Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #81  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm right there with so many of you... I've been stamping for about 12 years now, plus still had bits & pieces left from my previous creative pursuits (anyone else remember making dolls from mops?! :rolleyes

I have been sorting through my stash and have BOXES of things that I'm selling off... and anything that doesn't sell will be donated because I don't want to be looking at this stuff anymore! It's nice to actually create things rather than using all my time locating supplies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarar20View Post
Very interesting ready ladies! I would love for people to post links to schools or organizations that would appreciate donations of used but usable crafting supplies. I, for one, would be happy to sent them stuff that I bought and didn't use a lot, or items that I used a lot and am tired of, so others could continue to enjoy them.
It's soooo expensive to ship stuff! I found a local place (women's shelter) that was more than happy to take my stuff - plus it's tax deductible (which at least helps ease a bit of the guilt of buying so much shtuff!)
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope that anyone who is ENJOYING spending/shopping a lot isn't feeling bad. I mean if you have the money and you enjoy it, whether you use it or not doesn't matter. Nothing wrong with being a collector if you enjoy that ya know? I wouldn't want anyone to feel like they SHOULD feel bad.

I think we can help each other with the senseless spending a lot of us seem to do. But if anyone reading this is having a good time spending and has the money and such no need to feel guilty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #83  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Me Too {hand in the air} Me Too!!

I�m coming up on three years in this wonderful, addicting hobby, and I am right with ya! I am a hobby stamper, so I don�t make cards to sell; I make them to send to family and friends.

I�m an accountant, so when I looked at what I have spent over that time, I realized I was really out of control. So I decided to take inventory of my stuff. Most of it is SU cardstock and DSP as well as a ton of stamps from SU and many other companies.

So after listing my inventory (many things still brand new) I started searching the gallery using key words for items I have. Now I have tons of files downloaded with all kinds of ideas and the ideas keep growing.

I also have taken to using my computer to print my sentiments for the inside of cards. I have a couple of software packages that allow me to be very creative with different fonts for a single word if I like!

Now that I have lots of inspiration and alternatives, I don�t feel deprived and I�m very content using what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #84  
Stampin' Fool

I made this up at lunch time today. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #85  
Hardware Hotshot

I buy a few new paper packs occasionally (because they are so hard to resist) but I tried to quit telling myself that i NEEDED every new tool that came out...those things get pricey FAST.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #86  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I really can relate to everyone here...I have been stamping for 2 1/2 years, but you would never know from looking at my room. People are amazed at my collection! I have this problem, I have to have it all!!! I know this is an addiction and I need to stop. I will go into Joann's with a 40% coupon now and walk around and say I don't need anything else, I think I have it all! ;-) I don't even know what to do with all of the cards I have made...I think I will donate them or try to sell them for a charity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #87  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
My new motto: Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without.
That's a great motto!

Unplanned layoff here has really "helped" or rather caused me to halt the excess and see-it-get-it style. But otherwise, I can SO relate to this group! What a tricky problem for stampers!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #88  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali

The coupons are for that you will be buying more.
I am 77 years old and my studio is full of inks,paints, silk for painting etc.etc.
Slowly I tidy up and throw things out. In Bali, there are no stampers so I cannot give it away. I do not like my daughter lateron to do all the cleaning up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #89  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My problem is one mentioned several times, that I save the really good stuff and don't use it. Sometimes I use ugly papers because I have them because I can't bear to throw them away and then I don't like the project I made. Or, after a few years, the stuff I used to love isn't as appealing as before. When I was diagnosed with a disease a year ago, one of my first thoughts was, "I'd better use up my good paper and stuff." I think this comes from my grandma who would always say, "That's too pretty to use!" Glad to hear I'm not the only one.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #90  
Compulsive Stamper

Default GUILT F ROM OVER-ACQUIRING, OVER-SPENDING ON CRAFT SUPPLIES

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT THREAD; ONE IN WHICH MANY OF US CAN IDENTIFY. SOME OF THE SUGGESTIONS TO STOP THE 'INSANITY' OF ACQUISITION ARE VERY USEFUL AND WISE.

I SPENT NEARLY 15 MINUTES ON THIS THREAD AND, WHEN I THOUGHT I HAD COME TO THE END, THERE WERE ANOTHER 2 PAGES. I WILL REVIEW THOSE ANOTHER DAY.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR OPENNESS IN DEALING WITH WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE A REAL PROBLEM; OVER-ACQUIRING, HOARDING, SPENDING, BUYING..........and the list goes on.

Merine in Boise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #91  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am so happy to see this thread is still active. It really has helped me reading a lot of the stories. I was looking at my craft room last night. It's just gorgeous. I am so proud of it but I definitely can declutter more.

I'm a smart girl. I have no debt, can afford to buy things and I love and inspired by my stash. I love, love, love SU's colors. Just love them to death. I was going to become an SU demo because I knew I would use all the colors till I would be desperate for supplies. Then SU announced they are releasing a new color line.

I am so happy for them. I know they update every ten years or something like that. The colors are gorgeous they are not my style. There you go no SU demo from me. Luckily, I have a great demo I can order from for other things. It got me thinking last night "Oh no, I will have to buy the new color markers to fill out my collection. I am going to have to get the reinkers and blah, blah, blah."

Why do I need to do this? I have the colors I want. It got me thinking about my gorgeous craft room. I can declutter some more. I need to stop panicky about filling out my collections.

I have a lovely electronic die cutter I highly recommend. I love this thing but I can't get it to auto vector correctly. Math is not my strong suit. I know I am missing something when I am trying to do vectoring. I have another die cutter that vectors perfectly. I have been spending weeks trying to get this thing to auto vector correctly. Why? It's moronic. It's the computer geek in me that has a need to out think a machine. I rather be crafting than out thinking. I sketch a lot of my designs so when I import them to be cut I want it to be perfect. I guess I wouldn't give up because I was frustrated.

I made new crafting goals.

No more filling out collections.
No more fighting with tools. Use only tools that I am good at working.
If I can make it then the bought items are going to be sold. I can buy proper "for me" tools to make things.

I hope that helps somebody. I know wordy again. Thank you all who followed me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #92  
Rubber Obsessor

You are so lucky that you can design your own stamps. have you ever thought to put your design into digi stamps. You can make some money and buy some more stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #93  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jogrybaliView Post
You are so lucky that you can design your own stamps. have you ever thought to put your design into digi stamps. You can make some money and buy some more stuff.
I have seriously thought about it. I have friends urging me to do it. It's one of the reasons why I am scaling back my craft room.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #94  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Dee Ann,
Personally I think the digistamps are special for me who live in Bali, where there are no craftshops and no stampers, the future. I can order from the net and have the stamps within 1 day or sooner. No cupboards needed than only your PC
Have a think about this.
Greetings,
Jogry/bali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #95  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up Thanks for speaking the truth!

I thought I was alone in this quest to have the perfect....stamp, paper or just about whatever. I have halted my spending to my stamp club only until I run out essentials. In fact, last weekend I have a 50% off coupon for Micheal's that I didn't use!:p That took willpower. I am so glad that you spoke the truth. It is good to have a laugh with fellow stampers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #96  
Rubber Obsessor

My DH half jokingly says "stuff goes in there, but nothing ever comes out!" I'm afraid to use beautiful supplies in case whatever I make doesn't turn out well...don't want to give any of the cards that turned out good for fear that I may never make another that turns out well and will need them for CASEing my own card!! Plus, I may make one card with a stamp set - so basically that card could cost me upwards of $15 to make! Funny thing is I am well aware of that fact that this is all ridiculous...but yet I continue to hoard. Definitely reeks havoc on my mojo! Wish I could stop the insanity! Baby steps I suppose...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
I totally know what you mean. I have recently felt the same way, the guilt and all. I too have so much unopened items I have bought, that I thought I NEEDED to only find out I did not really need it at all.
Here's where it gets good though, I am making it up to myself..
#1 I challenged myself not to buy 1 single thing until I have used every stamps & product I own in some way. I tell you I have been keeping busy and the fun of this hobby is coming back.

#2 Stay off online stores. If I get an e-mail about a sale or new release, I delete it before even reading it. That include passing up the physical locations too.

#3 to help with the creative side and use only what I have on hand, I have been searching the gallery for things made using only the stamps I already own.

I hope you feel better, and once you put your things to use you won't feel so guilty.
Thank you for these ideas - especially #1. I am going to make that my new rule!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #98  
Glitter Queen

Default Make two of the same cards at time

When I make cards I make a duplicate so when I send one, I still have one as a sample. If I find that I can't part with the original in the event of sending out the second, I just CASE it then.

This strategy has saved me when I need a card in a hurry since I already have a stash that I am happy with. It also uses twice the supplies.

Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #99  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

All of this rings with resonance for me, I have loved crafting, but I have found in times of stress I go into shopping meltdown, I lost both my parents in the past 5 years, and emigrated to a new country, and my craft room is heaving! I believe I have an addictive personality, I tend to things in an all or nothing fashion, I enjoy the hunt but I have things I have never touched.

I read about an idea, somewhere on some blog, sometime (;)) about going shopping in your craft room, get a box or a bag or basket and go through and select a couple of sheets of dp, some embellishments, a stamp or stamp set and create a card or layout. I also find that a good clean up in my room helps me rediscover forgotten tools, dp, embellishments etc....i did some yesterday and came across about 10 fancy cut scissors (remember those!) so today I am going to make something using those scissors!

But I don't want anyone to think that I am condemning people indulging in their passion, far from it, but I have come to personal realisation that what I was doing was not healthy, it was to the extreme.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #100  
Rubber Obsessor

Wishfulthinking, try taking a photo of your creations and posting them to the gallery here or on a photo site - then send out the originals. The oohs and ahhs from the recipients are well worth it!

Or you could also draw a simple card sketch showing the shapes and dimensions which you could file with a photo for later to CASE it.
That has worked well for me to help me let go of my cards.

Also, I've learned to make multiples of my cards so that I have lots to sell or give away. That would help use your stamps for more than one card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #101  
Insane Embellisher

Lylacfey - you used the word "vector" in a paragraph! Gotta' love it! Can you tell I'm a math person??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #102  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Address for Pine Ridge Indian Reservation

Can I get the address of the school? Sounds like a really good solution to my problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
Most of us feel that way from time to time. It's so easy to make impulse purchases with all the great enabler alerts posted here on SCS.

I have a bad habit of using stamps/paper to make a few projects then I tend to put them away and forget about them. I find it's good to go through my stuff and purge the excess at least once a year. Instead of selling the stuff for a fraction of what I paid, I decided this year to give the excess away to those places who I felt could make better use of it.

Recently I donated a bunch of stamps to Operation Write Home to use as prizes. I also sent 3 boxes of used stamps, ink pads and other supplies from my craft room to the schools on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation. It's one of the poorest school districts in the US and the teachers are always looking for stamps and paper supplies for the kids. By giving away the excess and helping the kids who have so little, I feel much better. Less clutter and now I have the extra storage space so I can get some new stuff when the next great sale is posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #103  
Compulsive Stamper

Default You are not alone...

This is a great thread. I have paper that I can't cut! Can you believe it! My craft club members have suggested that I look at my supplies in a different way. The sooner I deplete my supplies, I can buy more. Sounds good, but I haven't gotten there yet.
Quote:

Originally Posted by wishfulthinkerView Post
My DH half jokingly says "stuff goes in there, but nothing ever comes out!" I'm afraid to use beautiful supplies in case whatever I make doesn't turn out well...don't want to give any of the cards that turned out good for fear that I may never make another that turns out well and will need them for CASEing my own card!! Plus, I may make one card with a stamp set - so basically that card could cost me upwards of $15 to make! Funny thing is I am well aware of that fact that this is all ridiculous...but yet I continue to hoard. Definitely reeks havoc on my mojo! Wish I could stop the insanity! Baby steps I suppose...

Last edited by charris123; 04-08-2010 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: word smithing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #104  
Matboard Maniac

I am shaking my head to this whole thread. I do not have a lot, but a most of what I bought I am not sure I see myself using.

I have decided to try to sell what I know I will not use, donate what I can not sell. The things I am going to use, I have been spending time searching the gallery looking for ideas to use them.

I think part of my hesitation with creating is that I will mail a card to someone and they will just see it as silly that I made it. This is something I really need to just get over though. I really do love creating and coloring, so I just need to find the time and courage to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #105  
Hardware Hotshot

Try checking out the Cards for a Cause thread here:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I send them cards when I can and it makes me feel good knowing they will go to someone who will appreciate them and that somene made them a card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin's MomView Post
I am shaking my head to this whole thread. I do not have a lot, but a most of what I bought I am not sure I see myself using.

I have decided to try to sell what I know I will not use, donate what I can not sell. The things I am going to use, I have been spending time searching the gallery looking for ideas to use them.

I think part of my hesitation with creating is that I will mail a card to someone and they will just see it as silly that I made it. This is something I really need to just get over though. I really do love creating and coloring, so I just need to find the time and courage to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #106  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I have decided to try to sell what I know I will not use, donate what I can not sell.
"Pumpkin's Mom" it sounds like you are well on your way. I think you are on step 9.

THE SUPPLY COLLECTORS TWELVE STEPS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #107  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for posting this again, I am going to print it out and put it up in my craft room to keep me real. You're starting a new movement here, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

Update:

I've been using stuff. I mean really good stuff, Cosmo Cricket chipboard stickers, cool flowers, rub ons I can't replace. And it's been good. I'm having fun. And so what if I'm out of an embelishment, still better on a card than on a shelf.

I strongly encourage everyone to use their very BEST stuff, it's fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #109  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by charris123View Post
Can I get the address of the school? Sounds like a really good solution to my problem.
Sent you a pm, but thought I would post the link here too:

http://friendsofpineridgereservation...Supplies.shtml
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #110  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's funny, as I read this I think...to much stuff? I live in a tiny house. 952 sq. feet. Yup...small. So, my ability to buy has been kept in tight reign. I have 4 rubbermaid bins (the ones that slide under the bed), and I have my stamps in two of them, embellisments in one, and odds and ends in another and one that holds the plastic pencil cases that have a container with scissors, tapes and ahdesives etc). Then I have 2 extra large shoe boxes that hold (1)punches (2) markers, embossing powder and my watercolor pencils) adn one misc. bin. I also have one portable tower that my paper is in. Everything has a small space that when not being used goes back into the closet.

When it is out, it looks like someone went nuts and dumped out a garbage truck, but when it is put away it takes up little space.

I find for me the lack of room has kept me well within my budget. HOWEVER, it has also limited my creativity in that, I have to plan 45 mins to take everything out and organize, which is on my dining room table. Then it takes 1.5 to put it all away and make sure it goes away organized again. It's frustrating, but for now...it's life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #111  
Rubber Obsessor

Congratulations, you must feel very proud of yourself. Before I want to buy something, I ask my self, do you really need it!! If the answer is no, I do not buy. This goes for everything, clothes, little nick nacks etc.
Also with my stuff, I go through it now and than, ask myself. Did you use it in the last 6 months, did you miss it? If the answer is no, it goes!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #112  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
Lylacfey - you used the word "vector" in a paragraph! Gotta' love it! Can you tell I'm a math person??
Your going to love it again. I nailed the vectoring in my program that was giving me fits. I so envy you. I am terrible at match except budgeting.

It was user error. I needed to use the interpolation tool. It was right in my face too.

After I nailed it I was jumping up and down, dancing, had to make more files, lol.

Now, I can declutter six die cut machines that I have been holding on to as a crutch. I am so excited.

I have decided to go for it and design my own cut files and digi stamp line. I don't care if I succeed or fail just as long as it's fun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #113  
Rubber Obsessor

Congratulations with your decision. Looking forward to see you digis. Never tried, never gained.
Jogry/Bali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 03:23 AM   #114  
Embossing Fanatic

What a timely topic for me. I'm new to this hobby... only since January or so. Just yesterday I was unpacking some of my new stuff and got the overwhelming feeling that this is already out of hand.

I'm not the most original or creative person in the first place, and I was drawn to stamping (cards) because the stamps do the drawing for me. But in trying to determine my "style", I've jumped from technique to technique and haven't settled on a thing yet.

Your comments have helped me so much - to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way... but also to understand better that I should proceed with caution.

Stamping is the first new craft I've really been this interested in for a long time. I don't want to lose my enthusiasm before I find my style.

A friend, and fellow stamper said her husband told her she'd be better off (financially) if she'd just bought Hallmark cards and put $100 bills in them.

I think I know what he means........!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #115  
Insane Embellisher

I, too, have had trouble parting with cards once they're made. I made some thank yous for girls I work with for a plant when Mom passed, and several are stuck up on walls - which makes me smile. It also made me realize that they can make people happy - much happier than they do sitting in a box in my craft room. I have a huge box-full, and just decided that it's time to start sending them to people. Today, there is a card in the mail to a girlfriend who just cancelled her wedding.

I have now adjusted my thinking – cards can make people happy twice. They make me happy when I make them, and they make someone else happy when they receive them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #116  
Hardware Hotshot

I take a pic of every card I make and usually post on my blog and if not they are still in my iphoto to look at... I can sort my pics in iphoto by tag so I can easily go thru and see all the oned I have made and it helps me see what sorts of things I tend to use over and over and things I never use... I love getting cards for "no reason" so will try to send more out for "no reason" too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
I, too, have had trouble parting with cards once they're made. I made some thank yous for girls I work with for a plant when Mom passed, and several are stuck up on walls - which makes me smile. It also made me realize that they can make people happy - much happier than they do sitting in a box in my craft room. I have a huge box-full, and just decided that it's time to start sending them to people. Today, there is a card in the mail to a girlfriend who just cancelled her wedding.

I have now adjusted my thinking � cards can make people happy twice. They make me happy when I make them, and they make someone else happy when they receive them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #117  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

A friend, and fellow stamper said her husband told her she'd be better off (financially) if she'd just bought Hallmark cards and put $100 bills in them

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #118  
Stazon Splitcoast

I make thousands of cards per year...I send so many to the troops...then I have my other card ministries at the church. I SELL to two swim teams, 1250 each team one time per year. That nets me quite a bit of cash. My hubby keeps a basket on his desk at work that nets between $75.00 and $125.00 per week cash. More during holiday times. I use a lot of supplies for all these things I do so although my room is overflowing...into a second room now..lol I know that a lot of it gets used so I dont feel too guilty about buying more and new. I do spend a LOT of cash on stuff. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #119  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
Sent you a pm, but thought I would post the link here too:

http://friendsofpineridgereservation...Supplies.shtml
Thanks for that link. My son went to Pine Ridge on a youth mission trip from our school and it made a huge impact on him. He loved working with the kids and those kids are so happy with anything the get because they have hardly anything! A very worth cause.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #120  
Matboard Maniac

I am relatively new to this hobby. I've wanted to scrapbook for years, but never knew how and had nothing to do it with and no money to spend on supplies. Eventually, I bought a Tina Louise kit through my book club and was excited to receive it. I figured everything matched so it would be easy. My alcoholic ex during one of his binges was watching the shopping channel and bought two more kits (forgetting I'd already bought one) for over $200 (gasp, I only paid $35). I also bought a bit of cardstock and a few punches from Michaels and a scrapbooking book or two, so I figured I'd be set. I looked at the books and felt overwhelmed and never did anything.

A few years and a divorce later, I attended a CTMH party and fell in love with cardmaking. I spent a HUGE amount of money with them (mostly on stamps with buy 2 get 1 free sales) and a HUGE amount on e-Bay (Cricut, 14 cartridges, brads and eyelets by the thousands) all without knowing what I was doing, 'cause it sounded like I could do "LOTS" with it. I've since come to realize that I hate the Tina Louise kits (I gave one away to a girl who couldn't afford supplies), I have some sort of real aversion to using the Cricut and have only used it twice, and most of the brads, Michael's paper, dollar store purchases etc don't match each other or my CTMH colours. Solution: stick to one company, CTMH, so my money's not wasted on stuff that I can't really use and don't buy tools, etc unless I will honestly use them.

I still spend too much, but I finally have enough cardstock and ink pads that I can make something and have enough basics to complete the project. My stamp wish list is very small now and most of the ones I have my eye on I don't really need. Eventually I will get re-inkers for my pads, but I pretty much have what I need from CTMH now (or so I tell myself 'til another sale comes along).

This has allowed me to put my money towards another area that my "stash" was insufficient. I invested in the BS and find it is much more to my taste than the Cricut. I've been spending HUGE amounts of money in the last month or so buying some dies, replacement plates, etc and 22 sets of nesties (big tax refund and a profit sharing cheque). I still have some nesties on my list, but I can work with what I have. (After the first five sets of nesties arrived I tried to make stuff and found I didn't buy the right shapes for many of the stamps I wanted to use on my current projects).

It is very hard for someone starting out that doesn't know what they're doing. You spend money foolishly. I still have a long way to go to find my style, but I now have enough stuff that I'll actually use to make things I like. In a couple years, which translates in to when I have made enough stuff that I actually know what I like and don't like, I will revisit my purchases and see what should be purged. Maybe that Cricut will have to go or maybe I'll finally be comfortable enough to use it. I do have to urge myself to use the nice stuff. I keep saving it for scrap booking projects (still working on learning what I'm doing there) rather than "wasting it" on a card. I also have to learn to actually give away my creations (usually they only go to family members that will give them back when they're no longer wanted). I also have to get off my butt and make stuff instead of just spending time on SCS.

I have been doing stamp and exercise to spend which is a great tool, but since I've obviously been way overspending it's been more to try and force myself to create more and exercise more. I think soon I may actually be able to use it in the manner it was meant - at least I hope so.

I do feel guilty about the money I've spent and that I am not creating enough to justify it. At least I have never purchased any item on credit; I always pay off any on-line shopping when the statement comes and my demo when I place the order, not waiting until it arrives. That really keeps the guilt to a manageable level. Now that I've got my version of the basics, I plan to limit my purchases to stuff I need more than want (except to fill out my square and circle nesties :rolleyes: ).
Reply With Quote Likes