Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not to bring up old dirt...but..

one of my pet peeves is when people dont put exactly what they used to make a card. I have been stamping for a couple of years, and only have used stampin up products, but dont always recongize a color or a technique and I REALLY like it when people take the time to FULLY fill out the information to the fullest! yes i know its blue, but there are like 7 blues...and a couple are very close

Id love to CASE some of these cards, but when they dont take the time to fill it out, it just makes me think they dont really care about the site enough to tell us how they made it!!! Every one else takes the couple extra keystrokes to tell us! I understand they might be new or something, but with *my* first upload, I was very sure to fill out all of the boxes incase it wouldnt be put in the gallery due to missing information or something silly!!!!!!!

OK IM done venting!!!!! LOL

:lol:

Christy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:59 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too have seen some GREAT cards in the gallery recently with no recipe :(
Please, Please, post what you used and how you did it It's so much fun for all of us to share. This site is my greatest source of inspiration and information

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 06:23 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

True!! If the info is included, it makes it so much easier to search later for that terrific card you saw .... you know it's in there .... Oh WHERE is that card?!*@*&!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am fairly new to stamping and don't know all of the "technique terms" so it is hard for me to put which technique I used. I figure people don't want a step by step instruction sheet for each card. So what I am saying is this - what to do if I don't know what technique I used?

Randi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 06:58 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Please don't take offene to this post, we all just love to copy and get inspiration from one another.

If you used watercolor with ink or with watercolor pencils or whatever, then you would just say 'watercolor'
If you did dry embossing, with the brass templates and stylus then you would say 'dry emboss'
if you embossed with empossing powder(EP) and a heat tool, then you could simply say 'emboss'
Basically just putting a name ot title to what you did to create your card. If you would like help naming a specific technique then this is the place to post a question, I have learned loads of stuff here.

HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 08:16 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just list all the supplies you used and many people will be able to figure out the technique name. ie if you listed Rubbing alcohol and re-inkers many would know that you used the polished stone technique even if you didn't know the name for that technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 08:18 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

well said, and we are all always here to help in anyway we can.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 08:49 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm so glad this has been brought up again! Some days there are so many uploads to the gallery I can hardly see them all. I just hate it when I click on a card to get a closer look and more info to find almost no info there! I have limited time to look so I usually only comment on cards that have most of the info filled in. I just figure those that don't fill it in probably aren't all that concerned with getting comments. Not neccessarily looking for instructions or even names of techniques so much as basic recipe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 08:55 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

my problem is that I'll do some projects, and then forget exactly which colors I used....was that Bliss Blue or another blue? I guess I need to keep a scratch pad at my workstation and write everything down before I put the project away. I'm so worried about getting everything put away and neat again that the inks are all put up by the time I remember to record everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!
Default I'll try to do better!!

Yup, I really will! :lol:

What happens when I upload is I do as many as I have and then try to go back to them when I have more time. So by then I have forgotten WHAT I did or used. Some of these I might have done a month ago.
Really don't mean to do it on purpose to drive you all crazy!

I promise I'll do better honest!
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 10:24 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh, I totally understand that! I've been in the middle of an upload and realized I cannot for the life od me remember the name of the stamp set I used :? I'm a demo - aren't I supposed to have them all memorized??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 10:38 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Not to bring up old dirt...but..

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsomniacRed
... but when they dont take the time to fill it out, it just makes me think they dont really care about the site enough to tell us how they made it!!! Every one else takes the couple extra keystrokes to tell us! I understand they might be new or something, but with *my* first upload, I was very sure to fill out all of the boxes incase it wouldnt be put in the gallery due to missing information or something silly!!!!!!!
Well, it's great that you can do this. In defense of those that can't or don't, I would ask you to please consider that for some of us, it is actually physically painful to type all that info in, not to mention unbelievably TIME-CONSUMING.

I have severe tendonitis in my stamping arm; typing and clicking the mouse aggravate it. I maintain my own online gallery, elsewhere, and just uploading (dragging and the clicking of the mouse) takes a considerable toll on that injured arm.

It's about all I can do to answer a few posts to help folks out here and there at SCS, and to try to upload and give my samples titles a SECOND time HERE...

There are many things I've created but never uploaded here or even on my own gallery because my arm is shot and can't handle any more... and often, I can't even comment on others' wonderful samples myself because the pain is so severe.

I may be mistaken, but I believe most folks at least enjoy and appreciate seeing a fun or lovely idea, even without a recipe, rather than nothing at all, yes?

I do what I can, but have to limit certain things due to physical pain AND time constraints, not because I don't wish to share the info or don't care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 10:51 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorinda
Please don't take offene to this post, we all just love to copy and get inspiration from one another.
BTW, none was taken--I just felt that some folks, like me with my tendonitis and I'm sure there are others with arthiritis, etc., have reasons for not filling in all the little boxes, and it might help others understand WHY we don't!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 10:58 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

well put Julie! You are right, it is something I know myself didn't think of.
I am very glad that you posted it is always good to be enlightned
I totally agree and understand, as I hope everyone does/will.
That is why I am so in love with this place, is all of the feedback we all get on all subjects and points of veiw.
I do enjoy the recipes, but I would much rather have something to look at than nothing at all.
I am more of a visual person anyway, enough said by me
Everyone keep uploading, w or w/o recipe just please please please keep sharing all of your wonderful talent

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 07:21 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Julie - thanks for a perspective I had not thought of. Wow! I had no idea you had such a problem. I always appreciate your detailed posts in the demo forum. My appreciation just doubled :o

Certainly if it is difficult for someone to post a recipe I would rather see their work than not! Absolutely. But for those who can type in the info, but just find it an annoyance I would strongly encourage them to take the extra time to do it if possible. Perhaps some people just think noone will care either way. But people do appreciate having as much info as possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 07:35 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default Good reminder!

Thanks HRR! It was good to be reminded that it is difficult for some to do this - and for a variety of reasons.

I must admit I'm one of those who really really really like to see recipes on swap cards and in our galleries. Sometimes, if I'm being lazy (since I don't have medical reasons for not doing this), I may just copy and paste a recipe from my label document (control key- c to copy a highlighted area in Word, then control key -v to paste is one way to do this).

Then I only have to copy and paste to make a label document in word for my swaps and once more if I wanted to paste to the description field (rather than all the separate fields available on scs). Would that help some of you? For example, I just did that here for a recent swap recipe:

Stamps: Right at Home
Cardstock: US White, Old Olive, Ruby Red
Ink: Basic Brown, Old Olive, Ruby Red, More Mustard
Accessories: Blender Pen, Paper Snips, Spring Moss Grosgrain Ribbon

This still requires the perhaps initially painful entry of the recipe once, but maybe this will help a few of you!

All my best,

Nancy the geek in training...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 11:57 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

You can also send the person a PM if you really would like to know something about a specific card...
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

The other idea, too, is to break out a little on the colors! Try out all the 7 different colors of blue and see which one you like - it may be most like the one you saw online, or it may be another that you actually like better. I had to learn to do this myself; to not be ultra-perfectionist about getting the colors right. And found it helped my creativity!!

Techniques can be a little trickier...definitely post about how to do a certain technique, or check the techniques under resources!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 12:46 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default What if this would work?

Everyone type what they can and can't. When someone sees something and needs to know more, could we email that person for detailed instructions. If a lot ask, one could edit the site. Otherwise just email back with the details. :o

I see both ways. I am anal and probably put tooooooo much and should help others by getting tendonitis. Not to make light of it. :oops:

Shirley

My grandchildren call me Madew, my friends call me Shirley.
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 12:54 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Re: Not to bring up old dirt...but..

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsomniacRed

Id love to CASE some of these cards, but when they dont take the time to fill it out, it just makes me think they dont really care about the site enough to tell us how they made it!!!

Christy
i don't think that's true, there are a lot of reasons people don't list exactly every single thing done to the card. and i don't think not caring aboout the site is one of them. if that was the case, why would they even bother uploading it in the first place? it's not that big of a deal, imo. for example- sometimes maybe i think it's self explanatory that the image is watercolored, i mean, it LOOKS watercolored. so i don't type it out.

but i don't think it's fair to say that people who don't list every single technique or color don't care about the site or what have you.
Reply With Quote Likes