Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #121  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all so funny, especially the fairy (and yes, there is one at my house, like the ribbon I lost today, or the scissors which were right in front of me all the time?). Something else I've done, which is really stupid, is to stick my finger on my embossed image to see if it's cooled, especially large, all-over embossed images. Guess what? It's usually not, I leave a fingerprint (at least I can just heat it again to get rid of it), and I burn my finger in the process! Duh!

My Blog - Shoebox Stampers
There are no mistakes in stamping,
just embellishment opportunities!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #122  
Compulsive Stamper

Default My biggest mistake

I am obsessed with Twinklin H2Os. Unless I'm doing a demo, I swear every card for every holiday is done in Twinks. And considering all of the holidays we have, you'd think I'd have learned by now... Do NOT, under ANY circumstance, go to bed and leave a glass of water anywhere in the vicinity of your completed Twink-painted images. BECAUSE... your EVIL black cat Pluto (yes, that's my cat's name, and his brother is Cosmo) WILL find that glass of water, play with it, and then spill it all over your 20+ card fronts. And people wonder why I don't send any cards out...

My other mistake is trying to play too early in the morning. I'm not a big coffee drinker, and sometimes it shows. The last time I tried to play too early was when I was the MOH in my BF's wedding. The day before the wedding, I decided to make the card. Her colors were brown and robin's egg blue. I had the perfect 12 x 12 DS paper from Paper Salon for the card, right? I needed two, just two, pieces. One as a mat, so 5 1/4" x 4", and the second mat was something like 2" x 3". Do you know I used the ENTIRE piece of paper for that ONE card? I could not for the life of me cut the right size for either mat that morning. Maybe I can't get by without any caffeine after all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #123  
Glitter Queen

One thing I do all the time is buy something I really cant live without, and then, months later I cant find it when I finally need to use it!! So frustrating - maybe it is one of those fairies flying around.

Jayne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #124  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by monique1019View Post
I am obsessed with Twinklin H2Os. Unless I'm doing a demo, I swear every card for every holiday is done in Twinks. And considering all of the holidays we have, you'd think I'd have learned by now... Do NOT, under ANY circumstance, go to bed and leave a glass of water anywhere in the vicinity of your completed Twink-painted images. BECAUSE... your EVIL black cat Pluto (yes, that's my cat's name, and his brother is Cosmo) WILL find that glass of water, play with it, and then spill it all over your 20+ card fronts. And people wonder why I don't send any cards out...

My other mistake is trying to play too early in the morning. I'm not a big coffee drinker, and sometimes it shows. The last time I tried to play too early was when I was the MOH in my BF's wedding. The day before the wedding, I decided to make the card. Her colors were brown and robin's egg blue. I had the perfect 12 x 12 DS paper from Paper Salon for the card, right? I needed two, just two, pieces. One as a mat, so 5 1/4" x 4", and the second mat was something like 2" x 3". Do you know I used the ENTIRE piece of paper for that ONE card? I could not for the life of me cut the right size for either mat that morning. Maybe I can't get by without any caffeine after all.
LOL I have a very stinky kitty named Inky who does the same thing! Have a jar of rhinestones open? She'll swipe at it and send rhinestones flying all over... same applies to any delicate/fragile object (like glitter or embossing powder-anything that's really hard to pick up!), and I can't leave any liquids because she SPILLS them all over my crafty tables! She has an obsession with swiping at stuff and she makes me scream in frustration when she ruins yet another one of my almost done projects!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #125  
Inking Addict

This is so helpful, I am a newbie and I am learning soooo much from your 'mishaps' it remains to be seen how much I learn when I do the exact same thing myself :rolleyes: Remember though, many great discoveries are made by "mistake" you could all be developing a new technique, the "inky-fingered-crooked-left handed card"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #126  
Polyshrink Goddess

Aren't cats wonderful? Mine likes to sleep on the pages if I leave them out to finish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #127  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]View Post
Aren't cats wonderful? Mine likes to sleep on the pages if I leave them out to finish.
No cat in this house, was thinking about adopting another one to replace our old boy who passed last year but in the sake of creativity, hmmmmmm maybe not;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #128  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, but then comes that little kitten, artistic, charming and loveable. Then what?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #129  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]View Post
Yes, but then comes that little kitten, artistic, charming and loveable. Then what?
Scrappymoodnz is staying AWAY from the pet store LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #130  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Me too

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyspencerView Post
Whenever I am putting brads or ribbon on a card, I always seem to do it last - after I have already assembled all the layers. Then I need to pull the layers off so that I can tuck the ribbon under or put the brad through without it going all the way to the base of the card. If I could only remember to do it before I assemble the card, I would have a much "flatter" card...
this is my big goof up!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #131  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
Getting things lined up evenly!:twisted: Nothing is EVER straight! I have bcome rather "famous" :rolleyes: amongst the recipients of my cards! If it is crooked, they KNOW I sent it even without looking for a signature! :twisted: LOL!
Kitty I do that a lot too - straight? What does it mean?

Hey I just figure it gives it character. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #132  
Pearl-ExPert

My biggest problem is losing my scissors and my tweezers. They are under something all the time. I spend more time looking for scissors than anything else.

SO I keep buying more pairs. Because if I have a ton of pairs then surely one will be where it's supposed to be. Nope. I still spend a half hour searching.

My scissors have the strangest tendency to end up in weird places. I found a pair the other day on the bookshelf, with all my non-scrappin' related books. What on earth did I need scissors over there for? I haven't the foggiest idea. I was just glad to have finally located a pair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #133  
Matboard Maniac

Have read all the mistakes that are habitually made by all and find that we are all alike as stampers. My DH also does not like to let me off at the Craft Direct store or Michaels. It seems I can always find something.

I am the champion crooked stamper of all time. People know the card is from me because the stamped greeting is crooked.

I buy really great stamping stuff and then don't use it because I like it too much. But I have to become a stamper instead of a collector. I must be at the end of the buying spree because the new SU book held little that I wanted and nothing that I needed. I must use what I have. I need to use what I have. Thanks for listening. Happy Stamping. Jean GBY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #134  
Matboard Maniac

Location: A quiet woodsy retirement place in Northern Georgia
Default upside down!!!

Ever get your card front assembled and then attach it to the wrong side so the opening is on the opposite side or at the top instead of the bottom???? I have done this soooo many times, what is WRONG with me?????

Live simply, Love generously

All those who seek, shall find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #135  
Polyshrink Goddess

I always forget to use my embossing chalk bag thingy.
~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #136  
Embossing Fanatic

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat3View Post
LOL! I went so far as to name my blog "The Crooked Stamper". My customers congratulate me when I get something straight. My famous repeated boo-boo is making the 'perfect' card, then stamping the sentiment crooked.
This so funny because I do the same thing...I always blame it on my cutter (good excuse to buy another one..have quite a few now) My fav is when I get everything finished excet stamping the sentiment inside of a finished card..and low and behold..the stamp is not inked up good enough and ..BAM..half a sentiment!!! I have learned to make atleast 2 of every card..I save the mishap for design purposes only! This thread is so funny and entertaining..I feel like I am reading about myself!LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #137  
Embossing Fanatic

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Oh, this thread makes me feel so much better, because I do all these. But I think my biggest pet peeve is loosing something I was just working on. I just had it in my hand, set it down and then poof, it's gone! Not on the floor, not on the desk, not on the card, I swear the Paper Fairy comes in takes my stuff. I give up looking for it, and make a another. then some time later, the Paper Fairy brings it back, only she glues it to my sleeve or my leg. I think she really has a sick sense of humor....
LOL I THINK SHE HAS BEEN TO MY SCRAP ROOM TOO!!!HAHAHA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #138  
Embossing Fanatic

Talking

[QUOTE=telliott68;13038331]I have the entire front of the card complete. Ribbon, brads, cool embellishments....and then I stamp the &^%$#$%^ sentiment on cooked!!!

Ugh! It makes me sooo mad. When will I ever learn?

Traci[/QUOTE

traci--I have on word for you SU STAMP-A-MA-JIG
My friends jayne and Ruth turned me on to this after 100's of mishaps!!
You can place and center that sentiment or stamp evenly..it is a def must for us stampers!! This thread is soooooo funny!Been there...done that..with most ofmthese posts!! GOOD LUCK RONNITA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #139  
Embossing Fanatic

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChemspiceView Post
This is a great thread!
I think one of my biggest is not planning out my card when I make it and checking my supplies. There are times when I'd see a challenge, get all gung-ho and build as I go which includes, cutting, gluing, punching, glittering, etc...I'd think...OH! That (brads, ribbon, DP,CS, etc) would be great and when I'd go to look for it, I can never find it so I spend most of my time looking for it. By the time I think of something else, it doesn't go with what I have and then I take half of it apart, realize that now there's a hole that shouldn't be there anymore and...it goes on....then I realize that I've spent too much time in my craft room and haven't accomplished anything!
I'm trying to get better but there's the odd time I'll slip...OH HEY! I'll just go make a "quick" card...
Funny...it takes 20 minutes to make a;) card.....3 hours to locate everything else and 3 hours to clean up my mess!! I know Hallmark needs me..but NO TIME..gotta go clean my room...again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #140  
Pearl-ExPert

this is me too .... :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbftView Post
Guilty of all charges . . . :( I think my most frustrating boo-boo is smearing my Stickles. Even if I do put 'em on last, I still find a way to stick a finger or another piece of paper on them and smear them. Aaaaargh!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #141  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: scrappin and cat napping in the thumb of Minglerville
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default finger prints

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenniferCRView Post
Yep, me too! I hate it! I throw so many things out or junk them for scraps because of my inky fingerprints! Sooo incredibly annoying! Anyone have any types on how to avoid this from happening in the first place?
I occassionaly do that also and when I do I decide I need to ink it all over so it looks as if I did it on purpose. I either use ink on paper, a stipple brush or a sponge. It turns out looking great. I like the distressed look. I also learned not to be so critical. No one seems to notice what I think is a mistake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 03:50 AM   #142  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean HoyerView Post
Have read all the mistakes that are habitually made by all and find that we are all alike as stampers. My DH also does not like to let me off at the Craft Direct store or Michaels. It seems I can always find something.

I am the champion crooked stamper of all time. People know the card is from me because the stamped greeting is crooked.

I buy really great stamping stuff and then don't use it because I like it too much. But I have to become a stamper instead of a collector. I must be at the end of the buying spree because the new SU book held little that I wanted and nothing that I needed. I must use what I have. I need to use what I have. Thanks for listening. Happy Stamping. Jean GBY
I know what you mean I have a whole room of stuff. I'm a scrapbooker but have spent the last year making cards and instead of scrapbooking. After the big Mingle I am getting back to scrapbooking. But I have told myself so many times I'm only going to buy glue or advesive next time and of course I just went and bought all kinds of cardstock for card making that was on sale at Michaels for making more cards. I hope to get over my collecting and start using what I have very soon. It is an addiction. Do they at AA for scrapbookers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 AM   #143  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default crafty cats

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibaa4foodView Post
LOL I have a very stinky kitty named Inky who does the same thing! Have a jar of rhinestones open? She'll swipe at it and send rhinestones flying all over... same applies to any delicate/fragile object (like glitter or embossing powder-anything that's really hard to pick up!), and I can't leave any liquids because she SPILLS them all over my crafty tables! She has an obsession with swiping at stuff and she makes me scream in frustration when she ruins yet another one of my almost done projects!
I'm lucky mine (I have 6) don't spill stuff, they just leave foot prints all over my projects after walking in my ink and glitter and they decide that since I am in my room that is when they want attention and keep jumping in my lap to get petted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #144  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default twinkles

Quote:

Originally Posted by monique1019View Post

I've never used the twinkles what are they like? You can PM me if you want. Are you coming to the Minlge in MArch in Bay City?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 04:00 AM   #145  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default clean up

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadiejane929View Post
I am reading this thread and thinking "been there, done that"! My two repeating mistakes that get to me the most are forgetting the embossing buddy (what is really sad is I have two of them & STILL forget to use them!) and not cleaning up after a stamping session. The next time I am in the mood to stamp, I have to spend time clearing off the table before I can even begin stamping.
I have that problem also I do a project and then something comes up and I leave and then when I come back I usually work on another project on top of the last one and I may do three projects before I finally am working in such a small area that I have to clean up or I run out of room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #146  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default cutter

Quote:

Originally Posted by FubsyRuthView Post
My worst consistent mistake is forgetting to change the blade in my Fiskars trimmer so I end up cutting instead of scoring - that is VERY annoying!

The air turns blue in my craft room with the bad language and I always ask "why oh why have I NOT learned that yet"?
Thats funny I just started using my score blade and I did that same thing the other day or else I think I have my cutter blade in and I push down to hard on my scrore blade and I cut thru instead of score.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 AM   #147  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default floss

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
Ditto to all of the above and for some reason I cannot (even with the SU paper piercing template) get brads or eyelets evenly spaced/straight. Grrr! Always the last thing I add to the card, too.

ps-for all you ladies taking layers off of your cards, try dental floss and "floss" it off. I read that tip in the "favorite tip" thread and it works awesome! No more curled paper!
What a great idea. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #148  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Great idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJillView Post
But it would be a great gift for a left handed person! :-)

You have just given me a great idea. My brother is left handed, so I think I will start making his cards left handed. You are really on to something. That's why I love SCS, everyone is always thinkin' !

As far as the subject line...I still (after 12 years of stamping) still lay my cards down on open ink pads and put my layers down crooked. Only slightly, but enough to drive this type A personality nuts!

See my gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=14784
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #149  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler so nothing I make is totally straight. I'm not type A happily or I would be battier than I am.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #150  
Insane Embellisher

I often have to stamp an image 2 or 3 times to get it right...first I won't push hard enough, so there are lines missing, then I get all enthusiastic and push too hard and get the edge with a line of ink, or the lines are smushed...it just goes on.
How many times do others have to stamp to get a clear image?
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #151  
Matboard Maniac

Location: A quiet woodsy retirement place in Northern Georgia
Default more goofs

I love reading about the "mistakes" you all claim to make, and I can say "been there done that" to most of them
---dragging my pristine cardstock through an inkpad I left open
---losing my scissors, stamp block, or the image I had JUST stamped under scraps on the table, also brads, eyelets, ribbon, you name it!!
---leaving the perfect sentiment for last on a card that is pretty decent, then stamping it crooked, upside down, or just making a poor impression to start with
---not letting glitter, stickles, or anything else sticky to dry enough and have them rub off or just fall off
---slicing crooked or too short when layering. I can NEVER get a nice layered effect unless I punch out the layers.

Need I go on???? You all have made me see it's just not ME, after all!
Thanks for sharing all goofy goofs---This is a fun forum!!

Live simply, Love generously

All those who seek, shall find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #152  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmcgraw01View Post
I often have to stamp an image 2 or 3 times to get it right...first I won't push hard enough, so there are lines missing, then I get all enthusiastic and push too hard and get the edge with a line of ink, or the lines are smushed...it just goes on.
How many times do others have to stamp to get a clear image?
Leah
UGH I have such problems stamping correctly, I once disliked stamping and made my boyfriend do it for me when I joined image swaps. Thank goodness I am getting a bit better now, but it still takes me a few tries to stamp something like it should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #153  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
Getting things lined up evenly!:twisted: Nothing is EVER straight! I have bcome rather "famous" :rolleyes: amongst the recipients of my cards! If it is crooked, they KNOW I sent it even without looking for a signature! :twisted: LOL!
LOL - another crooked-er here! But I've come close! LOL:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #154  
Gallery Gazer

I ALWAYS (well, almost always) have in mind ribbon that I am going to put on a card then put my layers on forgetting the ribbon then trying to either take off the layer (never really works) or just pullling up the edges to stick the ribbon ends under it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #155  
Rubber Obsessor

Leah - I am so glad I am not the only one on this website that has that problem! I tend to want to give up stamping b/c I am just not very good at it. I watch thet tutorials and they get it perfect everytime - even when it doesnt look like they covered the entire stamp.. or they don't stamp it hard enough... or they use markers - but alas, perfect everytime! I must be doing something wrong! Maybe practice makes perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 05:00 AM   #156  
Stampin' Fool

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorinnaOARView Post
Leah - I am so glad I am not the only one on this website that has that problem! I tend to want to give up stamping b/c I am just not very good at it. I watch thet tutorials and they get it perfect everytime - even when it doesnt look like they covered the entire stamp.. or they don't stamp it hard enough... or they use markers - but alas, perfect everytime! I must be doing something wrong! Maybe practice makes perfect!
IF the part not inked well is SMALL, you might try CHEATING! LOL! By that I mean using a Pigma MICRON black pen to fill in the uninked spots.

A word of caution, though. Do NOT let COPICS touch those spots! They will bleed. :rolleyes: Want to ask to how I know? LOL! Last night's image was completely ruined when I tried to touch up the little boy's face and his eyes smeared all over! :twisted:

And I am SURE I will wind up doing it again some day! :twisted: :twisted:

Last edited by kitty14; 02-13-2009 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #157  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch1View Post
I usually leave the lid off the ink pad while I'm working then some part of the card ends up in it. Why haven't I learnt?
OMG - I do this ALL the time! I was actually proud of myself today for remembering to put the lid on before moving any other paper.

but there still had to be a mistake somewhere, of course, so I ended up dropping a marker (which I covered with a new layover of cardstock) and covering outside the lines...

*sigh*

I guess, if it was perfect, it wouldn't be handmade, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #158  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by nani.jennView Post
I guess, if it was perfect, it wouldn't be handmade, right?
Most card receivers don't even notice small mistakes that you make on a card but if you are like me, the teensiest tiniest mistake sticks out like it has been magnified 1000 times :mad: and that is all I can focus on when I look at it, especially if I have left it to the last minute to make (thats one of my "one mistakes that I still make"). I keep telling myself, if I want perfection then buy a card from the store! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #159  
Matboard Maniac

Default Crooked stamper here too

Me too. I always stamp the sentiment last and it never fails...it is ALWAYS crooked!

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat3View Post
LOL! I went so far as to name my blog "The Crooked Stamper". My customers congratulate me when I get something straight. My famous repeated boo-boo is making the 'perfect' card, then stamping the sentiment crooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #160  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappymoodnzView Post
but if you are like me, the teensiest tiniest mistake sticks out like it has been magnified 1000 times
*sigh*

EXACTLY! It's so hard to balance my OCD with my creativity! I tell myself over and over that there are no mistakes, just creative opportunities, but it's like convincing yourself that you can throw away that last piece of chocloate cake without eating it... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes