Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Opinions on Cricut Craftroom?

I finally took the plunge and bought the Expression 2 and LOVE IT! I'm really new to cricut but am so intrigued by the Craftroom. Do any of you use it and do you recommend it? I'm going to be upfront and tell you that I'm not technologically sound -- does the word "struggle" bring anything to mind? My goal would be to get the wireless piece as my cricut is upstairs and the computer is in the living room.

Also, some of the cartridges I'm interested in can no longer be found but can be purchased for the Craftroom. Has anyone ever done that? Do you get a book with the shapes or is that a crap shoot?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I really appreciate your input!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I've had an Expression for years, but I just recently got a Mini; and I've been playing with the Craft Room for a few days. I find it pretty easy to use, but I'm very comfortable around computers. My advice is to download the free software and play with it. You don't have to cut anything, and you don't even have to connect your Cricut. Just try out the program and see if you like it. It is my understanding that you do not get the booklet with the digital cartridges, but you can see it online. I think there is a feature in Craft Room, but I'm not sure. I hope I've helped in some way, and have fun with your Cricut!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Thanks! I didn't realize I could just download the software and not use if it it came to that. You've been very helpful! Thanks loads!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use CCR all the time. I agree with Scrapjanny about playing with the trial version to see if you like it. There's some great tutorials out there on YouTube and probably elsewhere to help you learn how to use it. I would recommend NOT linking your cartridges to it until you are very comfortable with using CCR and you're sure you are going to continue to use it. I linked all my cartridges and then moved them all to the closet. Opened up alot of space in my craft room. The only down side is that anytime I want to cut anything - even a simple circle, etc. I have to get on my computer and use CCR rather than just grab the cartridge. But I really needed the space.
Anyway, good luck with it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjblack3View Post
Thanks! I didn't realize I could just download the software and not use if it it came to that. You've been very helpful! Thanks loads!
Glad to help. Jill, why can't you just use the cartridges? Is it because they're packed away in your closet, or do they not work in your machine once they're linked? The one thing I don't like about CCR is that I can't link my cartridges there because I've already linked them with my Gypsy. They're supposed to be fixing that, but folks have been waiting almost a year for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Glad to help. Jill, why can't you just use the cartridges? Is it because they're packed away in your closet, or do they not work in your machine once they're linked? The one thing I don't like about CCR is that I can't link my cartridges there because I've already linked them with my Gypsy. They're supposed to be fixing that, but folks have been waiting almost a year for that.
The cartridges would still work if I put them in but I packed them away to make space for other supplies.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I just read through my posts and realized I wasn't very clear. The reason I recommend waiting to link the cartridges is to perhaps avoid a situation like people have with their gypsies where if you've linked them to the Gypsy you can't link to CCR. If you link your cartridges right away and then hate CCR you will have linked them for no reason. And then maybe Provocraft will come out with something else that you can't link them too.
Hope that makes sense.
I use CCR for cards all the time because I can't seem to cut anything square! I design my card on CCR based on the sketch and then cut all the pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

You ladies rock! Thanks for your input -- it is VERY helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

In addition to the reasons listed above for using CCR, I'd like to add a little more info.

CCR like the Gypsy allows you to take images and do more with them. A very cool thing. You can mirror or flip images, weld shapes or letters together, etc...

I use my Gypsy, and all my cartridges are linked to it, and unfortunately I can't link them to CCR because PC hasn't come out with a way to do that. When my Gypsy fails (it's very old), I'll go to using CCR and I just hope they come out with a way to link cartridges from the Gypsy to CCR before mine fails.
Reply With Quote Likes