Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Organization and storage

How do you all organize your odd type of supplies. Like the paper crimper, ribbons, hemp, 3 dimensional embelishments, punches, sticker makers, refills, embossing table, embossing heat tool...etc, etc.

I have organized my paper pretty well...but otherwise I feel my stuff is spread all over the place and may not be the best way to store them.

any suggestions? photos of your space?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 10:03 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Default organization

Paper - vertical cropper hopper
Stamp sets - 3 drawer sterilite rolling cart (ok I don't have as many stamps as some people)
Punches and other tools - 3 drawer sterilite rolling cart
Eyelets and other smallish embellishments - fishing box
Pens, glue, ruler, knife, crop-a-dile - stored in metal desk organizer

Photo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 10:21 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I would also like some ideas for storing the bigger, bulkier items (paper crimper, heat tool, border punches, etc..).

I have my spooled ribbon in those wire pantry racks. By the yard ribbon is wound on floss bobbins and stored in tackle boxes by color with the rest of my embellies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 04:17 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I have my heat tool plugged in at all times and hanging over the peg part of a country cabinet. All I have to do is grab it and heat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 05:41 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04
I have my heat tool plugged in at all times and hanging over the peg part of a country cabinet. All I have to do is grab it and heat.

I HAD mine this way until 2 days ago. Either something bumped it (like the cat or something falling) and turned it on while I was in the shower. By the time I heard it my craft table was so hot that I have a burn on my arm. If it had happened when I was not home or I had not heard it I could have lost my home. Mine is now unplugged except when in use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 05:45 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

I keep my odds and ends in Photo storage boxes and have them labeled on the outside: Buttons, brads, eyelets, crimper, etc.
Works for me cause I only have a cabinet in the corner of our bedroom to keep my supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 05:48 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
I HAD mine this way until 2 days ago. Either something bumped it (like the cat or something falling) and turned it on while I was in the shower. By the time I heard it my craft table was so hot that I have a burn on my arm. If it had happened when I was not home or I had not heard it I could have lost my home. Mine is now unplugged except when in use.
Sorry you burned yourself. :( I'm glad your house didn't burn down. Sounds like I should unplug mine. Thanks for the advise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 06:04 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to Julie1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearlann66
I keep my odds and ends in Photo storage boxes and have them labeled on the outside: Buttons, brads, eyelets, crimper, etc.
Works for me cause I only have a cabinet in the corner of our bedroom to keep my supplies.
This is what I do also. I also have a huge cabinet in our bedroom so store everything in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 06:23 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

I am kind of a lazy scrapper and stamper. I like to just go in my craft room and grab what I need fast, make it, and clean up fast. So I had to organize.
I hated spending an hour trying to find all the stuff I wanted to make whatever I was making. I hope this helps.

I have bulky items like punches, wheels, wheel handles, crimper, heat tool, decorative scissors, etc in an over the door shoe holder. That frees up so much space. I have esstenials in a small bucket that is right by me. Scissors, pen, UN-DO, aqua painters, little stuff like that, that I use everytime I stamp or just about go it that little bucket. If it gets to where I don't use it as much, it goes somewhere else.

All my ribbon is in forget me not keepers, at the end of the spool, I stick a straight pin in it so it don't have this crazy tangled mess.

Ink Pads- SU! ones are in color caddies close to where I sit refills fit on the top of those, stazon is in a rolly cart.

Embellishments (stickers, chipboard,etc): I take a three ring binder a thick one and I put page protectors in it, I also got some baseball card holders for smaller things and I put stuff in there. It has helped so much and I can find stuff so much more quickly. I sort of categorize them (kid,baby, wedding)

My brads, buttons, eyelets, other metal stuff goes in stampin stack holders, and a magnetic board with magnetic little tins.

Embossing Powders/Glitter/Pearl Ex: these are in a sterlite drawer unit. But its narrow and wide, perfect for these. I also have small I got at the office section of walmart, is for adhesives.

Stamps- I bought a shelf at a yard sale and I stack my stamps in their cases according to size and they are labled so they are easier to grab.

I only have a small sticker maker, but thats in the shoe holder

Hemp, Twill Tape, Ribbons on a card, and Linen Thread go in the narrow thing

I don't use an embossing table, so I won't be much help there.

3 ring binder is also a good idea for templates too.

In between my narrow storage thing and my color caddies are small essential tools like my color coach, perfect layers, coluzzle, pastels.

Die cut Machine is on the shelf that my stamps are in. Dies are Cricuts Small cartridges stored right next to it.

Again this doesn't work for everyone but after alot of internet surfing, reading, and experimenting this is what works the best for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 06:36 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I have rolling carts 3 units wide and about 3.5 feet high in which I store almost everything. There are two additional 3 drawer (Little ones) that I keep my embossing/pearl-ex, embellishments, small tools, etc so I can pull the whole drawer and put it on the table to work out of. I keep my BG stamps stored upright in woven baskets and just pull as needed. I have my heat gun on the shelf in a basket plugged into a power strip which I turn off when I'm not using my heat gun. It's so much easier to turn on the power strip than to plug and unplug all the time.
I just purchased one of my rolling carts monday at Kmart. It is 6 drawers high. Two are short and the other 4 are regular size. It's on sale, Ladies, for $22.97 this week. Run!! I love it already and so redid my space yesterday before I stamped!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 06:57 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I invested in the store-in-style cubes and I LOVE them. All of my paper is stored vertically in the open cubes -- I really love seeing all those cubes full of paper!

I bought a 2-drawer cube for adhesives: one drawer has my xyrons and all the "stuff" that goes with them; the 2nd drawer holds all my other adhesives, re-fills, modge-podge, etc.

I keep all of my spooled ribbons in a 4-drawer cube: one for grosgrain & gingham; one for organdy; one for non-SU spools; and in the 4th drawer I have all my purchased-by-the-yard ribbons wound in color families on chipboard cards that I made. Sad to say all 4 drawers are stuffed LOL!

In a 3-drawer cube I keep all the "tools" like my eyelet setters, crimper, heat gun, etc. One drawer also has pearl-ex and tools to use with that.

I really like that all the store-in-style drawer cubes have label holders on the front. It's great to be able to label the drawers and have everyone know what's inside without having to search.

For punches, those are hanging in punch-holders that hang on the wall. I love that all the pockets are clear and I can see all my punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

The little stuff I have in the Cropper Hopper embellishments boxes. The bigger stuff I use the SU card boxes (I think that's what their called) or their regular plastic stamp cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love pegboard, for keeping all my most frequently used tools right above my work surface! I also love that it can be re-configured as your needs or tools change, etc.?

I have a skinny narrow shelf beneath the pegboard and above the counter top that I have my most frequently used punches aligned on for easy access; the others go into a drawer (I need to improve on that, tho . . . it's hard to find what I want when I need it with the drawer method . . . )

I do keep a mug handy with Xacto knife, and certain frequently used pens, tweezers.

I'm not the best at organization and seriously need to improve, but those 3 things have been life-savers for me, as far as the most used tools go.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I got a lazy-susan "stacked" round "thingie" for my work desk, from Pampered Chef - it is GREAT for all the "use every day" stuff - pens, pencils, scissors, qluesticks, ruler, Versamarker, blender pens, etc.etc. You can get a LOT in it - and then the stuff is all right at your fingertips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I have a cropper hopper embellishment box with a lid and handle. I put 90 of the 1x1" embellishment containers in it. Inside the containers I rolled my 1 or 2 yard ribbon, then the one end comes out the top as the top of the tiny box closed over the end of the ribbon. It looks sooo pretty and it is very functional. Visit the cropper hopper site you can see what I am talking about under http://www.cropperhopper.com/2005%20CH%20catalog.pdf
Embellishment Organizer case Pg. 12
Embellishment Mini Essentals Pg. 12
Heavy Duty Rolling Cart Pg. 6
12x12" hanging folders Pg. 7
Vertical Paper holder Pg. 2
I have 2 vertical paper holders. One for 81/2x11 and the other for 12x12.
All Punches, crimper xyron machine go into a shoe hanger over the door. I also have my heat gun plugged in and hanging in one of the shoe slots, works good for me.
Also have the pampered chef desk organizer, love it, it swivels
Ink pads/reinkers go into a carousel found here:
http://www.forevertreasures.ca/Woodw...20reinkers.htm
I also have a closet that has all shelves in it so many bigger things sit on the shelves. The rest of the small stuff like embossing powders, single stamps, adhesives go into 5 shelf iris carts. My stamps sit in a big book case. One day my room will be organized and finished then I will post pics. I just bought a 70" kitchen island with 3 huge drawers and 2 long shelves from Ikea also 2 small butcher block tables - one for my ink carousel and the other for my cutters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Default WOW

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyesMom
I am kind of a lazy scrapper and stamper. I like to just go in my craft room and grab what I need fast, make it, and clean up fast. So I had to organize.
I hated spending an hour trying to find all the stuff I wanted to make whatever I was making. I hope this helps.

