Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2006, 02:47 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this the "norm"?

My demo is having a stamp camp in February, and I'm debating on whether or not to sign up. She has an 8 hour camp, and includes lunch.....usually a soup or casserole. She does 2 brief cards with the group, and those are very simple cards where we can see a new product, but we use our own supplies. The remainder of the time we work on our own projects with supplies that we've brought, or bought from her there. The fee is $30. What do you think? Is that a normal price, or does it sound high, especially when most people place a good-sized order while there? I appreciate your opinion.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not committed to any stampers demo group or camps, but find this expensive though she does furnish a meal, I also find that with placing an order, plus shipping and taxes gets expensive. I've seen some that furnish
the supplies, and it would make more sense to give the actual cost of supplies and charge an additional fee, for half a day camp, but some poeple don't like to cart supplies for just half a day. I'm not a dealer so hopefully some of them can give your their opinions also. Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Sounds WAY WAY too high!! The stamp camps I have been to from my demo are a few hours--anywhere from 2+-4 projects depending on difficulty, all supplies are FURNISHED, and charge is generally $20, which is $10 for supplies, $10 towards an order. We have even done 10 quick cards in 1 1/2 hours ALWAYS supplies are furnished. Is it possible you might have the supply issue confused? Can't believe you are expected to PAY and bring your own supplies. No way would I participate!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd say this is high with you using all your own supplies, and especially if you are ordering. Do you get to use any of her things like stamps, etc?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 03:17 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

My demo has a stamp camp that costs $30, it includes 8 projects with all supplies (usually these are involved projects) and snacks. I think hers sounds to high.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to Charmed

So for $30 you are getting lunch, a place to work for upto 8 hours, and 2 simple card demos. I say card demos, because it sounds like you are to use your own supplies to make the cards. Assuming you want to use your supplies to make the cards demoed even.

So it really is $30 for lunch and space for 8 hours. If she is someone you can talk to, I would suggest that she halve the price, include the supplies for the 2 cards, and make it a potluck snack type thing. Everyone brings one dish for lunch. This would be better (IMHO) for most people. This way, if there are any picky eaters, they can bring something that they know they will eat.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by Charmed; 01-24-2006 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Sounds way too high for me. My demo is having a Stamp Camp in February also. It is a 4 hour super workshop, with about 20 demos and 200 people. We are doing 6 projects, one of which is a wood picture frame. The fee is $30, which includes $15 credit towards an order placed that day. So the actual fee is only $15, for 4 hours, all supplies provided. I'm not sure I would go to a workshop for $30 and have to bring my own supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by randie58
The remainder of the time we work on our own projects with supplies that we've brought, or bought from her there.
This is a big no-no for SU! demos. We are not supposed to have a cash and carry inventory. If she is selling Non-SU! items for you to use, that's one thing, but if she is supplying SU! items for you to buy while you are there, she is not conforming to SU! rules. The only time a demo can sell something directly that is SU! is if it's a catalog or discontinued merchandise.

As for the cost - $30 for 2 cards is A LOT! That is $15 per card! YIKES!! As for working on your own projects, you can go to a lot of LSS and do the same thing for free.

On the other hand, sometimes it's worth 8 hours of time away to do what you want. No kids, significant others, no errands to run - you get my meaning. And you get to chat with people who have a same interest as you do. So, maybe for some people, $30 for an afternoon like that might not be such a big expense. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. ;)

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I would graciously decline the invitation. Thirty dollars for two cards and a serving of King Ranch Chicken seems a bit excessive to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I pay $30 to go to an all day scrapbooking crop with lunch included a few times a year. This sounds like the same just like that except instead of scrapbooking, you're making cards. Think of it as 8 hours of uninterrupted stamping! No kids, husbands or other distractions! I am sure this is worth it for many women.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with the above posters that said that $30 is way too much if you are providing your own supplies.
All she is providing is a space and lunch. That better be some really gooooooood cooking for $30!

(Makes me wanna offer my house and cooking for $30....hmmmmm LOL)

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can count and those that can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I don't think it's out of line for an 8 hour CROP so I don't think it's out of line for an 8 hour STAMP opportunity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I think that is way too much. It sounds like she is not doing much except collecting $30 from everyone. Showing you how to do 2 simple cards and does not even give you supplies to make them seems crazy. My demo has 3 hr camps which cost $15, you do 4 projects and she supplies everything except adhesive. Your demo is having an 8 hour camp but is supplying nothing, well except lunch. You could do better by staying home and spending the day on SCS. You will get a ton more ideas and could use the money to place an order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Default Stamp Camp

I think that it is Outrageous!!!!! So basically she is making 30.00 off everybody that comes, Doesn't sound fair to me. I did a stamp camp for 4hours all her stuff (stamps) and she provide the supplys everything embellishments etc and we made 60 cards and only paid 30.00 I think I would ask her what the money was going towards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 05:05 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Is this camp at her house? If not, your demostrator is probably paying a rental fee for the room.

She is providing you table space to work for 8 hours. Plus, she is providing lunch. If you went to your local scrapbook store, they would charge $5-15per hour for this service and they wouldn't include lunch.

You really just need to ask yourself, "Do I need 8 hours away from home to work on my stamping projects?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Too much!!! My demo's holiday camp was $35 but it was lunch, snacks, and all supplies included and they were aweseome: a brag book, candy bar wrapper, gift bag w/card, picture frame, CD calendar, ornament, stationary set w/pen, and a mini cork board. I thought it was a lot for the money. I'm not sure she made much. And the best part is: I was the mystery hostess for the day and got lots of free stuff. I did spend a bit too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 05:09 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

The most I have paid for an all day stamping is about $25. We made 10 project including a gable box and a 12x12 two page spread and 8 card projects. Lunch, morning and afternoon snacks and all supplies were included PLUS there was a door prize for each participant. I ended up with a multicolor pack of paper, others got stamp pads or a couple stampin write markers. Door prizes were all $5-6 value so in the end it was only like $20. I think this is pretty steep.
Fran #1698
Matt Kenseth- GO #17

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Wow - I guess I am just a great friend! LOL I host all stamp camp with 2 other friend - every 3 month - I provide all the projects with supplies- approximately 17 - 20 different ones, lunch and most times dinner to - all the snacks and drinks and I have never had a complaint on the cost - which is nothing!! Maybe I should be charging???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 05:59 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhansen
This is a big no-no for SU! demos. We are not supposed to have a cash and carry inventory. If she is selling Non-SU! items for you to use, that's one thing, but if she is supplying SU! items for you to buy while you are there, she is not conforming to SU! rules. The only time a demo can sell something directly that is SU! is if it's a catalog or discontinued merchandise.

As for the cost - $30 for 2 cards is A LOT! That is $15 per card! YIKES!! As for working on your own projects, you can go to a lot of LSS and do the same thing for free.

On the other hand, sometimes it's worth 8 hours of time away to do what you want. No kids, significant others, no errands to run - you get my meaning. And you get to chat with people who have a same interest as you do. So, maybe for some people, $30 for an afternoon like that might not be such a big expense. I guess it all depends on how you look at it. ;)
This is interesting. She sells CS by the sheet, adhesives, embellishments, and stamps. I honestly don't know if the stamps are all d/c'd. I never bothered to check.

Let me see if I can answer some questions. No, I don't have any of this confused. I have been to 3 of her camps before. Each was the same. No, we can't use her stamps, or tools, with the exception of her Sizzix, (with our own CS, of course). Yes, she does rent space, so I am aware that she has to cover that cost, but even so, I'd gladly go to a 3 or 4 intensive workshop, and even pay $30 for a shorter time frame if she were providing instruction. She asked me if there was anything I wanted to learn. I mentioned 5 or 6 different techniques that I've never done, but she vetoed all of them saying that they're too complicated to teach.

I understand the value of the hours of uninterrupted stamping for a lot of people, but as someone that doesn't work, with no children at home, and a husband that works a demanding job, that's not really a concern for me. I do enjoy meeting people with similar interests, but honestly, I wouldn't want to give credence to her techniques if I believe the price is way out of line.

Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions. I think I'll decline the invitation and make my own lunch! Of course if any of you would like to come here to stamp, I'll gladly make lunch for you, too.......FREE!

Randie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #20  
ch
Mad Swapper

I often attend a CM 14 hour crop. It is $15, which includes snacks, small door prizes and lunch is potluck. The consultant let us use her non-consumables and she give a fun 30 minute 'crop talk' of new ideas. So yes, I think $30 is too much for what you are getting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Of course if any of you would like to come here to stamp, I'll gladly make lunch for you, too.......FREE!
Randie - if your avitar looks ANYTHING remotely close to where you live - and a free lunch is included.... I'm THERE babe!! ;)

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 06:40 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhansen
Randie - if your avitar looks ANYTHING remotely close to where you live - and a free lunch is included.... I'm THERE babe!! ;)
Come on up, (Maine), and yes, it does look like that picture in late September/early October. Unfortunately, I'm a little out of season. Picture all those lovely colors that you see, all covered in wet, white stuff, and you've got it. The invitation's still open, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 09:18 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Wow...that's a bit high, I think!

I went to my demo's (LOVE HER) stamp camp this past Saturday. We made 3 cards - two regular folds and one of the tags folded in a row card, a nugget box, and a cute card stock purse. So five projects, with different techniques... all for $10. She also served a light lunch. It was really fun, and I hope she does it again! I was there for about 2 1/2 hours.

Alison

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 09:22 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I can't believe she doesn't let you use her stamps or supplies - that is a reason many demos charge - so it helps pay for the expense of having many stamp sets and ink pads for the customers to use. So if a customer ruins an ink pad, the fee covers to buy a new one. I know local SB stores charge $20 or more for many mulit-hour crops - just to crop. They do have a high overhead to cover - so I can understand that. You can also use all their non-consumable products - punches, die-cut machines, etc.

I would e-mail the demo and explain why you are declining. I know it's hard to do, but I think she would appreciate the feedback. I can't believe she told you that the techniques you asked to be shown were too complicated to show - for $30 she better be showing an advanced technique. I'd tell her that too.

BTW - which techniques did you ask her to show you that were 'too difficult'?

Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

wait a second here. I think that we are prejudging this person. I know tons of CM consultants that charge that much or more for an all day crop...this sounds like pretty much the same thing. AND she is providing instruction for 2 cards...that is way more than I've ever seen at a CM crop and even on NSD. I've been going to different ones for the past 6 years and have never been provided with any instruction. Especially if she is renting a room, I don't think that $30 is unreasonable at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 09:55 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Ok, I wouldn't go, that's just me. CHEAP...well, maybe not cheap, but I see that 30 bucks going towards a stamp set or ink pads, or paper. Let's just say practical, that sounds better than cheap.

I am SO jealous listening to all of the camps you all have been to! They sound awesome!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 11:07 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapping&Stamping
Too much!!! My demo's holiday camp was $35 but it was lunch, snacks, and all supplies included and they were aweseome: a brag book, candy bar wrapper, gift bag w/card, picture frame, CD calendar, ornament, stationary set w/pen, and a mini cork board. I thought it was a lot for the money. I'm not sure she made much. And the best part is: I was the mystery hostess for the day and got lots of free stuff. I did spend a bit too

OK, I don't mean to single you out, but this just sits wrong with me. Demos work hard to buy supplies, design projects, and prepare for such events. It is their BUSINESS, just like your job. Why should she not be expected to make money off her hard work? Local stamp and scrapbook stores routinely charge $20-$30 (and upwards) for an evening (6 hour) crop. This is just to supply the place to work on your projects. I totally do not think she is being unreasonable. After all, if she's paying rent for the venue (or even if she isn't) and supplying lunch for everyone, and taking time to design projects for everyone, she SHOULD make money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I think it's high if you're going to have to bring your own stuff and if there aren't any door prizes or things that you get other than the time, space and lunch... but one thing I thought was odd - is this a Stampin' Up! demo? We all just assumed that it is, and if that is the case, she is not supposed to sell stuff - but if she is not an SU! demo but maybe a CTMH one, I believe she can? I was just invited to "set up a table" at a weekend scrap getaway here on the island so I could "take orders and sell some things on hand" - well - I respectfully declined. I can take orders, but can't sell - a CTMH demo told me she could do cash & carry and will be selling there.

BLINGO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2006, 11:26 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtpy
wait a second here. I think that we are prejudging this person. I know tons of CM consultants that charge that much or more for an all day crop...this sounds like pretty much the same thing. AND she is providing instruction for 2 cards...that is way more than I've ever seen at a CM crop and even on NSD. I've been going to different ones for the past 6 years and have never been provided with any instruction. Especially if she is renting a room, I don't think that $30 is unreasonable at all.
I've paid that much for CM crops, too, especially NSD, but that always includes a nice meal and lots of cute freebies: stickers and die cuts, idea sheets, and good door prizes (sticker packs, refills, albums!). For NSD there are usually extra goodies, like coffee mugs and templates.

I would expect a blow-out event for that much $.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 01:34 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

It is too much to pay if you think it is and it's not too much to pay if you don't think it is, KWIM? For some people an eight hour period of time to do nothing but stamp/crop/whatever would be worth it. For others, it wouldn't.

I think what you're really trying to figure out is if this demo is taking advantage of you or not. But again, that's something only you can judge. I think you shouldn't ask the question "is this person charging me too much?" Instead I think the proper question "is this more than I am willing to pay for this item/service/whatever?" You're not being taken advantage of if it's something you want to do and you are willing to pay that price to do it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 04:03 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by malindaplace
I've paid that much for CM crops, too, especially NSD, but that always includes a nice meal and lots of cute freebies: stickers and die cuts, idea sheets, and good door prizes (sticker packs, refills, albums!). For NSD there are usually extra goodies, like coffee mugs and templates.

I would expect a blow-out event for that much $.
OK, I know it's early for me, but what is 'NDS'?

non-stamping disorder?

Or for many of us,

Next stamping disorder?

Life is Better in the Village!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 04:19 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrslevite
OK, I know it's early for me, but what is 'NDS'?

non-stamping disorder?

Or for many of us,

Next stamping disorder?
Pretty good guess! But no.

National Scrapbook Day - Many CMCs hold events on or around that day. Usually the first weekend in May - which of course I always missed because it was on Kentucky Derby Day--one of the FEW days DH wanted to himself.

So I stay home and scrap!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 04:46 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellyBelly
OK, I don't mean to single you out, but this just sits wrong with me. Demos work hard to buy supplies, design projects, and prepare for such events. It is their BUSINESS, just like your job. Why should she not be expected to make money off her hard work? Local stamp and scrapbook stores routinely charge $20-$30 (and upwards) for an evening (6 hour) crop. This is just to supply the place to work on your projects. I totally do not think she is being unreasonable. After all, if she's paying rent for the venue (or even if she isn't) and supplying lunch for everyone, and taking time to design projects for everyone, she SHOULD make money.
I think you misunderstood what Scrapping&Stamping meant. I took it to mean how could her demo have made much money with all of the stuff that she supplied to them for $35. That she spent out more than she earned. I don't think she was saying anywhere in her post that she shouldn't have made money, but that she was amazed with how much she got for her buck. I took the post as praising her demo not criticizing her.

And to Randie, even to a Brit, who pays twice as much as you for everything, that seems REALLY expensive. And surely her job as a demo is to teach new techniques? You can have Beate teaching you new techniques for free on here. Maybe your demo should spend a little time on here learning new things. I thought that was the point of a demonstrator, she is a demonstrator as well as a salesperson. I don't think SU would be that happy to hear that this is your experience of a demonstrator representing their company.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 04:56 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

This is interesting. She sells CS by the sheet, adhesives, embellishments, and stamps. I honestly don't know if the stamps are all d/c'd. I never bothered to check.

Randie
Regardless of the price issue here and whether or not it is fair, it is WRONG for an SU demo to sell individual sheets of cardstock, etc as "cash and carry". This is against our contract and she could be "fired" for running her business this way.

Politely decline to go to the stamp camp by saying you do not want to participate in anything that is illegal. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 05:10 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Come on up, (Maine), and yes, it does look like that picture in late September/early October. Unfortunately, I'm a little out of season. Picture all those lovely colors that you see, all covered in wet, white stuff, and you've got it. The invitation's still open, though!
Visited Maine once and always wanted to go back. What better reason than to attend a stampin party?

You know, at the WSs where I've demoed, and they haven't numbered more than ten (I have a very inactive client base) I demo and the guests are able to create, using my supplies, two cards each and then I show a special WOW technique on one card I make only for the hostess. The hostess has always laid out an impressive spread of food . . . and unless they ordered something the guests got to enjoy themselves for free.

I've also done classes for seniors where I charged $6 and each lady made three cards. Two bucks a piece. I think maybe I'm on the low side but $30 is on the high side.
peggysue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 05:16 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffincards
Regardless of the price issue here and whether or not it is fair, it is WRONG for an SU demo to sell individual sheets of cardstock, etc as "cash and carry". This is against our contract and she could be "fired" for running her business this way.

Politely decline to go to the stamp camp by saying you do not want to participate in anything that is illegal. ;)
:rolleyes:I don't believe the OP mentioned whether her demonstrator was a Stampin' Up demo or a demo for another company.

:rolleyes:It's not illegal for an SU demo to sell cash & carry. It's a violation of her contract.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 05:38 AM   #37  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On most of the above mentioned "cheaper" camps, the demos are gambling that there will be high dollar sales (like at least $50-$75 from EACH participate just to break even) at the event. Between prep time (even a minimum wage), material costs, food costs, and door prizes they are starting out losing money.

Other demos choose not to gamble so much and try to get their earnings up front to cover costs.

Keep in mind the most demos are not trying to make alot of money from you, they are just trying to get to the point that they are not losing money.

You as the customer, have to decide what is too expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you have already made up your mind but I just wanted to put in my opinion as well;)
I do think that is high .... now if there were prizes and/or handouts and/or more make and take type things then it would be well worth it....
If all you are getting basically is a space and some kind of lunch (unless it is cattered) then that is way too high.

I have paid $30 for a NICE cattered lunch, prizes, demos and space but it was National Scrapbook Day and lots of fun.....

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
On most of the above mentioned "cheaper" camps, the demos are gambling that there will be high dollar sales (like at least $50-$75 from EACH participate just to break even) at the event. Between prep time (even a minimum wage), material costs, food costs, and door prizes they are starting out losing money.

Other demos choose not to gamble so much and try to get their earnings up front to cover costs.

Keep in mind the most demos are not trying to make alot of money from you, they are just trying to get to the point that they are not losing money.

You as the customer, have to decide what is too expensive.
I would concur strongly with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2006, 08:10 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssummerer
I pay $30 to go to an all day scrapbooking crop with lunch included a few times a year. This sounds like the same just like that except instead of scrapbooking, you're making cards. Think of it as 8 hours of uninterrupted stamping! No kids, husbands or other distractions! I am sure this is worth it for many women.
I agree with this! 30.00 to be out of the house and have some time with other women stamping is worth it to me.

Last edited by love scrappin; 01-25-2006 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes