Not someone I look to idealistically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #62  
Crimping Master

It's a good point! There is some balance...a lot of what we make is recyclable and brings joy to others, (and ourselves! ). I figure there are worse things: I don't drink, smoke, drive an SUV (although I could justify it, given the roads out here), and so on. In addition, although the 'hype' is huge, it's up to me as a relatively sane adult to decide whether I want to buy in to it or not...literally.

Thanks for your post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Don't know who took it out of ours...but whoever it was needs thanking! Most often...unless it was winter that milk used to be off or very close to it...being left out in the sun...Yukko Bukko. Guess nowadays, if it was brought into schools they would have to do the quality assurance thing...and have it cooled!

Ooohh gives me shivers to remember that rank stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Thatcher, Thatcher the milk Snatcher. Took the government milk program out of schools and left many children without any calcium intake in their daily lives.

The woman who advocated taxing people who registered to vote or do you not remember the poll tax riots.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #64  
Stampin' Fool

Very interesting food for thought.

Random comments....

Thinking seriously, I have two incredibly expensive and time consuming crafting passions. They do have different outcomes, IMHO. When I make a quilt, I make if for a person or special event and I PLAN for it to be kept forever--decades at minimum. I buy only the best sewing supplies--fabric, threads, sewing machines are all top-of-the-line--but I can afford them. I only give my quilts to people who I completely trust to treat them as a member of the family!
I look at papercrafting as more "disposable". I assume that a card I give may be admired and kept for a day/week/month, but it probably isn't going to become a focal point of decor in the home like my quilts will. Scrapbookers probably tend to think more in the long term, anticipating their creations will be kept long-term.
I often step back and pull myself away from the "BUY NOW" button on a website that has intriguing stamps or embellishments and contemplate my "need" of that purchase. Fabric is a bit different--I must feel it and hold it and pet it and see the colors IN PERSON--which quickly limits my purchases online to mostly patterns.

We all must comtemplate and take to heart all of the comments in this thread and be wise consumers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #65  

Quote:

Maybe not but what she said is true.

And it's not the govt's responsibility to give children milk either. Not everybody is going to hit the nail on the head but that quote of hers that I mentioned is totally accurate and is something to think about. What will the gov't do when they finally bankrupt the middle class? It's happening now. Just look at all of the foreclosures. Healthcare isn't the govt's responsibility either. Ron Paul also hit the nail on the head that when gov't controls healthcare, they're essentially taking ownership of our bodies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Maybe not but what she said is true.

And it's not the govt's responsibility to give children milk either. Not everybody is going to hit the nail on the head but that quote of hers that I mentioned is totally accurate and is something to think about. What will the gov't do when they finally bankrupt the middle class? It's happening now. Just look at all of the foreclosures. Healthcare isn't the govt's responsibility either. Ron Paul also hit the nail on the head that when gov't controls healthcare, they're essentially taking ownership of our bodies.
It is in Britain - you don't have the right to impose US beliefs on another country.

You are taking her quote out of context. Britain is in as stable position economically than the US if not moreso and their people are able to continue with their medical treatments despite the economic downturn and maybe even joblosses as their healthcare isn't tied into their work and is a basic human right.

Unless you have lived there, you don't have a bloody clue. Cancer patients are seen with newer treatments and faster than in the US. There is a focus on the total being.

Maybe you shouldn't judge something you haven't lived and aren't really that familiar with.

The government never owned my body when I lived there and in fact I had far better treatment there than I have ever had in this country.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #67  

Quote:

Originally Posted by isewquilts2View Post
Very interesting food for thought.

Random comments....

Thinking seriously, I have two incredibly expensive and time consuming crafting passions. They do have different outcomes, IMHO. When I make a quilt, I make if for a person or special event and I PLAN for it to be kept forever--decades at minimum. I buy only the best sewing supplies--fabric, threads, sewing machines are all top-of-the-line--but I can afford them. I only give my quilts to people who I completely trust to treat them as a member of the family!
I look at papercrafting as more "disposable". I assume that a card I give may be admired and kept for a day/week/month, but it probably isn't going to become a focal point of decor in the home like my quilts will. Scrapbookers probably tend to think more in the long term, anticipating their creations will be kept long-term.
I often step back and pull myself away from the "BUY NOW" button on a website that has intriguing stamps or embellishments and contemplate my "need" of that purchase. Fabric is a bit different--I must feel it and hold it and pet it and see the colors IN PERSON--which quickly limits my purchases online to mostly patterns.

We all must comtemplate and take to heart all of the comments in this thread and be wise consumers.
Did you come down to the quilt show in Paducah a few weeks ago? I went and it was my first. It was amazing! My daughter and I modeled clothes and I'm thinking I'm going to be wearing a blanket or something, and you wouldn't believe the beauty. Oh my, it was breathtaking! My outfit was fabulous. And the material that some of the vendors had for sale was out of this world. I'm thinking I'm safe there because I'm a paper crafter. So not true. All I could think about was getting fabric to run through the Big Shot Express, which I still haven't done yet, but will soon. I'll attach some thumbnails of my daughter's outfit. There's one of some of the material that I've attached and what I wore will be in the next post because you can only attach 3 files. It was beautiful
Attached Thumbnails
Is papercrafting an ethical hobby?-100_2484.jpg   Is papercrafting an ethical hobby?-100_2483.jpg   Is papercrafting an ethical hobby?-100_2486.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #68  

Here's the material that I wore.
Attached Thumbnails
Is papercrafting an ethical hobby?-my-material.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #69  
Compulsive Stamper

I admit I am one of those who spend a lot on this so-called addicting hobby. What can I do, I�m so hooked! I will never justify my spending because just by looking at the $$$ amount on my inventory, anybody will have a heart attack. When I first came to the US and DH took me to Michaels. Weird as it may sound, I told him that it was a magical and blissful place. Back where I came from, foam shapes are still a hot item for scrapbook and card making.

I love browsing online stores and enjoy reading craft blogs. I even scanned every category that ebay has for stamping and scrapbooking section. I love all the gorgeous character stamps and designer paper of BG. I honestly got a lot of craft goodies that would last me a lifetime but where do I draw the line? Honestly, I don�t know. These pretty things don�t come for free and you�re right I am spending hard-earned money. The question is, am I being materialistic and happy? If I�m being honest the answer is a definite yes. Paper crafting makes me happy and sane. I have shown love for paper and scissors since I was 3 years old. I have a husband who supports my hobby but doesn�t mind telling me few times to watch my spending. He understands the need for a woman to shop and the need to fulfill the crafting needs. I am a SAHM and we are a family who lived overseas in a military installation. We don�t have much life here. This is a remote place where wives can�t even work. My life practically revolves in the house, with the family and with my craft. If not for my crafting, I would have lost it a long time ago�

I am being honest and straightforward when I said that I am spending hard-earned money, but that doesn�t mean I am spending it all on my crafts. I pay all our payables promptly, I save money for our future and retirement, I save money for our child like it�s a monthly bill and we do our fair share in the charity work. We extend financial help on my family back home in the Philippines. We also send some money for my in-laws couple times a year. We even let the military take some of our pay and give the money to an institution in the Philippines that takes care of the hungry street children. When I can, I would give my crafting friends back in the Philippines some of my duplicates and crafting things that I don�t really use. This way, they can save their money for their families and other needs. I always made sure too that we would give goodies on most occasions to fellow soldiers and their families here. You see, I can take care of my family and some friends but being a SAHM makes it difficult to do more. We have limited resources and we can only do so much, right!? Anyways, charity starts at home. But given the chance to be a millionaire, of course we will give more and do more of the charity work and will still definitely buy (PROBABLY MORE) paper crafting goodies.

Couple months ago, me and 2 other online craft friends made a pact. The 3 of us know that we are spending a lot and we agreed to stop for a year or we�ll be penalized for $5. But then a supplier would offer me 22 sets Spellbinder dies for $120 or a 30 set of large/medium House Mouse rubberstamps for $100. Would you let go of that deal? Of course not! Not only did I bought it for myself, but I even dragged my friends with it. It makes me happy knowing I was able to share those great deals with my friends. Later on we decided to just stop this deal because the three of us agreed that it just wasn�t working. We all know that if we decided to stick in this hobby, we would really ended up spending money.

I�m happy I found joy in reading threads here in SCS and finding a couple of good online crafting friends. As I explore more, I learn more. This thread is an eye-opener. We can this objectively or offensively. I believed that this hobby has a good and bad side. Most of us here probably spend a lot but let�s not forget the smile and the happiness that those handmade cards brought to the people we love. Let�s not forget the joy we feel when somebody appreciates our effort and creativity. Let�s not forget that we are teaching and encouraging our kids to be creative rather than do something else that is not worthwhile. Is it all worth it??? My answer is a definite YES.

As for being green, I always go to the thrift store and flea market to find items that I can alter and to buy furniture that I can use for storing my craft supplies.

Claire
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #70  

Quote:

It is in Britain - you don't have the right to impose US beliefs on another country.

You are taking her quote out of context. Britain is in as stable position economically than the US if not moreso and their people are able to continue with their medical treatments despite the economic downturn and maybe even joblosses as their healthcare isn't tied into their work and is a basic human right.

Unless you have lived there, you don't have a bloody clue. Cancer patients are seen with newer treatments and faster than in the US. There is a focus on the total being.

Maybe you shouldn't judge something you haven't lived and aren't really that familiar with.

The government never owned my body when I lived there and in fact I had far better treatment there than I have ever had in this country.
Who said I was? Do you live in Britain? Don't accuse me of judging or imposing. I have a right to my opinion and haven't degraded yours whatsoever, so I expect the same courtesy in return. Don't turn this ugly or hold me responsible for somebody else's statements. You don't know my background and I'm familiar with a lot more than you're giving me credit for. Every time I say something, you have a tendency to jump all over me and I don't like it one bit so I'm asking you to please stop.

Last edited by KY Southern Belle; 05-12-2009 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Mistake in sentence
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #71  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Keeping in mind that the innitial thread clearly stated she did not mean to offend these were just her thoughts about her own feelings toward the choices we make.
To this I agree. Without all of the banter our world needs to change. It begins as small steps within our own lives. If one person wishes to rethink purchases and share these thoughts I think that is wonderful. It shows one person trying to make a change.
A woman stayed with us from Pakistan for a few days. We took her to Polo Park here in Winnipeg (our mall) She kept asking what everyone was carrying. I didn't understand her but later realized that she didn't know why everyone was carrying plastic bags in the mall. We have so much, even when we think we don't.
If I have pocket change and my eyes meet someone on the corner with a sign I gladly give it to them without judgement. I teach my children to tap on someone's shoulder that is sleeping on the street and give them a dollar or two. As a human race we simply have to look after each other, as well as ourselves.
I make cards and I scrapbook, it is a great deal of fun for me. I take pleasure making keepsakes for my children. I have enough I have more than enough, I have my faith, family and health.
Thank you for this thought provoking thread.
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Who said I was? Do you live in Britain? Don't accuse me of judging or imposing. I have a right to my opinion and haven't degraded yours whatsoever, so I expect the same courtesy in return. Don't turn this ugly or hold me responsible for somebody else's statements. You don't know my background and I'm familiar with a lot more than you're giving me credit for. Every time I say something, you have a tendency to jump all over me and I don't like it one bit so I'm asking you to please stop.
I commented on your choice of quotes - I think you will find that I have only responded to blatent fallacies perpetrated by yourself. If you do not wish to be called out on them then don't state them as fact in the first place. Your assumptions are downright offensive and I have more to do than to stalk you for "every time" you say something, so again another fallacy.

However, I will defend my position and will point out inaccuracies if they persist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #73  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmmmm.

No offense taken from the perspectives presented, however, as far as the hobby of paper crafting being ethical or unethical, I honestly do not believe that such a blanket generalization is applicable.

I don't usually go "deep", but, I'll toss my 2 cents in. ;)

To be sure greed, excess, and waste, exist in virtually every industry, not paper crafting alone.

We each, whether individual or company, have the power and choice to make a conscientious effort to reduce our carbon footprint.

We each have the right to make determine when, where, and how to invest our monies.

Without doubt I'd say it is important, throughout life, to examine one's own actions and behaviors and how they affect others--what I do touches you, and what you do touches me. Just as there those who do not care how anything they do or say impacts another, there are as many--and don't we all hope (?)--or more, that DO, and strive to make a positive impact on those around them, with their actions and behaviors.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course.

I suppose the actions or behaviors of any given individual could be viewed, labelled or judged by another as "greedy", "excessive" or "showing off" . . .

But, I have a hard time judging anyone else, based on perceptions or assumptions on my part that could be badly mistaken or completely false, with regards to how they spend their money on paper crafting or any other hobby.

Maybe Susie Stamper does own every tool and gadget known to the stamping world. But, I'd be loathe to claim that just because she does, she is irresponsible in a global sense because she is not spending her money on what *I* personally would deem a more worthy cause, or that she is greedy, excessive or showing off.

She may be contributing greatly to wonderful causes and charities of which I know not, because she has chosen to do so anonymously, without fanfare or acclaim.

Material possessions, or lack thereof, are not, IMHO, an indicator of any person's humility or true character.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #74  

Quote:

I commented on your choice of quotes - I think you will find that I have only responded to blatent fallacies perpetrated by yourself. If you do not wish to be called out on them then don't state them as fact in the first place. Your assumptions are downright offensive and I have more to do than to stalk you for "every time" you say something, so again another fallacy.

However, I will defend my position and will point out inaccuracies if they persist.
In your opinion, which is just that, yours, does not necessitate it's a fact. You don't seem to get that I was quoting people that I'm not responsible for. Your assumptions are just as downright offensive to me, especially the fact that you can't practice what you preach. I'll point out the same inaccuracy to you that you do indeed turn ugly everything I say and take it out of context.

Since you refuse to respect the fact that I asked you to stop being so uber sensitive to everything I write, and can't seem follow the rules that you impose on me or be reasonable in any sort of exchange when your opinions are politely disagreed with, I'm going to put an end to it and block you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Geez girls...get a room! You're embarrassing the rest of us, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #76  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Goodnight everyone.
Hope you all have a great day tomorrow.
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #77  
Die Cut Diva

... and Art will always be an important part of Life ... it will lift us up ... and hold us together ...

that is all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #78  
Matboard Maniac

We all need to find a balance between money and effort spent on ourselves and money and effort spent to help others.

Paper crafting brings joy to me and to the recipients of my cards. Buying supplies provides jobs to others.

I want to behave in such a way that the world is a little bit better because I have been in it, and I think paper crafting contributes to that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #79  
Mad Swapper

What an incredibly thought provoking thread. What great input from so many different perspectives.

I do have to constantly check to make sure my hobby isn't turning into a glutonous obsession. Becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator helped me focus my spending on primarily one company whose phisolophy's I basically agreed with. I certainly buy from other companies, but don't feel like I have to have all the latest trends. I love sharing the hobby with others in my classes, and the classes help cover my costs so I don't feel like I'm taking away from the family budget.

But, here's what I constantly have to ask myself. If I weren't paper crafting, what would I be doing. I worry more about the time it takes away from other things that might be more important, like family, family responsibilties, exercising, . . .

Paper crafting is really about the only thing I do for myself and it's gotten me through the deaths of our parents, stresses on the job, or just a funk mood. Like just about anything else, it can be used for good or for bad. It's up to me to make the difference.

Thanks for such a though provoking thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #80  
Pearl-ExPert

I was just out walking in the rain thinking on this topic some more.....Great post Julie.....I have added bits in red....my thoughts as I was reading away!
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Hmmmmm.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course.

I suppose the actions or behaviors of any given individual could be viewed, labelled or judged by another as "greedy", "excessive" or "showing off" . . .
Take me, for example: It has been commented that I DO have a lot of gear. Put it into perspective though. I have been stamping since the 90's sometime. I also taught within the Primary School Sector, have taught many workshops with adults, DO own a small stamping business, live some distance away from outlets I like to shop at. With these considerations...of course I have a lot of stuff. Do I use my gear...Bloody Oath, I do. I'd be a bit hurt being labelled as any of those descriptors!
But, I have a hard time judging anyone else, based on perceptions or assumptions on my part that could be badly mistaken or completely false, with regards to how they spend their money on paper crafting or any other hobby.I was just thinking I would never catch up with the fishing fraternity...just the cost of the boat before anything else makes it a very expensive hobby (just to name one)

Maybe Susie Stamper does own every tool and gadget known to the stamping world. But, I'd be loathe to claim that just because she does, she is irresponsible in a global sense because she is not spending her money on what *I* personally would deem a more worthy cause, or that she is greedy, excessive or showing off. So true. I don't want to be judge and jury either!Lucky Susie!!!

She may be contributing greatly to wonderful causes and charities of which I know not, because she has chosen to do so anonymously, without fanfare or acclaim.And even if she doesn't....that's her thing. It makes her happy...end of story.

Material possessions, or lack thereof, are not, IMHO, an indicator of any person's humility or true character.Agreed!

Reply With Quote Likes