Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #41  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When a neighbor commented to my husband that it was nice that I made my own cards because it is so 'cheap'. He told her "Well she complained because she paid $14.00 for some cards at Hallmark and now her handmade cards only cost $92.50 each"
Ain't that the truth!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #42  
Inking Addict

I never take into consideration all the tools I must have in order to make a card. However, if I calculated the cost of supplies alone (paper, ribbon, brads, ink, etc.) I would be totally ashamed of myself if I created a card that ONLY cost $2. LOL ;)

Not too long ago, I made a wedding card for a co-worker and she paid me $20 for it (way more than I asked). To her, if the cost was high then that made the gift nicer ... who was I to complain?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #43  
Glitter Queen

I make cards because I dislike knowing that 1 million other people are getting the exact same card as the one I am sending. Is it more expensive? Sure, but I think it is worth it. Besides, I love lots of dimension on cards and those are hard to come by in the store(and really expensive).

I wasn't sure whether the mention of using construction made me chuckle, or made me queasy. In the early days of my foray into paper I decided to make a bunch of paper bowls. Yes, I used construcion paper- It seemed like a nice cheap material to work with. The bowls were great- until they started to fade! I am pretty sure thay were completely faded out within a month! Lesson learned the hard way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #44  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

oops, I'm in the wrong thread:oops:

Looky Looky

Last edited by Karen Trueman; 09-08-2010 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #45  
Inking Addict

A few years ago on my birthday I received cards from my two sons. Now, they live in different states and I live in Canada... To my very large amusement- the "boys" had sent me the same store bought card unbeknownst to each other. They were funny cards, but the whole thing was even funnier when I told them. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #46  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate roseView Post
A few years ago on my birthday I received cards from my two sons. Now, they live in different states and I live in Canada... To my very large amusement- the "boys" had sent me the same store bought card unbeknownst to each other. They were funny cards, but the whole thing was even funnier when I told them. :p
Hee hee... I've had that happen to me twice. Once this last year when my son was baptized. Two family members (from the same town) gave him the exact same card. Thankfully, I received one in the mail earlier than when the second family member gave me theirs in personl But even better, I received the same birthday card - from the same person - a couple years apart.

I guess it is a nice thing knowing that since I make all my cards that I *hopefully* won't do that myself. Plus it is way more fun to make a card than stand in line at the grocery store to buy one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #47  
Compulsive Stamper

OMG - did this thread hit home ! ! ! I admit I cave at every new gadget out there....and I sometimes splurge on a paper just for the color (which is different when I get it home) or for the way it feels in my hands (Which gets corrupted by embossing). But after alot of years trying alot of crafts....I have no doubt that cardmaking is absolutely the best outlet for whatever smidge of creativity I might muster up. I spend hours in our craftoffice..."ours" because I adopted half a spare bedroom for my hobby, and my hubby has the other half for his home office/computer room. We love being able to do our own thing while still being together. You can't put a dollar value on being really happy now can you ? And I do so love it that the recipients of my cards really seem to appreciate them. I keep a little notebook of every card I give, and it prevents duplication. Then, when someone thanks me again for a card I made 6 months ago, I can look it up and see just what they found so memorable. Wow - I could keep going - but the bottom line has to be that it's not inexpensive.....but it's SO worth every penny !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

What a kick I got reading these comments! Ya'll are too funny! Seriously though ... I re-started paper crafting three yrs ago last spring. I decided, whenever possible, to charge everything I bought to one particular cc and keep track of my PP acct purchases. OMGOSH! No kidding ... by the end of the first year, I'd "invested" over $5,000! And ... I don't even have an electronic (i.e. cricut, pazzles) cutting machine! As of now, I have--according to my records--over $10,000 invested in my paper crafting hobby! That woulda made a nice dent in a new car, huh! So ... my cards have a price tag of about $500 each!!! My advice ... don't even bother keeping track and buy some of that "new car" smell spray! And keep on crafting cause it adds to the "happy" in your life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #49  
Embossing Fanatic

I can certainly identify with that. No way do I want to know what I have "invested" in this hobby. I want to quit my day job, and all of my co-workers know it. They have advised repeatedly that I sell cards, and I tell them that I would have to charge $500 each, for all the time and $$$ I would have in each. They must think I can whip one out in 5 minutes:shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Yes, but this is priceless:

Two of my nieces had wedding showers this year. They opened the card, sighed, then said, "My Aunt Rainy made this card" and passed them around.

They didn't even pass around the gifts but the cards were admired by all the ladies there.

You just can't get that from Hallmark.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I have even invested a LOT of $$ in stamps for card backs! Examples:
Through the ages every generation has asked what is art? Well.....
THIS IS ART Now that enlightenment has come upon you go forth and create.

How about: Now, I know this may be hard for you to believe but....
I MADE THIS Don't just stand there dumbfounded, get excited or something!

Another: Enclosed is a HANDMADE CARD
As such, it deserves a place of honor and respect in your home and should not be casually discarded like an ordinary store-bought card.

I have many more, believe me...........

Another: ..........here I had been paying this guy sixty dollars, twice a week for five years and I was still depressed. So, I quit analysis and started buying rubber stamps. Now, every week, I spend one hundred dollars on stamps and I have never been happier. If I could only get Blue Cross to......

Now this is an adelpated addiction but a blessing too! Look at all the friends I have made. I needed this laughter and affirmation today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #52  
Cardstock Collector

Smile dear tropduck,

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropduckView Post
Yes, i repeat! Thanks for the laughs!! It reminds me of an email i saw recently about 2 men in a boat out fishing..... the storm builds up and it looks like they might go overboard.... one man says to the other... if i dont make it through dont let my wife sell my fishing gear for what i told her it is worth!!

i am a recently started stamper and i have to admit i am finding it very hard - to be self controlled and to allocate our budget where i should! - food, bills, etc. !! gradually learning. recently i decided to start making cards to raise money for a charity. figured it would be a good way to do the cards and really have it come to some good. i have raised almost $200 to fight against slavery - but yes, i worry about the wisdom of that as i know i have spent hundreds$$$$$ that i could have used elsewhere (we are on one income!).... but just when i get the guilts someone comes up to me at church and just exclaims how they love the cards and how they enjoy giving and receiving them so much. several people have actually called it my "Ministry area"!!! so the only way i can even close to justify it is to say..it raises awareness and money for the work against slavery, it makes the giver and reciever feel good, it gives me a passion, and an outlet, it actually helps my son - with his fine motor skills, visual perception, and business skills (we homeschool and he needs help in all these areas! - and he is so aware of slavery now!).... but then those are on the days i feel good, and i havent tried that rationale on my husband. he has been fairly quiet so far (and i may have my crafty m-i-l on my side!), so far he is supportive, though he frequently comments on how it seems to be growing - ouch!

so.... how does one exhibit self control???? or is it only when the cc is maxed?! (hopefully i stop before that, i try to budget some aside each month, i just get ahead of myself!)

cheers, tropduck.

ps. hang in there in NZ!
don't spend more than you can afford, even if it's for a good cause. go shopping in your craft room. if you want to reproduce a card you saw on someone's blog or a stamp company's website, you don't have to use their exact stamp. if they used a flower, use a flower stamp you already own. call a month long moratorium on spending and see how your stress level goes down. you can't feel joy and guilt at the same time. good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #53  
Inking Addict

I have that stamp- the one that says "Now, I know this may be hard for you to believe but....
I MADE THIS Don't just stand there dumbfounded, get excited or something!"

And I've used it a few times and got a laugh!!
I also have one that says "It's been lovely, but I have to scream now".
Also-
"I'm fluffy, not fat!"

My point is, that there is a stamp ( or ten ) for every situation, and we are all lucky we have such a grand choice of what suits us!!:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #54  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh, I needed this today too- Thank You all! I just bought a Cricut Expression 3 weeks ago and can't stop buying cartridges or from svgcuts.com. How many things have I cut so far? Not many, but am VERY prepared for a block of free time. A friend once told me that in his home country of Norway they say that when you buy a book, you buy the promise of time. I adopted that and substituted papercrafting & quilting for 'book,' and tell my dh I am saving for retirement. ;P But don't you just hate it when you have so much stuff you can't find a spot to work???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #55  
Inking Addict

hahahahahahaha
I use my "craft room" for craft STORAGE, and my dining room table for actually DOING the crafting.
People come into my apartment and stand in amazement at the craft room door, and seem afraid to go in- perhaps they're afraid it will fall on them. hahahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #56  
Compulsive Stamper

People come into my craft space and comment "This is like a shop!". They get very quiet after that - and most of them seem to really appreciate the cards and things they get. BUT I need more space to fit in all the 'stuff' I have accumulated for my hobby. I do sell some cards - usually for about $5 Australian each - and I know that while this may cover some of the costs of the card/embellishments/ink/stamps used etc, it does not begin to cover the time and thought and love that goes into making the card. It is such a thrill to sell though, and I do enjoy that aspect of it - almost as much as the creating. That someone is willing to spend their hard earned dough on something I created - a great feeling. My husband has a workshop full of tools and equipment, and whenever he questions my addiction, I usually point to his space. He is pretty good, but every now and then he goes overboard about me buying things. I have a special off button for my hearing when that occurs! Insurance of my stash is not something I have thought of before, but now it is mentioned I may need to consider that as well.

Hang in there New Zealand! Hope all OK there in Christchurch. You folks reading this may not know, but Christchurch received the same level of earthquake as Haiti, but no-one was killed: however, that lovely city has had a lot of destruction of beautiful buildings and infrastructure is badly damaged. And the aftershocks are still happening, one yesterday was around 6 - pretty unnerving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

I used to quilt, and other quilters had a saying: She who dies with the most fabric wins. Well, now I'm a stamper, and I'm building inventory of stamps, inks, papers, brads, etc., apparently still trying to "win." I suspect that the cost of the many cards made with my favorite stamps is not too high, but I don't want to add up the value of the unused inventory that is lining my walls. I'll have to knuckle down and sell some on the B/S/T Forum!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #58  
Compulsive Stamper

Talking

[QUOTE=shogan;17281581]My husband has a workshop full of tools and equipment, and whenever he questions my addiction, I usually point to his space.

LOL- same here. Guess my dh is finally trained though, after years of me bringing in fabric for quilting and now stuff for cardmaking. He has a new truck that of course needed more 'stuff' and he came home one day looking guilty. He said, "I bought a lot of truck fabric today." :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #59  
Inking Addict

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes I figure I am like a good cocktail "Shaken not stirred"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #60  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile Handmade cards cheaper

Hilarious! My first stamp show in Puyallup I wore a school backpack. It was so full of "needed supplies" that I think I developed bursitis from carrying it home full. Just necessities of course.....What a bargain! I don't know if it is cheaper than therapy, but I can play well with others who are stamping! And its alot more fun. Yee haw!
Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #61  
Inking Addict

Hi Paloma
I have been going to the Puyallup craft fair for three years now. A friend told me that it might be a good idea to use a suitcase or something with wheels in order to carry all the loot I would (have to :oops: ) buy. I just so happened to have a four wheel cart that was the perfect thing to carry around my purchases (of which there were many- what a surprise), my coat, and also was something to lean on when I got tired.
BUT, I did have a list, and I got most of it. AND I have used some of the products or have specific projects planned for them.
It's getting hard to squeeze in more products and still have room for two grandchildren to sleep on the floor when they come to visit in 10 days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #62  
Inking Addict

I am in my 70's and there's nothing I like more than making cards, notepads, bookmarks, sets of note cards, etc. for family and friends. I never charge for anything I just love doing it. i just made 30 various items for a daughter who is a principal and needed teacher gifts. Don't ever expect to stop spending cause there is always something new you'll want. Everyone needs a hobby and this is the best. Just enjoy!!! With the internet you'll never run out of new ideas and you'll always have a gift on hand when it's needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

I realized I was in deep from the start. All my cards are stamped with my logo ,part of which says, " The World's Most Expensive Card Company." My LSS had the stamp made for me. I love it!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #64  
Inking Addict

I'm in my 70's too, and I'm still learning things, and you're right, Dianne, there will always be something new down the road- oh wait- I think it's being delivered at the end of this week!!
Diana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #65  
Cardstock Collector

I am really enjoying reading all of these posts. I can relate fully with most of you. I sell my cards for a dollar!!! One thing I do is watch for Used Stamps sales, or rummage sales. I have gotten some really nice stamps to add to all my other stamp sets from SU and other places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #66  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

After collecting 'stuff' for a couple of years, I bought a program to help keep track of it. You remember the days when you bought stuff twice? This was going to fix that. I started putting all of my 'stuff' in there and noticed there was a place for price paid. Hmmm. I put a few in then thought...OMG...what if someone sees this and runs a total?

So, no prices. Apparently everything was free, lol. For a quite a while, DH didn't even realize that my huge 3 door wardrobe had stamps and supplies in it. (The clothes had been banished to the attic.)

Lord help me if I die and DH sells all my 'stuff' for what I said I paid for it, lol.
Facebook|Pinterest|Instagram
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni,
Featured StamperHostess & Inspiration Challenge Hostess

I design for: Rubbernecker Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #67  
Inking Addict

Yes, it's been fun!
I sell my cards for 3.00 each, and people feel they are getting a bargain- because they are hand-made:shock:. I mostly sell to my family, who always want to know what I am doing now... There are so many things out there to do- I'm going to have to live for another 20 years just to use the stuff I already have!!
And Veflin, don't undersell your cards or yourself. People ( buyers ) value things if they pay a little more for them. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrahx2View Post
As such, it deserves a place of honor and respect in your home and should not be casually discarded like an ordinary store-bought card.

Another: ..........here I had been paying this guy sixty dollars, twice a week for five years and I was still depressed. So, I quit analysis and started buying rubber stamps. Now, every week, I spend one hundred dollars on stamps and I have never been happier. If I could only get Blue Cross to......
I have both of these and use them frequently. I think I need the one that says" don't just stand there, get excited..."

And yes, I don't ask what he spends on books and old time radio programs and he doesn't ask what I spend on stamping. Unfortunatley, this is the time of year when my expenses really ramp up

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrahx2View Post

I have both of these and use them frequently. I think I need the one that says" don't just stand there, get excited..."

And yes, I don't ask what he spends on books and old time radio programs and he doesn't ask what I spend on stamping. Unfortunatley, this is the time of year when my expenses really ramp up

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #71  
Inking Addict

My ex-husband came to town a couple of years ago for a memorial service. Our daughter drove him here and we were all having a bit of a chat and a catch-up. My ex was looking around my living room looking at some of my art work and made this remark, " I guess you're really into crafts".
And he didn't even see my craft room. I must have had the door shut.:shock:
Heh heh.
when I think about this now, I have a good laugh. He guesses I'm into crafts. What an understatement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #72  
Compulsive Stamper

Too funny. I love the heh heh.... :cool: It is good to have a chuckle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 03:56 AM   #73  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
A stamper friend told her husband that the first card costs $500 then every card after that is free.
Mary Beth
wahahahahaha........ I like this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

My favorite stamp for the back of my cards reads:

Rubber stamps......$7000
Supplies.............. $5000
Handmade card from me.....Priceless

Oh how true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking DINING TABLE???

[QUOTE=chocolate rose;17281418]hahahahahahaha
I use my "craft room" for craft STORAGE, and my dining room table for actually DOING the crafting.

My craft room overfloweth as well! GLAD to know someone else is getting some good use out of their dining room! HeeheeHohoHaha!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 05:15 AM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=gabalot;17283478]
Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate roseView Post
hahahahahahaha

My craft room overfloweth as well! GLAD to know someone else is getting some good use out of their dining room! HeeheeHohoHaha!!!
Yes I just looked at my craft room/alley and realized that's all it was going to be was storage since DD and I can't both be in there at the same time, we use the kitchen/dining room table for doing the crafts. Now if we could get better at putting stuff AWAY when we were done we could actually use the kitchen/dining table!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #77  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkleView Post
Yes, but this is priceless:

Two of my nieces had wedding showers this year. They opened the card, sighed, then said, "My Aunt Rainy made this card" and passed them around.

They didn't even pass around the gifts but the cards were admired by all the ladies there.

You just can't get that from Hallmark.
This is priceless! And how I feel when I receive a "homemade" card. I once made a card for a nurse I work with for her birthday and she told me how nice it was and then I found out she was telling everyone how CHEAP I was that I could not even buy her a card but had to make one. Some people!!!

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #78  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
My favorite stamp for the back of my cards reads:

Rubber stamps......$7000
Supplies.............. $5000
Handmade card from me.....Priceless

Oh how true!
Great saying!

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #79  
Insane Embellisher

I'm from Christchurch (Riccarton area) but have lived in S. California for a while now. The funny thing is that my Mom and Stepdad were over (from Blenheim) visiting me here in the earthquake capital when the earthquake happened back home in NZ!!! Luckily my family in Christchurch haven't had structural damage, hope you're OK. But you're right, you could still keep on stamping while everyone was without power LOL.
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappymoodnzView Post
I am in Christchurch, New Zealand where we have just had a 7.1 Earthquake last saturday and have had over 200 aftershocks since then, this thread gave me a much needed laugh, Thank you so much. BTW when the electricity went out and we were told to stay put, I said to my husband "Don't need electricity to stamp" ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwistamperView Post
I'm from Christchurch (Riccarton area) but have lived in S. California for a while now. The funny thing is that my Mom and Stepdad were over (from Blenheim) visiting me here in the earthquake capital when the earthquake happened back home in NZ!!! Luckily my family in Christchurch haven't had structural damage, hope you're OK. But you're right, you could still keep on stamping while everyone was without power LOL.
Wow! Just ... wow! (& how cool is this that a little ol' stamper in the middle of the US, chuckling away at an awesome stamp thread should get a sense of the world this way?!)
Reply With Quote Likes