Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paper Trimmer

My paper trimmer is getting old. About time for a new one. Any suggestions on a really good one that is at least 5 1/2 inches wide. Thanks for your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't remember exactly how wide it is, but I just bought a cricut trimmer recently and I love it. It was to replace my old Fiskars that my dd broke. I like that it 'locks' at the top so when the guide is down the paper isn't moving all over the place. It also seems like the track is tighter than the fiskars was so the cut is even and not wavy. There are also lots of gridlines for when you are cutting things that don't measure at 'common' numbers. I used a coupon at Joanns and got it for around $10.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #3  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

I LOVE my Tonic Trimmer. Won't use any other!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Is your Tonic Trimmer a 12" x12" or the mini trimmer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Tonic - I have the 12x12 guillotine. LOVE it! Joann's often has them on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are talking about a paper trimmer that is staying put (not taking it to crops etc)... I would go with the Fiskars 12" Rotary Paper Trimmer. I sprang for this baby about 2 years ago and I've never been sorry. I use it ALL the time, cut heavy cardstock, tissue paper, lamenated items, foil, embossed & glitter laden papers, etc -- and it does an amzaing job on everything. I've replaced the blade once in two years and they are cheap. More often, I replace the bar that the blade cuts into. That costs about $5-$7 -- but you can use all four sides of it. I find I'd rather replace the bar when I've used a lot of glittery cardstock (like around the holidays). A clean bar makes for a perfect cut.

Fiskars website is here. But I'm sure you can find it for cheaper. They also have a ton of other blades (victorian, deckeled, wavy, etc) that make cutting that sort of edge SUPER easy - much easier than punching. Replacing the blade takes only seconds so it isn't a big deal -- and there is even a small storage place on top of the cutter that stores the extra blades so they don't get misplaced.

This was the best money I ever spent on my crafting (second best was my ATG gun).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have both the Tonic 12x12 Guillotine trimmer and the 8.5" trimmer and I LOVE them both! I have tried the various Fiskars trimmers and Creative Memories trimmers and my Tonics outshine them all. I can take the tiniest sliver off of a piece of paper and it's always straight, straight, straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 04:09 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortuantely I had a different experience with Tonic. I bought the Tonic cutter last fall and was very unhappy with the quality. The swing arm blade had a defect in the middle of it and it tore the paper instead of cutting it. I contacted the company and they sent me another blade, but it did the same thing.

I could have returned it to the on line store I bought it from, but the shipping costs were really high to send it back as it doesn't fit in a flat rate box. I was so unhappy with the cutter that I wound up throwing it out in the trash.

So my advise is if your going to buy a Tonic cutter, don't get it on line unless your willing to pay the high shipping cost to send it back. Better to buy it at a store that you can return it to if you get a bad one like I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #9  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 629 Likes on 441 Posts

I have 2 tonics and love them. But I just bought the fiskars with the wire guide and really like it. Jennifer Maguire recommended it at a class I took with her. I have only had it for a week and it has gotten a lot of use. It is great for the small pieces and smaller size items. You see exactly where the cut is going to be made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Dahle, and couldn't be happier. I think I've had about every other brand on the market and never could quite get a straight cut, but this really does the trick every time. It's quite large, but I don't' travel with it. I was eyeing the Genesis for so long, but couldn't justify buying it when I'm so happy with mine. But it seems like people really love those too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow, I came to this thread while searching about the cutterbee, which can be easily bought in a LSS- then I read about the Tonic Guillotine trimmer and I AM SO SOLD! But!!! It is not available here in a LSS and I will have to pay USD100 all up with shipping to get my hands on one... Is it worth it? I have a Fiskars one, my first trimmer and already 2 weeks into its life it is giving up LOL. I don't want to keep buying a crappy slide trimmer every 2 weeks >_
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love, love, LOVE my SU! trimmer. I've had MANY others and have found that not a single one of them would cut straight. Since I got my SU! trimmer, I honestly don't know what I did without it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Love this thread. I am looking for a new trimmer as well. I have a guillotine ATM but it is crooked, so i have to adjust for the slant every time i cut. Thank you for all the advice
Reply With Quote Likes