Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:24 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SU Demo Promotion

Hi
I am thinking about becoming a demo and noticed that there is a $99 promo on mini starter kits. What is the benefit of this promotion? Is it just that you can get a mini kit instead of a standard kit if you want? Can you still get the standard kit if you want to?

Also, what does the digital studio software do? Why would you want to use it?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good deal for people who already have a lot of SU! supplies or former demonstrators who would want to rejoin, but not buy the entire kit again.

Yes, you can still sign up with the standard kit, which right now is $199. With the new catalog, though, the price of the standard kit is dropping to $175. So if you would rather have the full kit, I would wait for July.

My Digital Studio is software for digital scrapbooking and papercrafting. You can make cards, scrapbook pages, gift packaging, and gift items using it. I've attached some pics of things I have done with it. You can either print the pages yourself, send them to a photo processor, or send them to SU's printing service. You can keep the project all digital or do hybrid (some digital printing with added embellishments.) The program comes with a lot of stamp sets, embellishments, punches, and papers, but you can keep adding to them because they come out with new downloads all the time. You can also use other digital kits bought from other vendors in the program.

For people who've never done digital scrapbook or other projects, it's great software for beginners and even for people who are more experienced. I've done digital scrapbooking with Photoshop Elements as well, and most of the time, MDS is better because it's more intuitive. Though there are some effects you can't do with it that you can with PE.
Attached Thumbnails
New SU Demo Promotion-gameon.jpg   New SU Demo Promotion-mdsbox.jpg   New SU Demo Promotion-mdscard.jpg  

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 03:32 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

The mini kit is benifitial to those who have a lot of the other stuff. Some people already have the pastels, stampin' scrub and things like that. The mini kit has sneek peek items from the new catalog in it, so there is a slimmer chance you have the inks or stamps.

YES, you can still get the standard starter kit. The only problem with it during June is you can't get the sneek peek items or new colors with it yet. You have to wait till July 1st for those. It is more a choice of what you want out of the kit. You can order the standard kit now, making all the substitutions possible (still plenty of items sticking around) and then be eligible for the sneek peek preordering. Your demonstrator number goes live right away, so you can start placing orders within minutes and get all the sneek peek items. Since you get an extra 10% off your first order over $150 if made within 45 days of signing up, you can have a nice savings on that sneek peek order.

My Digital Studio (MDS) does a TON. I love it. Many times I will use it just to design cards before cutting into my cardstock. I also use it to print out the one sheet of Designer Paper I need. I have also used several of the stamp images in there which I don't own in actual stamps.
With the premade scrapbook pages in it, I have gotten caught up on some of my photos.
I find the program user friendly and simple to make projects quickly. I can always go back and change the projects later if I want to add something, change a color of cardstock or made a mistake. TOTALLY WORTH THE $$.

I hope that answers your questions. Don't be afraid to ask more.
My Stamping Blog
My SU! Demo Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Rachel, the mini kits are great for people who already have a good supply of SU products (including some of the regular starter kit items like the stampin scrub) and/or mainly need the business tools (forms, catties etc.) to become a demo.

You could get the regular starter kit now, if you prefer. Some people might rather wait until July on that; certain items (inkpads, stamp sets) can be substituted, so they'd be able to substitute from the new catty.

The most common use of MDS is digital scrapbooking, but it can do a whole lot more than that--I've used it as a design tool (saving a good bit of cardstock, I'm sure), and here are some other creative ideas for using the software.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

This flyer just came out on the demo site. Check it out to see everything included. Recruits buying this kit get the new Color Coach and other sneak peek items from the new catty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelS1View Post
Hi
I am thinking about becoming a demo and noticed that there is a $99 promo on mini starter kits. What is the benefit of this promotion? Is it just that you can get a mini kit instead of a standard kit if you want? Can you still get the standard kit if you want to?

Also, what does the digital studio software do? Why would you want to use it?

Thanks!
The benefit of the $99 promotion is that it gets a customer in the door for less if that's key to her signing up and it allows someone to start with less if they already have a lot of product.

You can get one of three kits now in June: Mini, Standard and Digital.

Digital is HOT right now as it allows those who do not want to do the traditional scrapbooking or card making an avenue to do so electronically. The scrapbook or card is made on the computer. Yes, crafters also create "hybrid" projects where the computer generated and printed project has actual ribbon or buttons or whatever on it. It's just one more way for someone to express their creativity and it's popular with computer savvy people especially.

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking about signing up because I love SU products and making cards. I currently make and sell cards to raise money for the non-profit I'm starting, so why not get the discount, right? It seems like a great time to jump in but I'm terrified!

I know from reading that we can substitute colors and stamp sets if we need to. I have a few stamps sets already that will be current in the new catalog and one from the summer mini. I am wondering if I should substitute something for the Watercolor Trio because the mini is probably going to be going out of date before I can get enough customers to actually do a workshop/class. I love that set, but not if I can only use it for 3 months.

Also, the hearts set is not something I would really enjoy using. Does anyone have any suggestions of a substitute set? I was thinking Upsy Daisy as that seems more my style. From looking at the gallery, it appears to be very popular and easy to come up with ideas for.

I would appreciate any advice! I am meeting with my current demo to go over all the information next week, but I want to be prepared ahead of time so I can sign up while I'm there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

I would recommend that you get substitute sets that cost as much as the starter kit sets offered, so that you can maximize your $. Think about what occasions you will make cards for, and make sure the sets you choose will work for those. Also, I would recommend that the sets you choose have some words included so that you could make a complete card with just that set. Upsy Daisy is a great set that is easy to make beautiful cards with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyann22View Post
I am thinking about signing up because I love SU products and making cards. I currently make and sell cards to raise money for the non-profit I'm starting, so why not get the discount, right? It seems like a great time to jump in but I'm terrified!

I know from reading that we can substitute colors and stamp sets if we need to. I have a few stamps sets already that will be current in the new catalog and one from the summer mini. I am wondering if I should substitute something for the Watercolor Trio because the mini is probably going to be going out of date before I can get enough customers to actually do a workshop/class. I love that set, but not if I can only use it for 3 months.

Also, the hearts set is not something I would really enjoy using. Does anyone have any suggestions of a substitute set? I was thinking Upsy Daisy as that seems more my style. From looking at the gallery, it appears to be very popular and easy to come up with ideas for.

I would appreciate any advice! I am meeting with my current demo to go over all the information next week, but I want to be prepared ahead of time so I can sign up while I'm there!
You are wise to get ready before you sit down your future upline! Great questions. The word I'd throw out there to guide you is "demonstratable". Is the set you want broad enough to appeal to many tastes and occasions? At convention 2008 I attended a seminar where the presenter compared Flower Fancy to a set such as Under the Stars. The first is clearly "demonstratable" as you can make a zillion cards for any number of occasions. Under the Stars is more limiting and great for a customer who likes that style and the outdoors but much more limiting in what you'd use it for. So, if you are swapping with the mindset to choose something that you can sell then use "demonstratable" as your guide as you peruse the catalog.

I totally see your point about choosing a set for the "long haul" and not out of the Summer Mini. Watercolor Trio is gorgeous but if you do not think you can sell enough by Aug 31 to justify choosing it then give yourself a better chance with a set available till June 2011. If you buy Watercolor Trio "off the shelf" so to speak (and it was not in your kit) it would be $22.95 + tax and shipping minus our 20% discount. For me, my out of pocket on that would be $22.46. To pay for that set, I'd have to sell 5 of them ($4.59 income on each set x 5 = $23). If you think you can sell 5 then by all means choose it as it being short-term is a plus if you have time to pitch it then you do the same with the upcoming Holiday mini (choose a set you love out of it and market it a lot). If you can find another set available till June 2011 that you think you can sell a lot more of then choose that.

You can't go wrong either way. A set that expires in August builds in a deadline that might inspire sales. A set that is available till June will wear on your customers if you keep using it unless you continue to get new customers to share it with.

Good luck!

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks you ladies for the quick replies and great advice. I am having trouble finding something at the 22.95 price point, but I'll keep looking. I'm starting out with almost no contacts, so I definitely need something that will last for a year rather than just the 3 months. I have a set I can demonstrate out of the mini if I do manage to get a class together before it expires.

I think I will for sure swap out I {heart} Hearts for Upsy Daisy. Now back to the catalog to look for the other set!
Reply With Quote Likes