Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #121  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the ladies who has posted all the logistics of how we are getting ripped off. Because truly that is how I feel as a customer. I am being ripped off plain and simple. I took a look at my demo's catty and admit I was terribly dissapointed. Not only was there nothing really special in them, the prices were jacked up. I have to say I'm with alot of other Canadian customers. I will be very selective and buy only the basics from them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #122  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is my reply from SU regarding my complaint to them about the CAD price increases. Basically it says that's the way it goes. Form letter? Maybe. If so, means to me it's a pat answer to everyone who isn't happy with them. Also, if the cattie was put into being 7 mos. ago and the dollar wasn't great then why not send some kind of adjustment now that it's better. We aren't living 7 mos. ago, we are living in the now.

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding price in the new catalog. We evaluate product pricing based on a number of factors. Please be aware the company works hard to establish fair and valued pricing, and in addition to the exchange rate, there are other business costs, including Revenue Canada corporate income taxes and pricing and cost structure regulations for affiliated entities doing business across borders, that need to be and are considered in pricing.
While the exchange rate is only one factor in pricing considerations for Canada, dramatic changes in the exchange rate are cause for price adjustments. Because the Canadian dollar weakened seven months ago and has seen limited recovery since then, we have found it necessary to adjust our prices.

Thank you once again for your e-mail. Please let us know if you have any further questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Stampin' Up!R
Demonstrator Support
Tim Lewis
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #123  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetteringMamaView Post
Also, if the cattie was put into being 7 mos. ago and the dollar wasn't great then why not send some kind of adjustment now that it's better. We aren't living 7 mos. ago, we are living in the now.
They should be doing that. Didn't they do that a couple of catties back. I remember getting an adjustment sheet from my demo and it came out a couple of weeks after the catty came out. So here 's to hoping they will smarten up and do the same. I'm not holding my breath!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #124  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default !

In all fairness, the exchange rate, back at November 1, 2008 was 1.243.

However, the current rate as of a couple of days ago was 1.13 and yahoo reports that the Canadian dollar is gaining strength.

As a consumer, I can understand the price increase,back in November, however, given that the Canadian dollar is gaining strength, I fully expect a price adjustment.

I for one am one who monitors the daily rate, and yes, the cataloge was developed 7 months ago, and I believe that SU! has a business and community responsibility to adjust their prices accordingly. Certainly, not on a daily basis, but if they thought that no one would notice, then they are sorely mistaken and likely making a significant error in judgement in not adjusting accordingly.

Now, here's a bit of trivia . . . did you know that a single unsatisfied customer has the ability of reaching and influencing over 400 other potential customers? Think on that for a minute. It is my opinion that SU! should think twice before underestimating the Canadian consumer. We don't have the numbers that the US does, but we have enough to put a serious dent in their bottom line.

I'd still like to see some kind of response that doesn't come in a can. They're behaving suspiciously like a federal government entity. No one like them either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #125  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
In all fairness, the exchange rate, back at November 1, 2008 was 1.243.

However, the current rate as of a couple of days ago was 1.13 and yahoo reports that the Canadian dollar is gaining strength.

As a consumer, I can understand the price increase,back in November, however, given that the Canadian dollar is gaining strength, I fully expect a price adjustment.

I for one am one who monitors the daily rate, and yes, the cataloge was developed 7 months ago, and I believe that SU! has a business and community responsibility to adjust their prices accordingly. Certainly, not on a daily basis, but if they thought that no one would notice, then they are sorely mistaken and likely making a significant error in judgement in not adjusting accordingly.

Now, here's a bit of trivia . . . did you know that a single unsatisfied customer has the ability of reaching and influencing over 400 other potential customers? Think on that for a minute. It is my opinion that SU! should think twice before underestimating the Canadian consumer. We don't have the numbers that the US does, but we have enough to put a serious dent in their bottom line.

I'd still like to see some kind of response that doesn't come in a can. They're behaving suspiciously like a federal government entity. No one like them either!
Well said Wenchie. It's true- every unhappy customer will tell 10 of their friends and family who in turn will tell 10 of their friends and family. You can get 400 unhappy customers very quickly. I am sincerely hoping that Stampin Up will re-think their pricing and perhaps send out a revised price list that more accurately reflects the exchange rate.

Still crossing my fingers...5 days for them to see the light...

P.S. I still haven't seen a response from SU since I challenged them on their canned letter...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #126  
Rubber Obsessor

I'd be interested in knowing if the prices went up in the Australia/New Zealand, or the European catalogues. Does anybody know?

Last edited by ColtsGoalieMom; 06-26-2009 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #127  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColtsGoalieMomView Post
I'd be interested in knowing if the prices went up in the Australia/New Zealand, or the European catalogues. Does anybody know?
I don't know ... those catalogues run on a different schedule - they don't start on July 1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #128  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Hello all,
still haven't heard from SU just Tim.
Wenchie are you enjoying our 50-75 cm of rain we are having? lol
jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #129  

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiejenView Post
Hello all,
jen
Could you please keep the rain there ... don't send it back this way! I'm enjoying the sunshine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #130  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by terribooView Post
Many people think this, but it's unfortunately not true (been eBaying for over 10 years so I have a lot of experience over the years as both buyer and seller).

USPS gets packages to the border and then its up to Canada Post what gets stopped or not.....

Unless a company pays brokerage fees ahead of time (like SU does with UPS) everything is up for grabs when it crosses the border. Canada Post can only stop a small portion of items flowing into Canada, so they usually target only higher end items and bigger packages especially. Depending on the entry point into Canada, some are more strict than others.

debzi333 above stated that she does not often get packages stopped but for me here, its almost 50% of packages...

Of course, items marked "gift" and under 50$ never usually get stopped...

Stuff marked 50$+ value get more scrutiny even if marked gift.....

I too will never buy from sellers shipping UPS into Canada as their "handling fees" are way higher than Canada Post

You can get lucky at times....I bought 100$ US worth of Copics from merriartist who ships to Canada only via USPS Priority ($19 envelope) and was expecting to have to pay and in 5 days it arrived straight into my mailbox...so we can get lucky at times......

I think its good to expect to pay taxes and get a nice surprise when we don't have too:-)

Terri

Wow! I'm so surprised that you get so many parcels pulled for provincial taxes and the 5 bucks that the post office charges to collect those funds. I do try to keep my orders below $50 dollars usually - and the post office doesn't capture those often. Though I have had things work over $200.00 arrive priority post and still not paid the charge - things must be kinder at the BC entry point. There are actually very few entry points into Canada for US stuff.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #131  

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
Could you please keep the rain there ... don't send it back this way! I'm enjoying the sunshine!
I feel so bad for Alberta this Spring. You had terrible weather. I don't think I've seen rain quite so long and heavy like this. It's like a Monsoon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #132  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Hello all,
jen
I'm building me an ark and selling tickets lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #133  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

I feel so bad for Alberta this Spring. You had terrible weather. I don't think I've seen rain quite so long and heavy like this. It's like a Monsoon.
We had a very cold and rather dreary spring here in Alberta, with summer taking forever to get here - but many areas of the province have already been declared disaster areas because of a severe lack of rain - farmers are plowing their crops under (my brother included) because those crops that survived freezing when they first came up have since burned up in the heat. So, Edmonton must be getting something the rest of the province isn't if people are complaining about rain! Sorry about the hijack...it's just that rain has been on our prayer list since the last of the snow melted because we aren't getting any to speak of!

As far as the original topic of this thread and CDN SU price increases, I'm quite surprised at how much some things have apparently gone up. Haven't had my hands on a new catalogue yet so can only go by what I've been told. I have friends who winter in the US - may have to get them to order for me from a US demo and pick it up when we go south to visit. I usually have room in my allowable limits when we go to the States - even if I had to pay duty when we crossed the border on our way home, I think it would be a better deal by the sounds of it...
Founding Member of the Punchkateerz - "You don't have to be crazy to be one of us, but it sure helps."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #134  

Being a SU demo, it's important to know what our customers may be saying and so I've been following this conversation with great interest. And while I'm a demo, I'm not blind either

I'd be interested to know if all prices for craft products in Canada have gone up. It may give an indication of a general price increase that may reflect costs we don't see. It's a thought, anyway.

I tend to agree with the majority opinion here in the overall disappointment with the price increase. I strongly encourage each one of you to email as I see some of you have. Yes, you may well receive a form email, but I know from experience that the more letters they receive, the more likely a possibility of change in the future. Even if there is change, it may not happen until later in the year (remember that the 7% off chart happened in November, I think?).

About the form letters ... I've received form letters in the past, and while it does not feel satisfactory, at the very least you know your letter has been received. Also, the people that receive your letters are not equipped, perhaps, to give you any more information than what they have. They simply field the emails and forward them on to the correct departments. It would be better if a response would come from that department although I have *never* seen an email from other than demonstrator support.

Anyways, that's my two bits!

and yes, the weather has been somewhat awful for Alberta but we've been enjoying what sunshine we're getting, even though we need the rain! In our area (I'm about two hours west of Gail/basketballmom), it's been sunny every morning and turns real cloudy and thunderstorm-ish every afternoon. It's actually kind of nice -- the house cools down quickly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #135  

I forgot about the farmers! Which I shouldn't, since my brother is one! OK, I'll take some rain ... just not a monsoon, OK?

Back to OP ...
What Renee said. Telling your demo. Emailing SU! I believe it does make a difference. It just may take time. As demos, we have seen changes happen because customers and demos have emailed the company to request change.

I really have appreciated hearing your input. I just wish I could help.

But right now ... I should probably go stamp something pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #136  
Inking Addict

Oh boy, am I torn right now...I really want to buy the SU colour caddy but if I order online I can't order the new catty yet...so then I have to wait til July 1st to order the new catty and pay $15.00 more for the colour caddy...what to do, what to do???

And the only reason why I want the new catty right now is to get some project ideas...since I am still debating if I am going to continue to order from them.

Oh the decisions I have to make...help!!! ;)

And yes, I'm getting really bummed about all this boring dry weather...how am I supposed to be a storm chaser without any storms to chase? It also pains me to sign over all my paycheques to EPCOR to pay for my water bill since I have to water my lawn as it just won't rain...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #137  

Wenchie and I will sail over to Alberta with buckets of rain and a few animals.
emailing SU is indeed a good idea, and I agree if they see a pattern they may step up to the plate. After all every company wants your business.
Hope everyone has had a good day and night
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #138  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 48 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

I forgot about the farmers! Which I shouldn't, since my brother is one! OK, I'll take some rain ... just not a monsoon, OK?
OK, no monsoons either! With you completely on that one!

And, yes I will let my demo friends and SU know my feelings on the new pricing... I know that things have to go up in price from time to time but (and I say this as a devoted punch purchaser...) I do find it odd that the Cdn prices on punches have gone up dramatically while the US prices didn't change... Figure me that one... My LSS sells EK Success punches of the same sizes as the 19.95 punches in the recent SU catalogues for 17.99 and I don't have to add 10% S/H on top of that. I'm learning to like the punches I find there better just because of price...and she'll special order any that I ask about. But perhaps when I finally get to see what new punches are actually in the soon to be made public to "those-of-us-who-don't-live-close-to-our-SU-demo-catalogue" I'll crater and buy them regardless of inflated prices. But I will wait until Stamp club resumes in September and make it part of an order I've committed to make...
Founding Member of the Punchkateerz - "You don't have to be crazy to be one of us, but it sure helps."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #139  

good points made. Because of this thread I've really been reflecting on SU and all of my purchasing. I think most of us have a commonality to "create" and express. It is a wonderful thing. For myself, I've gotten away from the actual "creating" and my supplies just sit there and sit there. I'm busy as are you. I work as do most of us and I'm a mom of two very busy children. By the time my stuff is hauled out and I've made my 1 or 2 cards that cost anywhere from 50-100 dollars in supplies. I simply have to reflect on this.
I'm really content with the sets that I do have. I want to break my "I need it" mentality. Yes this is better and that is better with SU but....after the birthday card has been opened it is generally thrown out right? My 'quality" of paper used doesn't matter if it is in a re-cycling bin. Sorry to sound like Eeyore, I really am not. I'm quite upbeat and excited to get back to my truelove which is scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #140  
Inking Addict

Wow, you raise some good points about collecting vs. actually using your stuff. I'm still relatively new at all this stampin stuff (and have never tried scrapbooking) but I seem to have an awful lot. I am a collector by nature so in retrospect, this may be a dangerous hobby for me. ;)

I just can't help myself...it's like being attracted to shiny things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #141  

Maybe you were a squirrel in another life???? They like shiny things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #142  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TornadogirlView Post
Wow, you raise some good points about collecting vs. actually using your stuff. I'm still relatively new at all this stampin stuff (and have never tried scrapbooking) but I seem to have an awful lot. I am a collector by nature so in retrospect, this may be a dangerous hobby for me. ;)

I just can't help myself...it's like being attracted to shiny things.
Well, then, you need to get using your stuff! Grab one of your sets, look in the gallery, and CASE a card!
Or call your friendly demo - she can give you some ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #143  
Kookie Creator

Hi Ladies,

I have reading this thread with some interest. I can definitely say that I agree with you on the increasing costs from all companies (and not necessarily SU) selling to Canada. And I feel that as Canadians we always get the short-end of the stick when it comes to pricing and shipping costs. (I do some airbrushing as well and order in speciality paper to do that with and I always get dinged with insane shipping costs, etc...)

When our Dollar was high (and at par) some of the items that I bought online were more expensive as many of the US companies I bought from raised their prices to compensate for our dollar being higher...

It is frustrating and annoying, I agree. Keep sending your emails in to SU, as there is power in numbers. I believe that you receive a form letter back as many of the people working the front line may not know the full reasonings or may not have been given as much information. Also, I know with my own employer, we use form letters so that there is consistency and professionalism in every letter that leaves our office. Still, frustrating and annoying, but don't stop. We have a voice and we need to continue to express our opinions... and hopefully SU (and the other companies) will change.

Now, about the weather... Lesley, I agree!! We need rain - so I don't need to continue to use my stamp money to water my lawn

And for what do about the hoarding? I'm no help there ... as I am hoarder all the way! But have learned to start to use the items I have and to create more things. For Mother's Day, I made my mom a tin of 15 cards that she could for different occasions. She loved it and will use them, and I loved making them so it was win-win.

There a lot of great ideas and samples to use here on SCS as well as the many talented blogs... Catties will be out tomorrow and believe you me, there are some great new things you'll love... (maybe not the prices - but definitely the product - lol!)

Ladies, have a great Canada Day tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #144  
Rubber Obsessor

I keep returning to this thread to see the new updates.
I haven't yet bought from SU, I was just going to track down a rep. Now that I'm reading all your posts I'm definitely doing a double take.
So the people that are saying 1 unhappy customers reach many more, I would have to agree with that.
Still on the fence and I think I'll just keep buying from my LSS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #145  

Quote:

Originally Posted by gayle3131View Post
I keep returning to this thread to see the new updates.
I haven't yet bought from SU, I was just going to track down a rep. Now that I'm reading all your posts I'm definitely doing a double take.
So the people that are saying 1 unhappy customers reach many more, I would have to agree with that.
Still on the fence and I think I'll just keep buying from my LSS.
I know that there are demos in Whitecourt ... you can find them on the SU! website ... or check out the demos that post here on SCS. If you need help finding somebody in Whitecourt, send me a PM.

Some of them will have specials. Other specials are coming soon.
Yup, it's still going to cost more tomorrow than today ... but I'd urge you to take the time to look at SU! before you give up on it.

... Or go look at a demo website today and place an on-line order before prices go up tomorrow! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #146  

Quote:

I know that there are demos in Whitecourt ... you can find them on the SU! website ... or check out the demos that post here on SCS. If you need help finding somebody in Whitecourt, send me a PM.

Some of them will have specials. Other specials are coming soon.
Yup, it's still going to cost more tomorrow than today ... but I'd urge you to take the time to look at SU! before you give up on it.

... Or go look at a demo website today and place an on-line order before prices go up tomorrow! ;)
Gail, isn't Raelene in Whitecourt? I can't remember her SCS username though ... I think she's my sideline or something like that! and I'm in Edson, only an hour away.

and yes, I echo exactly what you're saying! The prices may go up tomorrow, but they are still decent prices and somewhat comparable to a LSS especially considering the quality. There are so many good features to the products that SU has to offer. (I'm sounding like a choir, aren't I?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #147  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetteringMamaView Post
Also, if the cattie was put into being 7 mos. ago and the dollar wasn't great then why not send some kind of adjustment now that it's better. We aren't living 7 mos. ago, we are living in the now.
This won't make you feel better, but we were in Canada last year and the value was within pennies of each other, literally. It was just as easy to pay American - the literal 6 cent difference was far cheaper than the rat eto exchange the money, and why would oyu bother for 6 cents on the dollar?

I have thought about the prices being so high for you ladies and wondered why that was, given the values. :( I understand there may be greater shipping charges, but still.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 09:35 AM   #148  
Rubber Obsessor

I actually think there may be 2 reps here, that's the word on the street anyhow.
I'm sure I'll still check it out, but the longer I wait the less I'll spend.
I have a hard time with catalogues. I make my list add it up and I want over $200 worth. Then I start scratching off items to get it down. That's for that order, then I place another in a couple weeks, EEK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #149  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi

me to I am questioning myself about the price increase. If it continue like this it will be 10$CAN for a ink pad in 5 years. ???

I do not know why the price are going up that much. If they have to they have to but I would be frustrated if they just increase the prices to to grab more profit over a same item bought in UAS VS bought in Canada or also Australia...I am also questionning myself about the fact that we have to order for 400$/quarter. What is the US$ amount?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #150  
Inking Addict

Okay, okay, I caved- I bought the colour caddy, darn it! I just COULDN'T justify paying $14 more for it tomorrow. Besides I just got a 98% overall mark in my Business Computing course at MacEwan so I decided to treat myself.

And I guess I am going to get the new catty. I have made a decision- I won't boycott SU (as I love my demo, Amanda) but I am really going to have to spend less and use more of what I have. (I am sure learning a lot from everyone in this thread!)

I still am holding out for SU to do the right thing though. Keep sending the emails ladies- I know I will continue to fight the good fight! I still believe that a reduction in sales may still prompt Stampin' Up to rethink their pricing strategy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #151  
Stazon Splitcoast

Congratulations on the 98% You deserve a treat, lol!

I'm not going to defend SU or bash them either. Of course I feel for Canadian frustrations...it totally sucks when prices go up so much. I do know, though, that I've seen SU lower prices for Canadians as well, so I don't view this increase as a matter of greed. They needed to make an adjustment, and this time it didn't go in the customers' favor, sadly. Anybody remember the year they had to print an adjustment formula to go in catalogs to LOWER the prices? They could have stayed with the prices that were printed in the catalog, but because the costs dropped so much after the catalog was set to print, they didn't feel it was fair to stick CAnadians with that just because it might have been easier.

I know that it's tough to compare prices from US Company A that operates in the US but ships to Canada with US Company B that is a US corporation doing business IN Canada. Company A doesn't have to pay any business taxes that the Canadian government imposes on foreign companies operating in their country. Do I know exactly what all the taxes are? No. But it costs SU more to earn a dollar in Canada than in the US.

I think if it were simply a matter of greed on SU's part, there would have been a similar, across-the-board price increase in all catalogs, US included. Instead, there are just some areas where prices have gone up, areas where increases were necessary. Sizzix items are more expensive, for one.

I don't blame anybody for being upset, believe me. Hopefully things will improve enough for another, downward, adjustment...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #152  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TornadogirlView Post
Okay, okay, I caved- I bought the colour caddy, darn it! I just COULDN'T justify paying $14 more for it tomorrow. Besides I just got a 98% overall mark in my Business Computing course at MacEwan so I decided to treat myself.

And I guess I am going to get the new catty. I have made a decision- I won't boycott SU (as I love my demo, Amanda) but I am really going to have to spend less and use more of what I have. (I am sure learning a lot from everyone in this thread!)

I still am holding out for SU to do the right thing though. Keep sending the emails ladies- I know I will continue to fight the good fight! I still believe that a reduction in sales may still prompt Stampin' Up to rethink their pricing strategy.
Congrats on the AWESOME mark! You definitely deserved to reward yourself with something ... and a colour caddy sounds like the perfect treat!
You probably also just made your demo really happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #153  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Congratulations on the 98% You deserve a treat, lol!

I'm not going to defend SU or bash them either. Of course I feel for Canadian frustrations...it totally sucks when prices go up so much. I do know, though, that I've seen SU lower prices for Canadians as well, so I don't view this increase as a matter of greed. They needed to make an adjustment, and this time it didn't go in the customers' favor, sadly. Anybody remember the year they had to print an adjustment formula to go in catalogs to LOWER the prices? They could have stayed with the prices that were printed in the catalog, but because the costs dropped so much after the catalog was set to print, they didn't feel it was fair to stick CAnadians with that just because it might have been easier.

I know that it's tough to compare prices from US Company A that operates in the US but ships to Canada with US Company B that is a US corporation doing business IN Canada. Company A doesn't have to pay any business taxes that the Canadian government imposes on foreign companies operating in their country. Do I know exactly what all the taxes are? No. But it costs SU more to earn a dollar in Canada than in the US.

I think if it were simply a matter of greed on SU's part, there would have been a similar, across-the-board price increase in all catalogs, US included. Instead, there are just some areas where prices have gone up, areas where increases were necessary. Sizzix items are more expensive, for one.

I don't blame anybody for being upset, believe me. Hopefully things will improve enough for another, downward, adjustment...
I wrote a letter one time asking them (SU) what exactly those cross border fees were and why does it cost so much to do business across the border and they never answered.

One thing could be wages for Canadian employees. Unless someone is willing to give answers to those questions consumers are always going to wonder. We were suppose to have a free trade agreement with the US.

My beef with the price increase was that the prices were already higher than the American catty and then they increase it by a further ten percent all the while leaving the American prices frozen. I would assume that they froze the prices because of the American economy. News flash, we suffer from the same economic downturn as our neighbour.

I love the company I probably will buy the odd item once and a while. The difference will be not as much. It has left me with a bitter taste as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #154  
Stazon Splitcoast

They didn't leave the US prices frozen...there were some price increases. There were some items I purchased now rather than in July to save a few bucks. The Movers and Shapers die, for example...another $3. I can't think of others off the top of my head, but that could be the drugs, lol...

My main point was just that there are a lot of factors that aren't always apparent...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #155  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

They didn't leave the US prices frozen...there were some price increases. There were some items I purchased now rather than in July to save a few bucks. The Movers and Shapers die, for example...another $3. I can't think of others off the top of my head, but that could be the drugs, lol...

My main point was just that there are a lot of factors that aren't always apparent...
Sorry, earlier in this thread someone spoke of prices remaining the same in the US catty.

All I ask for is fair pricing adjustments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #156  
Inking Addict

Just wanted to take a minute to wish all my Canadian friends a fun-filled (and safe) Canada Day. Although we get TOTALLY shafted by SU being in Canada, at least we don't have to worry about healthcare like our US friends do. (Trying to put a positive spin on being Canadian!) ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #157  
Inking Addict

Okay Ladies,

Let's get down to business...here are some of the new prices...

8 1/2 x 11 c/s went up $.75
Assorted 8 1/2 x 11 c/s up $1.00
Classic Stampin Pads up $1.00
Ink Refills up $.45
Stampin Write Markers up $.55
DSP up $1.50
Most larger punches are indeed $3.00 more!
1/4 grosgrain ribbon up $1.25

I was sad to see that Circle Circus is almost $40.00 and Teeny Tiny Wishes is almost $50.00- OUCH!!!!

Yes, defintely will have to curtail my spending. Darned glad I did get my colour caddy yesterday as it is now $15.00 more today!

Let me know what you ladies think about the prices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #158  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirlView Post
Sorry, earlier in this thread someone spoke of prices remaining the same in the US catty.

All I ask for is fair pricing adjustments.
(((Gracey'sgirl))) Oh, absolutely! I think we all know that, and can certainly relate. I just feel bad when the assumption seems to be that it's not fair, when in reality we don't know that for sure, kwim? Nobody here blames you all for feeling the pain, though! Fair or not, price increases suck...:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #159  
Inking Addict

Quote:

(((Gracey'sgirl))) Oh, absolutely! I think we all know that, and can certainly relate. I just feel bad when the assumption seems to be that it's not fair, when in reality we don't know that for sure, kwim? Nobody here blames you all for feeling the pain, though! Fair or not, price increases suck...:(
You totally have a valid and fair perspective on this. Unfortunately, it really is easy to assume that the prices did stay the same in the US catty. In speaking with some of my friends in the US that are big SU buyers, they mentioned that they really didn't notice any major price increases in their new catty. My concern here is that while everyone's prices may have gone up (US, Canada), it was the size of the price increases that Canadians have seen in the new catty (anywhere from 10-20%) that was frustrating.

And yes, price increases TOTALLY suck! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #160  
Die Cut Diva

And the time that SU lowered the Canadian prices with a price adjustment, it was only because of the HUGE backlash from the Canadian customers. I do understand some prices being higher, but pretty much EVERYTHING in the new catalogue has gone up for us, at least as far as I can tell.
Reply With Quote Likes