Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Orgainzing and Using Paper Scraps

I am planning to spend some of my time this summer reorganizing my stamping space. I would like to hear from anyone out there who has ideas on organizing scraps. I try not to waste paper and so I have many scraps that really need an organized home. I have a sliding tray in my cabinet that is organized with plastic pouches, the 12x12 type, and sorted into color or type but maybe there is a better way. I really do use my scraps and would like to have a better way to store them so that I really use them up. Suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have a binder for each color family. Each color has it's own clear sheet protector page that I labeled with a tab on the outer edge. This way, I can always check my scraps first to see if I have enough before I cut into a new sheet. I save EVERYTHING, but I use my scraps, so this works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I do something similar. All my papers (8.5x11) are kept in a file cabinet -- each color has it's own labeled folder. I keep my scraps in a sheet protector in the folder and just check it first when I am cutting to see if there is a scrap I can use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
I have a binder for each color family. Each color has it's own clear sheet protector page that I labeled with a tab on the outer edge. This way, I can always check my scraps first to see if I have enough before I cut into a new sheet. I save EVERYTHING, but I use my scraps, so this works for me.
This is a great idea! I never thought of doing mine this way! I use alot of my scraps too, so this may just work for me also!

Thanks for starting this thread I was just thinking of the same thing!
--------
Caren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I have a wicker magazine rack, with folders for each color. It's quick and easy to drop the scraps in the folders, and then pull the folder out. The scraps are great for punching. I don't like to waste paper, either. It is so expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Subscribing to get better ideas than what I currently do. Right now I have 2 plastic containers each 12x12. One holds patterned scraps, the other plain. I do use my scraps, but it is hard to rifle through the whole container to find what I need. I know I miss finding scraps I can use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I have a hard plastic accordian file folder from Target. I think it has 14 different "files". Specialty papers go in front, neutrals next, then they're separated by colors (reds, blues, greens, etc) then stripes/dots/plaids, then flowers/nature, misc, then Christmas/Halloween. This sits on my table open beside my paper cutter but is so portable!

Now, if someone can tell me why I always have SO many green scraps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I also have a metal filing cabinet that sits behind me. Each color has it's own folder. I check out my folder before cutting into a new piece of cardstock. This system really works for me since I have a larger stamping space. I realize this will not work if you have a smaller space or need to be portable!!!

Here's a link to my space:
My new stamp room by PattiLynn at Splitcoaststampers

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I have a cart that has the hanging filing system on the top and two drawers under the file folder system. It's a plastic cart that I bought for less than 15 dollars. I think it's Steralite brand but not sure since all the stickers have been removed. I have files for every color and keep any scraps filed there. Easy to file new ones and easy to find needed scraps for a project since I have a file tab with a colored cardstock insert.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I use out of my scraps first. My paper is stored laying flat and I have a clear, flat Cellophane bag that is on top of each color and when I pull out my paper it is right on top. This puts it in my face so I remeber to use scaps first. When I am done with that color I put any additional scraps in the bag and return it to the shelf.
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I use a vertical 12x12 paper holder from Cropper Hopper. I then use individual power sort dividers from CM to store the scraps by color. The power sort dividers have a small pocket on the front, that neatly stores the tiny scraps, so they don't get lost with the bigger sheets. I don't save all of my scraps, so this system works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

What a great thread with wonderful ideas!!
Here is what I recently ended up doing:
I cut any scraps to a card front size, a full card size (which I score and fold), or a 6x6 sxrapbook page size.
I keep the c/f and full cards in a little box on my table. (This is really convenient when you need to make a quick card as everything is already cut out!) I just throw the little 6x6s in a box for when I'm ready to scrapbook.
With the little pieces that are odd shaped, I try to use my punches on them (scallops, circles, word windows are perfect for the little scraps!). Those get put in a little see through container as well. What I need to start doing is cutting some of my scraps to bookmarker size then sending them in with my DD for her art class!
Can't wait to read all the other great suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I have an accordian file and seperate them by color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I store scraps by color. I have 2 3-drawer units from WalMart and just throw them in the drawer. I suppose if they were actually filed it may be easier in some regard but the drawers work for me.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I have two Iris 2 drawer file cabinets on wheels. I have folders for color families. I put all the scraps into a main folder when I am working and then later I file them with their color family. I use color families instead of specific colors because I don't want to think too much about where the scraps belong. I always look for a scrap first too. No sense in wasting paper, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjinkoView Post
What a great thread with wonderful ideas!!
Here is what I recently ended up doing:
I cut any scraps to a card front size, a full card size (which I score and fold), or a 6x6 sxrapbook page size.
I keep the c/f and full cards in a little box on my table. (This is really convenient when you need to make a quick card as everything is already cut out!) I just throw the little 6x6s in a box for when I'm ready to scrapbook.
With the little pieces that are odd shaped, I try to use my punches on them (scallops, circles, word windows are perfect for the little scraps!). Those get put in a little see through container as well. What I need to start doing is cutting some of my scraps to bookmarker size then sending them in with my DD for her art class!
Can't wait to read all the other great suggestions!
I do the same thing, cut full card size, card front size, then use punches on smaller scraps. I sort by color and by color family. It makes it easier to use up scraps since I have been using this system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I, also, have a sheet protector for scraps filed with each color (for my 8-1/2 by 11 card stock). When it comes to patterned paper, I also use sheet protectors...12 x 12 size. Most of my patterned paper is purchased in a 'set' (like from Stampin' Up!) or I purchase multiple prints in the same line. I put the entire set of paper in a 12 x 12 hanging file folder and when scraps are leftover, they go in to a sheet protector at the front of the file. Some people prefer organizing by color, but I like keeping paper from the same collection together. For my random scraps (I only had one sheet of the paper and didn't but the whole collection) they go into a plastic envelope (12 x 12 size) with the other random scraps. Maybe when I get too many of those I'll sort by color, but that's a ways off. Thanks for all the great tips ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 03:48 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

I have two hanging files, one for solid cardstock and the other for pattern paper. There is an article in Simple Scrapbooks May/June issue on this exact problem!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 04:20 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an accordian file, too. Actually, two of them - one for neutrals and specialty items (metallic, vellum) and one for colors. If a scrap piece is either full card or card front size, those are put in a drawer where I keep all my pre-cut items. All other scraps - about 2x2 up to larger odd shaped pieces - get sorted by color into my accordian files. I found my files on a clearance rack at WalMart for $2 each. They're a sturdy plastic and are wearing very well. I've had them at least two years - maybe three?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
do you separate EVERY green and EVERY red and EVERY blue, etc? Or do you put all blues in one protector, all greens in one protector, all reds, etc. together in just one protector for that color?

right now I have mine in quart-size ZIP lock bags by families (all reds, pinks together; all greens together, etc.)

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I tried binders, file boxes, and hanging folders and now I use 2 small 6-drawer iris carts with each drawer dedicated to a color such as red, blue, pink, white/cream, metallic, etc). The drawers are long enough to hold 12" scraps.
The drawer units are low enough that they fit under one of my work tables so when I want a scrap I rcan each them without having to get up. I found that if they were nearby I would use them more often.

I mix all the shades and plain/printed into one drawer. If its pink its in the pink drawer. If the scrap is multi-colored I store by the prevelant color. If I have enough scraps I may store them in a couple of drawers and I know to look in another drawer for more pieces.

I also stopped saving the very small pieces. I used to store them all but I found I wasn't using them. Every now and then I challenge myself to make only cards from scraps.

Also, a few times a year I'll go through my scraps and toss out any that I know I'm nver going to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I also stopped saving the very small pieces. I used to store them all but I found I wasn't using them. Every now and then I challenge myself to make only cards from scraps.
I've stopped saving the tiny pieces too. It was just getting to be too much and I found that I wasn't using them. Now I keep the lid from a gift box on the floor next to my work table. Any small scraps get swept into there and when it's full I empty it into the recycling bin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I have an accordian folder also. The scraps usually don't make in the folder but I do have one.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried a million different ways to organize scraps, in a way that will actually encourage me to use them....no luck.

lately, I have been dropping them in a shoebox on floor near my chair. I use them more, since I pratically trip over them on the way to getting other papers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I use two 12x12 (3) drawer units from Target. they were 9.99 each. I have them divided by stampin up color families. For any non-stampin up colors I put them in the drawer of the family they most resemble.
Here is exactly how I break down the drawers:
1) Bold Brights
2) Earth Elements
3) Rich Regals
4) Soft Subtles
5) Neutrals / In Colors
6) Patterned Paper

It really works for me to just turn around and open my drawers to check for a piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes