Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2018, 02:06 AM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Illinois Marge- Your pulp cards are absolutely stunning!

Constantly. I swear half my stash is recycled items. Tonight I bought a beautiful choker necklace on clearance. I am using that as new trim. It was attached to the most beautiful embossed cardstock. I saved that. Then the health insurance cards finally came in today. DH was taking care of those. He handed me two beautiful glossy sheets of cardstock the cards were on. I saved my empty pudding cups tonight to put paint in. I did wash them. ;) I know somebody would ask.

Surprisingly, what I use the most are my precious recycled items. I hardly ever have stash. Then I get all upset because I need more recycled stash. My recycled stash is my favorite. I think I make the best projects out of my recycled loves.

Don't get me started on my magazines. Tonight I bought a new storage system for all my magazine cutouts I have collected over the years. This week I will be organizing over 4,000 cutouts. Girls, I am not joking. I really have over 4,000 images. I counted them this Autumn.

I do have a rule. Each storage system I have recycled stash, if it gets too full then something has to be tossed. It is recycled so it is ok if I toss it. I can get it again and it's not a loss because it was free in the first place.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 04:56 AM   #42  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm proud to report that I used a scrap of wrapping paper I had saved and one of those clothing ribbons to make a couple of cards this week. Feels good to say this was a used it instead of a add to week.

Speaking of paper scraps, since putting all my bits together with the same full size color family a few years ago I have managed to use up almost all of the basic color bits of white, off white and black. I actually had to cut a full size sheet to make sentiment labels for my cards this week.

Proves that sticking to a goal I set a few years is working and was well worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I also try to write a quick note about the design of the card, making note of the treasure I saved.
What a good idea! I've taken to printing pics that inspire clever uses of things, but I confess, there are items I have that I think 'what was I saving you for?'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 02:47 AM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
The handles of the bags you get at Loft are a nice, wide, grey ribbon with a fine white line. It's beautiful ribbon. I saved it for awhile but finally got rid of it.

I have two larger containers of SU ribbon I don't use enough of!
I have saved and used that exact ribbon from LOFT, it is enough to wrap around a pillow box that I die cut from my silhouette. I use the pillow boxes to put gift cards in for Christmas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 04:09 AM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big cardboard and wrapping paper saver for jewelry and art projects. I recently made a nice pair of earrings from recycled cardboard and paper scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

It's kind of inevitable with the cost of things! If you can find it in what you already have, in some way...... LOL It just happens! It happens with other crafts too. You look at what you already have before putting out more $$$. Stretching the dollar! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 07:03 AM   #47  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I do most of the above mentioned, don't use a lot of it but like to check those containers first. I also love to save plastic tubs that food comes in either new or takeout for containers. Depending on size you can use them for water to paint with, acrylic paints themselves, storage, etc.. I love using the plastic lids for paint or if I have to spray a card with adhesive or glitter I can lay the card down on it. Love jars, too, but am fussy about them.They need to be a uniform size and I love Stonewall Kitchens jam jars both regular size and small ones. great for so many small items and buttons and look really great lined up on a shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I keep the ribbon straps from shirts as well. I just know I will find some way to use it.

I hate throwing away the small bits of paper that are created when I make a card. Before I throw out the paper bits, I cut hearts out of them with a small punch. I'm collecting the hearts in a small container that will eventually find it's way to my nephew's school library. They have a STEAM center set up there and one of the activities is card making.

I also have a collection of jewelry boxes. I can't seem to throw them away, because I know I can fill them with tags or small cards and give them away as a gift. I have quite the collection, but haven't used any so far. I need to because they take up valuable storage space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunnyView Post

I also have a collection of jewelry boxes. I can't seem to throw them away, because I know I can fill them with tags or small cards and give them away as a gift. I have quite the collection, but haven't used any so far. I need to because they take up valuable storage space.
I too have so many boxes! I "alter"small jewelry boxes, they become a gift, as much as what goes in them (usually a gift card).
Attached Thumbnails
?Over the edge w/ being thrifty?-325.jpg   ?Over the edge w/ being thrifty?-1222151543.jpg   ?Over the edge w/ being thrifty?-artbox-0608151139a.jpg   ?Over the edge w/ being thrifty?-1222151557.jpg   ?Over the edge w/ being thrifty?-boxes-016.jpg  

?Over the edge w/ being thrifty?-boxes-010.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Illinois Marge - Your boxes are amazing. Who ever gets one will think so too. if you haven't done a Tutorial here at Split Coast you should do one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #51  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Illinois Marge, your boxes are indeed amazing! I have a ton of them that I am passing on to someone who makes (and sells) jewelry. Maybe I’ll keep a couple........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Oh my IllinoisMarge! Wow!!!!!!!! I love your boxes. I really love the tea box. Really, really pretty. Did you do the polymer clay? I love the glazing on your boxes. Can I ask what glaze you use. It is gorgeous.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 161 Likes on 77 Posts

To give you an idea of how long I "save" (yes, "save" not "hoard" ;) ) I used to get these beautiful, fancy appointment/planner books from American Express. Big, heavy with fake leather. All kinds of maps, charts, phone numbers and area codes world wide ... I don't use that kind of calendar. I saved it, because I told myself I might want to use it for mixed media, or do something with the maps or who knows. This was in 2007. A couple days ago I was unpacking a box from our move almost 2 years ago. I told DD that eventually the dates would be correct again (Jan. 19th would be on a Friday, etc.) Guess what? It works for this year! AND, best of all, now I have a use for it. It sat for 11 years, but it's now being put to use.

I also have quite a collection of plastic mesh bags, because years ago I saw a card that used it and I wanted to CASE it. Never did make a card with it, but I now have enough mesh , in a variety of colors, to make hundreds of cards. :rolleyes: I can't bring myself to throw away those fancy shopping bags or gift bags with the beautiful ribbon or pretty cord handles without first saving the ribbon or cord. Oh, and boxes and tins ... don't get me started about those. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #54  
Glitter Queen

Great post. I’m waving my hands in the air as I am “guilty” of many of the “hoarding techniques” listed above. I too remove the ribbons from garments. I have even bought new underwear and removed the bows, as I felt they would look far nicer on a card ! When I receive card backed envelopes in the mail, I always save the piece of card, and use it as a backing for my dies. I collect even the tiniest of off cuts from my cardmaking and store them in colour order in A4 ziplock folders. When I was about to put the Aldi Christmas brochure in the recycling, I noticed the cover had a lovely foiled design, so off came the cover, which is now safely stashed away ! Not sure if you have Pukka teabags in the US, but they have the most lovely packaging, so that gets saved too ! Just glad I’m not alone ��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Oh my IllinoisMarge! Wow!!!!!!!! I love your boxes. I really love the tea box. Really, really pretty. Did you do the polymer clay? I love the glazing on your boxes. Can I ask what glaze you use. It is gorgeous.
Thanks!

The teapot box uses a castoff Christmas ornament on top. The 'string' had broken and it could no longer be hung on the tree. Don't toss it -- glue it to a box, LOL

The leaf box uses a stoneware leaf, glazed and kiln fired, that I made in a ceramics class out of a small scrap of clay.

The varnish I use is American "Duraclear" polyurethane varnish. I get it at JoAnn's. Sometimes I use gloss, sometimes satin. I usually use at least 2 coats, sometimes 3 coats. I also use it on coasters and other things that I decoupage.

Deco Art DS19-9 Americana DuraClear Gloss Varnish - 8oz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Illinois Marge, I also want to chime in about how wonderful your boxes are. They are an inspiration. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
Thanks!
The varnish I use is American "Duraclear" polyurethane varnish. I get it at JoAnn's. Sometimes I use gloss, sometimes satin. I usually use at least 2 coats, sometimes 3 coats. I also use it on coasters and other things that I decoupage.
Thank you so much for letting me know. I love Duraclear. It is one of my favorite varnishes too. I love varnishes and always looking for new kinds.

Saving Things- I saved the handle off my Chinese rice box tonight. Those metal handles are really great wire. I needed some more.

I bought some potpourri tonight. Yes, I still have old school love of potpourri and still have my little potpourri pot. To not sound so old school I did buy tarts tonight too. My potpourri had a cute seashell in it. I dug the seashell out and put it in my seashell collection.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #58  
Cardstock Collector

Oh no, I never even thought about those ribbons in sweaters and tops. Now what!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #59  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

When I started papercrafting, it was with recycled materials and I've never stopped. Yes, I save tags and ribbons and offcuts of paper and card: all neatly stored and by colour, so I always get a chance to check the 'bits' before I go for a new piece. I had a fad for collecting boxes recently, just household ones, until I got too many - my Advent box is a set of drawers made from paracetamol (acetaminaphen) packets, with the outside and dividers from cereal pack card.

I think it needs some more snowflakes on top - but that depends on some pieces of recycled card being just the right colour.....

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyndaejaneView Post
When I started papercrafting, it was with recycled materials and I've never stopped. Yes, I save tags and ribbons and offcuts of paper and card: all neatly stored and by colour, so I always get a chance to check the 'bits' before I go for a new piece. I had a fad for collecting boxes recently, just household ones, until I got too many - my Advent box is a set of drawers made from paracetamol (acetaminaphen) packets, with the outside and dividers from cereal pack card.

I think it needs some more snowflakes on top - but that depends on some pieces of recycled card being just the right colour.....

Lynda
Oh Lynda, Your Advent Box is a true work of art! The colors are so lovely, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyndaejaneView Post

Lynda
Amazing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Thankyou very much. The papers are Bo Bunny Snowfall, one of my favourites, and I think I might have used a piece of new glitter card for one of the snowflakes, but all the other papers and card are recycled, too. Oh, and the brads for the drawer-handles are new as well, but I did manage to incorporate something recycled with those: they're all threaded through a tiny piece of plastic tubing (like you'd get in a pump dispenser or spray bottle) to bring them forward slightly to aid grasping them.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2018, 04:36 AM   #63  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

threaded through a tiny piece of plastic tubing (like you'd get in a pump dispenser or spray bottle)
I would never have thought of that one, Love your box!

JacquelineAnn, sorry to have opened up the rabbit hole of collecting yet more stuff.

On the same note as the old planners, I have a couple of those freebie address books we used to get that I'm going to do something with eventually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Oh boy, is this me. I save lots of things, but do keep them organized. Many are the typical things ribbons, cords, foil etc. Think some of my strangest are the foil caps on the top of wine bottle. Some are quite lovely and of course go with wine or grape themed cards, but some have initials that work for personalized cards or have a design that can be used in place of a button. Then there are the various net bags that groceries come in. Have used the softer red ones to make really special bows on cards, the black ones make impromptu spider webs on Halloween cards, the white ones looks like fish netting for nautical cards, there are yellow ones that look like honey combs and very fine ones that make veils on hats or wedding dresses. A lot of them are really great stencils to sponge or brayer through, too. I have other weird things I save, but I think I have revealed enough of my hoarding habits!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #65  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts

I recently read (I think it was here?) about using fabric sheets underneath your paper when cutting out die cuts on the cuttlebug. So I tried it with some used ones, and it worked! So now I have a use for those used dryer fabric sheets. Loved it, because it also helps emboss the image, so I don't have to run it through again with the mat. I do have a box of the perfumy cheap dryer sheets, and I will use them too. *Can't use them for drying, allergies.)They have videos on youtube about this. They said to use four dryer sheets and fold them in half to put under your paper and die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #66  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Love reading through this thread! Creative people see possibilities everywhere

Marge and Lynda, I love your altered box creations!

I was raised in a "trash to treasures" household. Both my parents were very creative and thrifty. I have many of the same things in my stash that you've listed. One of my favorite saves is the foil lid from peanut butter. The flip side of the lid is white and works well with alcohol inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2018, 03:12 AM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, you know that 'poor man's turtle' recipe that you pull out around the holidays ... with the baby pretzel, the Rolo and the pecan? Those Rolo wrappers sure found their way to my craft room and I can see all sorts of ways to use them. and while taking my time to be more careful unwrapping them made me laugh at myself, I have a lovely little stack right now. They're so feather-light I can see them in mixed media, or being burnished over a die cut, or glued onto CS and embossed, or ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #68  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm not a saver of scraps... of any sort. Anymore. But I didn't need to be. When I needed a blender for my paper pulp, I called my MIL. And she would dig one out and send it to me. When I needed a toaster oven for baking polymer clay, I called my MIL. When I was making beaded amulet pouches and needed empty toilet paper rolls to use as a base, I called my MIL. And when I mentioned I needed something shallow so I could pick up my beads with my needle, she sent me Pringles lids, And they were perfect. Bless her little hoarding heart; I miss her so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I'm not a saver of scraps... of any sort. Anymore. But I didn't need to be. When I needed a blender for my paper pulp, I called my MIL. And she would dig one out and send it to me. When I needed a toaster oven for baking polymer clay, I called my MIL. When I was making beaded amulet pouches and needed empty toilet paper rolls to use as a base, I called my MIL. And when I mentioned I needed something shallow so I could pick up my beads with my needle, she sent me Pringles lids, And they were perfect. Bless her little hoarding heart; I miss her so much!
Your post made me misty-eyed. Just like my MIL, she also saved plastic containers and sour cream ones were her favorite. I never knew they ate so much sour cream!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #70  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I have a friend that is beginning a women's ministry, with several Saturday conferences planned. She is needing some door prizes, and a tight budget. I told her I would dig in my stash, and get to work. I found a cute jar that I transformed in a ribbon embellished sewing kit, and sewed a simple tote bag with coordinating fabrics. I will make card sets to go with both of these. I will be spending a lot of time on pinterest looking for ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 05:10 AM   #71  
Mad Swapper

????????that is awesome of your friend and you but I'm confused. Did you have story or point that is related to non craft items that you save to use on cards or other paper crafting projects?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Sounds like my mom! No matter how I ended the question, "Mom, do you have ___________?", the answer was always "yes"! Anyone remember the margarine that came in those cute little yellow tubs? Yeah - several stacks at least at any given time...

When I needed fabric to make Renaissance costumes for my kids, she had the PERFECT flocked fabric for my son's knight tunic, and the perfect satins for the girls. Anything and everything was saved!

This wasn't a crafty thing, but one time the grocery store had several huge boxes of bananas that were too ripe to put out in the produce section, so my mom got them for a dollar a box. She spent an entire day making batches of banana muffins and froze them (we had a chest freezer in the garage). We had banana muffins any time we wanted for quite a while...

She's been gone for fourteen years, but I still think, "Oh - I need to call mom and tell her..." We never stop being "kids", do we?

I used to be a hoarder of crafty things, but I sold/donated pretty much everything when we moved across country three years ago, and I've tried really hard not to go there too much since. My weakness is anything glass - it just seems so shameful to put it in a landfill, and our apartment complex doesn't recycle (although our county does).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #73  
Die Cut Diva

Sue- When I moved I threw away my box of trash to treasure. I wish I gave away expensive things instead. I sure miss that box, lol. This Summer I threw away a bunch too and I miss it. I love my trash. I do think "Oh, I can get it again." Then I regret it.

On to recycling trash. The plastic bags our stickers, embellishments, stamps come in. I save those and use my Fuse to make new bags. You could also seal them with Washi too.

I upgraded my iPad that was on her last legs. The beautiful box it comes in I made a new box for my foam stickers. I used my WalMart beauty box to store die cuts in I made from recycled packaging.

Stacy I am going to tack on question. Still love me ok? Is anybody using recycled materials in their Scan n Cut? DH surprised me with one tonight. All I keep thinking is what kind of materials will it cut. I would love ideas and love you all for it. I thought of this thread.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 AM   #74  
Mad Swapper

Lylacfey but of course dahling
Quote:

Is anybody using recycled materials in their Scan n Cut?
...some of your fused bags! You can also think of it as an accerorizer for your recycled boxes etc.

Gregzgurl when my mom passed a coworker told me, "you will learn to deal with her being gone but never get over it". I thought it such a strange thing to say at the time but it was so true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #75  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
????????that is awesome of your friend and you but I'm confused. Did you have story or point that is related to non craft items that you save to use on cards or other paper crafting projects?
I made the tote bag out of a set of curtains that I never could coordinate colors with, and I used ribbon off boxes of cookies received at the holidays, and the sewing jar was made from a very unique jar received as a gift that contained jelly. The gift sacks turned out nicely. I took a class last week learning to crochet with wire and beads to create jewelry. I am going to hit up my friends to start going through their costume jewelry and see what we can create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I am always over the edge, oh you are talking about crafting..........;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #77  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

This tissue box was too pretty to throw away . . . ;)
Attached Thumbnails
?Over the edge w/ being thrifty?-28167374_2045510658993753_1450739990944755025_n.jpg  

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2018, 05:06 AM   #78  
Mad Swapper

I've cut up tissue boxes too, one kind is foil lined and makes for great heavy duty silver cardboard.
Reply With Quote Likes