Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New trends in hobbies??

After reading several different unrelated posts about our beloved papercrafting hobby having reached its zenith , I am just sort of wondering what does everyone think will be the next big fad?

Many, many years ago home sewing died out. But then quilting made a big come back. Now it seems that home sewing is on the upswing again.

Then back in the 60's/70's crewel work and macrame were all the rage. That died out but left counted cross stitch to fill the void. I loved doing crewel work and needlepoint, but that doesn't seem to be coming back any time soon.

Now knitting is sort of in vogue again ( and maybe to a lesser degree crocheting ). Knitting has even sort of re-invented itself to appeal to the younger crowd with the Knifty Knitter looms.

Scrapbooking and related papercrafts still seem to be holding their own, but just barely.

Any ideas on the next wave? Pottery? Weaving? Photography?

Not that it really matters - I can not squeeze one more hobby related expense into my budget. I'm just curious what you all think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Doesn't this depends on the person's interest? I love photography and it's what I'm trying to do better right now but I'll always love to scrapbook, if nothing else, what I photographed and so that'll always be with me. I never liked e-cards and so with my supplies I'll always make cards too. I do love to felt stitch and crochet. Not good yet but trying. I would love to sew better but I have only so many hours in the day with a family and working 1.5 jobs. I also love to cook and experiment and I'd love to be a better baker. I don't think I'd want to add anymore oh but wait... I've been wanting to get back to music and so guitar lessons would be nice in between. Don't forget my books... love to read

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by putriView Post
.... I also love to cook and experiment and I'd love to be a better baker. I don't think I'd want to add anymore oh but wait... I've been wanting to get back to music and so guitar lessons would be nice in between. Don't forget my books... love to read ...
LOL! I know - I've been eying beading but I'm just too afraid to even consider adding another hobby!

Here is my theory - Big box stores are getting bigger, smaller specialty store are getting more rare.

Eventually, everything starts to look the same and its all driven by what can be manufactured the cheapest. I think there is going to be somewhat of a revival of home made and hand crafted just because we will all eventually get so completely bored with all having the exact same 3/4 length sleeve t-shirts in the same 5 colors.

At least I hope so.... I'd like to think there is still room in the world for things made by hand.

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom0fgirlsView Post
LOL! I know - I've been eying beading but I'm just too afraid to even consider adding another hobby!

Here is my theory - Big box stores are getting bigger, smaller specialty store are getting more rare.

Eventually, everything starts to look the same and its all driven by what can be manufactured the cheapest. I think there is going to be somewhat of a revival of home made and hand crafted just because we will all eventually get so completely bored with all having the exact same 3/4 length sleeve t-shirts in the same 5 colors.

At least I hope so.... I'd like to think there is still room in the world for things made by hand.

Actually, I've had my eye on beading too! I was browsing the beading aisle one day looking at possibilities for card embellishments.......and knowing myself too well I had to walk away.

In a way I was hoping the economic crash would revive some by-gone crafts/skills...... but then I thought....., do I really want to make my own soap and candles out of necessity??? I would really like to see crewel make a come back though. I still love hand stitching; I have an embroidery machine and probably about 5000+ designs ( all downloaded free from the internet ) but it sure doesn't have the look of hand stitched.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Gee......I don't see any evidence of Paper Crafting fading out as is stated in Post #1. I teach paper crafting other than scrapbooking and see no decline in classes or interest. People are realizing just how much there is to do in the world of Paper Crafting.

I think a craft is only dying out if you are not interested. There are still lots of people who do all the crafts mentioned in these previous posts.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Gee......I don't see any evidence of Paper Crafting fading out as is stated in Post #1. I teach paper crafting other than scrapbooking and see no decline in classes or interest. People are realizing just how much there is to do in the world of Paper Crafting.

I think a craft is only dying out if you are not interested. There are still lots of people who do all the crafts mentioned in these previous posts.

Patti
I just hear of so many independent scrapbooking stores that have closed, and the big box stores seem to be reducing their inventory noticibly. I know the economy is the driving factor there, but if there were still a high demand for those stores/supplies they probably would still be around. So maybe a waning interest?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

my 11 year old daughter is sooo into beading right now, she loves it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post

Patti

I agree..........It's stronger than ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

i have thought about this quite often - especially since i run a papercrafting/stamping store! i agree that whats *in* changes but i have rarely seen a craft with the sticking power of this one. i notice the changes as it becomes harder to find all the stuff needed for certain things in the stores. however with the internet you can find anything nowadays. one thing that really struck me about how BIG paperscrafting is in the hobby/craft industry was seeing it at CHA - the entire huge showfloor was AT LEAST 3/4 papercrafting and the rest was for everything else. i was a little disappointed since i dabble in so many other crafts - i do ploymer clay, beading, crochet, and cookie decorating to name a few.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I love my papercrafting and can't see giving it up anytime soon. I've been a cross stitcher forever and would love to learn how to make wool rugs but like so many others I hate start another hobby that requires financial output. Is there one that doesn't?!! Plus there's the time - after working full time and taking care of your family/home there's only so much time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a friend in the "industry" that has worked in stamping and needle art. She's seen a real decline in the papercrafting world, but an upsurge in the needle art. She told me that needle art seems to do better in a bad economy, perhaps because people do get back to basics and like making quality hand-crafted items and gifts. She attended a big needle art trade show in September, and there's still a lot of excitement there.

I got back into needle art this past year after dsicovering punch needle. Now, I think more of my crafting budget goes to the needle art than the paper crafting! There are so many new products since my cross stitching days about twenty years ago...overdyed flosses, hand-dyed linens, charms and buttons, felted woolens. Lots of cool designers out there, too.

I say do what you love, whether it's in fashion or not!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't know if this industry is dying down because two of the classes that I teach at my LSS are "Beginning Scrapbooking" and intro to Copic Markers I and II, and they are full every month. I think we're losing LSS's all over the world because people are spending less, but I don't think people are crafting less.

I know that I am spending WAY less $$ than I ever have, but I'm still making as many projects as I ever have, and that's because I'm actually using my stash! Anyway...

Trends.. These crocheted hats I'm seeing everywhere. Etsy is booming with them! And I'm also seeing a lot of stitchery. I have a friend who's a genius at it, and it's gorgeous, and she says that craft is booming too! (i wouldn't have known if I did't know her, though...)

Like an earlier post said, YOU will find stuff popular if YOU are interested in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I sure hope paper crafting doesn't die out. I love it way too much. I don't spend nearly as much as I have in the past, but I could do thousands of projects with the stash I have accumulated over the years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think knitting will ever completely die away, it witnesses surges and quiet periods, but it is a practical craft and you know what they say about it, you just need 'two sticks and some string.' Now the 'string' I buy happens to be expensive and I do buy it at a specialty knitting store, but in that craft at least, I've stopped buying yarn 'for the future' and buy it as I use it.

Cross stitching is a nice, relaxing hobby but I'm slow. I can make a card in an evening (because I'm slow at that too, I fuss too much) but I certainly can't cross stitch a picture in one evening and then, how many pictures do I need? Someone can always use a piece of happy mail, so I can't see giving up card making.

As far as the smaller, independent brick-and-mortar stores closing, it IS sad, but I believe that online stores owned by independents will help keep the unique and different products available that you don't find in big box stores. And the explosion of blogs displays an enormous amount of creativity that helps fuel the passion for creating things yourself.

I've actually seen a bit of a resurgence in tatting, something else i used to do, although I haven't pulled out my shuttles to start in again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I can't imagine papercrafting as going out, it has been around for too many years...

I have been an avid knitter, crocheter for over 50 years, I have never seen it go out either...sewing is somthing that has faded as thed price of fabric has gone up and clothes are closer in cost...

Everyone jumps into the fads that hit, some last longer than others, some just fad away...As long as it is something that I enjoy doing, I for one will not stop or take on anything *new* for now...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
I have an embroidery machine and probably about 5000+ designs ( all downloaded free from the internet ) but it sure doesn't have the look of hand stitched.
there seems to be a 'device' to imitate so many crafts nowadays. While machinery can expidate the production process, I really prefer to do what I can with my own hands instead. (That wouldn't mean hand-stitching a garment together of course), but overall, where possible, I simply love to create it by hand.

Hand-quilting is a very contemplative and relaxing craft - doing it by machine is good for quilts needed in a hurry.

Hand embroidery - what fun! For the crazy-patchwork , I've done in the past, I could hardly see me getting so much out of it if I were to run the machine over the fabric pieces instead.

One new craft I've taken on during this year has been paper-cutting, or scherenschnitte, as it may be known to some from days of old. It is known by many names in differing countries that have a paper-cutting background in early days. My article here shows you how to work with paper-cutting if you are wondering.

This can be an arduous craft to take on, cutting precisely with a craft knife or tiny scissors to create a silhouetted image. The same can be created now with a laser-cutter! Darn, they would make it all so easy too, but it just would take the whole 'creative' process away. That feeling of accomplishment that goes with it when you complete your cut-out which sometimes might be many hours depending on the item.

As to the next craft wave - it's really hard to say what will be next. I do believe though that card-making, and scrapbooking will remain. Since this is now a digital world; digital scrapbooking will probably hold fast too. Who can go past owning a digital camera, so why not scrapbook in that fashion also. It's lots of fun to create with your graphics programme.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

ooohhhhhhh ..... tatting! Now THAT is something that I haven't seen in years and years. And so portable too. Ya never know if scrumptuous laces ever make a big comeback in fashion - tatting might re-surface too.

I don't really think paper crafting will fade away, I was just wondering what the next new generation of crafters will dig into. It sort of seems like crafts go in and out of style ( just like fashion ) and then after so many years get re-discovered again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know of 3 stores to close in this area and all the reasons were the same--not because of money (they said they made plenty) but because of the time and being retirement age. Husbands retire, families move on and people downsize thus selling the stores. They must have made some profit because I have seen 2 of the women's houses!

As far as sewing...as a sewing teacher for 30 years, I never had a class 'not make' during registration. Project Runway made another impact recently. And the line at the fabric stores here are out the door daily...I have a bad habit and go in almost every day. I am powerless over fabric! I admit it!

I have recently bought 12 new patterns and will be making many of my clothes after shopping the last 2 seasons and finding nuthin' but frump for women my age. I am 55 but I refuse to look like a thing from another century just yet. Also, my daughter has asked me to make her wedding dress for next September...the alterations were almost $700 for a $395 dress that wasn't even real fibers (polyuckster) so she had a wish and I will do it for her. The other wedding dress she loved but still had to have the alterations was $5,750...she has great taste but a 34F bust and 32 inch hip. Poor thing--she got that from me. Not the hips--boy, would I love to have those again!

I recently found my grandmother's tatting shuttles and a place that gives free lessons. I just can't seem to find the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I already do beading, stamping, photography, and hairbows. I HOPE nothing else looks so interesting that I HAVE to do it. lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

hairbows, nooooo!!! as she runs away screaming

When I was cheer sponsor at the school I made all 60 bows for the girls and then my daughter cheered 4 years in high school on a squad of 12 x 3 squads x 4 bows each...my fingers never hurt so bad as those years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I think the paperart industry is quite healthy here in Australia, but then the huge economic disaster did not affect us as badly as the USA.

I think there is still enough interest out there with "older" stampers and many who are just becoming interested.

I am a hardanger and cross stitch specialist too (but rarely pick them up because my fetish is with stamping and has been for ever so long!) , can knit and crochet (but I don't here coz it is too hot where I live.)

The closing of bricks and mortar shops could be for a myriad of reasons...not just economy...retirement...health....change of direction....etc etc...not necessarily a falling of interest.

Maybe the way of the future will be Internet buying? I know plenty of who avail ourselves of buying most stuff off the net...that has to filter down and heavily impact the B&M shops.

But, no...I would totally disagree (nicely!) that the paperarts have reached their peaked and are on the slide out. I certainly do not see this around me.....and even if it does happen...I will still be stamping. Tis in my blood!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am seeing cross-stitch have a resurgence, especially with cardmakers. I love it since cross-stitching is my first crafting love. I know that cross-stitching hasn't really gone out of style even though a lot of mainstream crafter's feel like it has. There are so many beautiful patterns out now by some of the top artists that I feel like stitching is more popular than ever.

Oh, I love macrame! I really do, lol. I think it's the coolest. I am into all those 70's retro crafts.

Russian Punch Needle is gaining popularity. Which I am happy about too because I love it.

Right now besides making my cards and journaling pages I am working on a latch hook kit.

Amigurumi is the big trend right now. My DH is making me a little octopus. I just made an octopus on a loom.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I completely agree with everyone who thinks paper crafting is here to stay. I've been crafting since I was a kid. In elementary school, I'd make carvings with the speedball tools & brayer on paint. I had a craft area set up in my basement. We'd make wreaths like crazy. Then there was quilting, cross stich, crochet & plastic canvas. Then I started watching Aleen's at noon on the county channel. My mom would order me the sets. Before I knew it, I had my first stamp, embossing powder & ink. That was 1988. I have really seen the industry grow & change. I do think the paper crafting may have reached a pinnacle, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. With the internet, we have unlimited choices for stamping image while the companies have lower overhead than the traditional stamp stores. I have seen three beloved stamping stores close because they weren't making the money they needed to keep afloat. I think the interest was there, but many customers were using their stamping budgets to get a variety of stamping goods from the internet. After all, the stamp stores couldn't anticipate everything their customers may want. I love all of the choices we have on-line & I still think this industry is growing. The one thing that I do think has slowed is the many latest & greatest ideas. I try fewer new gadgets. I already have many that work for me, so why change them? There are still several new products coming out. Things like clear stamps, Nestabilities & embossing folders have changed the way I stamp, for the better! I'm sure another craft will become the new in thing, but stamping isn't going anywhere any time soon. JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
I know of 3 stores to close in this area and all the reasons were the same--not because of money (they said they made plenty) but because of the time and being retirement age. Husbands retire, families move on and people downsize thus selling the stores. They must have made some profit because I have seen 2 of the women's houses!

As far as sewing...as a sewing teacher for 30 years, I never had a class 'not make' during registration. Project Runway made another impact recently. And the line at the fabric stores here are out the door daily...I have a bad habit and go in almost every day. I am powerless over fabric! I admit it!

I have recently bought 12 new patterns and will be making many of my clothes after shopping the last 2 seasons and finding nuthin' but frump for women my age. I am 55 but I refuse to look like a thing from another century just yet. Also, my daughter has asked me to make her wedding dress for next September...the alterations were almost $700 for a $395 dress that wasn't even real fibers (polyuckster) so she had a wish and I will do it for her. The other wedding dress she loved but still had to have the alterations was $5,750...she has great taste but a 34F bust and 32 inch hip. Poor thing--she got that from me. Not the hips--boy, would I love to have those again!

I recently found my grandmother's tatting shuttles and a place that gives free lessons. I just can't seem to find the time!
I'm right there with ya on the fabric addiction! For years I would "sneak" more and more fabric into the house. Now, I'm trying to use my stash - with only limited success.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I wish I had a clue what The Next Big Thing will be. I see a big comeback in t-shirt painting and tie dying all sorts of stuff. Beading and other jewelry making is huge right now. At Barnes & Nobles the paper crafting magazines are getting squeezed out by beading and quilting magazines.
Part of the decline in hobbies overall is the shift away from the nesting of the nineties, the home was a great place to be and enjoy your time away from work. I see everyone, from kids to retirees getting involved with so many outside activities and clubs that no one is reserving time to create things. Kids and teens are on the computer or playing video game or texting or in sports and don't explore the "hands on" side of recreation much.
Thanks for a thought-provoking thread.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #26  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I don't see paper crafting dying out. People's lives are so busy they need a quick and easy creative outlet. It takes me all winter to make a quilt but I can whip up a card in 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 04:46 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I am seeing cross-stitch have a resurgence, especially with cardmakers. I love it since cross-stitching is my first crafting love. I know that cross-stitching hasn't really gone out of style even though a lot of mainstream crafter's feel like it has. There are so many beautiful patterns out now by some of the top artists that I feel like stitching is more popular than ever.

Oh, I love macrame! I really do, lol. I think it's the coolest. I am into all those 70's retro crafts.

Russian Punch Needle is gaining popularity. Which I am happy about too because I love it.

Right now besides making my cards and journaling pages I am working on a latch hook kit.

Amigurumi is the big trend right now. My DH is making me a little octopus. I just made an octopus on a loom.
Please explain for those of us who don't know, what is amigurumi?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
Also, my daughter has asked me to make her wedding dress for next September...the alterations were almost $700 for a $395 dress that wasn't even real fibers (polyuckster) so she had a wish and I will do it for her. The other wedding dress she loved but still had to have the alterations was $5,750...she has great taste but a 34F bust and 32 inch hip. Poor thing--she got that from me. Not the hips--boy, would I love to have those again!
Linda! You will have to share with us the final dress!

Personally I have always wanted to learn how to sew correctly... I can mend etc. but I always did it for costuming and would love to learn more. Everytime I cost out making a living out of sewing though it become prohibitive. I guess there is money in tailoring and alterations but that's not my favorite thing to do.

I don't know what the next big trend is, however, it seems to be leaning toward wearable art.

ETA-
And PeggySue your avatar just reminded me - there are loads of cooking shows and cake decorating shows so I'm sure that some people will move to that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a sister who is into recycling wool sweaters for felted items. She's also into wool roving, another new trend.

I agree with other posters who felt that the real decline in paper crafts is the brick and mortar store, not necessarily the craft. Of course, with the advent of Archivers, perhaps competition is too fierce. I'm sure the internet sales are doing just fine...maybe not stellar, but okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I think the little stores will always be eaten away by the big guys. It's unfortunately a fact of life. I don't necessarily think it shows a decline in crafting, but in the amount and quality of supplies we can purchase because there really is no one in the "big" stores willing to help.
As the owner of a small card and gift store, my husband and I understand the need to help the customer and make suggestions or get find they need. Big stores don't do that. But, that being said, we can't compete with the big guys in terms of pricing, so customers tend not to buy local and that does hurt our business. The LSS are no different. And how many sheets of cardstock do you need to sell to make the rent?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 06:07 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I guess I've never been hooked into a craft because it was "trendy". I scrapbooked more than 20 years ago as a teenager. I used some fancy scissors, some stickers, paper punches, and (insert shudder here) rubber cement. I did needlepoint and cross-stitch work frequently then, and still do now to a lesser extent. I learned to knit about 10 years ago, before the trendiness took hold. I still knit now as well. And beading has become of great interest to me as well. There aren't many crafts that I haven't at least dabbled in! My point is that I think people find what inspires them and interests them. Of course, there always will be the next big thing, but I couldn't even begin to predict it!
I do have to say though that I have several "Mom and Pop" craft stores that I frequent as much as possible. I love the variety they have, and the samples and classes offered. And the staff at these type of stores actually know how to use the product well and will often demonstrate (that's how I learned to heat emboss, for example).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #32  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see a decline in papercrafting, but I do see an upswing in people saying they are not buying more until they use what they have.

I am all for that, even though it means my personal sales are down. I always hated hearing women say "my husband is going to KILL me" as they handed me a huge check that was far more than they should have really spent. It still happens, but it is much more rare to see those big splurges.

Interesting discussion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't think papercrafting will go away, either. It may not be as big, or it may lose many to the digital format of it... but I think there are so many of us that just love the feeling of paper in our hands and glue stuck to our fingers!! :-D

I used to cross-stitch and I enjoyed it, but now it hurts my hands too much. Being that I do massage therapy on the side, I really have to avoid it to save my hands. I would love to learn how to knit, have wanted to try it for years now. I'd also love to get better at sewing so I could make things instead of buying them - even just household stuff like curtains, slipcovers, etc.

I would like to see a result of this economy be that we get back more into home-made things. Or at least appreciate it them more than junk made from China that is sold by the millions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
I don't see a decline in papercrafting, but I do see an upswing in people saying they are not buying more until they use what they have.

