Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #481  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkessler73View Post
I was more than a little disturbed about that too! I guess that is why it is not an IB&C....just catalog. They should lower the price....I won't be keeping this one for years like my others.
There isn't a price on my copy, but that could be just here in Canada. Every demo chooses how to distribute the catalogue, but the price should be lower, unless it's being shipped to you.
I think.
But don't get me into trouble with your demo. ;)

You are right though ... it's the reason for the change from "Idea Book & Catalogue" to "Catalogue".

It's more similar in style to the SAB brochure. Lots of white space, close-ups.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #482  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new look of the catalog and samples is the new marketing strategy. It's not going to please everyone but no catalog ever will...personally I LOVE it so much! I don't think the closeups are too close and I can see enough of each project to case what I want. But, I know it's not for everyone and they have to try new things. I'd hate it if SU were the same as it was almost 25 years ago....hopefully the catalog will grow on you:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #483  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
Oh yeah - not a good time of year for pictures. I am ashamed to say I have two unopened SU boxes in the floor and one on the way. I just moved from a house to an apt. I almost had my craftroom exactly the way I wanted it in a nice big spacious room. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get it all in this little room.

Maybe next month we can take pictures!
We made the move from 3 floors of house to 1 level of apartment too. ;) I don't know how I crammed it all in here, but I did! Unopened SU! boxes feel like a ticking time bomb to me! I don't know how you stand it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #484  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm moving to a larger apartment soon (from 800 sq ft to 1200!) so if anyone has SU boxes in need of storage, I'll gladly be a temporary home for them. :p ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #485  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a little crafting room of my own, nothing fancy, but I think I would need to put an addition on it if I was able to buy all the things I like in the new catalog! Every time I look in the gallery and see the way someone was able to design something with the new colors and products, my list gets longer! So many things didn't really catch my eye until they were in the talented hands of the splitcoasters!!! Maybe it would be easier and shorter for me to make a list of the things from the catalog that I DON'T want
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #486  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but I love the way we have closeups now of the individual focal points of projects. To me, when they showed the entire card, everything was too far away to really catch the details. And the colors--holy COW do they pop when focused on like this. The whole catalog is so vibrant, to me it looks more like an inspiration idea book than ever before!

But the best part for me is the color combos throughout the book. What a great idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #487  

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
I'm moving to a larger apartment soon (from 800 sq ft to 1200!) so if anyone has SU boxes in need of storage, I'll gladly be a temporary home for them. :p ;)
: ) Your apartment will still be larger than my house. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #488  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
Maybe it's just me, but I love the way we have closeups now of the individual focal points of projects. To me, when they showed the entire card, everything was too far away to really catch the details. And the colors--holy COW do they pop when focused on like this. The whole catalog is so vibrant, to me it looks more like an inspiration idea book than ever before!

But the best part for me is the color combos throughout the book. What a great idea.

I totally agree with you this. I "Love" they way they focus in on one thing.
I guess I don't need ever detail there is. I look and create.

In the last couple of years. They have done a nice job with the Catalog...But this year. It Awesome!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #489  

I really love the color combos as well....and speaking of I need to get down to making things with them!!!!!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #490  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I really love the color combos as well....and speaking of I need to get down to making things with them!!!!!
I am SO blind.
I didn't see the colour combos ... and had no clue what everyone was talking about. I looked at the stamps, but not a lot at the photos. (yeah, I know, I'm weird ;))
I just found them! Very cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #491  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I also really like the new catalog. I enjoy the details. I can get the rest of it, or make it my own.
I also love the way they a focusing on the color combos, now they have always been there IMO, just not so graphically displayed.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #492  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
I am SO blind.
I didn't see the colour combos ... and had no clue what everyone was talking about. I looked at the stamps, but not a lot at the photos. (yeah, I know, I'm weird ;))
ACK! Me, too! They're great!

As for the complaints about the samples in the catalog, I would encourage you to find samples galore here on SCS. The easiest way to find samples for a particular stamp set is to click on "gallery" at the top of the page, then "Stampin' Up! Galleries," then scroll down to the alphabetical listing of stamp sets at the bottom of the page. Click on the portion of the alphabet for the stamp set you're looking for, and then find it in the listing.

I've been doing that for several new stamp sets I'm thinking about, and the beautiful samples always push me over the edge into ordering.

Before you say it, yes it does seem to me that it's SU's responsibility to give us samples in the catalog that accomplish this, so give SU a demerit for this failing if you wish. But don't penalize yourself because of it. Find samples where you can, and get inspired!
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #493  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

The thing I don't understand about the color combos...they don't write in the names of the color combos. I personally have a difficult time matching the colors in the catalog to my actual cardstock. LM :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
I am SO blind.

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #494  

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampsView Post
The thing I don't understand about the color combos...they don't write in the names of the color combos. I personally have a difficult time matching the colors in the catalog to my actual cardstock. LM :-)
It should be pretty easy to figure out if you're unsure...just check the stampin' supplies....the samples use the same colors as the combos so that should do it!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #495  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

We made the move from 3 floors of house to 1 level of apartment too. ;) I don't know how I crammed it all in here, but I did! Unopened SU! boxes feel like a ticking time bomb to me! I don't know how you stand it?
I really couldn't stand it, except that I had a ten page report due for work by 5:00 today; and these two boxes were from the retired list (so I have already seen the stuff I ordered, just ordered more of what I liked).

Now, these other boxes I couldn't wait because they had new stuff in them. And am I pathetic because I love all this brown packing paper? I like to iron it and use it for a variety of things.

Gotta go hide these before my husband gets home, lol.
P.S. This looks like wayyyy more than it really is. I could have fit it all into the three bottom boxes. I guess boxes are cheaper than shipping??
Attached Thumbnails
New SU catalog-dsc00855.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #496  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I'd looked at the catalog online, but I got my actual copy yesterday. I haven't had a wish list this big from SU for at least 5 years.

My demo also gave me samples of cardstock in the in colors. I have to say, I don't absolutely love any of them, but I also don't hate any of them either. They're all just good. I thought I would not like the Summer Starfruit at all, but I do like it. It looks much better in person than online or the catalog.

Sadly, I won't be able to place an order until September or so because we're remodeling our kitchen. But that will probably give me even more time to watch the gallery and fall in love with more things I "need" to buy.:rolleyes:
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #497  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I thought the photography in this catalog was certainly a fresh perspective - a nice change from the previous catalogs. Personally, I don't need to see the corners of a card to understand what's on it and be inspired to create something similar. I like the close up detail to see how a piece of it was layered and constructed instead of a picture taken from 3 feet away where a lot of that goes unnoticed or is too small to see clearly.

The less expensive price is nice too - it's not like it's the ONLY source for samples with SU products - I would say most folks are surfing the web and galleries for inspiration beyond what's in that catalog anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #498  

And really the point of SU is to have a demo for ideas, kwim? With SCS and blogs I have way more inspiration that I can ever really use:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #499  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 650 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampsView Post
I totally agree with you. It just would be so much easier to tell us what the colors are in the color combos. For example one combo looks very much like they were using blushing bride, but since that is not available any longer, it would not be in the current catty.

I had not noticed the color combos before when looking through the catty, but after someone posted i went through last night and noticed them. There is only so much one can take in during the first few look throughs, lol.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #500  

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
I really couldn't stand it, except that I had a ten page report due for work by 5:00 today; and these two boxes were from the retired list (so I have already seen the stuff I ordered, just ordered more of what I liked).

Now, these other boxes I couldn't wait because they had new stuff in them. And am I pathetic because I love all this brown packing paper? I like to iron it and use it for a variety of things.

Gotta go hide these before my husband gets home, lol.
P.S. This looks like wayyyy more than it really is. I could have fit it all into the three bottom boxes. I guess boxes are cheaper than shipping??
Holy Cannoli, Batman!! You got more than I did!! :cool: And that's sayin' something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #501  
Stampin' Fool

My take on the new catty.......I really like the close up pictures of the projects.......to a certain extent. I don't like the fact that you have to go online to find the supply list for the projects. Yes it saves printing costs, but if you don't have access to a computer, you're SOL.

Pg. 109....place setting project. The list calls for toothpicks, but no where in the picture can you see what they're for.

Pg. 111....So you have to guess on how to create the mother's day gift box?

While most people can use just a tidbit to get inspired and create, some need actual directions. Thankfully I'm not one, but I know some who do need step by step directions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #502  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxy64View Post
My take on the new catty.......I really like the close up pictures of the projects.......to a certain extent. I don't like the fact that you have to go online to find the supply list for the projects. Yes it saves printing costs, but if you don't have access to a computer, you're SOL.

Pg. 109....place setting project. The list calls for toothpicks, but no where in the picture can you see what they're for.

Pg. 111....So you have to guess on how to create the mother's day gift box?

While most people can use just a tidbit to get inspired and create, some need actual directions. Thankfully I'm not one, but I know some who do need step by step directions.
well if you dont' get online, your demo should be able to provide you with supplies list info - they haven't had it in the actual catalog for several years now, so that's not new.

Pg109 - that is weird, I don't see them either.

Pg111 -I would bet they use the Kraft Gift Box on page 161 (checked supply list and they do)

and I don't recall there ever being actual step by step instructions in the catalog before..... I think that's what your demo is for.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #503  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by leibettyView Post
and I don't recall there ever being actual step by step instructions in the catalog before..... I think that's what your demo is for.
It's been years since there was a supply list in the printed catalog. They took that out a while back and made it a separate document.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #504  
Die Cut Diva

I actually think I have some kind of attention deficit because I can't seem to stop thinking about my order to be delivered on Monday and I keep checking the tracking somehow thinking it will have changed from the last time I checked it? Or would that be psychosis?;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #505  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

I actually think I have some kind of attention deficit because I can't seem to stop thinking about my order to be delivered on Monday and I keep checking the tracking somehow thinking it will have changed from the last time I checked it? Or would that be psychosis?;)
I think that would come under OBSESSION. Hee hee...not that I would know ANYTHING about that!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #506  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

sounds normal to me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #507  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Joan...

Joan...I love the quote in your signature line. So very, very true. :-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
sounds normal to me!!

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #508  
Inking Addict

Well I finally got my hands on a catalog this week. Let's just say my wish list is huge and leave it at that. I noticed that some of the background stamps are now available in clear mount. Hello Doily and Sweet Floral on my wish list and I am debating whether or not to get them in clear mount. Loving the clear mount for everything else, but I wonder if they will be easier to manage on wood block since sometimes the clear mount comes off in the middle of stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #509  
Stazon Splitcoast

"Pg. 109....place setting project. The list calls for toothpicks, but no where in the picture can you see what they're for."

I wonder if they've got the descriptions mixed up. If you look at the Make a Wish card on the same page, there are toothpicks behind the yellow layer holding "flags."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #510  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smile160View Post
Well I finally got my hands on a catalog this week. Let's just say my wish list is huge and leave it at that. I noticed that some of the background stamps are now available in clear mount. Hello Doily and Sweet Floral on my wish list and I am debating whether or not to get them in clear mount. Loving the clear mount for everything else, but I wonder if they will be easier to manage on wood block since sometimes the clear mount comes off in the middle of stamping.
I had the same question. I often buy clear mount because they are a bit cheaper, but I don't own a clear block large enough for the background stamp, so it would actually be more money to get the block and the clear stamp, unless of course, I plan to buy a bunch of stamps in that size! Not sure which way I'll go with it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #511  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Still debating my list and waiting for a payday so I can submit an order. Any good news on the paper cutter? Or on the hostess set Keep Calm?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #512  

No news really on either. Someone said the trimmer should be soon and I'm sure they can't really talk about carry on since it seems to be a legal issue.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #513  

Quote:

Originally Posted by nillysilly_ol'bearView Post
just my opinion about the catalog - love the stamps and new items. in colors are okay, but then I don't have them in my hands yet. that always turns me from an 'okay' person to a 'holy moley, this is fantastic!' person every year. ;)

I am not really a fan of the new sample photos. the close-ups are nice, yes, but it doesn't do me any good to see just a snippet of whatever the project might be. this turns this into just a plain ol' catty, rather than an idea book for me. let me emphasize - for me.

yes, I get ideas from sooooooooo many places, but if SU! is going to call something an idea book, then be sure to give full size samples that everyone can properly see. there are some, but not like there used to be. and I do like the color combos and the way it's set up. very creative.

just my 2 pennies.....
It is NO LONGER an idea book and catalog. Just termed a catalog now:-) They have reduced the pages thus reducing the price somewhat to us so we can get them into more hands like a catalog should be....

And I was not thrilled with the new in colors at first BUT the more I'm using them, the more I LOVE them...and I can't seem to use any other colors, lol! :-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #514  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabestampin'View Post
I felt the same way and found a recipe here, the member that posted it said it was the same recipe that Stampin' Up! uses and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper!

2 Cups distilled water
2 Tbsp Rose water
1 Tbsp baby wash

You want to make sure you use distilled water as other water has hard minerals and deposits that could damage your stamps. I use this with SU!'s scrub. I bought the ingredients for this a few years ago and still have tons, and that's after I made some for about 15 friends!
Will this clean versamark as well? I like the idea of making my own, but not sure how to go about cleaning my stamps if I am doing embossing.

Thanks for posting your recipe. Be well

Miriam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #515  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

We have Stamp Club on Thursday so I will have to decided what I want out of the new catalog by then!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #516  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapmomoftwinsView Post
I had the same question. I often buy clear mount because they are a bit cheaper, but I don't own a clear block large enough for the background stamp, so it would actually be more money to get the block and the clear stamp, unless of course, I plan to buy a bunch of stamps in that size! Not sure which way I'll go with it yet.
I don't ever use my block with my large background clear mount stamp. I just ink it up stamp side up on my desk and put my paper on top, add a piece of scrap paper and gently rub. Voila, stamped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #517  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
"Pg. 109....place setting project. The list calls for toothpicks, but no where in the picture can you see what they're for."

I wonder if they've got the descriptions mixed up. If you look at the Make a Wish card on the same page, there are toothpicks behind the yellow layer holding "flags."
That's what I thought too...the card with the pennant flags has 3 toothpicks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #518  
Die Cut Diva

YES! My order is OUT FOR DELIVERY in my town! OMGosh, I'm busting at the seams and I briefly imagined grabbing and kissing Mr. Brown...no keep calm and eat a cupcake!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #519  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by brasilmomView Post
Will this clean versamark as well? I like the idea of making my own, but not sure how to go about cleaning my stamps if I am doing embossing.

Thanks for posting your recipe. Be well

Miriam
This works good on versamark. It's the only cleaner I've used for years....I use it for everything, even stazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #520  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I was a "Debbie Downer" when I first saw the catalog, but now that I've had more time with it, it's growing on me.

First, I liked the new in-colors right off the bat. I finally saw them in person and now I absolutely love them!

Second, I've finally used the new ink pads and they are a huge improvement. The only drawback is that the ink takes a tiny bit longer to dry so I need to be careful not to smudge anything. But I can finally get a good, clean impression of solid images without having to use a versamark pad first. I'm even considering replacing my collection with the new pads, which at first I was totally against because I have almost all of them.

The current trend in stamps is not really my style. But I did find several sets in the new catalog that I love, when at first I didn't see any that I liked.

So, after saying I found nothing in the new catalog that interested me, I changed my mind completely and even signed up as a demo (strictly hobby). Who knew?

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes