Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Ribbon Holders in Holiday Mini

I love the idea of this item..and truly got my hopes up! But in looking at the photos more closely in the mini, I thought they looked like they weren't made very well. The photo makes it look like they are made from that cheesy plastic material and not all that sturdy to support the weight if full or how they'd stack 3 high. I just picture them buckling over time. I'm wondering if anyone saw these in person at convention. Were others disappointed in the quality as I was? It's probably too soon to see if anyone ordered/liked them. Guess I thought I would put it out there and see what others thought of them. Curious to see what y'all think. ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting, they do look like they're made from some sort of plastic material I'm curious also. My sisters a demo and I think she's going to pre-order them, I'll have her check it out and get back to me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

They are made from the same type of plastic that the photo storage & paper holders are made of.

I have several of the photo storage boxes that SU! sells...they are pretty full of pictures and they are stacked on top of each other, and I have not had any problems with them holding up.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, they are plastic, but I don't think that's a problem. If anything, the weight of being full of ribbon would probably help rather than hurt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2006, 01:15 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I think that they are probably way better than they look. One thing I know about Stampin UP is that they always make sure they get us quality products. I dont think I have ever seen a poorly made or low quality product from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2006, 01:57 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, but I disagree with the "SU! always = top quality" mentality. I've been disapointed on occiasion. Not enough to stop buying SU! products altogether, but enough to be thoughtful and cautious. Loretta, I got the same impression, they look pretty flimsy and wonder about stackability over time. I got excited when in the main catty, it looked like they had a "thread guide" for the ribbon end, but it doesn't look like that's a feature either. For now, I'll stick with my wire pantry rack from Lowes. There's a lots of "dead space" between the rows and no ribbon thread, but it's sturdy, I can see my ribbon at a glance, and grabbing a spool from any place in the row is easy to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2006, 04:05 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

They are made the same as our Forget Me Not keeper, which is very sturdy. Once at a workshop I looked down and saw that a toddler was standing on my box to reach something! It held him with no problem.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I want one, but they look a little flimsy to me also. I'm thinking of making my own out of light weight wood, but so far I can't figure out quite how to do it. SU's looks like the sides snap off to add more ribbon, I just don't know how I would do that with wood. But I do agree with lovetostamp569. If SU makes it, it can't be that bad. I think their products are great. I'm not sure what to do yet. =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 05:41 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Emily, if you're thinking of building one, I saw a very cool one that looked like a narrow book rack, except the "shelves" were tipped to make a shallow V shape made of two pieces of wood. The ribbon nested in the V. Very attractive, very functional. We have an awesome LSS with someone local who builds craft room storage and sells it there. The best part is the prices are very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 05:50 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Well I got a peak of the CTMH fall catalog from my demo and it shows a really cool portable ribbon storage for $19.95. Basically it is like their holder for the acrylic blocks but for ribbon instead. And it is portable, so if you are like me, and go to alot of crops, it is simply the best answer for ribbon storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 05:55 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55
Hey Emily, if you're thinking of building one, I saw a very cool one that looked like a narrow book rack, except the "shelves" were tipped to make a shallow V shape made of two pieces of wood. The ribbon nested in the V. Very attractive, very functional. We have an awesome LSS with someone local who builds craft room storage and sells it there. The best part is the prices are very reasonable.
Please forgive my ignorance but what does LSS stand for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 05:57 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Sorry, but I disagree with the "SU! always = top quality" mentality. I've been disapointed on occiasion. Not enough to stop buying SU! products altogether, but enough to be thoughtful and cautious. Loretta, I got the same impression, they look pretty flimsy and wonder about stackability over time. I got excited when in the main catty, it looked like they had a "thread guide" for the ribbon end, but it doesn't look like that's a feature either. For now, I'll stick with my wire pantry rack from Lowes. There's a lots of "dead space" between the rows and no ribbon thread, but it's sturdy, I can see my ribbon at a glance, and grabbing a spool from any place in the row is easy to do.
Ditto. Thinking of those turntable ink pad holders. Arghhh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 06:04 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04
Please forgive my ignorance but what does LSS stand for?
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it stands for Local Scrapbook Store.

Kelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 06:09 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

THanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 06:14 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Wish we had a Lowes nearby..your idea sounds like a good one also. I bought a wooden rack from *bay and that has been a great ribbon holder..but I've filled that up. Gotta love the $1 spools at Michaels!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 06:17 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year, it seemed like everyone here was going wild over the Target ribbon boxes that snapped together and had slots for the ribbon to pull through. I caved and bought some. . . and then gave them away. Everything rolled around in there, and I have a lot of ribbon!

I will order the SU! ribbon holders - they are sized to fit the spools in the catalog, and are (as mentioned above) made of the same stuff the Forget Me Not Keeper. That's very sturdy, and doesn't bow like the Target ones did. I'm happy to get my SU! ribbon all in one place, and free up the racks I use for MORE ribbon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 08:32 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Great idea!! Thank you. :mrgreen: You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would you?

I have one that I built a long time ago, but it's kinda big, and I have wooden rods that the ribbon slides onto, but I get sick of having to take of a bunch of ribbon spools to get off the one I want. It works fine if I don't take the ribbon of the rack, but if I go somewhere to stamp I want to bring my ribbon so I need something smaller and lighter weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 04:36 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Kansas--but I am a true Wisconsinite (Married a Kansan!)
Default Will SU!'s Ribbon Holders Mount on the Wall?

Does anyone know if SU!'s ribbon holders will mount on the wall?--Jeannie
Quote:

Originally Posted by basurok
I love the idea of this item..and truly got my hopes up! But in looking at the photos more closely in the mini, I thought they looked like they weren't made very well. The photo makes it look like they are made from that cheesy plastic material and not all that sturdy to support the weight if full or how they'd stack 3 high. I just picture them buckling over time. I'm wondering if anyone saw these in person at convention. Were others disappointed in the quality as I was? It's probably too soon to see if anyone ordered/liked them. Guess I thought I would put it out there and see what others thought of them. Curious to see what y'all think. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 05:16 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry, Em, no pic and I haven't learned how to use the scanner function on my printer yet (old dog...new tricks, know wha I mean?!). I'll try to see if there's a web link that will help. And yep, LSS = Local Stamp Store (or Scrapbook if you like). Give me a day or so (old dog, new.... )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 05:23 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

On the wire pantry rack, I'm not sure that Lowes is the only place that carries them. They're deep enough to hold a can of soup or jar of spagetti sauce. You have to mount them onto something, they're not free standing. If yu're really interested, I've seen pics of them being used as ribbon racks here on SCS and calling around might be worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 07:56 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I think they will work well since the large one is big enough to hold grosgrain & most are not. I am thinking of just using tape to tape one piece of ribbon across the top to sort of hold the ends in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Demonstrators... any ideas on what to do with that 2nd set of ribbon keepers you'll have when you only want one of each size? I'm having a stamp camp in Sept and am pondering using it somehow for that day but yet want to get my money's worth out of it.... any tips or ideas would be great!
Thanks
Teresa Coleman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teresa68
Demonstrators... any ideas on what to do with that 2nd set of ribbon keepers you'll have when you only want one of each size? I'm having a stamp camp in Sept and am pondering using it somehow for that day but yet want to get my money's worth out of it.... any tips or ideas would be great!
Thanks
Teresa Coleman
Well, some people are saying they will split the quantity, so they will each get one.

The small ones will hold the stack 'n store containers as well as the spools of cord...I've got more containers than I have the units to hold them, so that will work for me. I should be able to fill up both of the units in the other sizes with the ribbon I have...I have..um...a lot...:oops: :mrgreen:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Me and hubby just built one yesterday. It came out really good. I made it out of oak, and the style is the same as SU, but in the back of it(behind the spools) I added another piece of wood at an angle, so that the rolls stay at the front and doesn't move around too much. Thanks for the idea jeaniebean55. I got the idea for the piece of wood in the back from what you were talking about, so it kinda makes a V in the back, but the front is flat. I love it. I'll try to post pictures soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I got mine yesterday (all 3 sizes) they are stacked and full and they appear to be pretty darn sturdy. The stack is portable which is excellent for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teresa68
Thanks
Teresa Coleman
Can't help......both of my sets are full
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
Can't help......both of my sets are full
Don't have mine in yet, but I have a feeling that both of my sets of all sizes will be full also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Jeanne...you said the stack is portable...do they lock together? If so, do they lock side by side, top to bottom, or both?
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

I put mine together yesterday and they are awesome!! They are very sturdy and mine are also all full!! I need to order more on Sept. 1st because I didn't have room for my wide organdy ribbon. I love having them all in front of me and being able to just pull and cut without a mess. I would highly recommend these!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps
I put mine together yesterday and they are awesome!! They are very sturdy and mine are also all full!! I need to order more on Sept. 1st because I didn't have room for my wide organdy ribbon. I love having them all in front of me and being able to just pull and cut without a mess. I would highly recommend these!!

Robyn
Thanks for the update on these. I will order some also. tired of rooting through my shoe box!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Kansas--but I am a true Wisconsinite (Married a Kansan!)
Default Can you mount them on the wall?

Could a person mount them on the wall if they wanted to?--Jeannie
Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps

Robyn
Reply With Quote Likes