I have bulky items like punches, wheels, wheel handles, crimper, heat tool, decorative scissors, etc in an over the door shoe holder. That frees up so much space. I have esstenials in a small bucket that is right by me. Scissors, pen, UN-DO, aqua painters, little stuff like that, that I use everytime I stamp or just about go it that little bucket. If it gets to where I don't use it as much, it goes somewhere else.

All my ribbon is in forget me not keepers, at the end of the spool, I stick a straight pin in it so it don't have this crazy tangled mess.

Ink Pads- SU! ones are in color caddies close to where I sit refills fit on the top of those, stazon is in a rolly cart.

Embellishments (stickers, chipboard,etc): I take a three ring binder a thick one and I put page protectors in it, I also got some baseball card holders for smaller things and I put stuff in there. It has helped so much and I can find stuff so much more quickly. I sort of categorize them (kid,baby, wedding)

My brads, buttons, eyelets, other metal stuff goes in stampin stack holders, and a magnetic board with magnetic little tins.

Embossing Powders/Glitter/Pearl Ex: these are in a sterlite drawer unit. But its narrow and wide, perfect for these. I also have small I got at the office section of walmart, is for adhesives.

Stamps- I bought a shelf at a yard sale and I stack my stamps in their cases according to size and they are labled so they are easier to grab.

I only have a small sticker maker, but thats in the shoe holder

Hemp, Twill Tape, Ribbons on a card, and Linen Thread go in the narrow thing

I don't use an embossing table, so I won't be much help there.

3 ring binder is also a good idea for templates too.

In between my narrow storage thing and my color caddies are small essential tools like my color coach, perfect layers, coluzzle, pastels.

Die cut Machine is on the shelf that my stamps are in. Dies are Cricuts Small cartridges stored right next to it.

Again this doesn't work for everyone but after alot of internet surfing, reading, and experimenting this is what works the best for me.
You are one organized lady!! I really like the idea of the over the door shoe holder for the punches. I, too, have so many of those and they take up a lot of shelf space! Thanks for all the good tips!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #17  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stole an idea from JulieHRR and hung some pegboard last week - WHAT a difference that makes.

So, my paper (reg and 12x12) is stored in a Cropper Hopper Rolling Cart. It sits between two iris carts which hold all my misc supplies (embossing powder, paper scraps, stampable items, cutters, adhesives, etc) with each drawer labeled. The pegboard above this area holds punches, wheel guide, brayer, and most recent mini. A little shelf below holds my background stamps, and a cup with handy tools (scissors, pen, bone). My stamp sets are stored in wire baskets that roll out of my closet unit.

I am just lacking good accessible storage for my ink pads... but I'm working on it!
Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Default thanks for the input

Thanks for the replies. Any photos of the peg boards?? I want to display my punches...but didn't know I could put them on a peg board.
Also using the back of the door is a good idea..except I have little ones...and they may think it's a new toy for them!! =)

Once I get my area some what organized (for about the 5th time) I will share my pics.
Thanks again for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I've got 2 tall rolling drawer units where a lot of my stuff is. I also have a low wide drawer unit that fits under my desk (really a small kitchen table) that holds my color family stamp pads and my non-retired stamps. My retired stamps are all stuck in a couple bins but that needs to change because they are hard to get to. I also have two wall CD holders (they are like cabinets with glass sliding doors) where I keep little jars of stuff like micro beads, buttons, etc. I keep all my paper in three portable hanging file holders. And I also have shelves where I have a paper organizer for non-su papers and other items, small drawers where I keep non-su stamps, a bin for su-ribbons, a 12x12 bin for those size papers, etc. My main problem now is that I'm getting far too many stamps and nowhere to put them especially my retired stuff. I hate having just a corner of a room to use! I need more space! :twisted: DH keeps telling me that I will fill it completely to the brim once I get my own crafting room. He's right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
I am going downstairs right now to unplug mine. Scary thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I am just lacking good accessible storage for my ink pads... but I'm working on it!
My demo (who is very clever) uses the IKEA Stackebo DVD racks to hold her full-size ink pads. They are only $4.99 each and they hold 17 ink pads pretty well. Looks very organized and neat. The only bummer is that for some reason you can't order them online - you can only get them at an IKEA.

Reply With Quote Likes