Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not liking AC's version of Bazzill

As a longtime fan of Bazzill textured cardstock I am so, so disappointed with AC's cheaper version. I know AC bought Bazzill about a year ago but I had a large stash of Bazzill's which I'm just now running low on. AC's version is lighter weight and the colors are not as rich.
Is everyone else just used to the difference now? Any recommendations for a substitute brand on par with the old Bazzill? It's so sad when quality suffers in the drive to reduce costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Shoot, I was afraid AC would do that the minute I heard that they had bought Bazzill. I know AC promised the quality would stay the same, but based on their history of other companies they have purchased, I also knew that was just a fantasy. I haven't tried the new AC version, but I guess it is time to start looking for something else, or to maybe maybe to start using Paper Trey or Gina K white for card bases and use other companies' colored cardstock for mats and layering.

I so hate what AC has done to the so many good companies and products that I stopped buying anything they make a couple of years ago. I avoid their stuff like the plague.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

i love the quality of Stampin' Up! card stock.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Not liking AC's version of Bazzill

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
Shoot, I was afraid AC would do that the minute I heard that they had bought Bazzill. I know AC promised the quality would stay the same, but based on their history of other companies they have purchased, I also knew that was just a fantasy. I haven't tried the new AC version, but I guess it is time to start looking for something else, or to maybe maybe to start using Paper Trey or Gina K white for card bases and use other companies' colored cardstock for mats and layering.

I so hate what AC has done to the so many good companies and products that I stopped buying anything they make a couple of years ago. I avoid their stuff like the plague.
It's such a shame Bazzill was my fav too. In fact when wintering down south, I always shopped at the store owned by the wife of the owner of Bazzill. I was very discouraged by what I saw on the shelves and the absence of plain card stock this winter. The store is really big with a tremendous variety of DSP. However you purchased Bazzill for matching card stock. While many companies make good quality DSP they don't make card stock to match. Yes there are some, but not the large majority.

When purchasing DSP you pick up matching sc at the same time if needed for a match.now we may have to do opposite, buy plain cs then go looking for DSP to match. While I use some SU products their papers are not my preference.

Bye the way does the back of the card stock still say Bazzil on it? I wondered if AC bought the rights to use that on the paper which I find deceiving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I wish I even had a local place to buy that stuff. Luckily my stash is large!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I have/had a rather large stash of Bazzill on hand that is now starting to dwindle down. Haven't bought any since AC took over. Hearing the decrease in quality I'll be looking elsewhere for my cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,076 Likes on 826 Posts

Darn! I don't get it very often because I have to get it mail order, while I can get Core-dinations locally. But that's a much narrower colour range and not quite as sturdy. I guess now I know not to waste my money ordering more Bazzill online next time I would have been topping it up, so thanks for the thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved the Bazzill card shoppe paper. The weight, the wonder array of colors and the price when it was on sale at Joann's. But not anymore. I have been buying some online from Joann's but they have limited colors. Probably just what they have left in stock. I HATE SU cardstock. Very flimsy. Probably 65lb, if that. The Recollections brand of 100lb paper is wonderful. It is 12.99 for 100 sheets, but I always us a coupon. Greatfor card bases, and copics. I am sure I have enough paper for the rest of my life but I am always looking for more. I buy some on line when I see something I like and hope I'll like the color when I get it. Happy stamping...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
I HATE SU cardstock. Very flimsy. Probably 65lb, if that.
I'm pretty sure SU cardstock is 80 lb.
I agree that the white is a bit flimsy for bases (but stamps wonderfully for images). But the colors are not at all flimsy in the least. I often use the lighter colors as bases. Sometimes I wish the colors were even lighter in weight (for layers).
Seems to me multiple weights are ideal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't care for SU paper either. I started as a scraper years ago and used Bazzill exclusively. I was introduced to stamping through GinaK one year when I was looking into making a Fathers Day card. Her cardstock is wonderful. My interest in stamping increased and I explored SU through a coworker who was a demo. I liked the idea of coordinating colors, but the cardstock was a surprise and disappointing. I just don't think it compares to GinaK or bazzill. Although, I have not purchased any Bazzill since the AC took over. I will use SU colored cardstock for layers and diecuts, just not for bases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I think I must be allergic to the dyes used in SU paper. If I am doing a project that requires more than minimal contact with their paper, my hands and especially my thumb, index and third finger on my right hand get really dry and those 3 fingers will break out in hives. If I continue to use it. I also will also get hives on the same 3 fingers on my left hand, but not as badly as on the right. It doesn't happen with any other paper that I have used. It is a shame because I do love a number of their colors - but not enough to have jump through all sorts of ridiculous hoops like having to craft with gloves on just to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 05:55 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

A few years back Michaels started carrying Bazzill textured cardstock and it was not the same weight that I was buying at the LSS of the same texture. Also, the price was higher at the LSS. It makes me sad if the only weight of the Bazzill will be the lighter weight.

I love SU colored cardstock. It's my all time fav but I prefer Recollections for card bases but not for stamping. SU WW or X-Press are my fav white for stamping or other techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had only recently started using Bazzill. I have one of those packs of the "newer" ones, where the name of the paper is printed on the end and needs to be trimmed off. I didn't realize that was one of the newer ones... I also have some packs where that strip is not there. I only buy canvas-texture... the texture on both papers (with the strip and without the strip) are lovely, but I almost never use it as the base - none of them seem thick enough...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Having to trim the end of the paper would be a deal breaker for me as far as using it for bases. I've been venturing into Simon Says Stamp coordinating ink and paper. Their cardstock feels similar to GinaK's in weight. So far I am liking it. Also, their ink is waterproof when dry and I can add stickles over it with no smearing or bleeding which is a plus. The only downside right now is the limited color range (compared to SU). It is a fairly new line though, and they are adding to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
Having to trim the end of the paper would be a deal breaker for me as far as using it for bases. I've been venturing into Simon Says Stamp coordinating ink and paper. Their cardstock feels similar to GinaK's in weight. So far I am liking it. Also, their ink is waterproof when dry and I can add stickles over it with no smearing or bleeding which is a plus. The only downside right now is the limited color range (compared to SU). It is a fairly new line though, and they are adding to it.
Is the Simon Says Stamp paper textured?

So far the only textured (particularly canvas-textured) paper I can find is Core'dinations and Bazzill/AC. I love Gina K's textured paper, but those come in packs and not single colours. Same with DCWV - paper packs instead of single colours, for textured.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Simon Says Stamp paper is smooth. I always loved Bazzills canvas texture. My LSS carries it in tons of colors in both 8 1/2 x 11 and 12 x 12.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Just checked out what is now the "new Bazzil" at michaels and it is definitely a lighter weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I use Neenah white CS for bases and coloring with alcohol markers. It's silky smooth and sturdy. For layering and die cutting I use SU and Recollections.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

OMG! I went to my local scrapbook store today and checked out the paper because of this thread. Holly Molly what a difference. And the Bazill name is still printed on the paper. Go Figure.

I am another that is unhappy with this change. I would always get Bazill paper to fill in colors for my pattern paper that SU did not match.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was at Winners/Homesense over the weekend (part of the TJ Maxx chain for Americans not familiar with this store) and I found two 1lb packages of Bazzill cardstock in 6x6. I looked all over the packaging to see if it identified AC anywhere, but it doesn't... don't know if the new product does or not though. In any case, these are discontinued I believe. Just wondering if anybody knows whether it would be old stock or new stock? I'm not familiar enough with Bazzill to tell the difference, but I'd still like to know as a reference point.

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Try Michael's 100 lb. cardstock. Comes in a package of 100 sheets for 12.99. Much less with a coupon. It is the same as Neenah. White, cream or black. I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 06:21 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottitudeView Post
I was at Winners/Homesense over the weekend (part of the TJ Maxx chain for Americans not familiar with this store) and I found two 1lb packages of Bazzill cardstock in 6x6. I looked all over the packaging to see if it identified AC anywhere, but it doesn't... don't know if the new product does or not though. In any case, these are discontinued I believe. Just wondering if anybody knows whether it would be old stock or new stock? I'm not familiar enough with Bazzill to tell the difference, but I'd still like to know as a reference point.
The only printed identifying difference I've noticed is the location. The better, original Bazzill was made in Chandler, Arizona. The AC versions are made in Utah and this is printed on the extra strip now on Bazzill CS. I'm not sure if the 6x6 packages have a location printed anywhere but if it's Chandler, AZ, that's the good stuff. If Utah, made by AC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity_StamperView Post
i love the quality of Stampin' Up! card stock.
And they are coming out with a heavier whisper white with the new catalog. The current Whisper White, although 80 lb. like the other card stocks, goes through an additional process to get the nice finish to stamp on, but it make the paper a tad bit lighter weight. They are coming out with a 100 lb. whisper white that will also go through that extra process, but it will be as sturdy as their 80 lb. colored cardstock. I'm THRILLED to hear this since I refuse to use the current Whisper White for a card base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophiecatView Post
The only printed identifying difference I've noticed is the location. The better, original Bazzill was made in Chandler, Arizona. The AC versions are made in Utah and this is printed on the extra strip now on Bazzill CS. I'm not sure if the 6x6 packages have a location printed anywhere but if it's Chandler, AZ, that's the good stuff. If Utah, made by AC.
Chandler AZ, yessss! I win I win! LOL. Thanks for that piece of info Sophiecat!

Makes me want to do some driving and check out the other stores now. Sometimes they have the same stuff, sometimes not.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Is the Simon Says Stamp paper textured?

So far the only textured (particularly canvas-textured) paper I can find is Core'dinations and Bazzill/AC. I love Gina K's textured paper, but those come in packs and not single colours. Same with DCWV - paper packs instead of single colours, for textured.
Sophie, just curious... What do you find to be the best ink(s) to use on textured cardstock? I love textured, and use it mostly for die cuts but I would like to stamp on it from time to time as well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Dang it! My paper says "Utah". I guess I don't mind, since I've apparently never experienced the superiour original Bazzill papers. This is all I've ever known, 'cause I started buying them late.

Kim, I only have two inks - Memento and Versafine. So I have basically no choices here. I have used both, and Versafine is better (it's better overall, not just for textured). BUT sometimes I do have to bring out the pens and fill in the blanks. It's a pain, but I do it if I really want the image to be on textured paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Not liking Ac version of Bazzil

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
Try Michael's 100 lb. cardstock. Comes in a package of 100 sheets for 12.99. Much less with a coupon. It is the same as Neenah. White, cream or black. I love it.
Do you mean their 110 Recollections cardstock which is 12.99. I really like it as well. Ran into Michaels yesterday, and see they have a textured paper that is 80 pound as opposed to the regular 65 pound Recollections.Perhaps not new item but first time I noticed the texture and the weight. If I recall, I read somewhere that then they texture paper they have to increase the weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Ditto on the Versafine ink for textured cs.
Reply With Quote Likes