I am all for that, even though it means my personal sales are down. I always hated hearing women say "my husband is going to KILL me" as they handed me a huge check that was far more than they should have really spent. It still happens, but it is much more rare to see those big splurges.

Interesting discussion!
I have found that my splurges tend to be things that will last. Stamps will last. I also tell myself to think of at least a handful of projects (and that doesn't mean 6 identical cards for a set) I can use that stamp on... That helps too weed out wants from useful (I don't know that I "need" stamps but they sure make me happy):mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post

Interesting discussion!
This is me. I'm trying to use what I already have instead of buying more right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
After reading several different unrelated posts about our beloved papercrafting hobby having reached its zenith , I am just sort of wondering what does everyone think will be the next big fad?

Many, many years ago home sewing died out. But then quilting made a big come back. Now it seems that home sewing is on the upswing again.

Then back in the 60's/70's crewel work and macrame were all the rage. That died out but left counted cross stitch to fill the void. I loved doing crewel work and needlepoint, but that doesn't seem to be coming back any time soon.

Now knitting is sort of in vogue again ( and maybe to a lesser degree crocheting ). Knitting has even sort of re-invented itself to appeal to the younger crowd with the Knifty Knitter looms.

Scrapbooking and related papercrafts still seem to be holding their own, but just barely.

Any ideas on the next wave? Pottery? Weaving? Photography?

Not that it really matters - I can not squeeze one more hobby related expense into my budget. I'm just curious what you all think.
Very honestly, I don't see the paper crafting hobby dying at all. The only ones leaving it are the ones who really do not and never have taken it seriously and follow the trends or the fads.

There are certain hobbies that I love and could care less what the "trend" is out there. I think there are some people who dabble in it all whether the hobby is really their thing or not.

That also is the reason many small craft stores go out of business. Someone sees the newest trend and without doing their demographics and working the numbers, they just open a store an the majority of them (small ones) last approximately 3 to 4 years and go out of business. This does not mean that the craft has died out. It just means that there were too many craft stores to begin with.

You talk about sewing having died out. It may not be as popular as it once was, but, we have one store in our city that sells fabric (other than the quilt shops) and the line up to get a piece of fabric cut is so long that many people give up. This is Joann's, a chain craft store that purchases enough fabric that they can afford to put on huge sales just to draw in the customers to buy other craft items while they draw a number and wait a half hour to 45 minutes to get their fabric cut.

I personally would never get into beading, but I have several close friends who do amazing work and make beautiful jewelry and other bead work.
I have other friends who do amazing needlepoint and cross stitch pieces.

I actually think the papercrafting is not only going strong, but still growing. The more my club members talk about what we do in our hostess club workshops, the more calls I get wanting to learn to do these things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

For the question what is amigurumi...
According to Wilkepedia...
Amigurumi (lit. Knitted stuffed toy) is the Japanese art of knitting or crocheting small stuffed animals and anthropomorphic creatures. The word is derived from a combination of the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning stuffed doll.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with others that I don't think papercrafting is dying out. However, it IS expensive for small shops to operate. A local store owner has commented that between the big box stores and the internet, it's been tough going. I think that internet sales really hit the LSS's especially hard - where else can you find whatever you want whenever you want it and can shop around for the best price all without leaving your home?

I've definitely noticed a surge in knitting, felting, beading (that one's been going for awhile), though I think the do-it-yourself pottery thing might be slowing down. How's the song go, "everything old is new again"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

I have noticed in both the M's and Walmart stores locally that suddenly their beading section has EXPLODED. WM used to have like a tiny dinky thing of a couple beads. Now they have two rows. Only about one side of a row for paper crafts. So although I don't think it is going to die....I do see changes.

From what I have seen it is all about stuff to wear:
-Beaded jewelry
-Silk screened clothes
-sewing clothes and purses
-Hair bows of sorts (blooms in particular...not so much random bows, but blooms are huge)
-Pins/Corsages that are made from beads or sewn fabric blooms
-knit scarves, sweaters, and hats
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Amigurumi

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

I learned something new today. Thank you, I love learning new things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amigurumi
Reply With Quote Likes