Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool overwhelmed

does anybody get overwhelmed with the amount of stamps and accessories that we have that they dont know where to begin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, I sometimes do that. It seems like I spend more time organizing than stamping.
I had a bad year for stamping last year when my husband was deployed and didn't feel creative but still felt like buying. So basically I was still buying things and putting the bags in my stamp room but not using any of it. I even bought some hallmark cards. **shuddering at the thought** He's been home almost a year now and I'm still trying to get things all the way back in order. But sometimes I think that's part of the fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup! Sometimes I spend most of my time neither stamping nor organizing! Just looking at everything.

Take a cruise through the gallery and search for something specific you'd like to use (like a stamp you have or a paper, etc.) Find one you like and just change the colors or layout a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

yes, a lot! I don't know how many times I say to myself... do I REALLY need all this stuff. I have been trying to reduce my purchases and be selective but it's hard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

THATS GOOD TO HEAR I STARTED HAVING DOUBLES OF STUFF NOW IF I CAN ONLY GET STARTED
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Every day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Nope, never. I buy all the time and use every last thing I own. No waste, nothing sitting around gather dust.. HA HA!

Who am I kidding? We all have a lot of stuff we don't use. I have so much and I still keep buying. I did just redo my craft area and storage which was a huge eyeopener and money maker. I sold a bunch of sets and other items on eBay and made a pretty penny. I think that a lot of why we get we buy because its eye candy or we see it used and think we have to have it or else. Now that I am organized, I can physiaclly see all the time what I own. I've been good about shopping and don't want to waste money. Get this- I was at M's today with a 50% off coupon, its pay day for both me and my husband and I have a nifty stash of cash in another account so I could have bought anything I wanted. Nope, I bought a Dotto refil for $2.99. I saw some cute stuff, but I walked away. My husband is away fro nearly two week statrting tomorrow so I am going to challenge myself to get to working on scrapbooks, cards and other projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I am overwhelmed at times and I say I am going to cut down cuz who needs thousands of stamps, inks, papers, embellies, etc.... but come Saturday morning I am back on the trail .. driving to my stamp stores because GOD FORBID I miss anything !!! Might be sale, and of course I always need one more piece of paper.... this is such an addiction .. but I love it ... I can't help myself LOL
Now I am going to be a Grandma in January for the first time ... so a new reason to shop for baby stamps paper etc... it is an never ending need for something else ... just one more stamp ........... I promise hehehehehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Stamping is a second hobby to needlework for me but I still do have a pretty good stash. Not nearly as much as some of you ladies but I get by. ;) I usually find it hard to just get started because I get overwhelmed with which stamp set to use, what colours of paper, what layout, etc. I've really enjoyed trying out a couple of the challenges here because it helps me to focus more to actually DO something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes and no. This is why some folks stick to Stampin Up. It makes it sooo much easier. But then I get sucked into the vortex............ and I have a lot of other companies' stuff.

Here is my latest coping mechanism. I took about 2/3rds of what I own and just boxed it up. Paper, stamps, etc. Out, out, out. Now I can see what is left and I am using it. In a few months, I'll rotate....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Yes and no. This is why some folks stick to Stampin Up. It makes it sooo much easier. But then I get sucked into the vortex............ and I have a lot of other companies' stuff.

Here is my latest coping mechanism. I took about 2/3rds of what I own and just boxed it up. Paper, stamps, etc. Out, out, out. Now I can see what is left and I am using it. In a few months, I'll rotate....
Great idea! Except, I don't have anywhere to put the boxed stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

thats how this whole thing got started iwent to a stampin up party since then its been down hill i cant get enough stamps i try to use alot of them in my scrapbooks so i wont feel guilty love making cards just cant get started sometimes oh well
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I really suggest everyone really take a good look at what you have and pull stuff you aren't using. I made hundreds on eBay about a month ago selling sets that I had to have and never used. I don't miss a thing I sold. I can't even remember 80% of what I sold!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I feel overwhelmed a lot of the time. I go to my craft room and look at all the stuff and it takes me awhile to get started on something just because I'm not sure where to start. I've been thinking about going through my stamps and selling a few things on E-bay. Maybe that will help!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

if i know what card i want to make, i don't get overwhelmed. if i go into my craft room (aka Lee's happy place :p ) without an idea of what i'm going to do, half the time i just sit there.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa HannantView Post
I really suggest everyone really take a good look at what you have and pull stuff you aren't using. I made hundreds on eBay about a month ago selling sets that I had to have and never used. I don't miss a thing I sold. I can't even remember 80% of what I sold!
You know... I've been debating doing this as well. I have sets stored and can't even remember what they are...but as soon as I take them out of that closet....BAM I'm in love all over again- I am so very weak! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, yes, I know the feeling. But, I love all my stuff. It makes me happy even when I am struggling with being creative. It's my security blankie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too wonder when enough stamps will be enough. It was fairly simple when I just bought SU but I've discovered so many other wonderful companies. I have SO many stamps that have never seen ink and I tell myself I have enough, and then Rubberstamp Ave. has a sale....sigh. When will enough be enough?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 04:18 AM   #19  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 613 Likes on 432 Posts

I think this hobby involves a lot of buying for me! Things change quickly so if you do not buy that paper you love when you see it, it will probably be gone. So what if I never use it-I have it! I have tried to be better. I have sold some stamps and then bought more of course! There are so many great products out there that you do not want to miss anything. I have so much stuff piled on my desk right now that I cannot even work there. I haven't even had time to clean it, now that is my problem. I will use what I buy at some point, or at least that it what I tell myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 04:26 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I want stamps!!! I am so new to this and things are so tight that I have to wait. I have to say that I am jealous of you who have so much that you can't even rememer what all you have. I was/am an old scrapbooker, so I have CS but not stamps really. I bought some Autum Leaves flowers and flourishes but thats all I have for right now. I am just dying to get a variety of stamps and sayings so I can really play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Your post made me smile...especially the thought of you opening those boxes in a few months....like Christmas baby!!!!!!!

tfs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Default stuff

You girls are to funny, i have to show this to my hubby so he will realize i am not the only addict out there..I have more than i will ever use, and just keep buying more...my friends come over and say it is like being in joanns but everything is open. I swore I would use one thing of my "stash" wall everyday to use some of it up, but I just keep adding to it.
I think i need help...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Default Hi ... my name is Lil ... and I'm a scrap-o-holic

I feel EVERYONE's pain (and pleasure). I have only been scrapping for about 3 years now. And it all started innocently enough. I wanted to make my daughter and daughter-in-law a family heritage recipe album. So I got two recipe albums from gooseberry patch (they no longer make them - sigh), and talked to a few gals that knew something about making "pages" and started sorting through family photos and recipes and got everything ready to go. Then I discovered Archiver's and the rest is history. And I swore to my sisters when we started this project that once I was done with the albums that I wasn't going to do anything more. Famous last words. I started wanting a "quick fix" so cardmaking became my new passion, which I still so thoroughly enjoy. I even sell them at salons, etc., which only enables me to purchase more and more "stuff" for cardmaking. I'd love to check myself into rehab because then I would have more hours to spend on my favorite pasttime!! I still work fulltime and all I can do is THINK about getting home to my favorite room and create. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

It is so easy to get caught up in the frenzy - especially on sites - listening to everyone talk about the latest and greatest toy or stamp set they purchased. It makes feel like you "need" to run out and purchase it.
What we all need to remember (At least I try to remember) is it never matters how much you (I) have it is more about what I do with it.
Am I making cards and sending them to family and friends for different occasions and donating some to different organizations (i.e. soldiers, churches)? Am I scrapbooking my family memories for future generations to have as a keepsake?
It is so easy to forget why we are making all these purchases.
I really don't purchase cards - I rely on myself to make what I need. I know people that have gorgeous stamp rooms with the latest tools and supplies but don't use their cards - they purchase cards to send.
Then yes - you have too much and it is time to sell it or donate some to those less fortunate.
When I start to feel overwhelmed I sit and make a list of Birthday, Anniversaries, etc that are events happening in my life I need a card or gift for that month and the next month.
Then I pick say all the girl birthday's I just listed for those 2 months and start making the cards I will need to send or give. I even try to make paper creation gifts to if I think it is a good idea. I will decorate a bag if I know I have a gift for someone.
That way it gives me a starting point and a direction from my stamping. That helps me not feel so overwhelmed.
Challenge yourself - use what you have and not make another purchase until you see that you are actually going through supplies!
I am a SU Demo and here I am saying "don't make another purchase"? Am I nuts. But it is true - you have to remember why you got into this and get back to stamping and enjoying your hobby. As you use the supplies you will need more for sure - then you can buy!

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Be careful selling. I sold tons of sets on EBAY and there are days I really regret it. My daughter is mad at me for some that I sold. I might see something and think "OH, I have that set!" But then realize I sold it. Some I don't miss but even some that I hardly used or wasn't sure I liked I miss now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I have coped with the abundance by going through periods I call "craft-fast." Most recently, I went for 30 DAYS without buying a single thing. Of course, that meant I had to stay out of the craft stores, avoid the craft aisle at Wal-Mart, and not visit any internet stores. I have to say, it was a freeing feeling to know that I would not be purchasing anything for those 30 days, and instead used and made do with what I had. I saved a lot of time and money, and it forced me to be more creative. I also have to say, I was really glad when it was over, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

We all spend money on things we enjoy. At least its cheaper than therapy.
In fact having a hobby you enjoy is one of the first things a counselor would encourage.
Just weed out the "extras" you never use, pick one or two days a week to meet with your friends to stamp.
Try to keep in mind that we only have so many years on this earth. Don't waste those precious days feeling bad...spend those being happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a relatively new stamper (6 months). I was getting a little overwhelmed at first. What I do now is pick one of my stamp sets that I like or want to use that day and then I go to the gallery for that stamp set to get inspiration for a card and in a few minutes I am busy making my version of the inspiration card.
I would also like to suggest to those of you who have too many stamps sets or sets you don't use to consider selling or swapping on this site. For some reason I feel more comfortable buying here than on ebay. And as a new stamper I am definitely interested in some of the retired sets.

Have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I don't know about anyone else but my craft room is a dangerous place to be!! Everytime I go in there to do something I'm tripping over stuff! My DIL introduced me to paper crafts about 3 years ago and created a monster!! I'm a collector. I think I need EVERYTHING! If I quit my job and stayed in my craft room 8 hours a day 'till I die I still probably couldn't use up all the stuff I have. I'm sure my DD's and DIL will be in heaven when I kick the proverbial bucket!! They will be able to shop for days!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

if im really in crazy stamp mode, i will use a stamp set for my first idea, then dig around for sets i havent used in a while, and after each stamp set is used, i move it to a pile or empty box. I go through most of my stamp sets that don't get used much this way, and usually do the same thing with my pretty papers and stuff!

see if that works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Joelyn - perfectly said - I agree! Don't waste your days feeling bad or overwhelmed. Be thankful you were able to purchase the supplies and play with them!
BeckyG3 - I think that is a great idea! I am not sure were on this site we are allowed to sell stamps. I have been sorting through my stamps and will be posting what I am selling on my blog in the next month or two. It's a space issue for me and I have contemplated putting what I am keeping (of my retired sets from SU) on EZ Mounts (from Sunday International).

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm lucky in that my sister just started and signed up for SU... now I have a little 'care' package for her with some of my less-used stamps. Next, I'll sort through some paper for her! And now and then I pass along some items to good SCS friends I met through trading here.

I have found that non-SU is selling really well on Splitcoast. The hardest part was having more than one person want certain stamps or sets and I had to tell them they were already sold :( .

I'm trying to keep my embellishments, paper and cardstock to SU. Patterned paper from other companies, especially Basic Grey, are really hard to resist. I just keep telling myself that SU coordinates so well and I know there will be new ribbons and DP that I will love -- soon!

I just saw a banner ad here for 10% off so went there -- so many cute stamps!! I loaded up my cart with stamps and a few punches... then went through and thought harder about each item. I decided to pass on the punches and see what SU comes up with. I ended up with two single stamps and two small stamp sets and I was proud of myself!!

The only other way for me not to be overwhelmed is to organize. If I can see what I have, it gives me some sense of control. I was looking for a musical note stamp the other day and thought for sure I must have one in some set.... I ended up using a little musical note punch one of my trading friends had sent me. Maybe it's time for an index binder...

I also use the same process of elimination I have for anything else: If there's one thing you might use more -- e.g. one zoo animal set or coloring medium or whatever that you always seem to use more than another -- than it's time to sell/trade/give the one you use less.

I do like Marla's "craft fast" idea!! I was doing pretty well lately - until today. Knowing that SU will have a new catalog soon is really helping me... I think I can go until then with nothing new now. Really!! What a great feeling that would be!!

It can be a struggle sometimes ... but it isn't always so painful!! Even when I'm combing through things to purge, I see it as time to appreciate all the wonderful things I do have to create with!!

Last edited by Phantom; 06-11-2008 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

One thing that I have started doing with my abundance of stamps sets is that I put a small post-it note on the stamp set container with the date that I last used the set. If I haven't used the set in 6 or 12 months, then I think hard about how much do I still "need" the set. I've been selling quite a bit on the buy/sell/trade forum.

Here's my daycare blog: http://www.kimsdaycarenebraska.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I LOVE the "date last used" idea ~ I'll have to do that, too! Thanks for sharing it!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

yep, I have a lot of stuff too!!! But I got brave and started sorting my papers and embellishments and was very honest with myself, or at least as honest as an addicted to scrapbooking/stamping person can be LOL... and what I knew I really would not use I donated it to my local Children's Aid Society for the foster moms and dads to use in creating lifebooks(scrapbooks) for their foster child or foster children. It's a great cause and helped me pare down my overflowing cropper hoppers of paper.

Sheree
stampin and a scrappin' in Oshawa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

That's an excellent way to give new life to that extra supplies we all seem to accumulate ... our local scrapbook store actually does a benefit once a year through the Lutheran church where unwanted scrapbook supplies are donated and then given to families that might not otherwise be able to afford the supplies necessary to enjoy this fun pasttime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

From the Heart - what a great idea you had donating it to the Children's Aids Society - that way others can use the supplies to make scrapbooks and cards.

Ichild - what a wonderful event your scrapbook store does.

I will be looking for something like this near me.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

I get overwhelmed also, you're not alone! I have about 6 SU sets that have never seen ink, and too much patterned paper to count.....

I get REALLY frustrated when packing for a crop.....you never know how much stuff you have until you try and smash it all into a tote! And I even have the Crop-in-style XXL!

Sometimes when I sit down to do an SCS challenge, I will make it a point to use one of the sets that I haven't touched yet. Or patterned paper for that matter.

If all else fails, sell it on Ebay. People are always looking for new stamping/scrapping supplies!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #39  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by mperrymanView Post
I have coped with the abundance by going through periods I call "craft-fast." Most recently, I went for 30 DAYS without buying a single thing. Of course, that meant I had to stay out of the craft stores, avoid the craft aisle at Wal-Mart, and not visit any internet stores. I have to say, it was a freeing feeling to know that I would not be purchasing anything for those 30 days, and instead used and made do with what I had. I saved a lot of time and money, and it forced me to be more creative. I also have to say, I was really glad when it was over, too!
This is a great idea, and one I have done myself! It is tough...but remember that the stamps will still be there in a month, and if you really want them you can buy them!

This also forces you to use what you have and make do...

BTW, I do the same thing with clothes; I make myself go on 2-3 month shopping hiatuses where I buy no clothes for 2-3 months and make myself wear and be happy with that I have....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, if you crafty diva's would stop posting such great ideas, techniques, and beautiful cards, I wouldn't feel the need to HAVE to go out and buy more and more and more of the supplies, tools, stamps, etc., to try the things you post.

(Don't stop, please!!)
Reply With Quote Likes