Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I make thousands of cards per year...I send so many to the troops...then I have my other card ministries at the church. I SELL to two swim teams, 1250 each team one time per year. That nets me quite a bit of cash. My hubby keeps a basket on his desk at work that nets between $75.00 and $125.00 per week cash. More during holiday times. I use a lot of supplies for all these things I do so although my room is overflowing...into a second room now..lol I know that a lot of it gets used so I dont feel too guilty about buying more and new. I do spend a LOT of cash on stuff. Blessings.
Holy Smokes!

Congtats on your outstanding success. You should NOT be feeling guilt, you are using your stuff AND making some cash. Kudos to you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #122  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good place to buy Nestabilities/Spellbinders is at http://www.ucutathome.com/ . They have excellent sales and you can get a 40% off coupon for entering your name and email address. I bought a 4-pack from them with my 40% off coupon, and had no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #123  
Cardstock Collector

Red face Yikes

Too many of us, lol. Yes I'm guilty too and I too want to commend the brave one who started this thread. Its so bad I found myself with 3 cricut expressions. I sold one (thank God I was able too). Buying because I wanted the special cart that came with one then another because I wanted the color. Its very addictive. I have close to 100 cartridges and started to notice many of them are similar (birds, trees, wedding) with one different thing then I say Oh I just gotta have that. Wouldn't be so bad if I'd scrap more. Well if thats my only crime today guess I ain't too bad (I tell myself). I've promised I wasn't gonna buy another thing then something else comes out, or I get stressed out from work or something and say I have to treat myself. Its a never ending story. Oh well whats a scrapper to do. Glad I'm not alone.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #124  
Matboard Maniac

Default I know ......

exactly how you feel! Two years ago I decided to only buy adhesive because I have so much stuff, plus duplicates of stuff...

Then those darn Nestibilities came out and I knew I was doomed.

The only thing I haven't had the courage to get is the Cricut!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #125  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have really pared down my spending lately. I roughly calculated how much stuff I have in my scraproom and it kinda made me throw up in my mouth a bit. ;) I have to get a few things to run my business, without a doubt. But I do. not. need. everything. Lather, rince, repeat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #126  
Pearl-ExPert

I thought of this thread when I was reading this from Gail Vaz Oxlade's blog.
I wonder how many stamp sets out there never get inked :o

http://gailvazoxlade.com/blog/archives/1623
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #127  
Matboard Maniac

Default nestie purchases

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizLuceroView Post
A good place to buy Nestabilities/Spellbinders is at http://www.ucutathome.com/ . They have excellent sales and you can get a 40% off coupon for entering your name and email address. I bought a 4-pack from them with my 40% off coupon, and had no problems.
I've never tried them. I've been buying my nesties on sale for $15-16 a set US$. I prefer to get from e-stuff.ca since they are in Canada so the shipping is cheap and there's no duty, but I have bought from Custom Crops when there's a sale (I pay duty with them though). I've had my little splurge now, so I don't plan on buying more until at least fall. Then I'll save up, wait for a sale and buy the rest so I only have to pay shipping once.

I had heard buying nesties was addictive and it's true. It's like M&M's, you can't just have one. :rolleyes:

Honestly though, I can't think of too much else that I actually NEED now. I must learn to say no to CTMH sales if I don't need it. That way I have more money to buy movies! :oops: There is no doubt that I'm a collector there, LOL! Thank goodness I have no other vices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #128  
Matboard Maniac

Default never inked

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
I thought of this thread when I was reading this from Gail Vaz Oxlade's blog.
I wonder how many stamp sets out there never get inked :o

http://gailvazoxlade.com/blog/archives/1623
I always stamp mine out for my sample binder, does that count? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #129  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

That is one thing I am proud of is my stamp buying. I am soooo picky, lol. I just decluttered some stamps and they fit in a small sandwich bag. I am going to trade them. I only bought stamps that were my style. When I got back into stamping I was like "Oh, these babies are expensive, lol." I was very picky.

I did buy a couple of trends but also was picky. I guess I have seen too many stamps on the auction blocks that I understand they are really worth something.

Cricut's- I have a love/hate relationship with mine. No, not because of all the hoopla going on. I love the cartridges but I know I can set down and design those things. It's also nice to design on the Cricut DS or Gypsy. I can manipulate and make my own designs.

I guess you can tell I like design. I do agree with chinajo that some of the images are starting to look the same. Really, how many French Poodles does one need? Honestly there are three on the cartridges now.

