Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #161  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
I changed, they stayed the same.
My thoughts exactly! I started this hobby 10 years ago after attending an SU party, and for years I used them pretty much exclusively - mostly because there weren't a whole lot of choices out there. However, in the last 3-4 years there has been a boom of stamp companies popping up - brick and mortar stores offer way more options than they did 10 years ago, and on the internet the sky's the limit! Now that I have so many options available to me, I've found that SU's stamp images don't speak to me the way they used to. Don't get me wrong, their product quality is top-notch and they are great for the beginning stamper, but I prefer more graphic/funky/modern styles than what SU offers. I've also gone unmounted, and hate having to deal with all those wood blocks... As a result, the only SU thing I've purchased since SAB last year is the Top Note die, and I just about flipped when tax and shipping added $10 to the final cost!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #162  
Gabfest Goddess

I love SU stuff.... the cardstock, the stamps, etc. The only big drawback for me is that you have to go through someone else. I am so used to going online and doing my own order OR going to the store and getting what I need. I just don't really like the whole "middleman" thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #163  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm probably a rare one in that I've never used SU stamps. (Well maybe once or twice.) If I had the option to buy them for less money without the wood, then I might buy a few sets. I REALLY don't like wood mounted. But overall most of them are not my style.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #164  
Rubber Obsessor

As someone who swore up and down I would never cave to Stampin Up products and would support LSS and businesses in my community..the quality of Stampin Up products completely won me over. Not to say I wont purchase other products, but their cardstock is the best Ive found thats not bazzill and the inks are AWESOME! The stamps are ok..but like others have posted..a bit outdated...but some are still really nice.. :-) and the quality that comes with them... to restate is outstanding! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #165  
Die Cut Diva

I too love the SU stamps, but at the moment cannot afford to place a regular order, I do however remain faithful in my inks, and supplies. I have started using other stamping companies stamps, I love the inkadinka doo stamps, and my Bellas too..lol I have since gone totally UM though so now I have more space for more stamps..Thank goodness for the BST forum. lol

I have the coolest sister in the world, navybrat75!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #166  
Glitter Guru

I love Stampin Up and have been part of a monthly group now for about 5 years now. I do have to say that when I found splitcoast it has opened my eyes to so many other stamps. My budget like all of us these days has changed and I like how you can just get single stamps and not a set that you wouldn't use more than one or two stamps. This season they have added a few set's for $10 and some singles. Hope to see more in the next catty! It's a smart way to buy when you are new to the stamping world
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #167  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
i for one don't care for clear stamps.

i love the wood mounted rubber!!!!

i do have some non SU! stamps but very few.

i will buy SU! forever!

i also think that there is enough of a market for clear, i don't see SU! going there.

SU! has a following and there are LOTS of stampers like me who prefer mounted rubber.
I agree 100%. I love the quality of wood mounted.....and would probably quit my demoship if SU changed.....
I hate clear and unmounted stamps...too much of a bother....even though pretty well every thread has something about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #168  
Compulsive Stamper

I started out the CTMH acrylic stamps but am finding that I like the "feel" of wood mounted rubber better. I also have a few that are unmounted rubber. I have resisted Stampin Up simply because it REALLY irritates me to pay that much and have to mount them myself. I might be more open to them if they came unmounted and ready to use on an acrylic block like the other unmounted rubber I have purchased.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #169  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
I love SU stuff.... the cardstock, the stamps, etc. The only big drawback for me is that you have to go through someone else. I am so used to going online and doing my own order OR going to the store and getting what I need. I just don't really like the whole "middleman" thing.
You can order SU! online if your demo as a Demonstrator Website. Or you can find a demo who does. You go straight to her website, order what you want, pay with your CC, and have it shipped right to your door! You never have to talk to the "middleman" at all.

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 AM   #170  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post

the 'middleman' is what i LOVE about SU!

i get the chance to try stuff before i buy it... kinda like a 'test drive'

and getting to share my passion with someone else who has the same passion! BONUS!!!

i ADORE my 'middleman'

you can order SU! online now BTW
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:10 AM   #171  
Mad Swapper

I too have grown tired of Stampin' Up for several reasons. I find their stamps are pretty much the same from catalog to catalog. I've been using SU products for about 6 years now, and nothing really is "new" to me.

Another reason is the expense. Often I don't need the whole set when I really use just one stamp. So although the entire set may be priced ok, by the time the shipping and tax is added, it gets too expensive for me.

Also, my current demo is rather ho-hum. At the last workshop, the cards we made were very boring. But I guess after a while, the demos must run out of ideas, especially when their SU business is not their main focus.

And, there are too too many nice stamps everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:12 AM   #172  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

momis mama....You are a very lucky lady. I like my Stampin' Up Consultant as a person, but I certainly don't get the same "perks" as you're talking about.

Some people are lucky in that their Demonstrator/Consultant is a crafter and not just a salesman for Stampin' Up.

There is a big difference between how each Demonstrator/Consultant chooses to run their own business. Not all offer the same benefits as others do.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 AM   #173  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
momis mama....You are a very lucky lady. I like my Stampin' Up Consultant as a person, but I certainly don't get the same "perks" as you're talking about.

Some people are lucky in that their Demonstrator/Consultant is a crafter and not just a salesman for Stampin' Up.

There is a big difference between how each Demonstrator/Consultant chooses to run their own business. Not all offer the same benefits as others do.

Patti

i DO feel very lucky!

the first demo i had was just in it for the $ i think, so i found someone else.

i wish that everyone was able to find one that THEY love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #174  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiggynineView Post
IAlso, my current demo is rather ho-hum. At the last workshop, the cards we made were very boring. But I guess after a while, the demos must run out of ideas, especially when their SU business is not their main focus.
For those of you who are unhappy with your demo, talk to her about it. Tell her you'd like to learn this technique or that card fold. I love it when my customers give me feedback. If she's unwilling to help you, try out another demo (unless of course she's your mother or sister-in-law or best friend, then I guess you're just out of luck ).

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #175  
Glitter Guru

I am bored with SU! images, they are recycling too much & everything seems similar the past few years.

I have been blessed to have been offered design team gigs for 3 stamp companies I adore so the benefits I get there far outweigh the little $ I make on my small customer base or even product with my discount.

I have way more fun with other stamp companies and feel like I was limiting myself when I was exclusive to SU! my happiness with stamping soared when I branched out!!
Gina K. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #176  
Mad Swapper

i like Stampin Up because everything is coordinated and if i bought only SU i know my projects would match perfectly. i have a few sets i bought from eBay, and i use the old catalogs as inspiration to make my own cards. but i admit, their prices are what prevents me from ordering from a catalog/rep.
The fact that the stamps are wood-mounted is fine with me, although i use both clear and WM stamps.
i have a SU stamp that is my favorite stamp ever- an angel holding a dove, which i have used for everything from a Pet Sympathy card to a Christmas card.
and SUs ultrafine embossing powder works like no other Embossing Powder i've ever tried.
i also have a lot of clear alphabet stamps, which i use faithfully as they are easy to line up the letters.
I find great deals on stamps at ACMoores and Michaels- there are literally bins of $1 clear stamps, and $1 and $2 wood-mounted stamps. and i go to a closeout store to look for good deals. recently, Target had discounted a bunch of clear stamps, so i bought a few.
as for paper, i but Slabs, stacks of 100 or more coordinated papers, on sale for under $10. I just bought a FooFaLah slab of 90 papers for $3.
I admit that i am cheap LOL but i love to feel like i got a great deal.
I have never been to an SU party, but would probably not buy too much from one if i were invited. I could see buying more embossing powder, in 3 or 4 colors, but to me, a stamp is a stamp, and $20+ a set is a bit much for me right now.
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #177  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started with Stampin Up and will primarily stay with them. Granted the stamps seem high if you only want one or two out of the set but I personally find I use more than one out of the set. I bought Just one stamp from HL and it cost me a little over $10 I would like to see some more cute stamps instead of so many flower sets from Stampin Up because I have quite a few (and love them all)

I have used some other companies for things Stampin Up don't offer a great variety of any longer but for the most part SU is my "#1".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #178  
Rubber Obsessor

I had one DOTS party and knew I was hooked on the hobby. I did research and signed up as a SU demo b/c of the matching cs, inks and the stamp sets. That was 11 years ago. I still like SU, but the past four catalogs have had little that appeal to me. I have switched to buying mostly PTI stamps, and have started collecting all their colors of c/s, ink and ribbon (their twill ribbon is the best!!). SU needs to come up with some fresh new stamp designs instead of what (IMO) are a lot of remakes of old sets. I also agree they have way to many floral sets. Again, IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #179  
Mad Swapper

For the longest time, I didn't purchase any SU products because I had to go thru a demonstrator. I just found out recently, that I can 'bypass' going thru a demonstrator by ordering thru SU and just picking someone, which I just did.

But also, SU has gone more the way of scrappers than stampers. The style of stamps offered are very limited.

And, to tell the truth, I was into stamping before I ever know about SU. There are some stamps I wished I would have purchased, but the major turn off for me was having to go thru a demonstrator when all I really wanted was product and didn't necessarily need any help.

But it's not just SU that I am that way with. I quit buying Mary Kay for the same reason. I just don't want the hassle of a 'sales person'. And quite frankly, a number of those types are quite pushy.

So, I've branched out. And there are a lot of good quality items out there that SU doesn't offer, i.e., acrylic stamps, etc.

Plus, sometimes I want it right now and I don't want to have to wait for it to be shipped to me or on backorder, etc.

I think I will continue to buy ink pads and colored paper from SU. And maybe an occasional set of stamps. I do like the die cut way that they are doing their sets now.

I hope that helps. You might want to take a look at a magazine called RubberStampMadness to get more of an idea of what I mean about the techniques and stamps that other companies offer.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #180  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't order their stamps because I prefer PTI, Inky Antics etc. I do, however, order their paper and inks. I love the fact that I can get everything to match. I order monthly too but limit myself to $25 a month.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #181  
Kookie Creator

I've just been reading some more of this thread and had more thoughts.

As far as wood-mounted stamps go, I think their prices are fine -- if you like all of the stamps in a set.

I do think, however, that they should all be die cut and ready to mount. Cutting our own images in 2009 seems archaic. Not mounted, as I like mine unmounted.

I also think it would be great to have an option to buy unmounted without wood. I have been successful selling or giving away my blocks, but I do wonder how much gets wasted by those who also prefer unmounted. It would also be less expensive.

I can always find images I like, but it sure does add up fast. I could never stick with one company exclusively. I just bought an adorable Hero Arts clear stamp set -- "Sending Happy Thoughts."

I also wish they would not retire the "in colors" as I always feel like I have to hoard them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #182  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been a stamper for many years since the '80's and had never heard of SU. I purchased everything by mail. Tlhere was alot of funky, off the wall companies from which to choose. I loved it. 'Mail art' was prevalent at that time along with RSM (Rubberstamp Madness Magazine). RSM has pretty much fizzled out now. I just restarted stamping again after 6 year vacation. (no time) Most of my stamps are not SU. I used to make complex construction cards. Now I choose to make simpler cards and I like belonging to a SU club. I think SU classic ink pads are the best, very juicy and stamp a excellent image with good coverage. I frequently use my other stamps but I love that SU products coordinate. I don't think that SU stamp sets are that expensive, go into a LSS and one small stamp can be $6.00-7.00. I do agree that there are too many flowers and too many 'friend' stamps at SU. I HATE getting a 'friend' stamp with practically every set. I've just recently made a decision not to purchase clear stamps after trying them for 6 months. I just don't feel that they will hold up to the test of time like my rubber stamps. I do like EZ mount and would be fine if SU went with that as an option. To each her own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #183  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 856 Likes on 282 Posts

Quote:

I do think, however, that they should all be die cut and ready to mount. Cutting our own images in 2009 seems archaic. Not mounted, as I like mine unmounted.
Actually as of the current Idea Book and Catalog at least 99% of the stamps ARE die-cut. That too was a wish that both customers and demos requested.

I am a demo but even if I wasn't I would still buy SU stuff. I do find my interest in other stamp companies peaking and when i have a little more expendable income I'll probably dip my toes in the waters of other stamp co.

I still think SU has the best quality wood mount stamps that are made and I don't ever want them to go acrylic. I wouldn't mind it if SU offered their sets with either the wood blocks or EZ mount options-more for my customers than for me though.

SU can change and I think they are trying to be quicker on their feet as far as implementing changes goes. I think people tend to forget that it takes time in a craft such as this for bigger changes to be made.
SU will be around for a long long time to come. They will continue serving a niche market (us wood lovers) for as long as we are here or wood doesn't exist anymore.

Kudos to all stamp companies that keep all of us stamp artists addicted to what we love. We couldn't do it without you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #184  
Insane Embellisher

I was a very loyal SU customer (to the tune of over 700 stamp sets) for almost all of my major purchases until they came out with that one catalog that seemed to have only circles or flowers and with all those doodley and double lined images that looked like they were drawn by right handed people using their left hand. That and the price hikes sent me looking for other options and I spent less than one tenth of my stamping allowance on SU that year. While I discovered so many other stamp companies, I still get every SU catalog, but now buy mostly paper and only a few sets. It seems that the catalogs turn over so quickly. that I don't have time to truly fall in love with a set before there is a new catalog. I have become much more particular in all my stamping related purchases. I have gone from having a hobby of "buying stamps and stuff" to actually "using" it and am enjoying myself more than I could have ever imagined!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #185  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberAKAmomView Post
I'm probably a rare one in that I've never used SU stamps. (Well maybe once or twice.) If I had the option to buy them for less money without the wood, then I might buy a few sets. I REALLY don't like wood mounted. But overall most of them are not my style.
I've never used SU products at all. I started as a scrapbooker and have expanded into stamping and papercrafting not just scrapbooking. I've looked through the online catalog and while I might see a couple of things I'd like to have, I really don't want to deal with a middleman at all. That's why I quit buying Avon which I really love. Of course I think I can buy that online now, but I digress. I still look and figure one of these days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:47 AM   #186  
Hardware Hotshot

"...I just don't want the hassle of a 'sales person'. And quite frankly, a number of those types are quite pushy."

I'm not much into "sales" people either; that's why I like the demo I use. I've never met her and probably never well. We do everything by email and PayPal. She's v-e-r-y accommodating and always quickly passes on anything SU has to offer.

I've not succumbed to the "I have to have every new toy" syndrome that I see happening, but that's what companies are all about. I'm not criticizing them; that's their livelihood.

The fact that SU is coming out with only 1 catalog per year starting in July indicates they are listening to us.

Off my soap box now. Have a great weekend.

Wadna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #187  
Rubber Obsessor

I am glad SU is going back to one catalog per year. The only benefit I saw with it is you got another "idea" on how to use the stamp sets that were in both books. I do love their CS and inks. I have drawers full of other abandoned ink pads.

I purchase mostly SU images. I love the rubber. I have some clear acrylics and don't care for the image quality, and feel they are not as long lived. I have gone unmounted. Space for all those wood blocks was wasted. I use more of my stamps now as they are closer at hand. I also have trouble using the demos mounted stamps as I am used to seeing exactly where my image is being placed.

I would not want to give up my demo. She is not a "Salesperson in it for the $" She is an inspiration...a teacher...and a great friend. It is true she introduces me to some great items and addicts me to them, but she never pressures anyone.

I feel SU will be around for a long time. I think they are listening to their customers, but it takes time to make major changes. I do hope eventually it will include the option to go to unmounted rubber without the wood, but I hope it is always RUBBER.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #188  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think there are a couple of major complaints here. Seems like lots of people don't want the wood and aren't happy that they have to pay for it (and pay for shipping it). I personally have not unmounted my stamps that already have wood, but I do also buy UM rubber from several different sources (online & shows). I store both kinds, but I admit that I *like* storing UM's better.
The other major thing I've seen is that lots of people don't like paying for entire sets when they only like a few of the images. I completely agree with that, aside from which, I don't think the sets are well priced anyway. I can buy an entire sheet of rubber, UM, from any number of sources for *significantly* less than I can buy a set from SU! I have never paid more than $15 for an entire sheet of rubber (I had to cut & mount on EZM) that has as many or more images than a SU! set. Shipping is cheaper, no wood to buy, storage is easier.... I guess that's why I don't buy SU! anymore, I don't feel that their prices are competitive with the market - especially since they only seem to have one 'style' of images.
In these tough economic times it's just easier to find $10 to spend at HL and use a coupon than it is to spend $30 on a set from SU! It's *always* easier to find a little bit of cash to spend on an impulse buy - that's why they stock the checkout lanes with junk!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #189  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I like SU, that is how I started out stamping but like others, I joined SCS and a whole new world of stamps was there LOL. I still buy mostly SU paper, DP, ink pads, reinkers and markers, but don't buy as many stamps as I used too, mainly because I can find other stamps that I like more from other companies. I think that I haven't bought as many SU stamps is because they don't offer what I want, mainly more masculine and children stamps. That said, I think I'll write to the company.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #190  
Crimping Master

I have followed this thread since the beginning but haven't posted. (I don't think ) Like a lot of others on here, I started with SU, and for years was a SU only girl. I have all of SU inks, cs , markers, etc, as well as over 175 sets. Since coming to SCS, I have discovered that SU is just the tip of the iceburg of the stamping world. Like one poster said so eloquently, I changed, they didn't. Nothing against SU, they are still a great company and they are still my primary source for cs, but for stamps, they ARE expensive compared to clear and unmounted stamps from other companies.

For the record, I still encourage my friends who are just getting into stamping to stay with SU. They would become overwhelmed otherwise (I know I would have) and SU has a great product line for the beginner stamper. I just need a little more variety and that is makes capitalism such a marvelous thing!!!

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #191  
Rubber Obsessor

Couldn't understand why anyone would choose to Rubber stamp anything but business use until I went to a Stampin Up Party. Now I am hip deep in SU cardstock, ink, markers, cardstock (it's hard to beat) and stamps. Am thinking about unmounting my stamps as they take up soooooo much room and they would store better in notebooks. Use some other products too. I understand they are going back to one catty a year ----yeaaaaahhhh! Do think there are too many kiddy looking stamps. Like more detail in what I use. Also didn't like the double mounts. I think they are going to do away with those too. So I think they do listen to what we say.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:06 AM   #192  
Hardware Hotshot

Our group is LUCKY....we have TWO SU demos who love what they do, are very talented and creative. We meet once a month with Karen for six cards and about every other month for 12 cards with Heather. Heather has now started a scrapbooking camp with 8 pages for $24.00. We are lucky ducks..that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #193  
Hardware Hotshot

One more thought...I just looked through the SU catalog while looking for examples of more modern stamps and what I consider "old fashioned". There have always been plenty of sets I do not like but I'm loyal to SU. I checked out some examples of what others on SCS feel are more modern companies. I was actually surprised to find quite a few modern sets in the SU catalog...actually I spied some sets I've never seen and I've looked at the new catty A LOT! I have always felt there are a lot of flowers and I'm not a big flower person....I do like their chunky, more modern flowers. SU is like any other company...they have a general style. If we only bought from PTI for five/ten years (or wherever) it would get old...the new companies are refreshing. I see the reason people buy from all over. I think it might be great for SU to offer mounted or unmounted. What came of this is I saw more SU sets I want! hmmmmm, not what I expected at all...have to get a second job

Last edited by Allistamps123; 03-01-2009 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #194  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My SU experience is limited- took an extended class at a craft convention several years ago and I have bought SU sets from ebay. I have ordered a few times for new stuff, but rarely.

This thread was fun to read. I must admit that I get a chuckle out of the SU diehards.

SCS is overwhelming with threads about all the different stamp companies and how they great they are. There are so many threads about all the different kinds and brands of paper and cardstock that people love using. There are almost daily threads comparing different stamp pads and inks.

What makes me chuckle are the many posts in this thread (and sometimes elsewhere) that state "I always use only SU" which then go on to state emphatically and categorically that "SU has the best paper" and "SU has the best stamp pads" and "SU makes the best quality stamps".

My question to these folks is: How do you know??????

Please be clear that I am NOT knocking SU. I have some SU stamps that I really like. I liked the paper that I used in class. I have a few tools that I like. BUT, I also have bought from dozens of other companies and therefore, I have a basis of comparison!

I often say that I think Lipton makes the best supermarket brand tea. (Although I can now get Twining's Irish breakfast at the supermarket I still don't think of it as a "supermarket brand" and it doesn't price like a supermarket brand.) I say this because my mother buys Tetley or sometimes Red Rose or Salada. I've had other brands when ordering out or at friends' houses. I am particular about how my tea tastes. When I say "I think Lipton is best" it is based on drinking tea for more than 50 years and having tried LOTS of brands.

So, I am not trying to change anyone's mind, but would really be curious how anyone can be so sure they are using the best when what they are using is all they use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #195  
scrapperazzi

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post

What makes me chuckle are the many posts in this thread (and sometimes elsewhere) that state "I always use only SU" which then go on to state emphatically and categorically that "SU has the best paper" and "SU has the best stamp pads" and "SU makes the best quality stamps".

My question to these folks is: How do you know??????

Just because people only use SU! now doesn't mean that they have always only used SU!

I only use SU! but I have used other products and so yes, we do know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #196  
Insane Embellisher

I love SU, but I love other companys as well such as PTI, There She Goes, Whipper Snapper. The list goes on. I am a person of variety. Lately SU just has not lived up to my need for that. So I like alot of other people on here I see that are demos have branched out a little bit. I still have all the SU inks, markers, CS. Which I might add...NOBODY has better CS then SU. I have had probably every other companys and SU rocks! I love the DSP too! I am such a paper freak that I have just about run out of where to put it all. I will remain a lover of SU...that will never go away. I have stamped for almost 10 years. This is a great thread BTW~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #197  
Kookie Creator

tchk:

I agree with you. I cannot understand with the hundres of different items on the market that someone could emphatically say that everything they sell is the best. Some of the tools they sell aren't even exclusive to them, so this makes no sense to me. EK Success makes their punches, for example.

I think it is a business to some people, and because of this they cannot compete with themselves and put in plugs for other companies. I have a feeling if Stampin Up could be bought at a regular craft store or scrapbook store along with Hero Arts and Inkadinkado, for example, some of this would change.

How can anyone not think Hero Arts is fabulous quality? Or Inkadinkado or even Hampton Arts (the maker of the dollar stamps?) That is without even bringing in acrylic stamp companies.

How can anyone say that Bazzill is not nice cardstock? I used to buy kraft and fossil color cardstock from A C Moore at 5 cents a sheet when on sale and it was AMAZING. I still have over 100 sheets because I stocked up. I am glad I did because they no longer sell it. I think it was Paper Company or something like that. It is my favorite kraft cardstock. I have not tried several of the cardstock companies, so without trying them, I cannot say that Stampin Up is the best. The color coordination is great, but quite frankly, the kraft cardstock I have IS as good as or better than Stampin Up.

How can anyone not think that Cuttlebug embossing folders are fabulous? How can anyone not like Clearsnap's Fluid Chalk Inks?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #198  
Watercolor Wizard

I love my SU stuff, it does dominate my craft space. But, I too have branched out to more sources for stamps, designer paper, and alternative coloring and ink media. Sure, the have awesome quality supplies, but when you run out of adhesive or need pink ribbon, you don't want to pay for shipping when you could swing by your local craft or scrapbooking store. And while I continue to prefer their colored cardstock to any other, Staples white cardstock or GP white is every bit as good in my book, and a whole lot less $$. And I agree with some that their designs are getting kind of boring and are not hip and fresh, with some exceptions of course!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #199  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
the 'middleman' is what i LOVE about SU!

i ADORE my 'middleman'

Me, too! Danielle totally rocks!

I'm not an SU purist at all, but try to stick to three companies (PTI, Hero Arts, SU) in an effort to keep everything manageable. All my paper is SU except white, cream, and kraft (PTI), and I have allt the SU inks and markers. I get overwhelmed by all the choices after a while and tired of trying to match things. SU simplifies that for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #200  
Matboard Maniac

I agree that they need to go Acrylic. I love being able to see what I am stamping.

Also, there are many of us who like to sell our cards and awhile back I heard that you couldn't use SU stamps if you were making cards to sell. Is that true?

Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes