Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by allisonacornView Post
I have to ditto the recommendation for onlinecardclasses.com. It's run by Jennifer McGuire, Kristina Werner, and one or two other ladies I can't recall at the moment. All SUPER professional. Can you tell I love them? ;)
absolutely! I took Jennifer's inspiration class and it was great. I will absolutely take any and all I can afford by waiting for the discount if necessary.

Took another I really didn't like by Lain Ehmann (I think that's get last name) it was email based and I didn't like that format plus it wasn't professional at all and I hate videos that are just voice overs with animated stills or podcasts. I liked Maggie Holmes mini book class which was really nice.

I also took Spring Training by Ella publishing but found it like many of their ebooks. Lovely but not in depth enough to satisfy me on any single topic. My favourites were the photography videos but when I joined that author's online chat, I didn't enjoy the format at all. Not her fault of course!And the prizes were based on submitting photos of the projects done based on each days class but I needed more than the week provided to do the projects and upload my photos.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have enjoyed the OnlineCardClasses with Jennifer, Kristina and friends very much. Great ideas. Also ANY class with Julie Ebersole. Reasonable prices and lifetime access.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nillysilly_ol'bearView Post
Julie, you are ONE of the MANy reasons those classes rock the casbah!!! I am so hooked! see you in this new one coming up!

I always learn something new - above and beyond what is out on the internet available for free. the friendships in the groups and the kindness shared by everyone make taking the classes that much more fun!
Awe, thanks, Jennifer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacstamperView Post
I have enjoyed the OnlineCardClasses with Jennifer, Kristina and friends very much. Great ideas. Also ANY class with Julie Ebersole. Reasonable prices and lifetime access.
Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #45  
Glitter Queen

Question

I was interested to find this thread - but did not see my own concern. I have been salivating over a number of the classes found online but have been afraid to try them out due to the fact that I have a dial up connection. In addition, my server cuts me off at 4 hours. A simple 7 minute video can take up the full four hours (if I am lucky). Has anyone else living in the dark ages of slow connection speeds tried an online class with any success? Appreciate your advice...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Dial up

I don't want to discourage you, but with dial up, I wouldn't try an online class that has videos nor pdf's. I had signed up for an online class and I have the slowest high speed, but due to reasons beyond my control, I only had dial up for about 3-4 weeks. I couldn't watch the videos, and just to download a simple pdf took ages. It was not a good situation. Fortunately, I got high speed restored, and was able to access everything but only after the class had ended or was near it's end. I sincerely hope this information helps you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuraAnneView Post
I was interested to find this thread - but did not see my own concern. I have been salivating over a number of the classes found online but have been afraid to try them out due to the fact that I have a dial up connection. In addition, my server cuts me off at 4 hours. A simple 7 minute video can take up the full four hours (if I am lucky). Has anyone else living in the dark ages of slow connection speeds tried an online class with any success? Appreciate your advice...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #47  
Cardstock Collector

I have taken over 20 classes at Big Picture Classes; and love them all. I love the ones with Stacey Julian, Cathy Zielske, and Karen Grunberg.

I have taken classes at Miss Art's Papercrafting School. I really like the Shabby Chic ones.

I also love Lain Ehmann over at Layout A Day. Her LOAD classes are really a lot of fun.

I tried at class at Ella Publishing this year. I did the Spring Training - it was so much fun. I was introduced to Tami Morrison there and then took a class by her over at BPC for this summer - the SMASH book class. My twin boys are loving that class right now.

I love, love, love, online classes. I don't live near other scrapbookers so online is the way I stay in touch with the hobby I love.

On a side note - I also listen to Lain Ehmann's podcast (through itunes) and also my favorite podcast is Paperclipping Roundtable with Noell Hymann. Both of these are free. They are full of guest speakers and full of inspiration to keep me going in the hobby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I'm sure you will love Claudine's online class, Joan! I had the pleasure of taking a class at CHA where she was one of 3 instructors and she and her projects were fantastic!

I already knew how to do what was being taught and had even made similar projects prior, but I thoroughly enjoyed her segment of the class!

I've always heard many positive things about her past online classes, so I imagine this one will be very enjoyable, too! I know she puts a lot into them.
Claudine's composition class is absolutely fantastic! She is eloquent, very well educated in the topic and a pleasure to watch! Actually, I think I am gonna watch it again now.. you've inspired me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #49  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyfeetView Post
I don't want to discourage you, but with dial up, I wouldn't try an online class that has videos nor pdf's. I had signed up for an online class and I have the slowest high speed, but due to reasons beyond my control, I only had dial up for about 3-4 weeks. I couldn't watch the videos, and just to download a simple pdf took ages. It was not a good situation. Fortunately, I got high speed restored, and was able to access everything but only after the class had ended or was near it's end. I sincerely hope this information helps you.
Thanks for your input - pretty much as I expected. Maybe one of these days I can afford to upgrade my server to high speed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What a great thread! You gals really are great. I am going to do the Stretch Your Stamps class. I am a HUGE fan of Kristina Werners cards and blog. Thanks to ya'll I'm really looking forward to it now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I took a sponging class online with Kim Teasdale (MCC) and enjoyed it, though it was rather costly till you get all the supplies. I have favorites some cards where I saw the person said she learned the technique from an online class and had loved it. When I get some time I will likely try some others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Oh, you bunch of enablers! I've signed up for Stretch your Stamps too. Oh, and the Clean and Simple cards one from the same place. Enjoying that one but I'm stuck on Day 2, struggling with one layer cards! Haven't made any I'm happy with yet! The brill thing is though, I can just pause there a while...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

New online "school" just got this in my email: The Art Studio @ SNR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm hooked on the Online Card Classes.
Great videos, PDFs and discounts, but the best part for me are the new techniques and ideas. I watch all Jennifer Mcguire's Thinking Inking and blog videos, but I still learned lots more from my 1st class, inspiration Show case and I love techniques. I've done every OCC class since and am blown away by the new ideas each time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,114 Likes on 968 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuraAnneView Post
With some of the online classes, you can download the videos and then watch them on your computer, rather than online.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #56  
Glitter Queen

That's great to know that there are classes where you can download for later viewing.

Can you recommend any?

It would be nice for watching while my husband is golfing next month and we have no internet access in the mountains.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #57  
Kookie Creator

Has anyone taken online photography classes? Wondered how those are as some are pricey. Thanks for the comments on Claudine's classes...decided to sign up and try it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #58  
Glitter Queen

There's some material at 2Ps in a Bucket. I'm new here so I can't post the link yet. If you got to the Forums and click on the photography forum, the post is at the top of the fist page there: "master list of all lessons."

Having taken some classes at the local JC from a very good teacher, it was hard for me to stay engaged/disciplined with those.

There are often free live photography seminars at Creative Live that are very good--very qualified photographers.

After they run live (free) you can buy the video (around $100 I think). I had fun watching Jasmine Star there awhile ago. They will send you alerts for the classes if you sign up for an account (free).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Heart

I have done 2 classes at Online Card Classes indepently mode i have signed up to do Stretch your stamps. I watch the class videos on my iPad & read my PDF files in my ibooks.i just deleted some of the class videos from my iPad to make room for my stamps class .
I learnt so much from the classes i have done so far ,i have no hesitation in recommending the OCC 's to anyone, i will most likely will end up doing all of them.
Regards
Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

I know this isn't a stamp class but I have to give some props to Jessica Sprague. Her online photoshop elements classes are amazing. I started with the free one and have since paid for two more. I am so much more skilled using my PSE now. It was so worth the money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Michele, I saw that note about her class on your blog - thanks for the info. I've had PSE for awhile and never have really gotten into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #62  
Glitter Queen

Thanks! I'll go check into that. When I glanced at it recently it sounded as though you could access the class at any time but that it couldn't be downloaded onto your computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #63  
Glitter Queen

Online Card Classes are excellent and yes, you can download their videos (it takes a while though) and they also provide PDFs for each lesson. I'm currently counting the "sleeps" until "Stretch Your Stamps" beings next week, but you can sign up for their older classes anytime and then work at your own pace (no give-aways with those).

I also do Big Picture classes all the time (just finished Mou's up-cycling class & had a blast) and I must say that Claudine's composition class was may all-time favorite. She takes instruction seriously and packs a lot of content into her classes. You WILL learn the basics of composition and you'll enjoy it too! There's a whack of downloadable collage pages, which are part of the class materials as well. I highly recommend Composition for Collage: it's content rich and excellent value for money.

All that said, however, my favorite on-line classroom for stamping and card-making is the "resources" section of Splitcoast Stampers. Seriously, it's a great place to find information on fun projects and you sure can't beat the price.

Oh, and if you ever want to dabble in digi, go straight to jessicasprague.com. It is the best source of digital scrapbooking instruction on the 'net. The quality of the classes is so high that it will spoil you a bit, but there's no better place to learn all you'd ever need to know about digi.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished Creative Chemistry 101 at Online Card Classes and it was worth it in my opinion. The class was not interactive, but that was fine by me, I just watched the videos at my own pace. Neither did I buy any materials before I watched it (I already have a number of Distress Ink Pads, but that's it). Since you have online access to the lessons "for life" (which means as long as OCC exists), you can just watch and learn and decide what you want to invest in and then rewatch the lesson if you want to see the technique demo-ed again.

