Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #121  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget19View Post
One more question (my soon-to-be upline is also looking for this answer) can you substitute craft pads for the 6 classic you get? I assume the answer is no. So I will have to get 2 duplicates... which 2 should I get? Basic Black and ?
If you have all of the other classic pads, including the 5 neutrals (basic black, basic brown, basic gray (new), going gray and sahara sand) and all the new in-colors, then I guess I would get basic black as a duplicate and then whatever other neutral color you tend to stamp with the most. Or, you might get an extra yo-yo yellow pad to use as a stamp cleaner. I've never actually tried this myself, but I've read on SCS that people use the yo yo yellow to take the stains off their stamps. Pretty wild!

Another option would be to get two extra basic black pads and use one as a door prize.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #122  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

[QUOTE=stampwithdiane;6827806]Or, you might get an extra yo-yo yellow pad to use as a stamp cleaner. I've never actually tried this myself, but I've read on SCS that people use the yo yo yellow to take the stains off their stamps. Pretty wild!
QUOTE]

I have never heard of this before! Now I am intrigued. :-)

Great idea on the door prize factor too. I dont actually have all the colors yet, but if that time comes thats a great idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 03:04 AM   #123  
Embossing Fanatic

Question Upcoming Regional Dates and Locations?

I'm thinking of signing up but would like to know when the upcoming regionals are.

Has Stampin Up released this information?

Thanks,
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 03:31 AM   #124  
Embossing Fanatic

I was just about to send in my paperwork this week, I've had it filled out for a couple weeks and my demo has already signed it for me...Just one question- Is there a special code or anything that I have to put on my starter kit order form? where do I write which color family I want. I was just wondering if anyone has this info because I hate to bother my busy demo with a little detail like that. She isn't qualified to be my upline and I think she may be a little dissapointed that I am signing up because she will be losing my sales when I become a demo and also the sales of my 2 close friends and my MIL.
Thanks!
Nicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #125  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by erniessweetpeaView Post
I was just about to send in my paperwork this week, I've had it filled out for a couple weeks and my demo has already signed it for me...Just one question- Is there a special code or anything that I have to put on my starter kit order form? where do I write which color family I want. I was just wondering if anyone has this info because I hate to bother my busy demo with a little detail like that. She isn't qualified to be my upline and I think she may be a little dissapointed that I am signing up because she will be losing my sales when I become a demo and also the sales of my 2 close friends and my MIL.
Thanks!
Nicki
Just write the name of the color family you want at the top of your order form. If you don't write anything, I think the default color family you'll get is rich regals.

<---- (Aren't my nephew & niece cute? They take after their aunt, I think!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 05:38 AM   #126  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks!
Nicki
Hi Nicki -- don't mean to interfere, but your statement that your demo "isn't qualified to be your upline" and is "disappointed that you're signing up" set off a red flag. I know that when you're signing up the natural thing to do is to choose your personal demo as your upline, but this is not a requirement and if you're already feeling misgivings about the amount of support and encoragement you're going to have from your future upline perhaps you should discuss this with her first. It may be that she is just not interested in supporting and training a downline. She also may not sell enough monthly to benefit from having a downline and she may not be interested in growing her business. On the other hand, while she might be disappointed with the loss of your sales, she may be thrilled to have a downline and may be willing to do a lot to suport you. These are thing you need to know before you make a decision to sign up under her.

I know many people are successful without a supporting upline, but too many demonstratos sign up and are very unhappy with their uplines and that has a negative impact on their business. So it really makes sense to have that type of discussion before you send in your paperwork.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #127  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
Hi Nicki -- don't mean to interfere, but your statement that your demo "isn't qualified to be your upline" and is "disappointed that you're signing up" set off a red flag. I know that when you're signing up the natural thing to do is to choose your personal demo as your upline, but this is not a requirement and if you're already feeling misgivings about the amount of support and encoragement you're going to have from your future upline perhaps you should discuss this with her first. It may be that she is just not interested in supporting and training a downline. She also may not sell enough monthly to benefit from having a downline and she may not be interested in growing her business. On the other hand, while she might be disappointed with the loss of your sales, she may be thrilled to have a downline and may be willing to do a lot to suport you. These are thing you need to know before you make a decision to sign up under her.

I know many people are successful without a supporting upline, but too many demonstratos sign up and are very unhappy with their uplines and that has a negative impact on their business. So it really makes sense to have that type of discussion before you send in your paperwork.
I totally agree with this! It sent up a flag for me as well! Every active demo is "qualified" to be an upline, some just prefer not to!

She may be sad you are signing up (losing a customer), not dissappointed (or at least she shouldn't be - it's YOUR choice!) Besides it means she's doing her job - helping you discover your love of Stampin' Up! You may want to find a demo that is going to support you the way you feel you need supporting. Good luck and CONGRATS to ALL who are signing up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #128  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas! I do have a few things that I could sell on Ebay and my sister and I have been wanting to have a garage sale so maybe I could use what I make at that to start up my business. Thank you again! I am getting butterflies in my stomach. I am so excited!!

"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."-Lou Holtz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #129  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm not worried about my demo/upline situation. My demo told me that her upline will be contacting me and that she is really great, energetic and enthusiastic about SU, she also has a large group of downlines and does a lot of training and activities with her group, my demo just chooses not to participate. I just wanted to get my application in, so I had my demo sign it. I just want to do this as a hobby anyway. I have two kids, am involved in my church and manage a bakery, this is not a career for me. I just wrote that my demo is sad I guess to lose 4 great customers (me, MIL and friends) from her small customer circle. I will have no problem making my minimums. She just doesn't want to lose customers. I can't wait to meet my upline though. Even though I will be actively looking for more business, I still plan on going to her meetings and activities to really see all that SU has to offer and to stay on top of things.
BTW...mailed my application this morning! I can't wait!!!
Nicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #130  
Compulsive Stamper

I think it's also great that SU is providing the InColors as an option too. Even though it's only 6 additional pads instead of 12, many people who may be considering this promotion as the right time to Jump In! may already have all 48 classic pads! No question, very tempting for everyone!!
Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator for 8 years
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #131  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I'm not worried about my demo/upline situation. My demo told me that her upline will be contacting me and that she is really great, energetic and enthusiastic about SU, she also has a large group of downlines and does a lot of training and activities with her group, my demo just chooses not to participate. I just wanted to get my application in, so I had my demo sign it. I just want to do this as a hobby anyway. I have two kids, am involved in my church and manage a bakery, this is not a career for me. I just wrote that my demo is sad I guess to lose 4 great customers (me, MIL and friends) from her small customer circle. I will have no problem making my minimums. She just doesn't want to lose customers. I can't wait to meet my upline though. Even though I will be actively looking for more business, I still plan on going to her meetings and activities to really see all that SU has to offer and to stay on top of things.
BTW...mailed my application this morning! I can't wait!!!
Nicki
If your current demo signed your paperwork, she IS your upline. SHE will get ANY overrides you earn her using the info HER UPLINE gives you.... Not that that's bad, but you need to remember that SHE'S your upline, her upline is your up-upline.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #132  
Matboard Maniac

If I sign in to get this great deal, but couldn't reach the $300 minimum, then SU will just drop me. If I wantto re eign in again in the future, do I still NEED to get a starter kit??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #133  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1sttimemommeyView Post
If I sign in to get this great deal, but couldn't reach the $300 minimum, then SU will just drop me. If I wantto re eign in again in the future, do I still NEED to get a starter kit??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
That is correct, but it's not nearly as bad as it seems to have a second starter kit (should you drop and then sign up as a demo again at a later date). You can choose different stamp sets and wheel and different ink pads in the second kit and by the time you get it the catalogs will likely be different as well. You will have some multiples, like stampin scrub, versamark pad and pastels, but you could trade them on SCS for other stuff if you didn't need two. And I find that it's nice to have two of some things anyway for classes and such. There have been many times (like now -- LOL!) that I wish I could sign up for the second time (without dropping first) to get the great value of the starter kit again. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 12:07 PM   #134  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