My DH reminded me today that I worked hard on my craft room. I keep it extremely decluttered and I use everything in there. I need to be good and stop obsessing. He said he was the one that buys me these things. I am way too picky. If he didn't I would have one House Mouse stamp, color pencils and a scallop punch and that would be it. I thought "Well what is wrong with that?" ROFL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #130  
Stampin' Fool

I think one reason I buy so much stuff is that I don't get ideas from what I have on hand. I get the idea in my head and I can visualize what I want to make and it drives me crazy if I can't find what I need to create what I see in my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #131  
Cardstock Collector

Wow, I am so glad I have so many "sisters" out there. Sometimes I thought I needed a shrink to find out why, why, why... do I keep buying - but your comments helped. Here is my aha realization. I love to create, I love to learn, I love to search for new inspiration - but I also never quite have "what I need" to complete my projects... so I bought MORE. I started out very organized and put my tools and stamps on a database to keep track of my treasures. Trouble is- the db keeps reminding me of how many stamps and tools I have in my collection !!! About a year ago - I put myself on a "stamping diet". I started on a "fasting diet" and quit buying anything for almost a year. I told EVERYONE of my friends to help - and they did... bless them. Now I am still on a diet, but not fasting. Once I took stock of need vs. want... I realized I would only buy if I actually needed it (mostly ink and tape). I feel "healthier", Now I will put some of your ideas to good use and (1) get rid of the items that no longer fit into my stamping style. (2) get my room organized once again so I can enjoy being in there and (3) PROMISE here and now to SELL what I don't need and donate at least half of the $$ to charity. (4) keep you posted on my progress - It will help me be accountable
Thanks for your encouragement and great ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #132  
Inking Addict

I'm a bit late in responding to this, but if you happen to check your notes - I have a "game" that I play... I LOVE everything Nichole Heady makes for PTI. Each month she builds the anticipation for her new stamps sets and then at midnight on the 15th she opens the store for purchases. (this is evil as everyone knows most impulse shopping occurs at night, hence informercials).
I digress.
As she posts her new projects, I attempt to make them with something I already have. If I don't have the right coloured paper, I try a different combo. If I don't have the right stamp, I attempt it with a stamp image that I do have. PTI is coming out with a bunch of new dies, but I just cut my flowers and butterflies by hand. (I mean, is it really that hard to use scissors anymore?) Finish a project you love with stuff you already have. If you can't, then that's my justification to buy it.
It's a fun challenge, it curbs the "hunt" instinct by making you hunt through your own stuff, and it has cut down on my spending considerably.
Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #133  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to be smart about this hobby since we're both retired. I cut things like leaves and stems by hand. Draw my own grass with various green markers. Use neutral brads and simple buttons for embellishment and my stash of embroidery threads. I stay away from stickers, patterned ribbon, chunky embellishments, Primas, big paper packs, cheap edging scissors and colored glitter. Don't have a Cricut and don't plan to go digital. Have one homemade glimmer mist. Use ordinary dye ink pads for distressing and a thread cutter for edges. Have a few basic stamps and use a lot of them for backgrounds. Stamp with a Versamark pad, then regular ink, then use clear embossing powder so I don't need colored powders.

Over the last year I've invested in card stock, markers, punches, a Big Shot, Scor Pal and mat, heat tool, a large and smaller cutter and a few colored ink pads. I've got a tiny collection of solid colored ribbon in the basic colors (1 or 2 shades of a color work as well as 10) and PTI's buttons. Everything fits in or on one and a half shelves, a drawer, 2 repurposed plastic shoe boxes and 6 Sterlite drawer units. I work at my sewing machine table since it's big and has full drawers on one side. Sure, I'd love to redo the room and use my dad's old 50's wood desk for stamping, but I'm lazy right now.

When I decided to say no to so many things I felt liberated! I don't impulse buy at all either-I use coupons mostly for adhesives, embossing powder and cutting blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #134  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollybearView Post
I have decided it is not the stamps themselves that I am addicted to , but rather the anticipation of finding new stuff in my mail box and every day hoping that today will be the day they come. I open them excitedly and then immediately find myself overwhelmed. It is the strangest sort of high.
WOW, that is totally me too! I love coming home after a tough day and finding something fun in my mailbox. I have really slowed down over the last several months but I am feeling the urge to do some online shopping to help get me through this tough week of "after spring break" fever the kids are going to have! Maybe a new book wouldn't be so bad....:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #135  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshn'SassyView Post
(I mean, is it really that hard to use scissors anymore?)
When I got back into paper crafting I was scissor impaired. A toddler could cut better than I could. I was like "I desperately need a die cutting machine." I got the Pink WB the hour it appeared on HSN. I was so proud of it.

You know the analogy your hair always looks great when your going to the beauty shop? That's pretty much what happened to me. The day I got the WB in our power went out so I was cutting out some things I needed for a project. What happened? I started cutting like an expert. Now, I have mad scissor skills, lol.

Your right it's really not that hard to use scissors any more. I love it. I love to cut. I still have my die cut machines.

Today I went to Michael's. My DH wanted me to have Once Upon A Princess. Ok, I wanted it too. There I admit it. I love Kawai'i. That cart is full of Kawai'i. There were so many things I could have picked up. I really wanted too. I walked out with my cartridge and that's it. I realized the other day I am using my Cricut's for fabric crafting. They have become sewing tools. Poor little things haven't seen paper at all for a few months.

Your right about the scissor analogy. I think scissors are cool.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #136  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3000View Post
Thanks for that link. My son went to Pine Ridge on a youth mission trip from our school and it made a huge impact on him. He loved working with the kids and those kids are so happy with anything the get because they have hardly anything! A very worth cause.
The teachers appreciate it too. Even small donations of supplies really help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #137  
Hardware Hotshot

If any of you are interested in being in a blog group for support and enouragment please check out this post.. I am looking for encouraging blog buddies!

thanks!
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #138  
Cardstock Collector

I justify my not using my stuff by saying I am storing up for when my kids are older. Then I will have time to use it. Not good one but it works forme. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #139  
Insane Embellisher

Check with your area high schools, too. My MIL gave me a huge box of very outdated scrapbook supplies. I asked one of our art teachers and she said they'd be thrilled!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #140  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I make thousands of cards per year...I send so many to the troops...then I have my other card ministries at the church. I SELL to two swim teams, 1250 each team one time per year. That nets me quite a bit of cash. My hubby keeps a basket on his desk at work that nets between $75.00 and $125.00 per week cash. More during holiday times. I use a lot of supplies for all these things I do so although my room is overflowing...into a second room now..lol I know that a lot of it gets used so I dont feel too guilty about buying more and new. I do spend a LOT of cash on stuff. Blessings.
So I was inspired by your work basket. My husband works with a team that is not local so he doesn't really talk to people at work. (A situation I just became aware of and seems horribly depressing to me, but he doesn't mind.) Anyhow my BFF offered to take them instead. I made $12 the first day. Nothing sense then, but still it was fun to make a tiny spot of cash.

Um... I did order some stuff recently though. But I'm going to USE it, so that's ok right? My issue isn't really the spending, it's the spending then NOT using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #141  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Erin....as word spreads that she has the cards...your profits will increase...I have a friend who works at a school. She is not a teacher but some kind of aid. She has been averaging $80.00 per week from her basket...It is such easy money....Good luck to you as you start to sell LOTS more cards because I really believe it will happen...especially around holidays.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #142  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
When I got back into paper crafting I was scissor impaired. A toddler could cut better than I could. I was like "I desperately need a die cutting machine." I got the Pink WB the hour it appeared on HSN. I was so proud of it.

You know the analogy your hair always looks great when your going to the beauty shop? That's pretty much what happened to me. The day I got the WB in our power went out so I was cutting out some things I needed for a project. What happened? I started cutting like an expert. Now, I have mad scissor skills, lol.

Your right it's really not that hard to use scissors any more. I love it. I love to cut. I still have my die cut machines.

Today I went to Michael's. My DH wanted me to have Once Upon A Princess. Ok, I wanted it too. There I admit it. I love Kawai'i. That cart is full of Kawai'i. There were so many things I could have picked up. I really wanted too. I walked out with my cartridge and that's it. I realized the other day I am using my Cricut's for fabric crafting. They have become sewing tools. Poor little things haven't seen paper at all for a few months.

Your right about the scissor analogy. I think scissors are cool.
Whats Kawaii?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #143  
Die Cut Diva

I am really tired so I hope this Wiki explains all: Cuteness in Japanese culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a Japanese art form. You see it a lot in Japanese modern culture. I hope that helps. Sorry, I was not more helpful but if I explained it now it would make no sense.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #144  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks, I will read it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #145  
Matboard Maniac

I know what you mean!
Other than what I acquire for my DT work, I don't even buy stamps except maybe 3-4 sets a year. There is something special about picking and choosing those sets and then ripping them open and using them as soon as the package hits the porch!
Having unused supplies does make me sad and it makes me feel uninspired. You'd think having more would help you, but in my case, it hinders me. I am more creative and excited when I have an smaller amount I can work with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #146  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Been there done that as well......

Two years ago I tried to stop buying anything but adhesive (I only do cards). Then those darn Nesties came out and I got the basic shapes of the circle, oval, and squares.

Then after years of studying the Cricut, I decided to get the small basic one.

Like you, I have found that the excitment was in the search and immediate use. To make matters worse, I was spending more time doing this hobby than being a good wife and mother.

So, now, I am scaling back the time I spend on this hobby, getting out my older stamps (some of my favorite cards were made with my dollar stamps), and spending more time with my family.

I think we are all in the same boat, but I just needed to prioritize!

Merry Christmas and blessings to all!

Beaglelover

Last edited by Beaglelover; 12-24-2010 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #147  
Gabfest Goddess

Beaglelove, I know what you mean. For me, I find that when I am off work, (school breaks, like now) I can really have fun. I do housework, cook early in the day, then I play. When I have the house to myself, I play, undisturbed. But when school is in session, (I also take classes) it is much harder to play. Which is also why I stopped doing swaps, no time. I signed up for one, and will finish it before school starts, so no worries there, and I can enjoy creating.

I agree, the joy of searching, finding great sales, buying, causes immediate satisfaction. But I have to say, I am conservative about spending money. Which is one reason I don't have nestibilities. I decided it was more cost effective to buy SCAL for the cricut, then spend money on each new shape I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #148  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I have decided it is not the stamps themselves that I am addicted to , but rather the anticipation of finding new stuff in my mail box and every day hoping that today will be the day they come. I open them excitedly and then immediately find myself overwhelmed. It is the strangest sort of high.
I know the feeling! Am waiting on two packages. One from Joann's, Post-It adhesive craft paper, and Paper Mojo, some pretty paper. Keep going to the door checking for the sight or sound of a delivery truck. I doesn't help that I am home with time on my hands! Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #149  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, an older thread that's got some great ideas. I've been at this for about 10 years, and at first I spent like a drunken sailor on shore leave. I would go to stamp expos and drop hundreds of dollars without blinking. I dropped so much money on SU in the beginning, too.

My spending has slowed a lot. I'm not often tempted by the latest tool, technique, or trend. My SU demo has been trying to get me to buy a Big Shot for several years, and I refuse. I'm happy with stamps, a paper cutter, and a pair of scissors. I did just order an ATG, after reading how much people seem to like it.

I'm now trying to use what I have. I have so many retired paper colors, and am not allowing myself to buy more paper until I use up a lot of what I have. My Christmas cards used up several retired colors entirely. I also made my own candy bars, and wrapped them in retired papers.

I'm also going to try to make a couple of new cards a week. This will be a big increase in my card production. I don't actually make a lot of cards, and they are usually made at the very last minute.

I have a catalog of all of the stamp images I own. I'm going to flip through it, and choose an image or two that strikes my fancy. Hopefully this will help me use images that I haven't yet used.

I'm going to start by making a 2011 calendar with birthdays and important events. And then I'm going to make cards for birthdays, weddings, and for no reason at all.

And I think I just found my 2011 resolution. :smile:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #150  
Rubber Obsessor

Which is one reason I don't have nestibilities. I decided it was more cost effective to buy SCAL for the cricut, then spend money on each new shape I need.[/QUOTE]

Go to this link:Penny Duncan Creations

This wonderful lady has SVG files of many Nestie shapes. They are called Shaplies. Use these with your SCAL and you can make your own nesties for free!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #151  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristipapercreatioView Post
Which is one reason I don't have nestibilities. I decided it was more cost effective to buy SCAL for the cricut, then spend money on each new shape I need.
"Go to this link:Penny Duncan Creations

This wonderful lady has SVG files of many Nestie shapes. They are called Shaplies. Use these with your SCAL and you can make your own nesties for free![/QUOTE]"

Oh I love her creations! Have many that I use in my SCAL program! Highly recommend this site too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #152  
Gabfest Goddess

I was confused! I knew that quote sounded familiar, then I quoted my quote after you quoted it! Too funny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #153  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you for introducing me to Penny Duncan Creations. This is a wonderful site. Penny is obviously a wonderful lady too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #154  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts
Smile

I would occasionally go through spells of wanting to "purge" stuff and get rid of things, and then spells of accumulating things. One day a friend asked me, why I got rid of things. She said she does'nt, because later you only go out and replace those things with something else. I could see the logic of what she was saying, and it was true. So for scrapbooking and other areas, I am keeping my "stuff" and just trying not to bring in more. Plus, I don't want to get rid of something and regret it later, so I am very picky about what I am getting and what I am getting rid of. I've recently got excited about using supplies I haven't used in a long time. I tend to get tired of certain styles or techniques and like change, so it will help will that also. Having a smaller area helps also. I can tell myself truthfully that I have no place left to put it!
I also have fabric and stuff I have yet to use. I did "fall off the wagon" recently and bought some cricut cartridges, but they were such a great sale, and I had been drooling over them for some time. Now I have myself on spending lockdown.
I look at how people did without in the past and used their ingenuity to make what they needed. I want to appreciate what I have and not "want" more! I just need to use my imagination more and spend less.
I do want to thank those of you who post blogs and share free digis and also post your cards or projects. Looking at that keeps me occupied also, and I am not as tempted to waste time looking for stuff. Plus, it cuts down on my spending and helps me see how I can adapt what I have to make the projects shown.
I think just staying out of the stores and off the shopping websites will help the most! I have one friend that sells for a particular company, and I will occasionally buy something from her, but that's all I can afford to do, and even then, it has to be something I can really use.
I agree also with what one of the posters said about the economy. Maybe if I continue to take a good look around and see how many are struggling, I will be reminded of how I need to be thrifty and appreciate what I have. I don't like being someone that constantly "consumes". It goes against the tree-hugger in me. When I bought paper this past year, I bought the majority of it from others that were getting out of scrapbooking. No sense in needlessly killing more trees to make paper for me to play with, when this had already been bought and wouldn't be replaced if I bought it.
I also like what Suze Ormon (so spelt wrong!) says. She says buying on credit is a lie. You lie to yourself to tell yourself you can afford it when you can't, and she also says "People first"!
I have to watch out for spending splurges if I get really stressed. For some reason, that is a real trigger for me!

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 12-26-2010 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #155  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Last year I did a major purge of all the things I was hoarding. My motto was "Use it or Loose It". I sold, donated, and gave away all the things I truly never used. It was awful seeing how much money I lost but what I gained in extra space was wonderful. I also no longer had all these reminders of things I was not using. What I do now to keep from getting back to the same place is:

Before I buy I have to have multiple uses for a stamp. No more buying because "maybe" I'll use it, just because it's cute, etc.

No hoarding paper. I hated to cut into a sheet of yummy paper but then after awhile it's outdated or I loose interest. Now I buy it and cut it.

I switched to storing almost everything by color in one place. I have iris project boxes for each color group and this helps me to know what I have. In the box goes embossing powder, a box with all the red embellsihments (buttons, eyelets, etc.), paint, etc. When I get ready to buy something I think of what is in the box and I realizie I already have something similar so I don't buy something new.

When I get ready to make a new item I shop my room first. It helps that I'm pretty organized and I will only buy if there is really and truly nothing I can use instead of buying new.

I go back to the basics. In the "old" days we made our own background paper and embellishments. Now instead of buying I try to make it myself.

And finally - I stop letting myself be swayed by the latest hot craze here on SCS or in the magazines. I watch to see if it's really a great product. When I cleaned out my stamproom I had several products I bought because it sounded so great and in the end was a piece of junk or not for my stamping style. I find that if it's truly great, it stays around but the latest fad is gone and you'll see it listed in the threads of "why did I buy this".

This past year I spent more than enough on stamping but what I bought I don't feel guilty about it because I actually used it. I'm looking forward to another year of use it or loose it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #156  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Last year I did a major purge of all the things I was hoarding. My motto was "Use it or Loose It". I sold, donated, and gave away all the things I truly never used. It was awful seeing how much money I lost but what I gained in extra space was wonderful. I also no longer had all these reminders of things I was not using. What I do now to keep from getting back to the same place is:

Before I buy I have to have multiple uses for a stamp. No more buying because "maybe" I'll use it, just because it's cute, etc.

No hoarding paper. I hated to cut into a sheet of yummy paper but then after awhile it's outdated or I loose interest. Now I buy it and cut it.

I switched to storing almost everything by color in one place. I have iris project boxes for each color group and this helps me to know what I have. In the box goes embossing powder, a box with all the red embellsihments (buttons, eyelets, etc.), paint, etc. When I get ready to buy something I think of what is in the box and I realizie I already have something similar so I don't buy something new.

When I get ready to make a new item I shop my room first. It helps that I'm pretty organized and I will only buy if there is really and truly nothing I can use instead of buying new.

I go back to the basics. In the "old" days we made our own background paper and embellishments. Now instead of buying I try to make it myself.

And finally - I stop letting myself be swayed by the latest hot craze here on SCS or in the magazines. I watch to see if it's really a great product. When I cleaned out my stamproom I had several products I bought because it sounded so great and in the end was a piece of junk or not for my stamping style. I find that if it's truly great, it stays around but the latest fad is gone and you'll see it listed in the threads of "why did I buy this".

This past year I spent more than enough on stamping but what I bought I don't feel guilty about it because I actually used it. I'm looking forward to another year of use it or loose it.
Are you my long-lost twin? I could have written this!

I think those of us who find "our" style experience something like this in our relationship to hoarding/purchasing/purging/buying. Those who enjoy lots of different styles experience something different, as the post before yours indicates!

Golly, I love this hobby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #157  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I look at it this way--I only buy a couple of pair of shoes a year and a basic wardrobe, I don't drink or smoke. I don't go on cruises. My furniture is antiques I have found deals on. I never buy a new car--only used. I pay cash for everything so no interest. 60% of what I buy is with coupons or on sale. We have all the basics plus savings and retirement accounted for. I work hard, very hard. My stamping is cheaper than therapy (actually a lie, but it works for me, LOL). I rarely eat out, probably see no more than 3-4 movies a year. I don't have a cell phone, cable, satellite, or any of those things. I heat with wood.

My point: PRIORITIES--and stamping gets to be near top of my list. And yes, I probably do spend too much, but it makes my life joyous!!
Pollybear- You sound like me, seriously. DH & I are empty nester's now so we do eat out a lot but it's cheaper for us than buying groceries. I am really frugal and hate wasting things. Food just goes to waste here now.

We only buy used cars. DH is a car guy and loves to rebuild. Pay cash for everything. Use coupons constantly, shop thrift and outlets. DH loves to invest and I study frugality.

My computer and craft room keep me highly entertained so I don't spend money on entertainment. I get everything free at the library.

Took me a long time to develop my style. Now, I love my craft room. I am picky. I love it. !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #158  
Stampin' Fool

Default too too much?

I haven't read every page of this thread, but I have been thinking about this concept for a long time. I am in my fifties, born in the fifties and I grew up in a small house in the city. There were five kids and mom and dad in the house, and we didn't have nearly the amount of stuf that people have today. I was not a deprived child in the least. I have reached the age where I think a bit longer about purchases. Not that I don't buy, I do, but more selectively.

My middle DD recently moved and she said that she gave away 10 bags of clothing to Goodwill. She follows every trend and is perpetually short on cash. I thought about the amount of money that 10 bags of clothes would represent. Last night as we were cruising on the net, she was looking at dresses to go to a concert. I asked her why she didn't wear something she already had. Well, that was a lame suggestion!

We have become a culture of ultra consumers, buying the latest because it's the latest. I get so discouraged at times, thinking about the amount of nearly new stuff that is routinely discarded becasue a newer and better model came out. Think phones, computers and other electronic devices. This rapid pace is lining someone's pocket, certainly not mine. Maybe it's the age that I have reached, but I would rather pare down than buy a lot more.

Well, that 's my story, at least until the new mini catalog gets to my house! I think I will try Craig's list this year, as I have several bags of items that I have pulled from my collection, and I'm sure that I could come up with more. Maybe that will be my resolution for 2011.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #159  
Gabfest Goddess

On purging: There was actually a swap that "required" the use of things long possessed, but never used, be in the project. That was fun, and I "had" to use some items that I had been holding onto and had never used! Fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #160  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

You are a wise person and I like your outlook. I think it is easy to get caught up in the latest craze and buy,buy,buy. I am guilty of this too. I look at all of my stuff sometimes and I have TOO many choices and it overwhelms me. I think it stifles creativity to have so much at your disposal. I am trying to get back to basics and use what I have a get rid of things I don't need or won't use. Hopefully I'll save some money in the process.
Reply With Quote Likes