I don't know about downloading the classes - if you could it might solve the problem of watching them if you have dial-up but I suspect the downloads might take hours, and possibly not work. You should email them and ask. They do offer a refund if you are not able to access the material, so it might be worth trying that route.

I also think I am going to try Stretching Your Stamps. It sounded interesting.

I'm also going to look into all the other places that were posted - thanks so much guys! I'm far from everything down here and anything online is a boon to me.

I will say this about Tim Holtz's class: it does teach you all about the Ranger products, and you also learn how to use the general properties of different inks for resist, etc. (You also get a look at TH's very unusual - some would say controversial - way of prepping and cleaning his stamps.) My biggest challenge has been to take his techniques and incorporate them into my own style. Everything Tim Holtz is so very distinctive and different that if you get really good at using his products and use his tags and resist papers and the like exactly the way he does, you end up with a beautiful card - but it looks like Tim Holtz made it!!

But I guess that's always the challenge of learning from "the masters". You have to make it your own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #65  
Glitter Queen

Rachelrose,
I really appreciate your comment.

Recently I heard an online class teacher say that it's good to Imitate, Integrate and Innovate. That stuck with me and encouraged me to take more classes.

After some resistance I've begun to focus on at first closely copying the class content--especially when it's something I would never do like putting fiber paste on beautiful Prima flowers. (It actually looks very nice.) Then I try to use the technique in my own projects...I guess I haven't gotten to the Innovate part yet but it gives me a goal for more creativity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
My biggest challenge has been to take his techniques and incorporate them into my own style. Everything Tim Holtz is so very distinctive and different that if you get really good at using his products and use his tags and resist papers and the like exactly the way he does, you end up with a beautiful card - but it looks like Tim Holtz made it!!

But I guess that's always the challenge of learning from "the masters". You have to make it your own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #66  
Glitter Guru

Imitate, Integrate and Innovate! I love that! Gotta make a banner and put that one up on my bulletin board in my studio!

For any of you who took the Tim Holtz course, I'd love to know what you thought of his surprising method of stamp seasoning and cleaning. Have any of you inked your stamps up with black archival ink and let it dry and then just applied ink over the black and used only water for cleanup? If so, how do you like it? I could not deny that it improved the image quality of that one clear stamp he demo-ed it with, but I confess I am hesitant to try it myself!

Last edited by Rachelrose; 07-05-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

Hey Joan! I've taken several from Lisa Pace, which I loved. I also took the BIG summer one last year, which I thought was a waste of money, and so did some other people I talked to. It just wasn't a good fit for me. I think that's part of the deal. What one person loves, another person thinks isn't any good.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #68  
Gallery Gazer

I'm on Day 3 of Online Card Classes Stretch Your Stamps and I love it! Jennifer and Kristina are doing a phenomenal job.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #69  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I will say this about Tim Holtz's class: it does teach you all about the Ranger products, and you also learn how to use the general properties of different inks for resist, etc. (You also get a look at TH's very unusual - some would say controversial - way of prepping and cleaning his stamps.) My biggest challenge has been to take his techniques and incorporate them into my own style. Everything Tim Holtz is so very distinctive and different that if you get really good at using his products and use his tags and resist papers and the like exactly the way he does, you end up with a beautiful card - but it looks like Tim Holtz made it!!

Rachelrose,
Thanks for that insight on the Tim Holtz-Class. :p I am still deliberating whether I should take it or not - seems like there are so many free videos out there where he or others demoed the techniques already. Did you learn anything new? The Archival-tip sounds like it. I will be on the look out for responses to your question about it.:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #70  
Glitter Guru

drsus, I can't say whether Tim has already demo-ed everything on the course on free videos. But I think I would be safe in saying that he goes into quite a bit of detail in the course and that he goes over pretty much everything in his product line (inks, pearls, papers, markers, stains, dabbers, etc.) and explains not only what it does but why. I don't have all of the Distress line by any means, and don't plan to buy everything either... but after watching the course I could now do some of the techniques (they are all very cool) with non-Ranger products, because I know their properties. That's why it is called Creative Chemistry. I did learn an awful lot and don't regret the $35 it cost. Besides, you also can go onto the forum and read all the questions and answers that were posted during the course. You can no longer post questions, but you can read what was asked when the course was interactive, and you have access to all of this forever, so you can go back and rewatch/reread anytime as many times as you like. And of course you can print out the PDF's for the whole course, so it's like a mini manual.

Hope this helps you make up your mind.

I am taking the Stretch Your Stamps course at the moment as well. It's nice doing it interactively. I am trying to stay with the concept of stretching my stamps and not turn the course into "Shop For The Stamps They Use In Stretch Your Stamps" but this is proving challenging because the projects have been great and, well, we all know what an addiction stamps are! But I am learning a lot from great teachers and am glad I signed onto this course.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 07-12-2012 at 04:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #71  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks so much, Rachelrose!
It did help me make up my mind. I think I'll ask my hubby to buy that as my birthday gift. The challenge will be NOT to buy everything that's demoed - I tend to do that...;) But it made sense what you said about using what you already have.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and have fun at the stretch your stamps class!
By the way, if you haven't seen the videos of "(Holiday)Thinking inking" - they are awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2012, 04:55 AM   #72  
Glitter Guru

Happy to help. Hope you enjoy it. Good luck with not buying stuff... or, alternately, have fun buying some very cool stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I am taking the Stretch Your Stamps course at the moment as well. It's nice doing it interactively. I am trying to stay with the concept of stretching my stamps and not turn the course into "Shop For The Stamps They Use In Stretch Your Stamps" but this is proving challenging because the projects have been great and, well, we all know what an addiction stamps are! But I am learning a lot from great teachers and am glad I signed onto this course.
I too am taking that class and trying to stretch my stamps and not my dollars I'm enjoying that class quite a bit as it makes me go outside my comfort zone and fuels me to try different things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #74  
Gallery Gazer

Unfortunately, I stretched my dollars and bought the entire supply list. I think it's going to be an awesome mail day today or tomorrow!!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #75  
Glitter Guru

Seems like there are a number of us in Stretch Your Stamps. Should we start a thread? Then we can chat about the class and the projects together. Still a whole week left to go. I got up this morning thinking it was Saturday and thought "Oh darn, no class!" but then I remembered it was only Friday!

I plan to spend the weekend playing with some of the techniques I've particularly liked. (And probably doing a little bit more shopping, I will confess in advance.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #76  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Seems like there are a number of us in Stretch Your Stamps. Should we start a thread? Then we can chat about the class and the projects together. Still a whole week left to go. I got up this morning thinking it was Saturday and thought "Oh darn, no class!" but then I remembered it was only Friday!

I plan to spend the weekend playing with some of the techniques I've particularly liked. (And probably doing a little bit more shopping, I will confess in advance.)
Hey Rachel!

I'm hoping my SSS order arrives today. Some of the stamps used in this class are not my style at all, so I HAD to buy them. I guess I didn't HAVE to buy them all, though! I didn't do any of the projects yesterday because I don't have any graphic stamps. I plan to go back over and play with some of the techniques again this weekend as well. It will give me something to do while I am avoiding packing!

Have fun shopping! One thing I don't have that I am considering is the Cut and Dry Felt or whatever it was called. Do you have that?
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #77  
Glitter Guru

No, and the only reason I don't is because I don't have any Distress Ink Reinkers. I know the reinkers are in my future because I have the Distress Ink pads, but since I already have seventeen pads and there at least five more colors I want, the investment in reinkers will be significant. When I bite the bullet and buy the reinkers, I'll definitely get the Cut and Dry Felt so I can play with making the custom ink pads. I really love that technique. Tim Holtz does it (using that Papillion Stamp featured in the collage class) in Creative Chemistry 101 and I fell in love with it then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've taken several at Big Picture Classes and have enjoyed majority of them. I do like the fact that you have lifetime access to the materials. That's especially helpful for me as I'm unable to keep up with the pace of the class.

Shimelle offers some pretty cool classes and the nice thing about hers is that they repeat each year and once you sign-up and pay for one year you have access to every year's class material after that. Journal Your Christmas is a pretty popular class of hers.

I have taken two classes at My Creative Classroom. I have mixed feelings about them. You do not get unlimited access to the class materials and it's not a video but more like a slideshow with voice over. You do get pdf documents to print out but you need to get them before you lose access. I learned what I needed to know to better operate my Cricut Expression and Gypsy but, I did think the format could have been better.

Currently I'm signed up with Online Card Classes and I'm actually taking last year's Summer Card Camp. Each week you learn new color combinations, techniques, and sketches for designs. I've only actually read through the materials and watched the videos for the first two lessons but, I do feel it's going to worth the price. And since I'm taking it a year later, I get it for a cheaper price.;)

So all in all I love the idea of online card classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #79  
Glitter Guru

I hadn't thought of the Card Camp class, but I looked at and it sounds interesting. I am totally happy with my Online Card Classes experience and will no doubt keep taking classes. For someone like me who can't get to actual live classes or camps it is invaluable. I was thinking about A Cut Above since I only got my Big Shot two months ago and I think there's a lot to learn there, but maybe the Card Camp would be the next thing. Or both! I could just sit in front of my computer all day long and watch card technique videos, with frequent breaks for online card supply shopping sprees.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #80  
Stampin' Fool

I'm doing SYS too, it is AWESOME though I can't keep up. I'm doing well if I get one card done in a day! Oh well, I'm kind of getting 10 weeks for the price of 2 if you think about it!
Reply With Quote Likes