That is correct, but it's not nearly as bad as it seems to have a second starter kit (should you drop and then sign up as a demo again at a later date). You can choose different stamp sets and wheel and different ink pads in the second kit and by the time you get it the catalogs will likely be different as well. You will have some multiples, like stampin scrub, versamark pad and pastels, but you could trade them on SCS for other stuff if you didn't need two. And I find that it's nice to have two of some things anyway for classes and such. There have been many times (like now -- LOL!) that I wish I could sign up for the second time (without dropping first) to get the great value of the starter kit again. :-)
Thank you for reminding me of that new Catty will be out next year and I can alwasy buy new stamp sets.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #135  
Kookie Creator

Just a note here- I mailed my Start Up paperwork out on Sat (reg mail, not overnight) and recieved emails today (Mon) from SU, confirming everything and giving me a password, access to demo site, etc. I had to call them to correct a mix up on my starter kit order, and they were expecting to still be able to ship the starter kit out tonight or tomorrow morning! I was so impressed with how on top of it all they are!! Awesome, huh!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #136  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDstamperView Post
Just a note here- I mailed my Start Up paperwork out on Sat (reg mail, not overnight) and recieved emails today (Mon) from SU, confirming everything and giving me a password, access to demo site, etc. I had to call them to correct a mix up on my starter kit order, and they were expecting to still be able to ship the starter kit out tonight or tomorrow morning! I was so impressed with how on top of it all they are!! Awesome, huh!!
Too Cool! Welcome to the SU demo family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #137  
Stampin' Fool

I JUST GOT MY DEMO ID NUMBER!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #138  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTiView Post
I JUST GOT MY DEMO ID NUMBER!!!!
Woo Hoo! Congrats and Welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 06:57 AM   #139  
Glitter Guru

Question for all you demos out there. I haven't talked to my demo yet, but I did talk to my DH and he is supportive. I think I have worked it out in my head to sign up toward the end of the special.

So the question is: is there anything that would prohibit me from selling homemade craft items (following the angel policy of course) at a Stampin' Up Open House or items from an unrealated company that my friend started? (Purses) I was thinking if I could combine it all together, I might get more people there and combine it with my first 30% off order to max my profits. Thought I'd offer some make and takes and give a discount on orders at the Open House and do it all at the beginnning of November when people are starting to think Christmas. Am I trying to do to much?

I mostly want to do this as a hobby, but I would love to get a small costumer base to help with my minimums and I'm trying not to compete with my demo's costumer base too much.

TIA for your help and your enabling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 07:01 AM   #140  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem selling craft items at your Open House. You cannot sell it at a hostess event ('cos it would take $$ away from what people spend for the hostess).

Be careful with the timing. You only have 45 days from signup to place that 30% order ... or you lose it. The 45 days starts the day SU! assigns your demo number.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #141  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
No problem selling craft items at your Open House. You cannot sell it at a hostess event ('cos it would take $$ away from what people spend for the hostess).

Be careful with the timing. You only have 45 days from signup to place that 30% order ... or you lose it. The 45 days starts the day SU! assigns your demo number.
Thanks! I knew about the 45 day thing, which is why I was thinking I'd wait till the last week in Sept to sign up. I think by selling craft items, I might be able to get a few people there who don't stamp, but might buy pre made items. And maybe once they are in the door, I can get them stamping too. :twisted:

Now I have to talk to my demo. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 07:15 AM   #142  
Gallery Gazer

Honestly, as long as you do it within the terms of the angel policy and your SU Agreement, the biggest danger of selling handmade items and other merchandise at your open house is dilution. When people are spennding money on pre-made items they're not buying stamps. That's a generalization, of course, but it's something to think about if you're looking for a big order at your first open house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #143  
Crimping Master

Smile

Congratulations to everyone who have decided to take advantage of the Starter Kit Special. You will not regret it and are on your way to having lots of fun! I started out just so I could get the SU discount and now it's turned into a great business and I have made so many new friends. And, just to be able to attend Convention next year for SU's 20th anniversary is reason enough to sign up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #144  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanafView Post
This is the promo that got me too! There are no obligations if you take advantage. If you choose to stay active you need to sell or purchase $300 a quarter. Your first order (made in the first 45 days) of $150 or more you get 30% off instead of 20%. If you don't order for a quarter you get one month to make it up the $100 or they just drop you. No hassle and no paperwork.
I am a little confused here, does that mean if I don't meet the $300 for the quarter, then I only need to buy $100 on the 4th month to keep on being a demo? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #145  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I am a little confused here, does that mean if I don't meet the $300 for the quarter, then I only need to buy $100 on the 4th month to keep on being a demo? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Not quite. If you don't meet the $300 quota by the end of a quarter, you have the next month to purchase the deficit + $100 (the monthly allotment of the next quarter's quota). So if you sell $180 in a quarter, the month after the quarter ends you would have to sell $220 (120 from the last quarter and $100 for the new quarter). HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #146  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks Diana:p
Now, can I order the stamp sets from the mini for my starter kit? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 AM   #147  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I'm not 100% certain on this one, but my understanding is that you can choose any current sets. Based on that, I would think that you can choose sets from the holiday mini in September, after the holiday mini becomes current for customers. But like I said, that's just my gut feeling. Your upline would have to contact SU to find out for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #148  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I'm not 100% certain on this one, but my understanding is that you can choose any current sets. Based on that, I would think that you can choose sets from the holiday mini in September, after the holiday mini becomes current for customers. But like I said, that's just my gut feeling. Your upline would have to contact SU to find out for sure.
Great! Now I just need to PATIENTLY ;) wait for my demo comes back next week and discuss this with her. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #149  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just spoke with Demo Support and she said that you may substitute a set from the starter kit with a set from the current mini as long as the price is the same, or less.

Quote:

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #150  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. LouisView Post
I just spoke with Demo Support and she said that you may substitute a set from the starter kit with a set from the current mini as long as the price is the same, or less.
Wow, how cool is that!!!! THANK YOU for taking your time to do that, really appreciated:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #151  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Wow, how cool is that!!!! THANK YOU for taking your time to do that, really appreciated:-D
Sure thing...I wasn't sure either, so I wanted to know the answer myself. Now we BOTH know. ;)

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #152  
Polyshrink Goddess

Do I have to get the black pad? Can I switch out all the six with the in colours then get the other family free????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #153  
Mad Swapper

New rule is yes, you CAN switch out the black as well! Lucky you! I have 2 black ink pads floating around
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #154  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

For those who are planning to make a business out of their demoships, you should know that a 2nd black inkpad is a good thing to have handy. I think I'm actually up to 4 now!

Of course, it is great fun to have all the colors as well.:twisted:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #155  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
For those who are planning to make a business out of their demoships, you should know that a 2nd black inkpad is a good thing to have handy. I think I'm actually up to 4 now!

Of course, it is great fun to have all the colors as well.:twisted:
What other suggestions do you have for a brand new demo? I was introduced to SU 6 months ago and have purchased several stamp sets and blender pens but not much else. I'm also a scrapbooker so had some ink pads and watercolor pencils. I'm seriously considering signing on and was wondering what color family for cardstock, ink pads, and markers would you suggest? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #156  

I sent my paperwork in today Priority mail! I didnt want to spend the $15 to express mail it, but hoping it gets there a little faster. I am so excited! I wish I could track it so I know exactly when it gets there! lol. :-)

So, I ordered: Holiday Tag Team (p.36),Loads of Love (p.52), Tailgating wheel (p.53), Symbols of Solicitude (p. 59), Illuminations (p.127), and Much Appreciated (p. 140), I got the Earth Elements Color family, all of the In Color color pads except River Rock, and Real Red. I ordered the In Color paper packs and Basic Black. I am very excited. :-) I am going to be beside myself waiting for stuff to arrive. At least I know I will get an email with my demo code before the stuff arrives.

Also already compiling a list of things I want for my first order. :-)

My upline is so awesome, I was at her house today, and she totally wants to help me set up an open house, or my first event whatever I decide. She said "You can borrow anything I have!" :-) Yay. Come on SU! goodies. lol.

Can you tell I am excited??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #157  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie_mkyView Post
What other suggestions do you have for a brand new demo? I was introduced to SU 6 months ago and have purchased several stamp sets and blender pens but not much else. I'm also a scrapbooker so had some ink pads and watercolor pencils. I'm seriously considering signing on and was wondering what color family for cardstock, ink pads, and markers would you suggest? Thanks!
I would say pick a color family that appeals most to you. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I would just make sure the inks match the assorted card stock.

If you're thinking of doing SU as a business, then you might consider getting the assorted packs of the in-colors instead of the other color families, and choosing 5 in-colors + black or, if you already have black, then the 6 in colors as your starter kit ink pads (then whichever family most appeals to you for your free family). The reason I say that is because you will get 6 sheets of each of the in colors in each assorted pack, for a total of 12 sheets of each color. The colors work well together and 12 sheets should be more than enough for your open house make and takes without having to buy more card stock before your open house.

Obviously, the above advice does not apply if you already have lots of Stampin' Up! card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #158  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipperc98View Post
I sent my paperwork in today Priority mail! I didnt want to spend the $15 to express mail it, but hoping it gets there a little faster. I am so excited! I wish I could track it so I know exactly when it gets there! lol. :-)

So, I ordered: Holiday Tag Team (p.36),Loads of Love (p.52), Tailgating wheel (p.53), Symbols of Solicitude (p. 59), Illuminations (p.127), and Much Appreciated (p. 140), I got the Earth Elements Color family, all of the In Color color pads except River Rock, and Real Red. I ordered the In Color paper packs and Basic Black. I am very excited. :-) I am going to be beside myself waiting for stuff to arrive. At least I know I will get an email with my demo code before the stuff arrives.

Also already compiling a list of things I want for my first order. :-)

My upline is so awesome, I was at her house today, and she totally wants to help me set up an open house, or my first event whatever I decide. She said "You can borrow anything I have!" :-) Yay. Come on SU! goodies. lol.

Can you tell I am excited??
Congratulations! Hope your new goodies get there soon! Welcome to the family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #159  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auntie_mkyView Post

I too am relatively new to SU (8 months ago), and I have sort of went crazy with this stuff! One of the first things I did was stock up on all the colors of the markers. Those are so versatile, I love them. I can put multiple colors on stamps. I also got several of the neutral stamp pads. Now I am collecting the color families, starting with my favorites first. So, my favorite is the Rich Regals. So, I got the color family, and then I bought a bunch of the paper. I would also like to get some of the accesories, ribbon and brads (I love the rhinestone brads!). The new catalog is cool too because they have several themed stamp sets. I love the Baroque style sets, so I have nearly all of those now. I suppose you build up your collection based on themes. Thats what I am doing. It makes cards (and whatever else you are making) really stand out.

I am a newbie, so some of the others having done this for a long time may have lots of good suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #160  
Stampin' Fool

I went with Rich Regals. Why? I don't know. I think after looking at the stamp sets I ordered with the starter kit...those colors seemed to go well. Plus I have lots of stuff in bold brights and soft subtles.

Then for my free stamp pads I went with earth elements, because I own NOTHING in that color family, and I thought what a great way to get my feet wet!

I really want the in colors, but do I want to spend that money on something that will just retire? That's the question that's bugging me. They are GORGEOUS colors though.
Reply With Quote Likes