Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no reason not to mix the colors from different companies...if they look good and it works for you....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahbe492View Post
So that's going to take two bazillion years to have that many because they only release one color every other month!
Ha, regardless....even the "old" SU colors were too many for me! LOL. I freak out so to say with too many options. One reason SU only has worked well for me:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #43  

Quote:

I'm not saying anything bad about PTI - I just want to make that clear from the get-go because otherwise someone will say it's because I'm an SU! demo that I'm saying this...

You're comparing apples to oranges. PTI is not a direct sales company, nor are they catalog based. The reality is that SU! only has room for so many stamps, accessories, etc. The stamps aren't related to color but the pages that are taken up by color items are - if they'd have added to instead of replacing colors we'd have to go to more pages (think of the fact that probably items like buttons, brads, ribbons and everything related to color would've taken up more room as well). I understand your frustration but comparing PTI and SU! just doesn't really work as their business models are entirely different except for the product that they sell.
Oh, I hadn't thought of this. That's a really good point! It really isn't apples to apples! I'm surprised at the amount of stuff SU does manage to fit between the covers of the catty!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #44  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstfrommiView Post

They should have put up an SCS Poll and let us decide!
In fact, they sort-of did -- One of the factors they used in deciding what to keep and what to drop was sales figures. Even though it may feel to you as though you buy enough of a particular color to justify its continued sale, I guarantee SU isn't deliberately cutting its own profits by cutting successful product. I know, for example, that I am going to miss all the light purply colors, and I wish that we were keeping at least one of them, but it's possible that people were spreading their light purple needs across Almost Amethyst, Lavendar Lace (my personal fave), Lovely Lilac, Orchid Opulence, and Pale Plum (my other personal fave), and so no single one of those had excellent sales figures. The same could be true of the greens, or the blues, or any other group people are mourning.

I do think some of the choices are strange. I've never, for instance, heard anyone say that they really adore Bravo Burgundy or Always Artichoke, and while I love Pink Pirouette, I'm not positive we need both it and Pretty in Pink, but not Pixie Pink or Pink Passion. But I'm willing to give the new collections a shot and enjoy finding new favorite combinations. (I'm definnitely loving Cherry Cobbler and Daffodil Delight . . . )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #45  
Hardware Hotshot

I actually like Bravo Burgundy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Am I the only one thrilled that they've made neutrals a proper family (collection)? In my opinion, it's about time. The changes are a lot at once, but the alternative of reorganizing the collection every few years would be more disruptive for customers.

As a previous poster said, the current colours have A LOT that are so stinking close. Besides, some of the new are quite close to the retirees. Can't wait to get my inky paws on the daffodil and cherry cobbler.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

I am not a demo, but I love the new colors, so I won't be missing the old ones. I won't buy new ink pads. What I usually do is buy reinkers and use them on the pads that match the closest - for instance, I'll just buy Tangerine Tango and add it to my Only Orange pad. Then I'll label the pads. It doesn't make that big a difference to me and I won't have all those extra pads sitting around and the fresh ink will revive the old pads!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #48  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I actually like Bravo Burgundy!
OK, thanks. Now I HAVE heard someone say she likes Bravo Burgundy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #49  

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollybearView Post
I don't really care about the differences between SU and PTI's business model. I care that I can get what I want and PTI not only gives it to me, but has not, in their five years so far, retired anything and have no plans to retire anything. That works for me! Besides, I find their colors so much more cutting edge.
She was simply pointing out that you can't really compare the two due to their differences. You can't expect the same type of service from SU and a big box store. Same thing, that's all.

And SU works for many of us! To each his (or her) own! Personally I find the new SU colors cutting edge.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #50  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyKaydView Post
I am not a demo, but I love the new colors, so I won't be missing the old ones. I won't buy new ink pads. What I usually do is buy reinkers and use them on the pads that match the closest - for instance, I'll just buy Tangerine Tango and add it to my Only Orange pad. Then I'll label the pads. It doesn't make that big a difference to me and I won't have all those extra pads sitting around and the fresh ink will revive the old pads!
Hmm you're on to something here! I didn't have all the ink pads and if some old ones don't sell at my yard sale next month (old In Colors) I think I'll give this a go. I have the initial In Color pads from 07/08 and might try to see if I can make the Marigold Morning into Daffodil Delight.

Thanks for the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by melolearyView Post
I actually adore it too, LOL! My demo was so sad 5 yrs ago when they disc the lighter burgundy but I like the darker one so much better!

I love *both* PTI and SU and love having so many color choices. But I do think it's funny (in a nice way) how people say SU is dated and PTI has fresh colors when there are so many SU colors that are so close to PTI. They have a color similar to Mauve Mist, Pale Plum (or whatever it's called), Cameo Coral, Only Orange, Summer Sun, and others. I think that PTI has a fabulous DT and they make their colors look fresh every week and SU only has one catty a year (now) so we don't see their DT projects as often and maybe they seem tired after seeing them continually for a year.

Another funny thing about SU having dated colors is that some of the retired colors are matches for some of the current Basic Grey like the new kitchen one and the Kioshi one. I never thought anything would ever go with that sorry old Sage to make me like it, LOL! It's all about marketing and making something look new and fresh!

But I love the new SU colors and I'm mostly glad they are making the change (with some few heartaches involved, haha!) I know my demo is glad sales-wise since I ordered so many reinkers last night she felt guilty for me, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #52  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Oh, me too! Looks so pretty with Bordering Blue (well, that's going.....) and SILVER for wintery snowflake cards. It's also one of my DD's school colors, so I'm glad it's staying for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #53  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Its so amazing

To hear everyones preferences! I for one have never even opened my bravo burgandy or bordering blue but LOVE Yo yo and Brilliant blue, good thing we all have different tastes or life would be boring! I am excited about the new colours
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I had Stamp Club last Thursday night and that is when I found out. I was VERY UPSET at first, but then after a day or two of looking at the new colors, I too came around. I have most of the SU colors and used all of them! My demo showed me a sample of some of the new colors and I think it is going to be okay! LOL
Have a good night everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Someone said she is sorry there is no purple in the new colors. Me too as it is one of my favorite colors! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyKaydView Post
Now that is a thought! Duh! Can even rinse them out if you feel like it I'm sure Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

In fact, they sort-of did -- One of the factors they used in deciding what to keep and what to drop was sales figures. Even though it may feel to you as though you buy enough of a particular color to justify its continued sale, I guarantee SU isn't deliberately cutting its own profits by cutting successful product. I know, for example, that I am going to miss all the light purply colors, and I wish that we were keeping at least one of them, but it's possible that people were spreading their light purple needs across Almost Amethyst, Lavendar Lace (my personal fave), Lovely Lilac, Orchid Opulence, and Pale Plum (my other personal fave), and so no single one of those had excellent sales figures. The same could be true of the greens, or the blues, or any other group people are mourning.

I do think some of the choices are strange. I've never, for instance, heard anyone say that they really adore Bravo Burgundy or Always Artichoke, and while I love Pink Pirouette, I'm not positive we need both it and Pretty in Pink, but not Pixie Pink or Pink Passion. But I'm willing to give the new collections a shot and enjoy finding new favorite combinations. (I'm definnitely loving Cherry Cobbler and Daffodil Delight . . . )
I know what you're saying about the Pink Pirouette and Pretty in Pink - that was my initial reaction too but then I went back and looked and they were different. To me Pretty in Pink is a pale, traditional baby pink whereas Pink Pirouette is less saturated and works great with some of the reds that Pretty in Pink wouldn't work with.

But the real reason I responded was to talk about the Pixie Pink/Pink Passion thing...my favorite color in the world is HOT PINK but neither of them did it for me. Then I met Melon Mambo!!! LOVE!!! And Melon Mambo is staying so I'm thrilled about that (I thought maybe you didn't know there'd still be a hot pink in the brights collection). May Melon Mambo live forever!!!

The new colors are absolutely gorgeous!!! I cannot wait until June 1st so I can order them (tempted to expedite!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 06:22 AM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
She was simply pointing out that you can't really compare the two due to their differences. You can't expect the same type of service from SU and a big box store. Same thing, that's all.

And SU works for many of us! To each his (or her) own! Personally I find the new SU colors cutting edge.
Thanks Mindy! Not sure the other poster got what I was saying so I appreciate you trying to help clarify. Let's be honest everything just can't fit in that catalog and I "need" some more die cuts so I'm not willing to sacrifice pages for a 100 color collection!!! So excited about the new change - so much fresher.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #59  

Quote:

Thanks Mindy! Not sure the other poster got what I was saying so I appreciate you trying to help clarify. Let's be honest everything just can't fit in that catalog and I "need" some more die cuts so I'm not willing to sacrifice pages for a 100 color collection!!! So excited about the new change - so much fresher.
Np! And I love your melon mambo (may it live forever) comment....you sound like Jan Tink talking about Shelli, LOL. I love the melon color....in fact it's my wedding color so I'm really happy it's sticking around!!!!!!! I'm excited about all the new ribbons and accessories it looks like we'll be getting after reading the SS! I love me some ribbon!!!!!!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 06:04 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Np! And I love your melon mambo (may it live forever) comment....you sound like Jan Tink talking about Shelli, LOL. I love the melon color....in fact it's my wedding color so I'm really happy it's sticking around!!!!!!! I'm excited about all the new ribbons and accessories it looks like we'll be getting after reading the SS! I love me some ribbon!!!!!!
That's hilarious that you thought that as I would never attempt to sound like Jan Tink - she is such a personality that I don't think anyone can be like her. Black and Pink were my wedding colors as well - sounds like you and I are kindred spirits as only hot pink lovers can be!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

"Change" is generally upsetting to a lot of people. It upsets their comfort zone. It is not always good for many. Personally, I was surprised they were retiring so many at once! I am a little disappointed that there doesn't seem to be many pastels. I do like a lot of the new ones, and am thrilled that the New IN Colors will be around for 2 years! I feel bad for the newer demos who invested so much in getting what they thought they needed, only to have so many colors (etc) retire. I believe SU is a good Co. to be involved with and so they will probably do many things to make it easier for these new demos to replenish with whats new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

I was disappointed at first, because some of my favorite colors were being done away with. But, even though I don't like some of the in-colors that are permanently coming back, I am getting excited to see some of the new colors (cherry cobbler looks lovely). I never have enough card stock, so I will buy the colors I like and they will go in my stash along with my old SU and my PTI. I did have to stock up on Bordering Blue. I use that color a lot and it was the only one that I was sure I couldn't live without! Other than that, I am ready to make a clean break with the rest and move on to the new colors. I am hoping that my demo will have some samples of the new colors to show me when I go to her next class.

Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

I was quite shocked that with all the colours they were retiring I will only miss one of them; Brocade Blue. the new colour line up has no earthy-denim type blue. Maybe they will bring out an in colour like it instead but just in case I'm going to pick a few re-inkers in that one colour. I was so happy to see all the new browns! I have been wanting a really dark almost black brown for quite some time so I am super happy with the Espresso colour. I also love Garden green. I was not happy with any of the old greens. They were either too earthy or too bright. Garden green is just perfect and I think it may become my new fav colour.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I think it's funny to read about what colors everyone is going to miss because we're all so different! In almost 4 years as a demo and a customer prior to that I never bought Brocade Blue or Bordering Blue, I have a package of Almost Amethyst that I think I've used two sheets of (and I've had it for over a year), I really only use Real Red and Tempting Turquoise out of Bold Brights, and I can't keep Mellow Moss and Sage Shadow straight.

I've really started liking Taken with Teal, though, so it'll be hard to see it go along with Close to Cocoa and Ruby Red (which I use quite regularly).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #65  

It really is a major change! I do have to say though, when I looked at the chart of what is retiring, my first thought was..."oh...those are colors I seldom use or have to make myself use!" Then when I looked at the new color families it was 'wow...those are the colors I use!'. The new colors are just SOOO pretty and I LOVE that they are not only bringing back some of my very favorite incolors the new incolors are going to be around for 2 years! Sometimes it takes me a little while before I start liking a color and by then it is gone.

I do have to say though, I tend to be one of those people who likes change. But the new colors are REALLY pretty.
Creative Crew SU Design Team, Spring 2012 CAS Design Team member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #66  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I do think some of the choices are strange. I've never, for instance, heard anyone say that they really adore Bravo Burgundy or Always Artichoke, and while I love Pink Pirouette, I'm not positive we need both it and Pretty in Pink, but not Pixie Pink or Pink Passion.
I see your point and I agree to an extent.

There are some colours that are just plain good colours, imo. Pacific Point is a strong, attractive blue that I just adore. Even love how it looks as a naked sheet in my paper holder. Old Olive is another for me, as are Tangerine Tango, Pumpkin Pie, Tempting Turquoise, Chocolate Chip and some others.

So there are colours like that; in and of themselves they're pretty.

Colours like Elegant Eggplant and Bravo Burgandy are dull and drab to look at just sitting there in a packet, but once you combine them with the right partner (I actually really like BB with Night of Navy). So while I don't love those two on their own, they have their uses and I'm glad they're sticking around. They work for Christmas cards, I think.

I am not sure what combo I'll use them with now that H.Hunter is gone, though.... Navy, as I mentioned, with the Burgandy. Not sure about E.Eggplant.. Maybe O.Olive. I don't like it with the dark blue of N.Navy.
Reply With Quote Likes