Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #81  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry about keeping up! I don't really concern myself about it. I know the lessons are there for me as long as I need them. I try to watch the videos every day so that I can ask any question I have about the techniques, but even there, I have gone back to earlier lessons and asked a question and either Jennifer or Kristina has answered it.

When I did Creative Chemistry 101 it was not interactive. So I really didn't have to keep up with anything, I just made my way through the lessons.

I have not been at this long enough to be able to reliably get a card done in a day. I mean, I could do it, but I wouldn't necessarily be happy with my results. I still sweat every card. It would probably help me to go to a camp or crop because it would force me to stop doing that (agonizing over every card so much) but that is not an option for me at this point.

I also don't try every technique. Some of them interest me more than others. I probably should try every one, but again, I have the PDF's and can always go back and look at the videos if I decide something might work with an idea I have.

I'll bet most people don't try everything that's presented every day. Most people just don't have the time! But I agree, the class is a terrific source of ideas and inspiration! I am really enjoying it!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #82  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
No, and the only reason I don't is because I don't have any Distress Ink Reinkers. I know the reinkers are in my future because I have the Distress Ink pads, but since I already have seventeen pads and there at least five more colors I want, the investment in reinkers will be significant. When I bite the bullet and buy the reinkers, I'll definitely get the Cut and Dry Felt so I can play with making the custom ink pads. I really love that technique. Tim Holtz does it (using that Papillion Stamp featured in the collage class) in Creative Chemistry 101 and I fell in love with it then.
If you are looking to get reinkers try oozak.com. They have really good prices and if you spend $50 you get free shipping. Great service too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #83  
Glitter Guru

Yes NYStamper they do have very good prices! The best I've seen. And I had never heard of them. Thank you for pointing me in their direction. Maybe reinkers are not as far off in my future as I thought.

Distress - truly a addiction. But such an enjoyable one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #84  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes it's a great idea to start a thread for all those attending SYS class! I'm trying to keep up with the class as much as I can. Mainly because I know I'll start slacking once the class is over. Also while the class is in session, with all the interaction it propels me to go ahead and make something based on that day's class.

Of course, life always comes in the way and slows me down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #85  
Gallery Gazer

I got my SSS order, and essentially spent all day long yesterday working with the Hero Arts Lattice background stamp, which I am having a love affair with right now! Today I got out the Tim Holtz Papillon set, which I think I will love, but I didn't get much done beyond Kristina's watercolor background with black on top. I don't really like the effect at all; it's too dark for me. I might try it again with brown instead of black. It takes me a while to get friendly with a stamp set, but I'll try again tomorrow with that set.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #86  
Glitter Guru

Okay, then, someone start a thread and let's see who jumps on it! I know there's only a week left of classes, but at the rate material is being thrown at us, it might take a while for us to get through all the techniques we want to try and we can support each other in the meantime.

Carla, my favorite class so far has been that collage class. I love have not tried Kristina's card and I plan to, but I want to try Jennifer's first. I love that water emboss! But I got hung up, oddly enough, in playing with Amber's card, and I say oddly because while I really love a clean and simple card, I don't tend to make them. My thing is more clean but not simple. Lots of layers and lots of depth if I can manage it. But I loved the window effect she did and so I had to immediately order some Nestabilities squares and that turned into a whole new direction for exploration.

I think the black background on Kristina's card would want a pretty light/bright distress underlayer. A brown overlayer (or any other darker color - I could see a very yellowy/orangey underlayer with a Bravo Burgundy over it, or a deep red in Distress, like a Barn Door and Rusty Hinge combo) sounds like it would look terrific!

Oh, now I have to go and try this. Why can't there be several of me, so that I could work on more than one project simultaneously?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #87  
Gallery Gazer

Very unproductive day today in terms of the class. I did finish a card with the yucky background from Kristina's card. It's not my favorite. Spent quite a bit of time packaging orders from my Etsy shop. I did use Papillon to stamp on some envelopes and the insides of previously finished cards. I don't always have time to do that for my Etsy sales, but if I have time, I like to add a coordinating envelope before I send an order out. My listing says nothing about it, so it's a nice surprise for the customer.

Maybe I'll go back downstairs and see if I can make some headway on Day 2!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 02:48 AM   #88  
Hardware Hotshot

Just a heads up about the new classes at Scrapbook News & Review.....
I signed up for a gesso class that was supposed to start last night.
There are no live links for the class. The website has a topper about having technical difficulties but I felt an email should have been sent up letting us know the situation. I asked on the groups section - no response to my question.

My kids are taking classes right now at Big Picture and Jessica Sprague so I am seeing how online classes are supposed to run. Not too impressed with this new site and if they don't fix this fast, will not be recommending this site for classes until they can get all their ducks in a row.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 03:51 AM   #89  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
If you are looking to get reinkers try oozak.com. They have really good prices and if you spend $50 you get free shipping. Great service too!
oooh, I wish I had not read this! Thanks a lot!;)
That is an awesome shop - and they offer international shipping.

@Rachelrose: You said you might take a Big Shot Class. I got my Big Shot a year ago and got the hang of it very quickly thanks to the tons of Youtube videos out there. I would google them first and save the money for another class. Just my opinion - there are too many things out there asking our purses' attention... ;)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who would like to watch videos all day and take breaks for shopping. I even noticed that I can get quite lazy and prefer to watch others (and shop for the supplies) rather than actually do it myself...that's not a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #90  
Glitter Guru

I did sign on for the the die cut class - A Cut Above - but I only needed the first half of it because I have a Big Shot and not one of the digital setups. So it was $18, very cheap. I have not had time to watch all the lessons yet because I have been doing the Stretch Your Stamps class, but it wasn't interactive anyway, and I know now that I have it as a reference I can go back to when I want to.

I am happy I did Stretch Your Stamps. Although I watched lessons everyday, I did not try to keep up with the class - in fact I've spent less time making cards in the past two weeks than usual. It was a lot of material, and I'm letting it percolate in my head, and I feel like I've got enough in the way of new techniques and ideas to keep me busy for a while. The videos were great, but I expected that. I really was impressed with the way every project gave you a list of all the supplies with links to vendors, and that there were extra links to other cards that used the type of stamp each lesson was based around. And it clearly an effort was made to present variety of card styles, from the cute to the elegant, vintage to CAS, and everything in between.

I would definitely take other classes with Online Card Classes. Tomorrow is the last day of this one. Sad that it's over, but now it's time to get back into the studio and work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #91  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm glad the "cut"-lesson was worth it. It is definitely a time saver when you have all the info nicely bundled in one spot for you.
I'm looking forward to the Chemistry Class now.
Happy stamping, cutting and embossing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #92  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Hi all! I want to start having online classes! My ideas is to make them product based so you'd order a few things you need to make them then I'd send a video tutorial. I'm I interested to hear customer thoughts on this. Does that sound appealing. What do you like, not like? Any comments would be appreciated!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #93  
Hardware Hotshot

Just giving an update on the deplorable service over at the Art Studio at Scrapbook News & Review.....

I signed up for a class that was supposed to go live July 21st at 8pm.
No live links at that time - I asked for an update. No answer.
Sunday morning - no live links. I ask again. No response.
Monday morning - still no live links. I asked for someone to please email me the status of the class. Now, several hours later, not even a courtesy email. No response at all.
Mind you, they have my money.

The next step is to reverse the charges - tread VERY lightly when thinking of taking a class there. After all the wonderful online class experience I have had, this has been awful.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #94  
Glitter Guru

Thank you, Laura - I was looking at that site just the other day. Sorry you had to be the one to be in a position to warn the rest of us. Hope they straighten things out and you either get your class or your money speedily. Maybe you can keep us updated.

A shame. The class I was looking at looked interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #95  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Hi all! I want to start having online classes! My ideas is to make them product based so you'd order a few things you need to make them then I'd send a video tutorial. I'm I interested to hear customer thoughts on this. Does that sound appealing. What do you like, not like? Any comments would be appreciated!
I am getting ready to start my first ever online class so I am probably not the best person to ask! But here I go with my two cents anyway .

I think I would only be attracted to this if there were a few options of similar packages. Like stamp set A B or C or something. It is less of an issue with consumables, but SU fans may already have the sets or might not like the stamps you choose. I suppose the same could be said for inks as well. I understand that you're trying to pair the class up with being a demo and I think the idea is fundamentally a good one, but you would have to think about the best way to do it.

I think a piece a lot of people appreciate is the forum aspect or the ability to have you as the instructor give advice on their finished products.

Some other SU bloggers I follow also do tutorial club things where they send out a video or step by step instructions each month and you just have to commit to spend a certain amount ($35ish usually) for a time period (3 or 6 months). So it is less about supplies for the projects and more about value added for regulars. At least one of these also offers a slightly discounted consumables kit to go with the monthly tutorial.

Let us know what you decide! And sorry that was long .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #96  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by togradyView Post
I am getting ready to start my first ever online class so I am probably not the best person to ask! But here I go with my two cents anyway .

I think I would only be attracted to this if there were a few options of similar packages. Like stamp set A B or C or something. It is less of an issue with consumables, but SU fans may already have the sets or might not like the stamps you choose. I suppose the same could be said for inks as well. I understand that you're trying to pair the class up with being a demo and I think the idea is fundamentally a good one, but you would have to think about the best way to do it.

I think a piece a lot of people appreciate is the forum aspect or the ability to have you as the instructor give advice on their finished products.

Some other SU bloggers I follow also do tutorial club things where they send out a video or step by step instructions each month and you just have to commit to spend a certain amount ($35ish usually) for a time period (3 or 6 months). So it is less about supplies for the projects and more about value added for regulars. At least one of these also offers a slightly discounted consumables kit to go with the monthly tutorial.

Let us know what you decide! And sorry that was long .
Thanks for your input:-) I have some ideas that I think will work....and they include step by step videos...now where can I get the TIME to work on them? LOL! Thank you!!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #97  
Pearl-ExPert

funny i just spent 4 straight hours on an online class - 21 secrets. i have taken quite a few and also teach quite a few on Color Me Creative .

first i can say that i have found online classes to be just as much of a toss up as in person classes BUT online is way better because there is far less time constraints. that being said, i do not like classes where i can only access the material for a limited time. i am insanely busy. my worst online class experience so far has been with christy tomlinson and i am so sad to say that because she is quite talented and such a sweet person but the class was only available for 3 months and to top it off the videos were SO long and rambling and full of nonsense and she was SO unprepared that i felt like i had to watch an hour of video to glean 20 minutes of useable info. couple that with such a short access time and it was a total waste of money. suzi blu's classes have a bit of that unnecessary stuff in them but i have learned a huge amount from her - huge! i am saving saving saving to take classes with joanne sharp and jessica sprague's photoshop classes have been invaluable to me. hers are the only ones that have lifetime access and 4 years later i still go back and watch them! i have also like the videos on cloth paper scissors that i have gotten. dina wakely and dion dior are two others whose online classes i have enjoyed.

i think i could probably find a lot of free info/lessons on you tube but i like having things all gathered up and ready for me in one place.

the bummer on a couple of the online classes i have signed up for - my one year time limit is approaching and now it is totally stressing me out!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes