Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannemlehrmanView Post
Gina K.... My favorite is scoring lines so my writing is straight!
That's a great idea decorative and useful.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #42  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Cre8ive Mind;22061557]
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I don’t always attach the liner to the card base. My closest friends and a few family members have told me that they like to reuse the card, this way they can just take my message out and the card is ready for them to use.

Oh! You just got by brain light turned on. Of course recycle/reuse! Pass on the kindness! I love it!
I always felt a bit "cheap" reusing those pretty gift bags we all get, but why toss them out if they are still in good shape. So why not pass on a pretty card when you have tired of looking at it or it's time to take it off display. Then someone else can enjoy it for awhile.
My sweet Mom has a whole windowsill of my cards on display and now one has to come down as a new one comes along.
I have repositional tape runner and "tack it over and over" glue. I think if the liner was just tacked in with these they would come out easily, but at least be secure for the first recipient. I wonder how we can let the recipients know that they can reuse the card and how to replace the liner? We need a small stamp for the back of our cards to address this maybe. If we make cards for people to send to a third party we can't tell them in person.
I've been saving pretty gift bags for years! What's really fun is when you use one to gift someone who gave it to you first. My daughter and I recycle these bags over and over. "Remember when you gave me this?" Or more recently, "You're not using THAT bag, are you?" (when I needed one for a birthday and only had Christmas bags). LOL!! As long as they look good (and keep going up in price), why shouldn't we reuse/recycle them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2021, 09:44 AM   #43  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive MindView Post
I keep meaning to check with our post office (I'm in Canada) to find out what areas on an envelope need to be left blank for their electronic markings. They use some invisible ink these days I think because I get lots of letters with no postmark over the stamp but I am sure they mark the stamps as used somehow. And there is sometimes a yellow print bar across the bottom, so they must like those areas left blank. I still like making chunky cards so always just factor in that my cards will cost $2 each to mail. I painstakingly make boxes for all my cards that will be mailed so they are protected. Not the prettiest, but functional. I use whatever heavy non-printed cardboard (except not corrugated) I can find. When I find out the info mentioned above I may improve the appearance of them. Oh dear, more work for one card. I said to a friend "they don't lead one to anticipate the pretty surprise inside, that's for sure". Maybe the plainess increases the surprise factor instead of diminishing it. Hmmm?!
I think your mailing box looks GREAT! And so do your mailing labels. I myself just finished creating some mailing labels for shipping cards, because the labels from the post office are so ugly.

As for shipping cards, my cards are almost always bulky with lots of embellishment, so I use clear acetate boxes made for this purpose. Then I put them in a padded envelope. Unfortunately, what used to cost $2 US now costs $4! Because the post office now considers them "packages," which is ridiculous, but that's a rant for another day.

Oh, and I do use liners for my cards - always. Even when the card base is white. I mat the liners as well with a coordinating color from the front. I like the weight that the liners add, and I don't want anything showing through the back of the card.

Last edited by marshallgal; 04-27-2021 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks Shea! Wow! $4 is definitely a "cha ching" at the post office for one card. Tolerable if it's just one special card once in a while, but if you want to send several in a year it would add up pretty fast and that is money we would rather spend on supplies...right??? LOL.
I took a look at your gallery when I read you make bulky cards; that caught my curiosity. They are wonderful! Just the kind of cards I like to look at.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2021, 05:45 AM   #45  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive MindView Post
Thanks Shea! Wow! $4 is definitely a "cha ching" at the post office for one card. Tolerable if it's just one special card once in a while, but if you want to send several in a year it would add up pretty fast and that is money we would rather spend on supplies...right??? LOL.
I took a look at your gallery when I read you make bulky cards; that caught my curiosity. They are wonderful! Just the kind of cards I like to look at.
Thank you for the compliment, Cre8tive! I confess I haven't posted any of my recent cards, though I need to. I blog, which seems to take up much more time than I'd like. I'd rather spend my days playing in glitter and glue.

As for the post office... it drives me bonkers. Back before my 5-year break from crafting, I could put one of my bulky cards in my mailbox with sufficient postage, and that was that. Not anymore. Now those same padded envelopes are considered "too thick" and MUST be taken to the post office, which is another hassle altogether. Just another bid to extract more $$ from the American consumer.

But I make the cards anyway, just not as often. I refuse to make and send cards based on cost alone. I love putting all that stuff on them, so I might as well adjust to the aggravation (and cost) that goes along with sending them. The reward (recipient's happiness) is worth it. . As for supplies, I probably have a small Hobby Lobby in my craft closet. I don't dare go shopping anymore. LOL!

Thank you again - I need to go visit your gallery as well. I'm just now getting back in the SCS swing of things.

Shea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always use liners for my cards. I mainly use dies to make my cards and use a small die cut on the inside to coordinate with the front of the card. I also sometimes use the narrow embossing folders on the inside edge of the liner to give it some style if I don't use a die cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Cathy,
That's a great reminder for me. I have some of those narrow embossing folders and haven't used them for a long time. It feels good to drag out some of the old stuff and make use of it. So, thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes