Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh no price increase

I just viewed the sample F/W catalog and noticed that 8-1/2 x 11 CS went up from $4.95 to $5.50, same for ink pads. This was on the special new colors, so does that mean the current traditional colors will go up in price as well? :confused:
Cher
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #2  
CRAZY DAISY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my sister seems to think the ink pads will go up too.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

The cardstock thing is a killer. It seems way too high for 24 sheets. I know it's awesome stuff, but that's a lot per piece, to me it is anyway
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #4  
CRAZY DAISY

i meant to add that it is only .30...
don't know about the paper...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I read somewhere that all accessories, including cardstock and ink were going up by 5%. I think the prices have been fairly stable for a while, so I'm not terribly surprised. It is also a way to get a higher shipping price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

This is the first across-the-board price increase (averaging 5%) that Stampin' Up! has had in 10 years - what else can we say that about? Still a fantastic deal, considering what you pay per stamp if you go to a LSS!

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
- ee cummings

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

it's not much - you should see what I'm paying for gas!!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Default price increase

this is a real bummer for me. I'll definitely have to cut back on the stamps in favor of cardstock. Are all sets going up? Even retired sets. I may have to get that last set before the price increase in July.
"May the LORD reward your work, and your wages be full from the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to seek refuge." Ruth 2:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly WallaceView Post
Are all sets going up? Even retired sets. I may have to get that last set before the price increase in July.
I would assume thst the price increase would not affect the retired sets since they will no longer be available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Seems like a small increase to me. Have you been to the grocery store lately? Prices are soaring everywhere, gas, milk, everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

It seems like a heck of a increase to me. Stampin Up stuff is sometimes great, but they aren't the only game in town. I know this tends to be a very pro SU board, but I admit I am cheap and I will be buying some things from my demo before the increase begins and some things, like paper, at the scrapbook store or with coupons at Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I think it works out to less than .25 a sheet but I was a summer school attendee for math. I pay .60 a sheet for bazzill in my LSS. It's the only thing that is similar in quaility.

I was one of those customers that was not going to pay SU prices for paper or get sucked in by the matching stuff. Now I'm a demo :rolleyes: :mrgreen: It's amazing cs and I may get stickles and scalloped punches and gelly roll pens but I only get my cs from SU. A lot of times if you look at the price per page or per yard of ribbon on whatever SU really is a considerably cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 143 Likes on 77 Posts

it still is only .23 a sheet, and its great paper. ill admit, im pro SU, im a demo. but before becoming a demo i used to buy all the inexpensive paper packs at places like hobby lobby and micheals, and they are so much thinner, and if you buy by the sheet at archivers, its between .30 and .35 for a single sheet. so im not too bummed about the increase, although i did just put in a large order for packs of my favorite, most used colors. i sometimes get coupons for 3 free sheets of paper at archivers, and i used to still go and get it, because i figured, its free why not, but now with gas prices and value of my time, i dont anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

And I think it ends up being a .02 increase per sheet. Where's sharon to check my math?:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I will forgo other products from other companies before I give up my SU! I LOVE the inks, the cardstock, and the stamps. I just purchased a couple of stamps that I HAD to HAVE from my LSS and guess what . . . one was $10 and one was $8. $18 for TWO STAMPS! That's almost CRAZY! Were they BIG you ask? NO - I am measuring now . . . the $10 sentiment stamp is 3x1.75 inches. The other stamp that was $8 is a pheasant and it measures 2x2 inches. SU might as well increase their prices . . . seems like everyone else has!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerrie7301View Post
I would assume thst the price increase would not affect the retired sets since they will no longer be available.
You are correct -- retiring sets from the 2006-07 catalog will not be affected as the changes go into effect July 1st.

It does seem like a hardship now because we've just recently experienced price increases on other things we purchase regularly (milk, postage, gas), but as was stated earlier this is the FIRST across-the-board increase for SU! in a decade. Think about what everyday items cost in 1997 compared to now. I'm amazed that they were able to go this long before making a change!

For the record I don't have a lot of extra cash to spend on stamping stuff, and am relying on the instant income from my sales to be able to purchase new goodies or replenish my consumables.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh . . . and those measurements that I just posted? That just measures the wood blocks . . . the actual images are smaller!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

This is not good news. SU stamps have gotten pricier with each new release set over the past few years. Used to be you hardly ever saw a set over $22 and in the last few years sets of as few as 4 stamps can be upwards of $25. I am going to be looking for alternative cardstock and inks and am going to drop my ten club membership of 9 years because I just can no longer do this. With the new companies like Paper Trey offering real bang for my buck, it is going to be ba-bye SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I don't think the price increase is too much. I've checked my local stores and the prices are going up everywhere so it's not just SU raising prices. I love SU cardstock -- nothing else compares. The only other cardstock I use as much as SU is Bazzill and it's certainly not any cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by toucanlvrView Post
This is not good news. SU stamps have gotten pricier with each new release set over the past few years. Used to be you hardly ever saw a set over $22 and in the last few years sets of as few as 4 stamps can be upwards of $25. I am going to be looking for alternative cardstock and inks and am going to drop my ten club membership of 9 years because I just can no longer do this. With the new companies like Paper Trey offering real bang for my buck, it is going to be ba-bye SU.
Back so soon? :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

I think SU cardstock is still the best game in town. The stamps have to be WOW for me to buy them- as I buy sets from TAC for less, but they are still a much better deal than almost any craft store stamp.

If you like the image, you'll pay. A bella is what 6 bucks? For a single stamp- and look how many of us have many many of those!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

The slight price increase is why I'll be replenishing my supply before the increase. The quality of the card stock and other SU merchandise is too good to pass up. Yeah, I'll have to pay the *higher* price for the in-colors and new stamp sets, but at least I will be stocked up on the regular stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I know price increases are never easy to take on anything (hello! everytime I go to the gas station I cringe) but in the big scheme of things this SU price increase is not that bad. The price of cardstock and ink pads are still cheaper than my LSS even with the price increase. Plus, I believe the quality is far better than anything I buy locally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

That's not true at all. Stampin' Up has not had an overall price increase in over 10 YEARS! They have had increases in certain items (like cardstock or ink) but not an overall increase. It's fine if you don't feel SU! is for you, but please do not make false statements - that's just not very fair or even necessary. There are a TON of other companies out there and even as a Hobby Demo for SU! I tend to buy from others as well but it's not due to a small 5% price increase, I'm just really love stamping and the wide variety of stamps, tools and accessories that are out there:mrgreen: .

I'll be replenishing my cardstock and reinkers BEFORE the price increase to get more bang for my SU! buck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post
Back so soon? :mrgreen:
*snort*

Love your siggy by the way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Actually, SU has plenty of sets under the $22 range. In the 6 years I've been a demo, SU has only raised the price on a couple categories of stamp set prices ONCE. I believe that was back in 2002. The cardstock went up last year, but other than that, there hasn't really been an across the board increase in over 10 years.

SU *has* brought more stamps into the catalog that are over $22, but only because they are offering more and more kinds and styles of stamps. Think about the decorative sets....these NEED to be big and bold for decorating. Sorry, those aren't going to be cheap sets.

When it comes down to it, SU STILL has plenty to offer paper crafters of all spending levels. There's something for everyone.

As for looking for alternatives, if you can also find an alternative to cheaper gas, let me know. I want to stop buy gas at all my local gas stations. They just keep going up in price. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321View Post
I think SU cardstock is still the best game in town. The stamps have to be WOW for me to buy them- as I buy sets from TAC for less, but they are still a much better deal than almost any craft store stamp.

If you like the image, you'll pay. A bella is what 6 bucks? For a single stamp- and look how many of us have many many of those!
I would rather pay 6 dollars a stamp that I know I will use a lot, the 30 dollars for a set and use 2 stamps in there, and the rest are usless. And thats 15 dollars a stamp. I have paid 15 dollars a stamp before but I have use ir contantly so I definitely got my money's worth. Buying a large set from SU isnt always the better deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Got me thinking, so I went back to the first catalog I had, 2002-03. A Greeting for all Reasons was one of the first sets I bought (at that time $28.95 for 14 stamps). It was still the same price in the latest catalog. In fact, a variety of things I checked had not increased. Sure, paper increased last year, but that was true for many companies and vendors I have bought from on the internet. Here's an interesting note though - 2002-03 designer paper $5.95/10 sheets vs. 2006-07 $5.95/12 sheets! Gee we were getting a little bargain there and didn't know it. The Simply Scrappin' sets used to be $12.95 in the 8.5x11" format versus the 2006-07 same price and number of sheets, but in the 12x12" format.

Prices going up on everything I buy, so no big surprise that SU is, too.

~ Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikimomView Post
Got me thinking, so I went back to the first catalog I had, 2002-03. A Greeting for all Reasons was one of the first sets I bought (at that time $28.95 for 14 stamps). It was still the same price in the latest catalog. In fact, a variety of things I checked had not increased. Sure, paper increased last year, but that was true for many companies and vendors I have bought from on the internet. Here's an interesting note though - 2002-03 designer paper $5.95/10 sheets vs. 2006-07 $5.95/12 sheets! Gee we were getting a little bargain there and didn't know it. The Simply Scrappin' sets used to be $12.95 in the 8.5x11" format versus the 2006-07 same price and number of sheets, but in the 12x12" format.

Prices going up on everything I buy, so no big surprise that SU is, too.

~ Kathy

Thanks for sharing this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
The cardstock thing is a killer. It seems way too high for 24 sheets. I know it's awesome stuff, but that's a lot per piece, to me it is anyway
It's a penny more per sheet....

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Oh, no, I did not mean to imply that previously existing sets had gone up. Only that the newer sets coming out are much higher than they would have been previously. I am thinking of sets of 6 for $28.95 like Always on My Mind, Solemn Stillness, Everything Nice, Looks Like Spring, and so on. The prices in the Fall preview are higher than I have ever seen before. I am going on that to say that even without the 5% and no previous overall increase, the prices have been going up steeply over the last 3 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh, no, I did not mean to imply that previously existing sets had gone up. Only that the newer sets coming out are much higher than they would have been previously. I am thinking of sets of 6 for $28.95 like Always on My Mind, Solemn Stillness, Everything Nice, Looks Like Spring, and so on. The prices in the Fall preview are higher than I have ever seen before. I am going on that to say that even without the 5% and no previous overall increase, the prices have been going up steeply over the last 3 years.
There are many choices out there (thank goodness!) and we all have the option of where we spend our stamping dollars. I still believe Stampin' Up offers a great product at a great price but for those who feel differently it's A-OK to shop elsewhere! I just want to be sure everybody has a clear understanding about the upcoming increase. I hope this information is helpful!
The new sets coming out are 5% higher than they would have been previously. For example ... Holidays & Wishes is $17.95. It would have been a $16.95 set in the "old" catalog. 5% is .85 and then it's rounded up to $17.95 to be consistent with existing price points. Also, it is not the number of stamps in a set that sets the price point ... sets with large/bold stamps are higher than sets with smaller or outline style stamps due to a larger amount of rubber being used, bigger blocks, etc ... Holidays & Wishes has 6 stamps and is only $17.95.

It is true the prices in the preview ARE higher than ever before because SU! has kept their price steady until now. Personally, I very much appreciate the fact they have been very upfront about the 5% price increase! SU! let us all know early so demos and customers alike can go ahead and purchase favorites and items they might be low on BEFORE the price increase goes into effect. Not many companies do that!

Prices have absolutely NOT steeply increased over the last 3 years. I've been a demo for that long and I certainly would have noticed "steep" increases had there been any. It is implied in the quoted post above mine that Stampin Up has randomly implemented price increases in stamp sets each year and that is simply not true.

OK - that pretty much covers what I know about the price increase. Again, I hope this is helpful/informative. If anybody has any additional questions I urge you to contact your Stampin' Up Demonstrator.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Needed to add: There WAS a stamp set price increase in the 2000-2001 catalog. Sorry - that was before my time with stamping and with Stampin' Up! But the prices have held steady since then...and certainly, as I stated above, no "steep" increases over the past 3 years. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2007, 11:56 PM   #34  
Failed Lurker

I have to admit I really don't understand any consternation around price increases. The increases aren't huge - if they were I could empathise - and inflation means SU's own costs are rising all the time; I work in the print industry and know that paper prices have gone through the roof in the last few years. We can't expect SU to subsidise customers (or not give their employees pay increases), so prices have to go up in line with their increased costs. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

We all know within time everything goes up. Look how many people are in search of the scallop punches!! Those ARE NOT cheap!! $21-$22 for 1 punch.

I will admit, I have bought the punches, but I look at different websites who are going to give me a better price.

I have not found any cardstock in a store that even compares to SU.

The point is, you pay for what you get. If you like a product, why change, because you know for a fact within time, prices always go up and that's just the way of life.

Alice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2007, 06:08 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the cost of making paper is going up every where, CTMH had a price increase in CS this year too and I've noticed the LSS has raised CS prices again because alot of manufacturers seems to have raised prices.
Personally I don't mind paying more for paper, I feel guilty killing so many trees

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2007, 06:17 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Somehow, I think SU will survive if a few customers jump ship due to a 5% increase...

I buy for quality - sure I love to save money as much as the next person, but I would rather pay more and receive a high quality product that will produce a high-quality card or art piece than cheapen the materials and have a cheap-looking card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2007, 06:24 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

didnt they just raised their prices on cs last year from 4.50 to 4,95????

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2007, 07:02 AM   #39  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagpussView Post
I have to admit I really don't understand any consternation around price increases. The increases aren't huge - if they were I could empathise - and inflation means SU's own costs are rising all the time; I work in the print industry and know that paper prices have gone through the roof in the last few years. We can't expect SU to subsidise customers (or not give their employees pay increases), so prices have to go up in line with their increased costs. :confused:

Exactly!! Prices are going up on every single thing -- it's just the way it is. It always has been and always will be up to the consumer to make their own choices about what and where to purchase. As for me, I go for quality so it's SU for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #40  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiafromGermanyView Post
didnt they just raised their prices on cs last year from 4.50 to 4,95????
yeah there have been a couple little increases in certain items, but this is an across the board increase, which is why they announced it.

People on a budget will get slightly less for their money, I was surprised that they didn't have to raise their shipping percentage consider the cost of gas. But of course there are always comparisons to other companies, and frankly, some are less, some are more. You know how we always say "companies that don't charge for shipping put it in their prices." So if SU! feels pressured to keep shipping at 10%, well....

Anyway, I'm getting less of everything for the money now.

It wasn't very long ago that I could fill my Subaru up with a twenty dollar bill. :(

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes