Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Are you interested in SU only discussion thread?
I'll be checking and participating often 180 57.14%
I'll wait to see what others do 9 2.86%
It's already happening elsewhere 26 8.25%
Don't care one way or another 101 32.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #81  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
Stamp your image, coat the entire cardstock piece with Versamark ink, sprinkle Glassy Glaze EP over the whole thing, and heat set. Repeat the Glassy Glaze step twice immediately, then stick the piece in the freezer for a few minutes. When you take it out, bend and twist the cardstock and the Glassy Glaze will crack. The more you bend and twist it, the more cracks.

If you want you can rub Chocolate Chip craft ink into the cracks to make them more pronounced and the glass will look kind of vintage. It's really cool--worth the work!
Thank you so much! I can't wait to try it!!!:mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #82  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
You may WANT a happy SUO place, but you are clearly not entitled to it here- and THAT is my point.

Maybe SU should FINALLY step up after all these years and provide you with that place.
The strength of your language is very interesting to me. I am missing why you have such a strong opinion about this. Not saying your opinion is wrong, it just seems to be very strongly held and I'm wondering why. Honestly no offense meant, I just hate to not be clued in. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #83  

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber_smith1983View Post
Thank you so much! I can't wait to try it!!!:mrgreen:
You are very welcome. :-D It is really cool. Kinda putzy, but cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #84  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

You may WANT a happy SUO place, but you are clearly not entitled to it here- and THAT is my point.

Maybe SU should FINALLY step up after all these years and provide you with that place.
Maybe you should go take a deep breath or something....you are starting to annoy me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #85  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

It is my understanding that the SU stampers want a place here to call their own, not Stampin Up. There is a difference between a direct sales company like Stampin Up and the member companies on SCS.

SCS is big enough for all of us to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #86  

Am I right that none of the direct-sales companies are SCS member companies? So SU is not doing anything out of the ordinary by not being one, correct? Just wondering. I haven't seen a TAC, CMTH, CM or whatever one but I haven't paid much attention, truth be told.

There must be a reason for this. These companies aren't stupid--if they felt like it was beneficial or whatever, they'd have done it by now, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #87  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy929View Post
Thanks for that tip!

I think SCS should have a SU message area. I realize the other companies pay to have their section... but SU has their own demo section here. Can't we have just one little section for us non-demos? Talking about SU is how SCS started, I think they need to go back to their roots some.

that would be really nice!

someone mentioned in an earlier reply to just keep starting 'positive SU! threads'...

well the last one i saw about someone who posted a couple cards she made with SU! DSP and was so delighted at how simple it is to work with SU! products...

there are always people who have to chime in with the negative SU! remarks! it really is hard to have a truly 'positive' SU! thread around here it seems!

i'm just sayin'!

OK... stepping down
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

and then there it was...

i knew i wouldn't have to read much further before i would see it.

and there seems to be something familiar... hmmm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #89  
Glitter Queen

Default ink pad labels

Does anyone know if SU still carries labels for the new "in colors" of ink pads. I have about 32 that are not identified on the end.

Just love a place I can go to for help after hours.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #90  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

The strength of your language is very interesting to me. I am missing why you have such a strong opinion about this. Not saying your opinion is wrong, it just seems to be very strongly held and I'm wondering why. Honestly no offense meant, I just hate to not be clued in. : )
To clue you in:

In spite of so many new companies at SCS in recent years, and in spite of the sale of SCS, the members whose connection to SCS is through SU seem to have either forgotten or disregarded the fact that this is no longer connected to SU in any way.

There is a disparaging tone to many of the SU enthusiastic posts in this thread. They bemoan the loss of the SUO atmosphere, and complain about the member company threads. It is the member companies who are footing the bill for keeping SCS open!

There is, in some of the posts, even a sense of entitlement- like SU users somehow deserve to have their own area.

Other stamping companies have provided places for their fans to talk about their products- here, through the member companies, with Yahoo groups, with forums on their sites, etc. I haven't read anyone demanding a Hero Arts Only forum, or a Whiff of Joy Only forum or an Impression Obsession Only forum. By what right do SU users think that they deserve special treatment here?

When I want to talk exclusively about one stamp company I go to the site that company provides- and every stamp company I order from does provide such an outlet for me. I don't expect to find that here.

My language is a result of the language I've read here. You yourself said that you wanted to "reclaim the forums"- certainly a territorial commentary if ever I read one. The forums are not yours (either you personally or the SUO people) to reclaim!

I have nothing against SU- I own a lot of their stamps myself. They were very savvy- they got years of massive online support and marketing with no effort and no cost outlay. That's smart business. But now that SCS is independently owned, SU has no more stature here than any other stamp company which is not a member company.

If SU customers want a happy SUO place, then SU should be providing it. It is not SCS's responsibility.

Does that "clue you in"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #91  
Matboard Maniac

Default ENOUGH ALREADY

The OP started this thread in a very nice, positive way so if we can just do that. There's just too much threads & postings that have caused soo much negativety when it comes to SU & other companies; those who like & does not like SU.

As what the OP said on the 1st page, a place/thread to show your CREATIONS, IDEAS & ARTISTRY. Let's start to create, share ideas & be artistic.

Aloha!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #92  
Stampin' Fool

Uh, I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by posting this, but there's a great SUO site: www.stampinaddicts.com that has lots of galleries, forums, etc. that are all SU! Great challenges, contests, discussions, etc. Check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #93  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Does someone have a card or something to share with this. I guess I am just not visualizing it but since I am getting my SU order ready to go in I want to know more so I can see if I can add just one more thing to my order. BTW thank you for explaining it---the instructions are clear I just don't know what it looks like in the end.

Quote:

Stamp your image, coat the entire cardstock piece with Versamark ink, sprinkle Glassy Glaze EP over the whole thing, and heat set. Repeat the Glassy Glaze step twice immediately, then stick the piece in the freezer for a few minutes. When you take it out, bend and twist the cardstock and the Glassy Glaze will crack. The more you bend and twist it, the more cracks.

If you want you can rub Chocolate Chip craft ink into the cracks to make them more pronounced and the glass will look kind of vintage. It's really cool--worth the work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #94  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
Does someone have a card or something to share with this. I guess I am just not visualizing it but since I am getting my SU order ready to go in I want to know more so I can see if I can add just one more thing to my order. BTW thank you for explaining it---the instructions are clear I just don't know what it looks like in the end.

Bound4london - CAmomof2 linked to a beautiful card she made with this technique. If my copying her link here doesn't work - her link is in post # 62.

You're in My Prayers Cracked Glass by CAmomof2 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #95  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Thanks Jan! Guess I missed it---I should be sleeping not on line so I think I will head to bed now. That is a beautiful card. I am always so impressed by everyone's creativity and hope to improve my crafting by following peoples leads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #96  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

Quote:

Search "cracked glass" in the gallery and you will find a whole section of beautiful examples.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 02:16 AM   #97  

Almost any technique that you're looking for, such as the cracked glass technique, can be found here in the Resources section or the master thread of the Technique Lovers Challenge posted every Monday.

From what I understand, SU has in the works a community forum, much like this. Until it becomes available, I don't see a problem with starting SU only threads, but SU chooses not to be a member company. I agree that SCS is doing SU a huge courtesy by still having private demo forums here, which is why SCS started in the first place; that alone shows me that SCS has not lost their "roots."

You can start threads about almost anything here but I think that asking SCS to provide an SU only forum for their customers is unfair.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 03:38 AM   #98  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

To clue you in:

In spite of so many new companies at SCS in recent years, and in spite of the sale of SCS, the members whose connection to SCS is through SU seem to have either forgotten or disregarded the fact that this is no longer connected to SU in any way.

There is a disparaging tone to many of the SU enthusiastic posts in this thread. They bemoan the loss of the SUO atmosphere, and complain about the member company threads. It is the member companies who are footing the bill for keeping SCS open!

There is, in some of the posts, even a sense of entitlement- like SU users somehow deserve to have their own area.

Other stamping companies have provided places for their fans to talk about their products- here, through the member companies, with Yahoo groups, with forums on their sites, etc. I haven't read anyone demanding a Hero Arts Only forum, or a Whiff of Joy Only forum or an Impression Obsession Only forum. By what right do SU users think that they deserve special treatment here?

When I want to talk exclusively about one stamp company I go to the site that company provides- and every stamp company I order from does provide such an outlet for me. I don't expect to find that here.

My language is a result of the language I've read here. You yourself said that you wanted to "reclaim the forums"- certainly a territorial commentary if ever I read one. The forums are not yours (either you personally or the SUO people) to reclaim!

I have nothing against SU- I own a lot of their stamps myself. They were very savvy- they got years of massive online support and marketing with no effort and no cost outlay. That's smart business. But now that SCS is independently owned, SU has no more stature here than any other stamp company which is not a member company.

If SU customers want a happy SUO place, then SU should be providing it. It is not SCS's responsibility.

Does that "clue you in"?

Let me clue YOU IN!

You NEED TO TAKE A CHILL PILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geeze! This is just a FRIENDLY SU discussion, why do people like you think you have to come to posts like this and
make trouble??? Yes, I said it....TROUBLE!

If you don't like the suggestion that the OP was making than be on your way....your ugly comments are not wanted here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 04:35 AM   #99  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahYView Post
It is my understanding that the SU stampers want a place here to call their own, not Stampin Up. There is a difference between a direct sales company like Stampin Up and the member companies on SCS.

That's what I would like to see.

And given the horrible negative posts here, I'd appreciate if those people that don't like SU products kept their comments to themselves in such threads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 AM   #100  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momof2ShihtzusView Post
Let me clue YOU IN!

You NEED TO TAKE A CHILL PILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geeze! This is just a FRIENDLY SU discussion, why do people like you think you have to come to posts like this and
make trouble??? Yes, I said it....TROUBLE!

If you don't like the suggestion that the OP was making than be on your way....your ugly comments are not wanted here!
Sorry- I'm not going anywhere.

So, pointing out that SU people are expecting special treatment is causing trouble? Well, I guess for you maybe it is.

My comments are not "ugly" they are reality. And, they are in response to comments that complain about the companies, and customers, who DO keep SCS going. They are in response to an attitude of entitlement that is both out of place and ludicrous.

What I said was very simple- SU has no role anymore at SCS. SU people can have their own SUO place whenever SU provides it for them. SCS is not only not obligated to provide it for them, it would be blatantly unfair to the member companies who pay to support SCS if they did provide it.

Sorry, but pointing out the obvious and TRUE cannot be accurately called "causing trouble".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #101  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy929View Post
That's what I would like to see.

And given the horrible negative posts here, I'd appreciate if those people that don't like SU products kept their comments to themselves in such threads.
Telling the truth is horrible, huh?

As I stated in previous posts, I own SU products. I have nothing against SU or its products.

I simply was seriously offended by the comments in this thread that indicated that there are those here who feel that they are entitled to special treatment because they are SU demos or SU users.

Start all the SUO threads you like. Talk about SUO forever. No problem as long as the SUO folks don't complain about the member companies who pay to keep SCS open and their threads, or talk about "reclaiming" what is not theirs to reclaim!

Use SCS as much as you like- but with the realization that every other stamp company out there has the same standing. SU is NOT special here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #102  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigan StamperView Post
Uh, I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by posting this, but there's a great SUO site: www.stampinaddicts.com that has lots of galleries, forums, etc. that are all SU! Great challenges, contests, discussions, etc. Check it out.
I just stopped by that site and it's pretty impressive - lots of familiar faces, and lots and lots of SU. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 05:38 AM   #103  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahYView Post

Sarah- I fully agree that SCS is big enough for all of us to enjoy.

My point is that "SU stampers want a place here to call their own". Why would they think they should have it? Other than the member companies, does any other stamp company get a place of its own here?

I don't care how many SUO threads there are here. What offended me was the idea that somehow SUO folks thought they SHOULD have special treatment here- a "place of their own".

Regardless of the sales model, SU is a stamp company and is not a member company. Its fans need to use SCS the same way that fans of any stamp company that is not a member company do.

I have no problem with SU- I use some of their products myself. And I understand that it is not SU, the company, that is the issue here. It is those who think they are special, and should be treated as such, just because they use SU, who are the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 05:44 AM   #104  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenstamperView Post
Bound4london - CAmomof2 linked to a beautiful card she made with this technique. If my copying her link here doesn't work - her link is in post # 62.

You're in My Prayers Cracked Glass by CAmomof2 at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks for sharing that card, it is beautiful! I have never ventured into the cracked glass technique, don't know why. In fact, I have never tried half of the techniques posted.....guess I get comfortable with my tried and true techs.

I know there are challenges out there for folks like me but, there's no one here in my studio kicking me in the butt to try them! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #105  
Mad Swapper

Now I am going to have to try cracked glass, thanks for the link to that card. I have seen it off and on, but haven't attempted to do it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #106  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaLinView Post
Now I am going to have to try cracked glass, thanks for the link to that card. I have seen it off and on, but haven't attempted to do it yet.
Let us know when you finish and post your creation, I would love to see it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #107  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigan StamperView Post
Oh, you had to go and link to that site! :rolleyes: Splitcoast is bad enough. I really don't need another stamping destination on the internet ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #108  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber_smith1983View Post
Can someone pleeeeeeeeeeeease explain the cracked glass technique to me. i want to try it so bad but the way I was doing it did not work. Thanks. :confused:
Do you know about our resource section. You can find this technique as well as many others in step by step tutorials there.

Cracked Glass Tutorial

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 06:51 AM   #109  
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Quote:

We have a separate gallery under Technique Spotlight for this technique:

Cracked Glass Gallery

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #110  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverenuffstampsView Post
This is one of the many reasons I love Stampin' Up! When I first started stamping, I went to lots of places in an effort to find things to coordinate for my cardmaking. After spending quite a bit and still having trouble getting everything to match, I realized it was easier for me to make a really nice card with SU! supplies, because everything went together so well! Like you said, it limits my options in a good way!
Ditto. I love the way everything matches, it makes it effortless to buy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 AM   #111  
Die Cut Diva

Post Let's get going!

So, I think you have enough feedback to know that many people are interested in a SUO thread. We get why we can't have a forum. Why not just start a new thread - SUO or SU Lovers Only or what have you and leave the negative talk behind? :cool:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #112  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
So, I think you have enough feedback to know that many people are interested in a SUO thread. We get why we can't have a forum. Why not just start a new thread - SUO or SU Lovers Only or what have you and leave the negative talk behind? :cool:
GREAT idea! Have fun with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #113  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
I would LOVE an SU Forum within General Stamping. Jenn Balcer, where are you? Could you do that, have it within this forum? Kinda like we got the MDS Forum within the demo area? Doesn't need to be like a Member Company.
I'm here and waving Hi!

When Elaine contacted me a little bit ago about a way for SU! customers to talk about SUO stuff, I suggested she start a thread rather than us opening a forum for SUO fan conversations. Anyone can begin a thread about anything here, and if more SUO topics are wanted, it's up to our community to start 'em and keep 'em going.

Want to know how to do the Cracked Glass technique with SU! products? Start a thread asking that in our techniques forum! Interested in the difference between SU! Classic and Pigment inks? Start a thread asking about it here in General Stamping. It's easy, I promise. If you know of a way to do ___ with SU! products, by all means, share when people ask how to do ___!

P.S. Ongoing chat threads are cool, but stuff does sometimes get skipped over. New threads are an awesome way to get quick answers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSaucyStamperView Post
I understand that SCS has sponsered companies but also lately I feel the General Stamping Talk forum is primarily sponsored threads, at least on the first page. JMO.
There are only six Member Company threads on the first page at any given time. If you'd like to not see them, there are instructions stickied at the top of this forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
I just typed in SUO and was amazed! From now on I will put that in my keywords first! I will go see if I can make a button too. Thanks !!
Actually, we've done that for you already! Click on Stampin' Up! Galleries at the top of the gallery page. The top row is full of SUO-keyworded cards, and if you click "More" on the purple bar, you'll get tons of inspiration!

Quote:

What I said was very simple- SU has no role anymore at SCS. SU people can have their own SUO place whenever SU provides it for them. SCS is not only not obligated to provide it for them, it would be blatantly unfair to the member companies who pay to support SCS if they did provide it.
Ah, but SU! has had and does have a role here! Have you ever read the history of Splitcoast? Check it out here,
and here, and here, and here. This part, especially,
Quote:

Will anybody care about Stampin' Up! demos anymore?
Most certainly! SU! demos and customers will always have a home at Splitcoast. Always. We grew as a community in the early days for one reason: you loved what you found here, and you told your friends. We've changed over the last 5 years in many ways, but in other ways the only thing that's different is the date on the calendar. SU! is resident in our DNA here at Splitcoast, plain and simple. Thank you so much for your years of loyalty and support for Splitcoast.
Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #114  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

GREAT idea! Have fun with it!
Thanks! I'm sure we will. :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #115  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
I'm here and waving Hi!

When Elaine contacted me a little bit ago about a way for SU! customers to talk about SUO stuff, I suggested she start a thread rather than us opening a forum for SUO fan conversations. Anyone can begin a thread about anything here, and if more SUO topics are wanted, it's up to our community to start 'em and keep 'em going.

Want to know how to do the Cracked Glass technique with SU! products? Start a thread asking that in our techniques forum! Interested in the difference between SU! Classic and Pigment inks? Start a thread asking about it here in General Stamping. It's easy, I promise. If you know of a way to do ___ with SU! products, by all means, share when people ask how to do ___!

P.S. Ongoing chat threads are cool, but stuff does sometimes get skipped over. New threads are an awesome way to get quick answers!

There are only six Member Company threads on the first page at any given time. If you'd like to not see them, there are instructions stickied at the top of this forum.

Actually, we've done that for you already! Click on Stampin' Up! Galleries at the top of the gallery page. The top row is full of SUO-keyworded cards, and if you click "More" on the purple bar, you'll get tons of inspiration!

Ah, but SU! has had and does have a role here! Have you ever read the history of Splitcoast? Check it out here,
Hope that helps.
Thanks, Jenn. That helps in a variety of areas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #116  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Jenn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
Hope that helps.
Thanks, Jenn...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #118  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Jenn- I knew the history but you made a lot of things clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #119  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Jen. I didn't know the whole history, so that was a very interesting read for me!

Love this part, especially the DNA reference, hehe:

Most certainly! SU! demos and customers will always have a home at Splitcoast. Always. We grew as a community in the early days for one reason: you loved what you found here, and you told your friends. We've changed over the last 5 years in many ways, but in other ways the only thing that's different is the date on the calendar. SU! is resident in our DNA here at Splitcoast, plain and simple. Thank you so much for your years of loyalty and support for Splitcoast.

Thanks again for sharing the history. Good stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #120  
Pearl-ExPert

Donna, your Blog is wonderful!! I just took a look!!
Reply With Quote Likes