Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default our cards ARE gifts...

I had my DH's niece graduate from highschool. I made her a card ( I wasn't crazy about it); the card was time consuming and took about 1.5 hrs if I remember correctly. I probably had some troubles of some sort. Then I went out and bought her an beautiful ivory evening handbag for her grad gift. Went straight to the store, bought it in 10 minutes.

So, which do you think she was oohing and awwing over? Yup. The card. I wasn't there, but DH said she couldn't stop talking about the card. Kept looking at it, picking it up. Saying, 'oh, what a cute card', etc. (I'm glad she liked the card, since I didn't).

But it goes to show you. The card meant more to her than the purse (of which she got 2, 1 from another person!). I think our papercrafting can bring great joy into people's lives, if only for a few minutes. I know many people save these cards and look back at them with fond memories. I know this is what my niece will do. Can't say the same thing about the purse!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, Denise, thanks for sharing this story! I know most of my family feels like your niece does--that handmade cards are something special and a wonderful gift. It keeps me going through all sorts of creative doldrums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I want to see that card!! I'll go check out your gallery now.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

My friend keeps mine on her fridge! There are like 6 of them on there feel like a little kid who has their artwork displayed! he he! It is really great when people appreciate what you make for them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

It's amazing how much people love getting hand stamepd cards! My sister-in-law had me make a variety pack of cards to give to her mother for her birthday because she loves getting them. Only problem is she won't send them out and is keeping them all for herself to look at!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was going to start a thread like this and forgot so I'm glad you did! I too wanted to promote a positive thread cause we've seen a few where our lovely works of art are just tossed aside! My nieces always tell me how much they love my cards and that they save each one; I have a HUGE family and we had a gathering to celebrate Mothers Day and 5 birthdays in May so I made lots of cards and got lots of ooohs and ahhhs that day! Even my teenage nephew asked me if I had made his card! My son's GF also has all the cards I've made for her thru this school year hanging on her bulletin board; makes me feel so good when I see that! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I took a look at your gallery and found an elephant grad card. If this is the card your speaking of it is really adorable!!! Left a comment on the card. I think we are our own worst enemy when judging our work. TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

It is nice to hear stories of people appreciating the things we make them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
I had my DH's niece graduate from highschool. I made her a card ( I wasn't crazy about it); the card was time consuming and took about 1.5 hrs if I remember correctly. I probably had some troubles of some sort. Then I went out and bought her an beautiful ivory evening handbag for her grad gift. Went straight to the store, bought it in 10 minutes.

So, which do you think she was oohing and awwing over? Yup. The card. I wasn't there, but DH said she couldn't stop talking about the card. Kept looking at it, picking it up. Saying, 'oh, what a cute card', etc. (I'm glad she liked the card, since I didn't).

But it goes to show you. The card meant more to her than the purse (of which she got 2, 1 from another person!). I think our papercrafting can bring great joy into people's lives, if only for a few minutes. I know many people save these cards and look back at them with fond memories. I know this is what my niece will do. Can't say the same thing about the purse!
Doesn't it feel good when our efforts are recognized and appreciated?!? Gotta love your niece!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

omgosh. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! I mean, I like making cards and giving them, but I'm always worried that they won't be appreciated, especially when you consider how much time and thought I put into it. I'm not saying everyone has to save every card I make forever and ever, amen, but appreciate it.

I saw a stamp that said "This better not end up in the trash." I'd never actually stamp this on a card I made, but I feel like it! ;-)

Nichole M
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I love hearing "stories" about how someone just loved a card that I made. My co-worker's daughter got married last summer and I made her a really nice card (I forgot to scan it though). When she opened the card and her cousin saw that it was handmade, I guess it was one of those moments that everyone oohed and ahhed over it. I even received a hand stamped thank you card. Her cousin had made her a bunch of thank you cards plus she was using store bought ones... and I got a hand made! (Beautiful card too.)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm so glad your DH shared that with you. I checked out your gallery and any of your card sure would make me ohh and ahhh too. TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

WOW, I just looked at the card, NO WONDER she was so excited...it's gorgeous. Beautiful job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Love your story - you must have felt very special, as you should have for taking the time to make her the card. It's great that she appreciated it.

I had a similar experience. My hairdresser recently got married. I made her a card & bought her a piece of pottery. She loved the pottery but she couldn't get past the card. She showed it to everyone in the shop and just went on and on about it. In her thank you note, she wrote: thanks for the wonderful pottery, but really - that card!!

She made me laugh but also made me feel so appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've heard people make similar comments about my handmade cards and/or gift albums, but still, sometimes I feel "cheap" when all I give is a handmade item. I'm not really sure why that is, though, as I do enjoy being on the receiving end of handmade gifts. Maybe I'm just my own worst critic...

Congratualtions to your niece on her graduation and to you for your much-appreciated card !

-- kimB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Loved your story, Deni, and the card is so FABOOOO!!!

You mentioned using a "glue pad". Was it the Tsukineko one or the Stewart Superior one? The effect of the glitter on your project was DAZZLING, Daaaahling!!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

my daughter stamps and I save every card she makes me!!!! I treasure them (and her)!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for posting this - I give my cards and they get thrown away - so it's nice to know that there are people out there who really do appreciate the time, effort and talent that goes into making one of these cards. Your's are darling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I learned this lesson the hard way. My grandma was living in an assisted living apt. and grown to be very angry and bitter after my grandpa died. I had such an awful time calling her...she was pretty miserable. Well, I went too long between writing her and I became convicted. So, I made it a goal to write each week so she could get mail. I made a card...sent it out...she called me. Note: she had not called me for over a year up til this point. She called me twice in one day. She HAD to tell me how much she loved my card and she showed all the ladies she chums with the card "her lovely granddaughter made". She couldn't stop talking about how much she loves my cards and soo appreciated the mail. She died 2 weeks later.

This really affected me. I made it a new goal to keep in touch with all my family monthly. I now send cards to everyone in our church young and old for their birthdays, get well, sympathy...whatever the need. I saw how this affected my grandma...I want those around me to know just how much I love them. And many have said that they keep my cards...they are on their bookshelf as decorations..in their scrapbooks...on their walls as art. Funny. But it's the words and the love that I want them to remember.

Keep sending your cards....it could change someones day.
Reply With Quote Likes