Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2005, 03:08 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OC2

Sorry it has been awhile since I have posted anything. My house has been CRAZY! So I think I will make this a semi weekly or monthly challenge-What do you guys think?

New challenge is.....drum roll please!.....Ribbon organization. If you are like me you have ribbon everywhere! Roll here and there..snippets here and there...So lets hear some of the ideas you all have on how to organize all this ribbon!

Lori
www.loriross.stampinup.net
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2005, 06:44 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Oh,I SO need this. I have redone my ribbon system at least 5 times already b/c I keep outgrowing it! LOL And I'm STILL growing! hee hee I have a new idea all ready to try out--but carving out the time is the tricky part (thus I completely understand and support spreading out the challenges). Thanks for the motivation! :-)
Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I just did this one three weeks ago! I hope I remember to come back and post pictures when my camera's recharged. <laugh>

Ribbon scraps were the easiest. I took the smallest ziploc bags I could find and put scraps in the bags, grouped by color. Then I punched a hole in the same corner of each bag and used a scrap to thread them together. Simple, cheap, and easy to throw on a shelf, in a bag, or in a plastic container. Get more scraps? Just add another bag or two or ten!

I found two great options for spools. For those with a large collection and the space, the CraftLocker ribbon unit looks really neat!

My spool collection is modest. I started by putting them all on a retired paper towel holder with a thin rod. Then I realized how dusty my attic craft room gets, and dusting ribbon spools isn't my idea of housework. Now they're in a ribbon box from Container Store, with six holes in the side to feed ribbon through. I have more than six spools, so I just doubled or tripled the thinner widths together rather than buying more boxes. It works great, and I haven't had a tangle yet! You can use multiple boxes and set them up side by side, or stack them.

I can't wait to hear what others have done.

Edit: Okay, I finally have a picture of my "frequently used supplies" shelving unit with the ribbon box on the top right.
Attached Thumbnails
OC2-img_1687_1.jpg  

Last edited by maironad; 12-12-2005 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Great minds think alike?! I worked on my solution about 3 weeks ago.
I love to see my ribbon - the colors and textures inspire me to new combinations in my crafting, so I wanted it "out" (but not where it would get hit with sunlight - fading isn't good).
I have two tall bookcases in my scrap room. In between is a short craft chest. I measured the space and went to my local discount store where I purchased a tension rod (the thing that holds up cafe style curtains), of the proper size. My "loose" ribbon (not on spools), got loop notted over the rod. The ribbon on spools got loaded on the other end of the rod right on the spool (a couple I had to cut the holes in the spool slightly bigger to accomodate the rod). This solution has worked great for me as I can always see my ribbon, do a quick color match, and it takes up space that was wasted before. It almost looks like a 70's bead curtain.
I think this would also work well inside a bookcase where you have your crafting books or other items that you want to "see through" to. Just inch the tension rod up after you have loaded everything on, until it reaches a height where you can still unroll the spools, but the ribbon is not hanging too low. Hope this might be a good solution for some others!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2005, 06:54 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for the ideas. I currently have my ribbon spools on a pants hanger. Works pretty well if you have a place to hang it. Scraps are in plastic bags, but not organized very well. Maybe after the holidays . . .

maironad - I love your signature! I was stamping last night and my cat felt the need to keep jumping up on my back while I was sitting in the chair. She'd get her claws stuck in my sweater then she freaked out and didn't know what to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I have my ribbon in a container that I got on clearance at Target, much like the one you have from the container store but it is made of the frosted plastic like SU! new organizational stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2005, 06:20 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I have my ribbon in several places.... and I would love to find a system that would store it all in one. I purchased one of the ribbon lockers and it doesn't hold near enough ribbon for me. I am a SU demo so I have a lot of ribbon. I also have 3 rubbermade containers for ribbon, one holds Gingham, one holds grosgrain and one holds non SU. I have the scraps confined to ziplock bags and the rolls just stand neatly in each box. I would love some ideas for storing ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #8  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

I got my ribbon organizers from linen nad things! They had them with gift wrapping supplies to hold - gasp of all things - gift wrapping ribbons!!!

I bought 4 for myself - the all stack together if you wish and they have a nifty little compartment on the bottom that you can use.

i'll try and find my camera to upload a picture. i'm planning on going back after christmas nad buying all my downlines one or two for their ribbon! (i only have 3 dl.)

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an old VHS organizer that you hang over your door. IT is white metal with three wire shelves. I now have all my ribbon on the shelves of the VHS organizer!!! I can shut the door and the ribbon doesn't get dusty in the closet!!!

Angelina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

there is my cheap solution, I also have scraps in ziplock baggies, separated by color, in a basket right next to it. You can use multiple ones and stack them.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2005, 12:36 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today I felt inspired to put straight pins at the end of all my ribbon rolls! YEAH! No more dangling ribbon. It looks so nice.

Angelina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 04:36 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

OH I like the straight pin idea. I will have to try that. I do not have the space for most of the other storage ideas. I am stamping at a built in desk in my kitchen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Oops, I posted this in the OC1 thread but I did do it!:???:

Sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how I have my ribbon stored. I just changed it a couple months ago and I love it!!!

All my ribbons are wrapped around a 4" x 4" piece of thin cardboard and then put into an empty CD case. I can flip thru the cases to find the right ribbon without having to take them all out. Also the CD case keeps the dust off as well as keeping the ribbon untangled. As I get more ribbons, I just add more CD cases! Some of the cases I need to secure with an elastic, but it's not a big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
OC2-ribbonstorage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2006, 08:27 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Laura,
I love your ribbon organization but I don't know if would have the patience to take them out of their original packaging and wrap then around the cardboard but I need to do something. I have a ton of ribbon. Do you know the best place to buy the cd cases? I am thinking about buying some for some of my unmounted stamps. Maybe I buy some for ribbon too. Thanks.
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

About how long are each of you types of ribbon? (What lengths fit in the CD cases without them bulging out?) A lot of my ribbon is in very long lengths so I don't know if this will work-but I LOVE your solution!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakj
Here's how I have my ribbon stored. I just changed it a couple months ago and I love it!!!

All my ribbons are wrapped around a 4" x 4" piece of thin cardboard and then put into an empty CD case. I can flip thru the cases to find the right ribbon without having to take them all out. Also the CD case keeps the dust off as well as keeping the ribbon untangled. As I get more ribbons, I just add more CD cases! Some of the cases I need to secure with an elastic, but it's not a big deal.
Laura! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Location: In my new "Ink Spot" which happens to be in Olathe KS!

Laura- I also LOVE your idea for storage. I am using a wooden dowl I got at hobby lobby, once our basement is finished I will hang it on the wall with the hooks you would use for light weight curtains. For now it is sitting on a shelf, I use pins to keep the ribbon from unwinding. I have 3 dowels about 3ft each.. they are all almost full! I also have a rubbermaid container of ribbon... I love love love love love ribbon!

my other hobby www.puhakphotography.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I have my ribbon in one drawer of one of my 3 sewing pattern cabinets - like from a fabric store - they hold tons of stuff, but the ribbons were packed all the same, so I took a hint from another group I'm in & started saving baby wipes containers and storing ginghams in one, metallics in one, rick-racks, hemp,cord, twill, etc. My drawer looks better with every extra container I use.

Now, does anyone have a good idea for storing the skeins of funky yarns used for fiber? I have several bags of skeins!

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Well thanks to my DH my ribbon is safe and sound on a wooden shelf that has a spindle running through it. I really have very few from SU! but this is where they hang . When I finally get my shelves that I am in great need of I will attach it to a shelf upside down and maybe convince my DH to make some more. As for the ribbon that is not SU! I have stored them in a photo box and each are in individual baggies with color group names...ie red, periwinkle, grey, etc. As for the little pieces not used I just leave in the bottom of the box or my little monster gets them so he can be entertained while I craft! ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2006, 08:16 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ribbon oh yikes! I have it all over the place. I have rolls hung on my target like cube boxes with a wood rod I got from the craft store. I also have some in those target boxes they sold at Christmas time. I just started to use those CD cases like Laura did above too but I have mine sticking out so I can pull it out when I need to and just cut off what I want. I do need the box though as right now I have the CD's on top of the target box. It's just a nightmare! Maybe I'll get something today at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2006, 06:01 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Ladies, My first post to a thread...can I get a YAHOO!!!
My ribbon solution: I confiscated one of my kids toy organizers...the one with the colored plastic bins that sit on dowels. I sorted my ribbon by color into the bins. It works really well, because when I need a certain color of ribbon, I can pull the bin and sort through what I have. When I come home with more ribbon (very often these days, I'm on a ribbon kick since I just purchased a xyron) I just toss the spool into the correct bin. The unit fits under one end of my craft table, so is very convenient. One bin holds fibers, wrapped around pieces of cardboard. ...hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Rain gutters mounted in the closet for ribbon spools. I can remove any spool of ribbon without having to take it off a dowel. Gutters cut easily to size, mount easily, and are cheap! Large clear pretzel bucket for scraps. Scraps go in and I can see what I have to use what I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

All my ribbon spools are hung on a curtain tension rod. - Then I can see them all in a glance and because they are on a rod, they spin - so I can get ribbon very easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 05:59 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla Murphy
Rain gutters mounted in the closet for ribbon spools. I can remove any spool of ribbon without having to take it off a dowel. Gutters cut easily to size, mount easily, and are cheap! Large clear pretzel bucket for scraps. Scraps go in and I can see what I have to use what I need.

Cool idea! I had one of those large clear pretzel buckets sitting around my kitchen forever. I finally recycled it because I just couldn't find a use for it and it became clutter. Now I can eat more pretzels!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes